ADVERTISEMENT

How many trans people do you know personally?

Several and I give it as little thought as my friends that are white, African American, Mexican, Chinese, gay, straight, lesbian, factory workers, executives, alcoholic, addict, normie or whatever the hell. Be a good person, be accepting and empathetic and encourage others to do so as well. People shouldn't need a label to decide how to treat someone. I think people would be very surprised how powerful basic human respect can be.

Last edited:
So you’re telling me you talk to people exactly the same whether male, female or whatever they classify as.
I feel like that is probably impossible. I suppose age doesn’t make a difference either?
Yes, I do. I don't have a list of topics to pull out George Costanza style depending on the gender of the person I'm looking at.

I talk to adults the same no matter the age (maybe louder for the geezers).

Zero. But I’d like to count Tarp. I also run into a trans woman at our Sam’s Club who works there. My sister was gay and I’m lucky enough to know many in the LGBTQ community through her. I might have an acquaintance that is trans through my sister’s group of friends.

I don’t know any trans, can’t say I even know of any. I really don’t know any gay people as far as I know either, except from FB I know an old high school classmate is but I haven’t seen him in over 40 years.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Kind of a weird thing to count...20 or so that I know of over the last few years.

In my job I meet a lot of people. Probably way more than I realize.

Not something I really pay attention to...as Depeche puts it...people are people.

(Obviously I have the athletic competition issue)

Reactions: BrianNole777
Well because I talk differently to different genders.
If it’s a male I can get into a conversation about sports or male type topics.
If it’s a female I can turn towards more female topics. But I suppose I’m terrible for doing that because I’m stereotyping
hahahahaha this is amazing. Thank you.

As for the question for the thread, I don't know any. There's a gal at the gym I go to that is trans, but its a gym. Everyone is going about their workouts and minding their own business.

Know two hot lesbians next door. Gave me a Rolex recently. I think they got confused when I said, “I wanna watch”.

Earlier today I saw some people walk out of a jewelry store and say "they had dat green faced rolo, did you see that shit?" It was a real B-rad from Malibu's Most Wanted situation.

I don't know any myself but have seen 3 in person in the last decade while out and about.

One was in downtown Baltimore and I felt sad because that's a rough place to live regardless.

How many do you know? What's their story?
I was deployed with a guy who’s now a woman. There are trans people in the military who have fought and continue to fight on the front lines.

Not that I’m out marching and advocating for LGBTQ+ rights, but anyone who believes they don’t deserve the same rights as any other American can show themselves out.

Several. I know probably half a dozen or so that I regularly see and hang out with although a couple of them have moved away so I don't see them regularly anymore obviously. Then there is another handful that are more acquaintances but am friendly with when I see them. Then a few more that I know of but don't really know them personally.

I think it's interesting I haven't seen any of the regular trans haters that love to jump into these threads and be dickheads post that they know any. I do have several on ignore though so maybe I missed some.

When I talk to female coworkers I call them sweetie or honey and stick to what they are making for supper and if they have sewn or knitted anything lately. Guys I call Bruh or Dawg and we share locker room talk, which gals are looking especially hot, and who is getting the UFC PPV 😂

Several. I know probably half a dozen or so that I regularly see and hang out with although a couple of them have moved away so I don't see them regularly anymore obviously. Then there is another handful that are more acquaintances but am friendly with when I see them. Then a few more that I know of but don't really know them personally.

I think it's interesting I haven't seen any of the regular trans haters that love to jump into these threads and be dickheads post that they know any. I do have several on ignore though so maybe I missed some.

What state do you live in?

Because you know that she's devisive among the anti-trans movement, and you know that its going to provoke people to bring out transphobic rhetoric. That isn't helping anyone, and it's doing more harm than good.

Even if its a gag thread, the only thing you said is "Not a woman."

You can have whatever views you'd like on if trans should be allowed in sporting events, but you made a thread to disparage her. If you truly treat everyone with the same respect, maybe start with Lia Thomas.
You have made mistakes. Let me fix them:

1) This is a relatively depraved, anonymous, off topic sports board. The level of harm incurred societally from making a joke at the expense of a much debated about public figure in Lia Thomas is next to nothing.

If you're really concerned about this level of harm you're really concerned about 100s of such incidents on this message board every day. I'm not giving this to you.

2) Yes, not a woman. As in, not a biological female -- or "woman" as it is colloquially known. The context of the joke was pretty obvious. There are lots of different contextual uses of woman -- you could a "woman" at a costume party. You could identify as a woman at the presentation layer. You be known to be a woman given your biological status. That's how language works.

3) Actually, it wasn't to disparage her. She was just the vehicle for a joke. And yes, we use all kinds of public figures like this daily on here. I will continue to do so with no remorse, and that's reasonable.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
I know two. One was a high school classmate who transitioned some time after high school. Growing up he was Mike. I always knew he was different, mostly assumed he was gay. She now goes by Amy, which is how I've referred to her when we saw each other at our 30th & 40th class reunions.

The other is the youngest child of one of my nephews (the youngest child of my oldest sibling). Grew up as Fred, shortly after high school graduation began the transition to become Chloe. As with my old classmate, it was always pretty clear that he was not a straight male growing up; I wasn't overly surprised when I found out about the transition. I'm not bothered in the least, it does not impact or affect my life in any way. Some of my family, particularly one of my sisters, has had a bad time dealing with it and will not acknowledge the transition or the new name. In conversation with other family members and I, she'll refer to Chloe as "their youngest child" or sometimes still uses the male birth name. She's my sister, and I love her as a sister, but I am disgusted by her anti-gay, anti-trans, religion-driven attitudes.
Sort of depends on the specifics of the person and whether or not it's believable that they're trans in an deep sense. Or if they just "got into something"

Shitty, just like every month.
Awkward Sewing Bee GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT