ADVERTISEMENT

How the heck did Burak get screwed like that?

The 4 seed is a lot tougher road than the 3 seed in that bracket. A load of crap.

Reactions: pinters
We didn't get screwed. Matter of fact, Gilman, Clark and Meyer in particular got fantastic draws. Sorenson's draw is fine. Cooper is actually in a decent spot if Miller is really injured. Rhoads is who he is. Brooks is in a rough quarter, but he also shouldn't be the two seed, so...

Burak got hosed, I agree. And Stoll is in about the right spot and not a bad one if he's recovered. Overall we were fine, but that one on Burak hurts.

Not that I necessarily agree, but Pfarr's other 2 losses were by close scores to McIntosh and Cox. He was 1-1 with Burak and had a win over Hartmann. I don't have access to the most recent RPI but I think it would be a safe assumption that Pfarr's is higher than Burak's.

Not that I necessarily agree, but Pfarr's other 2 losses were by close scores to McIntosh and Cox. He was 1-1 with Burak and had a win over Hartmann. I don't have access to the most recent RPI but I think it would be a safe assumption that Pfarr's is higher than Burak's.
More losses. Lost in the tourney to Burak. Those are two big factors.

In all reality, Hartmann is a guy that he would have to beat to be in the finals anyway. Burak's goal is to win a National Title, not to have a cake walk to the semi's. If he gets to the semi's, which I expect him to do, McIntosh is a better matchup than Cox. Cox is much more athletics and will cause all kinds of problems for him. Burak is right there with McIntosh. Plus it would be that much sweeter if he beat him to make the finals and give Iowa the lead heading into Saturday Morning.

In all reality, Hartmann is a guy that he would have to beat to be in the finals anyway. Burak's goal is to win a National Title, not to have a cake walk to the semi's. If he gets to the semi's, which I expect him to do, McIntosh is a better matchup than Cox. Cox is much more athletics and will cause all kinds of problems for him. Burak is right there with McIntosh. Plus it would be that much sweeter if he beat him to make the finals and give Iowa the lead heading into Saturday Morning.
Mcintosh is a worse matchup IMO. He is an ankle biter and gets in on Burak a lot! Cox may have athletic ability but he shoots a lot less and moves at a slower pace than Mcintosh. Not to mention Hartman who is right up there.

Mac has a tendency to piss it down his leg on Fridays. If we want to win the team title we need someone to do something unexpected, what better time than against PSU.

Last edited:
I'd think you guys would be happy about this - yes, he has Hartmann to battle it out with to even make it to the semis, but I'd much rather face McIntosh than J'Den Cox any day of the week.

Reactions: Huck and ih8iast8
The optimistic point of view would be that Burak finally figures out a way to take down McIntosh and it impacts the team race in Iowa's favor.

Like sorenson & gilman, if burak takes a shot in the b1g's final, he stood a good chance of winning.

Reactions: redghost1974

I agree on all of this. If he can just get the first takedown rather than Mcintosh. Otherwise, he could be facing another 3rd period trying to get through that head/hands defense which has proven difficult.

I can't see complaining about Burak's seed without jumping for joy over Sammy's Is there a way to figure the mullet into the seeding process. Then it all makes sense.

I concur...don't think it's a bad seeding at all...

Other than the Burak seed the rest are awesome with exception of maybe the Stoll seed but that's understandable.

Cooper got a terrific side of the bracket. Brooks could have an easy run up to the semi-finals and doesn't have any guys like Renda to play spoiler in the early rounds. I remember only a couple weeks ago someone was arguing that Brooks would have no chance to get a top-five seed.

Rhoads got a terrific chance to get a first-round win.

I don't necessarily think Cox is that much worse of a match-up for Nathan. He was right there with Cox in the National Duals finals, and Cox needed a late takedown to seal the win. Both guys are tough match-ups for Nathan, just because they're both outstanding wrestlers, but on any given day, he has what it takes to knock either one off. Just has to trust his offense and let it fly.

The difference between 184 and 197 is huge.

197, there is a top two and then the next three... And then the rest.

184, there is Dean, then there are about 16 who are at the next level. Some unseeded AA's and last year's runner-up is the 10 seed.

But an seed is way worse than any benefit Brooks got as the two seed.

Reactions: IndyNit93
The difference between 184 and 197 is huge.

197, there is a top two and then the next three... And then the rest.

184, there is Dean, then there are about 16 who are at the next level. Some unseeded AA's and last year's runner-up is the 10 seed.

But an seed is way worse than any benefit Brooks got as the two seed.[/QUOTE]

Huh? What was that sentence supposed to say before autocorrect got involved?

Not sure I understand that one at all...
Well, I do. Having split their two matches leading up to the NCAA's, here are the FLO ranked wrestlers they've beaten:

Burak 22-2: #7 Studebaker (2x), #15 Boykin (2x).
Pfarr 35-3: #5 Hartmann, #6 Haught, #7 Studebaker, #8 Huntley (2x), #11 Rotert (2x tech, maj), #15 Boykin, #19 Nye

One can't spend an entire year talking about how important "body of work" is when defending your rankings, but then suddenly dismiss it because of an overtime loss in conference.

Well, I do. Having split their two matches leading up to the NCAA's, here are the FLO ranked wrestlers they've beaten:

Burak 22-2: #7 Studebaker (2x), #15 Boykin (2x).
Pfarr 35-3: #5 Hartmann, #6 Haught, #7 Studebaker, #8 Huntley (2x), #11 Rotert (2x tech, maj), #15 Boykin, #19 Nye

One can't spend an entire year talking about how important "body of work" is when defending your rankings, but then suddenly dismiss it because of an overtime loss in conference.
Yeah, except the "loss" Burak had to Pharr in the dual should be ruled out, if you really want to be objective. I have a hard time rooting against Big Pharr after listening to the post match interview. He and Burak are about as even as two guys can be
When all is said and done, I'd be willing to bet one of them never makes the semis.

Here are the seeding criteria:

Head-to-Head 25% ................this is a wash with split matches
Quality Wins 20%...................Pfarr wins in a landslide
Coaches Rank 15%...............Pfarr 3, Burak 4. But note this is before the conferences
Conf Placement 10%.............Burak 2nd, Pfarr 3rd
Results vs common 10%......this is a wash
Win %..................10%............this is a wash Pfarr .921% and Burak .916
RPI.......................10%............Pfarr 6th, Burak 9th

Here are the seeding criteria:

Head-to-Head 25% ................this is a wash with split matches
Quality Wins 20%...................Pfarr wins in a landslide
Coaches Rank 15%...............Pfarr 3, Burak 4. But note this is before the conferences
Conf Placement 10%.............Burak 2nd, Pfarr 3rd
Results vs common 10%......this is a wash
Win %..................10%............this is a wash Pfarr .921% and Burak .916
RPI.......................10%............Pfarr 6th, Burak 9th
So what you are saying is the head official in the dual screwed Burak out of a 3 seed? That's what I thought.

Hey folks, if you want to be the best, you have to wrestle the best. All roads lead through either Morgan Mac or Cox, and neither of those guys are easy to take down. Burak needs to get his scoring attitude going and just go for it.
Overall, I'd say the Hawks got better seeds than in some years. They will have to beat those seeds, however, to be in contention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT