ADVERTISEMENT

HROT help me pick out new wines

unIowa

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
So had a big remodel that we just finished up of our main level and the wife thought a wine fridge was a must so now I have one (will fit 18 bottles comfortably and I believe can go up to 24) so now I have to fill this thing up so I can keep Mrs unIowa loose and liquored up.

Besides the obvious, Boones Farm and something from a box, what should we fill this bad boy up with. I'm a fan of Cabernet but really have not been a fan of whites. Any other reds that I have to try or whites that I should try...not a poor but I probably ain't dropping over $50 for a bottle (not that we need to go that high) so let me know what you got HROT.

I've been told I can't turn the temp down and fill it up w beer so that isn't an option. :(

maddogwine.jpg

If you're a red wine fan you don't need a wine fridge.

Depending on what kind of red wine you're planning to drink and (more importantly) WHEN you plan to finally open it, you most certainly do need a wine fridge. But most people, particularly those with capacity for 24 bottles max, are probably not storing it for long.

To the OP, I'd recommend having a couple bottles of some various big Napa cabs. You can look for deals at HyVee and try to pick off stuff that would normally sell for $65-75 at price points of $55-65 if you're patient. I'm thinking of bottles like a Silver Oak, Duckhorn, Caymus types. Then I'd recommend having some really good pinot noir bottles, some of which you'd drink whenever and maybe a couple that you can store for a few years.

Reactions: volknut
If you're a red wine fan you don't need a wine fridge.

Depending on what kind of red wine you're planning to drink and (more importantly) WHEN you plan to finally open it, you most certainly do need a wine fridge. But most people, particularly those with capacity for 24 bottles max, are probably not storing it for long.

To the OP, I'd recommend having a couple bottles of some various big Napa cabs. You can look for deals at HyVee and try to pick off stuff that would normally sell for $65-75 at price points of $55-65 if you're patient. I'm thinking of bottles like a Silver Oak, Duckhorn, Caymus types. Then I'd

recommend having some really good pinot noir bottles, some of which you'd drink whenever and maybe a couple that you can store for a few years.

The other day we had what I thought was a nice Malbec and while the wife didn't really care for it I like the hint of spice at the finish. It tasted as if it would go well w fancy taco or even woodfired pizza night.

Thanks for the info.

I think is called Bogle? Supposed to be very good for a good price. Not sure if it's red tho. My wine snob friend always drink it. I stick to whiskey

Use Vivino.

Keep in mind that ratings are generally per varietal. So Sauvignon Blancs, Rieslings, and Malbecs will have higher ratings at lower price points, but they might not be comparable to a similarly ranked Cab.

Use Vivino.

Keep in mind that ratings are generally per varietal. So Sauvignon Blancs, Rieslings, and Malbecs will have higher ratings at lower price points, but they might not be comparable to a similarly ranked Cab.

Do you buy through the app or Vivino retailers? They are always advertising/emailing offers out.

Do you buy through the app or Vivino retailers? They are always advertising/emailing offers out.

Through retailers. Mostly through Costco and Binny's. I only use the app for its ratings, though I know they do lists and finding services.

I think is called Bogle? Supposed to be very good for a good price. Not sure if it's red tho. My wine snob friend always drink it. I stick to whiskey
We drink this all the time. Their best are whites, but they are also only like $9 at Costco which is mainly why we drink them.

OVZ is a zin, and the best $10 bottle of wine I have had in years. Earthquake zin is better but sells for about $25. The Prisoner is a Great wine but sells for about $40. If you like reds, you will love these!

Reactions: unIowa
So had a big remodel that we just finished up of our main level and the wife thought a wine fridge was a must so now I have one (will fit 18 bottles comfortably and I believe can go up to 24) so now I have to fill this thing up so I can keep Mrs unIowa loose and liquored up.

Besides the obvious, Boones Farm and something from a box, what should we fill this bad boy up with. I'm a fan of Cabernet but really have not been a fan of whites. Any other reds that I have to try or whites that I should try...not a poor but I probably ain't dropping over $50 for a bottle (not that we need to go that high) so let me know what you got HROT.

I've been told I can't turn the temp down and fill it up w beer so that isn't an option. :(

Is it a two zone fridge? I'm guessing not if it's just 18/24 bottles.

Assuming it's not you have two choices. One, set it down low and keep a bunch of white wine bottles in there for immediate consumption whenever you wish. Two, primarily use it for red wines. Maybe keep six Pinot Noirs or others that don't requiring aging, and lay down some cabbies and Bordeaux bottles that will benefit from a few years. Use some online sites to choose some that fit your budget; they will also tell you how long you should keep each bottle down before they reach their peak. You can often get a $20/25 bottle of wine that will be worth twice that in 3 or 4 years.

To the OP, I'd recommend having a couple bottles of some various big Napa cabs. You can look for deals at HyVee and try to pick off stuff that would normally sell for $65-75 at price points of $55-65 if you're patient. I'm thinking of bottles like a Silver Oak, Duckhorn, Caymus types. Then I'd recommend having some really good pinot noir bottles, some of which you'd drink whenever and maybe a couple that you can store for a few years.
Duckhorn is one of the few Merlots I can actually drink. Cigarzin is probably my favorite Zin and is sold at the Hy-Vee wine over by City High.

Is it a two zone fridge? I'm guessing not if it's just 18/24 bottles.

Assuming it's not you have two choices. One, set it down low and keep a bunch of white wine bottles in there for immediate consumption whenever you wish. Two, primarily use it for red wines. Maybe keep six Pinot Noirs or others that don't requiring aging, and lay down some cabbies and Bordeaux bottles that will benefit from a few years. Use some online sites to choose some that fit your budget; they will also tell you how long you should keep each bottle down before they reach their peak. You can often get a $20/25 bottle of wine that will be worth twice that in 3 or 4 years.

We looked at two zone but quite frankly the reviews really scared us off as no one seems to have pulled two zones off well, at least from what we read. We never have too many whites so I am not concerned with that much, thanks for the other advice it is much appreciated.

Duckhorn is one of the few Merlots I can actually drink. Cigarzin is probably my favorite Zin and is sold at the Hy-Vee wine over by City High.

I don't traffic much in merlot, but one that I currently have several bottles of is Emmolo. Got six of them for a steal of a price about a year ago and I find it to be a very drinkable wine.

Reactions: volknut
This is the best $10 bottle of wine I've ever had:
img_7052.jpg

So help me God, if you all go buy this stuff up and I can't find it I'm going to regret ever getting on HROT.

Also, once Trader Joe's opens up, go stock up on some Two Buck Chuck ($2.99 Charles Shaw wine). It's pretty damn good stuff for the price.

You should also download the Vivino app for your phone. You can stand in the wine aisle and snap a picture of the bottle, and it comes back with a 1-5 star rating, reviews, and average price.

Smith and Hook is a really good valued cab right now. You should be able to get it for under $20. Bogle's Pinot Noir, Dave Matthews Dreaming Tree Cab and Michael David's Petit Petit are some other solid ones for the price. I won't buy a bottle over $20 typically. Not a poor. Just easy to please. Can't help you with any whites. Red only for this guy.

Smith and Hook is a really good valued cab right now. You should be able to get it for under $20. Bogle's Pinot Noir, Dave Matthews Dreaming Tree Cab and Michael David's Petit Petit are some other solid ones for the price. I won't buy a bottle over $20 typically. Not a poor. Just easy to please. Can't help you with any whites. Red only for this guy.

I agree with the $20-25 thing. There's usually very little difference between a $20 bottle and a $50 bottle. But when you get into the expensive stuff, $75 and above, some of those will blow you away.

I agree with the $20-25 thing. There's usually very little difference between a $20 bottle and a $50 bottle. But when you get into the expensive stuff, $75 and above, some of those will blow you away.
Yeah, I had some really good ones out in Napa. I just try to forget how good they were. The best advice I could give you on buying those is the same advice I got from a friend once about coke. Don't try it, you'll like it too much.

Reactions: unIowa and IACub
La Crema Chardonnay is a good one for under $20. Never had a complaint.

I don't traffic much in merlot, but one that I currently have several bottles of is Emmolo. Got six of them for a steal of a price about a year ago and I find it to be a very drinkable wine.

If you're a fan of Wagner family wines, you might be able to find a Caymus cab around your $50 mark.
Rombauer is a good Chardonnay if you lean towards the buttery ones and should be findable around $30. They make a decent zin as well, but my favorite is Saldo.

I'm a big fan of the Coppola reds and I highly recommend googling Cameron Hughes, going to his site and trying some of his wines. You can get 100 dollar bottles of wine for 15. He buys the extra wine from some great vineyards, puts his label on it with a lot number and sells it for a fraction of what it costs. I buy this stuff pretty consistently.

I'm a big fan of the Coppola reds and I highly recommend googling Cameron Hughes, going to his site and trying some of his wines. You can get 100 dollar bottles of wine for 15. He buys the extra wine from some great vineyards, puts his label on it with a lot number and sells it for a fraction of what it costs. I buy this stuff pretty consistently.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Tom Paris

That seems like a good ancillary business to me. Guessing he makes it up with volume?

That seems like a good ancillary business to me. Guessing he makes it up with volume?

My guess is he buys in volume and gets a big discount for doing so. The fact that he private labels it keeps the value of the original sells branded wine up, win for the wine maker, this guy takes his cut as essentially a bulk buyer/marketer/labeler and customers get the benefit of a higher value wine at the lower cost.

This right here is what makes capitalism awesome.

My guess is he buys in volume and gets a big discount for doing so. The fact that he private labels it keeps the value of the original sells branded wine up, win for the wine maker, this guy takes his cut as essentially a bulk buyer/marketer/labeler and customers get the benefit of a higher value wine at the lower cost.

This right here is what makes capitalism awesome.
I think he also blends 2-3 together. It's good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT