ADVERTISEMENT

How voting a President/Vice President in actually works...

Aegon_Targaryen

HR All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2014
The people of the United States elect a president every four years, but not directly. Here's how it works.

1. In November of a presidential election year, each state holds an election for president in which all eligible citizens may vote. Citizens vote for a "ticket" of candidates that includes a candidate for president and a candidate for vice president.
  2. The outcome of the vote in each state determines a slate of electors who then, in turn, make the actual choice of president and vice president. Each state has as many electors as it has senators and members of the House of Representatives, for a total of 538. (The District of Columbia gets three electors even though it has no representation in Congress.)
  3. In December, the electors meet in their respective state capitols to cast their ballots for president and vice president. States may or may not require their electors to vote with the popular majority, and they may or may not give all of their electors to the winner of the statewide popular vote. (See "A Work in Progress," below.)
  4. These ballots are opened, counted, and certified by a joint session of Congress in January.
  5. If no candidate wins a majority of the electoral votes or if the top two candidates are tied, the House of Representatives selects a president from among the five candidates with the most votes. Each state's delegation has a single vote. The Senate selects a vice president by the same process. (This hasn't happened since 1876, but it almost happened in 2000.)
What does this mean in practice? It means, as everyone learned or was reminded in 2000, that the candidate who receives the most votes nationwide does not necessarily become president. There is no national election for president, only separate state elections. For a candidate to become president, he or she must win enough state elections to garner a majority of electoral votes. presidential campaigns, therefore, focus on winning states, not on winning a national majority.

The people of the United States elect a president every four years, but not directly. Here's how it works.

1. In November of a presidential election year, each state holds an election for president in which all eligible citizens may vote. Citizens vote for a "ticket" of candidates that includes a candidate for president and a candidate for vice president.
  2. The outcome of the vote in each state determines a slate of electors who then, in turn, make the actual choice of president and vice president. Each state has as many electors as it has senators and members of the House of Representatives, for a total of 538. (The District of Columbia gets three electors even though it has no representation in Congress.)
  3. In December, the electors meet in their respective state capitols to cast their ballots for president and vice president. States may or may not require their electors to vote with the popular majority, and they may or may not give all of their electors to the winner of the statewide popular vote. (See "A Work in Progress," below.)
  4. These ballots are opened, counted, and certified by a joint session of Congress in January.
  5. If no candidate wins a majority of the electoral votes or if the top two candidates are tied, the House of Representatives selects a president from among the five candidates with the most votes. Each state's delegation has a single vote. The Senate selects a vice president by the same process. (This hasn't happened since 1876, but it almost happened in 2000.)
What does this mean in practice? It means, as everyone learned or was reminded in 2000, that the candidate who receives the most votes nationwide does not necessarily become president. There is no national election for president, only separate state elections. For a candidate to become president, he or she must win enough state elections to garner a majority of electoral votes. presidential campaigns, therefore, focus on winning states, not on winning a national majority.
Uh.....yeah? And the point of this review of fifth grade civics is..........?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Ah, so you are defining "participated in an election cycle" differently than the rest of us.

Feel free to discipline him, Lone Clone (not that you need my permission, but you could probably use more fun in your life).
Ah, so you are defining "participated in an election cycle" differently than the rest of us.

Feel free to discipline him, Lone Clone (not that you need my permission, but you could probably use more fun in your life).
I don't think asking somebody to define his terms is disciplining him, but your mileage may vary.

Incidentally, did you ever answer my question about whey you're using Charlie Manson's photo? If you did, I missed it.

I don't think asking somebody to define his terms is disciplining him, but your mileage may vary.

Incidentally, did you ever answer my question about whey you're using Charlie Manson's photo? If you did, I missed it.
Yes, I've answered that and similar questions several times, but I forget which threads. That's an actual picture of me, from a camping trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains a few decades ago.

Lone Clone doesn't know shit. If he did he would get where I'm going with this. But he's a Con so he went towards guys like Bush, Romney, etc.
What i'm referring to is the BS that goes on behind the scenes, and how in the end your vote doesn't mean f'n thing.

Yes, I've answered that and similar questions several times, but I forget which threads. That's an actual picture of me, from a camping trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains a few decades ago.
Kind of a hippy then. You look tougher than your actions lead me to believe. You seem to think that people should just go with the flow as disrupting the already disrupted flow is good enough.

When the world goes apocalyptic I can't see you surviving it for very long.

Reactions: Chuck C
Lone Clone doesn't know shit. If he did he would get where I'm going with this. But he's a Con so he went towards guys like Bush, Romney, etc.
What i'm referring to is the BS that goes on behind the scenes, and how in the end your vote doesn't mean f'n thing.

checks op's name......

I want to fix that. I want you to tell me shit. I asked you to tell me shit. Or I asked somebody to tell me shit. It looks like some names are getting jacked around here or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT