ADVERTISEMENT

How would you setup the SCOTUS?

BABiscuit

HR Legend
Jul 4, 2001
This process is f'd up and needs to be redone. How would you fix it?

Lifetime appointments got to go. Makes it way too political. I saw this on Twitter but really like it. 9 justices with staggered 18 year terms. Each president would get to pick two justices each 4 year term. Senate must approve, but time limits imposed on approval process.

If a justice can't serve full 18 years, the Senate leader of the party that originally nominated the justice gets to select the person to complete the term.

I guess there would still be the risk that an opposition party in Senate could block all picks, so maybe a clause that allows the president to appoint any judge that has received prior senate confirmation if their first two picks are voted down.

How would you build it if we were starting over?

Reactions: JohnBasedow
I like that idea with the staggered terms. Lifetime appointments are not a good thing. Politicians have realized that nominating younger, less experienced justices is the way to go and this needs to be curtailed because experience needs to be valued in these roles. That being said I don’t expect it ever to change unfortunately.

I am not opposed to lifetime appointments, the issue is the founders were living in an era when 50 was considered a long life. Expand the number of members, and make it more like an appellate court.

Electoral College and now SCOTUS. What’s next for the hysterical Left? A new branch of government they get to pick when they don‘t own the White House? Additional senate seats for democrats when they dont control it? Good lord you couldn’t ask for better entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: UKGrad93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT