ADVERTISEMENT

HS Wrestler Disqualified

After just now watching the video again, I am 100% convinced he was not flexing to his dad. They lied. It was to the opposition. DQ 100% justified.

Why are you so invested in this story? Most of what I've seen posted around the internet has been a pretty relaxed desire to see the kid get to wrestle. You seem intent on intensely defending the honor of the official as if he's a symbol for all officials. Why is this so important to you? Do you feel that any scrutiny of officials is disrespectful and dangerous for the sport? One of the most essential moments for improvement across all areas of life is the moment of critique. If we can't criticize officials, then how are we supposed to improve? The same idea extends coaches, politicians, religious leaders, etc...

There's a lot of talk in the media these days about how kids are soft and always wanting a "safe space." I work on a college campus. That narrative is complete bs. Kids these days are tougher than ever and facing a tough road post-graduation. The only time I ever see something that resembles a desire for a safe space is when older people whine about kids not respecting their authority or not agreeing with them.

Ref you don't know is infallible.
Your interpretation skills are mind-boggling. I haven't seen a single poster on here make that claim. You discredit yourself with a statement like that.
Judge you don't know is ignorant pinhead.
Got it.

He does not know a thing about wrestling and is intervening where he shouldn't. The door can now be open for EVERY call any ref makes anytime and in any sport. Is that really what you want courts to do?
You totally dismiss any dissent to your stance by flaunting your credentials in that field.
I know the rules and I know refs. Discussions about taunting have been discussed many, many times. That gives me a unique handle on what a ref would do.

Give the judge the same respect in his field (court room). To quote you the judge in the courtroom "...has absolute and final say. End of story."

His field is "law of the land" and not recreational sporting events.

And unless its you, not a single official will be "hanging up their whistle" because of this. It's actually comical to think this will be the result of the ruling.

We don't know the full ramifications yet. If ref authority is undermined, many will quit. We are already losing refs regularly. There is a massive shortage of refs nation-wide for various reasons. This will only add to the problem; but, will be hard to measure. Much loss is an accumulative effect. I am an insider and I am sharing with you what I know first hand. Interference by courts really sucks.
That door has already been opened in multiple sports. Courts overturned USAW and the sport survived.

Why are you so invested in this story? Most of what I've seen posted around the internet has been a pretty relaxed desire to see the kid get to wrestle. You seem intent on intensely defending the honor of the official as if he's a symbol for all officials. Why is this so important to you? Do you feel that any scrutiny of officials is disrespectful and dangerous for the sport? One of the most essential moments for improvement across all areas of life is the moment of critique. If we can't criticize officials, then how are we supposed to improve? The same idea extends coaches, politicians, religious leaders, etc...

There's a lot of talk in the media these days about how kids are soft and always wanting a "safe space." I work on a college campus. That narrative is complete bs. Kids these days are tougher than ever and facing a tough road post-graduation. The only time I ever see something that resembles a desire for a safe space is when older people whine about kids not respecting their authority or not agreeing with them.
Rule of law is paramount to the health of our sport. Most people are near sighted on this. The official can be criticized. The criticism is wrong. The means and path this criticism is taking is destructive. The state governing body is where the criticism should go where the state association polices its own.
Kids are soft today. Not all; but, as a whole. Very lazy and wimpy. Recently, I read that many mothers have stronger hand strength than their high school boys. I have given up on trying to find a high school kid to work for me. "It's too hard".

That door has already been opened in multiple sports. Courts overturned USAW and the sport survived.
So you are fine with individuals suing amateur sports because they don't like the call. Oh yes, this will only help.

Courts overturned USAW and the sport survived

On the decline. Yes, survived; but, not thrived.

Our justice system doesn't have enough to do anyway. Trying rape, battery, murder, theft, drug lords, and the such don't occupy enough of the judge's time anyway. Whether of not Suzy was safe at home plate or not is much more worthy.

I rest my case.

Rule of law is paramount to the health of our sport. Most people are near sighted on this. The official can be criticized. The criticism is wrong. The means and path this criticism is taking is destructive. The state governing body is where the criticism should go where the state association polices its own.
Kids are soft today. Not all; but, as a whole. Very lazy and wimpy. Recently, I read that many mothers have stronger hand strength than their high school boys. I have given up on trying to find a high school kid to work for me. "It's too hard".

Two questions: Did you read that on facebook and are you 80 years old? Because that's what it sounds like lol.

I'm sure the wrestler would have loved to go to the state governing body (and I'm pretty sure he tried), but the state did not allow appeals. That is probably why the judge granted the injunction. If there was an appeal system, I can almost guarantee the judge would not have intervened. It sounds like he was disgusted by that lack of accountability/transparency (talk about a safe space am I right?). You are greatly overestimating the "destruction" of this process. Judges are not going to start overturning controversial takedown calls. He stepped in because there was not a process to appeal a penalty that did not have to do with the actual wrestling. The state could have easily avoided this by having a transparent appeal process.

And no, kids these days are not wimps. You've just bought in to the age old tradition of generational warfare. Your grandparents thought your generation was a bunch of wimps too. It's all bs, and nothing more than older generations trying to cope with the fact that their kids and grandkids are different than them. I'm sure the millennials will think the subsequent generations are wimps too. There's no substance there.

So you are fine with individuals suing amateur sports because they don't like the call. Oh yes, this will only help.

Our justice system doesn't have enough to do anyway. Trying rape, battery, murder, theft, drug lords, and the such don't occupy enough of the judge's time anyway. Whether of not Suzy was safe at home plate or not is much more worthy.

I rest my case.
texas twister has cracked the case of why wrestling has declined!!! It's because the courts put Randy Lewis on the Olympic team in 1984! Once people saw how courts could get involved, they said: "Hmmm. Maybe I'll try basketball instead."

I know I'm not who you quoted, but while I do think the consequences are too harsh and he should've been allowed to wrestle, I think he deserved both penalties and don't feel bad for him if his possible titles get stripped for several reasons:

1. Questioning a call that was utterly meaningless in the first place. Whether it was wrong or not, why does he even care at that point? He also demonstrated that he doesn't even know the rule in question. He's quoted as saying "To have an escape, you have to be totally separated from your opponent." While it's debatable if it happened in this case, an escape for "loss of control" is absolutely a thing. I don't expect all wrestlers to know every line of the rule book - but then don't pretend that you do.

2. Repeating something that he had already been penalized for once before and cost his team greatly. I think some on the WI forum even suggested that the backlash from that could have been part of the reason he transferred in the first place (not saying that that would be justified if true, but moreso reinforcing the fact that one would think he wouldn't want to have that happen to him again).

3. Not confirmed but likely being a liar. I don't believe he was looking at his dad, and allegedly the opponent did confirm that he used profanity (which he of course denies).

4. Basically showing no remorse for any of his actions and instead placing all of the blame on the ref.

js, when I was a kid, I worked my butt off and have done so all my life. I have been hiring high school kids for decades now, often a wrestler I coached so that I knew I was getting a worker. A good worker is so hard to come by now that I gave up looking. The only hard workers left to do the job kids use to do are illegals. Kids today just don't even care to have a job. Living with mom is fine for a long time.

https://theinspiredtreehouse.com/st...days-kids-arent-as-strong-as-they-used-to-be/

Refs are being trashed by you and you know nothing about what you are talking about. Almost all refs are good people who care passionately about their sport. How about you change your tone and appreciate them and understand all the abuse they go through - mostly without justification. The sport would not exist without them.
tenor.gif

I rest my case.
I am perfectly fine with that option being available as it has always been and will be. For various reasons that option has been and will be used sparingly. And to put a smile on your face just about all of the time courts will continue to side with the governing body's original rule.

Troll on.

I know I'm not who you quoted, but while I do think the consequences are too harsh and he should've been allowed to wrestle, I think he deserved both penalties and don't feel bad for him if his possible titles get stripped for several reasons:

1. Questioning a call that was utterly meaningless in the first place. Whether it was wrong or not, why does he even care at that point? He also demonstrated that he doesn't even know the rule in question. He's quoted as saying "To have an escape, you have to be totally separated from your opponent." While it's debatable if it happened in this case, an escape for "loss of control" is absolutely a thing. I don't expect all wrestlers to know every line of the rule book - but then don't pretend that you do.

2. Repeating something that he had already been penalized for once before and cost his team greatly. I think some on the WI forum even suggested that the backlash from that could have been part of the reason he transferred in the first place (not saying that that would be justified if true, but moreso reinforcing the fact that one would think he wouldn't want to have that happen to him again).

3. Not confirmed but likely being a liar. I don't believe he was looking at his dad, and allegedly the opponent did confirm that he used profanity (which he of course denies).

4. Basically showing no remorse for any of his actions and instead placing all of the blame on the ref.

All of that is reasonable. I honestly have more issue with the overall penalty of not getting to wrestle the next competition and that's where I think most of the critique should be aimed. I think he deserved the first one. The second is iffy and if it hadn't been preceded by one 15 seconds earlier I probably wouldn't be that upset. It was just overkill at that point. Your stance towards the issue is considerably less defensive than texas twister's. You don't seem to try to be making this controversy into a wider attack on the authority of officials.

I am perfectly fine with that option being available as it has always been and will be. For various reasons that option has been and will be used sparingly. And to put a smile on your face just about all of the time courts will continue to side with the governing body's original rule.

Troll on.

Woah woah woah. You can't point out that the courts side with the governing body''s 99% of the time. That's useless context for determining whether or not this will lead to the collapse of the sport.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
"Continue bashing referees." I believe we are criticizing the judgment of this referee, singular. Stop trying to make this into something bigger than it is. A criticism of one referee is not an attack on the entire occupation.
Apparently you cannot count. There were 3 there involved. Many posters have bashed the referees as a unit and not the one only. Stay current.

And no, kids these days are not wimps. You've just bought in to the age old tradition of generational warfare. Your grandparents thought your generation was a bunch of wimps too. It's all bs, and nothing more than older generations trying to cope with the fact that their kids and grandkids are different than them. I'm sure the millennials will think the subsequent generations are wimps too. There's no substance there.

Nearly 3/4 of young people age 17-24 are not eligible to join the military (even if they wanted to)...mostly for health reasons. This has been trending upward for years starting with Millennials and are now into Gen Z.

Anecdotally speaking, I have worked around young people out of high school for years. We had to have training sessions on how to motivate Millennials because they can be difficult to train. From my own experience, there seems to be a lack of self-awareness and street smarts...for lack of a better term. It's unfair to the ones who do get it, or at least are open to hard work and self-improvement. That said, along with Gen X, they fought the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. But many volunteers for infantry and other combat type units are usually very motivated to be there.

Now Boomers could try to say that Gen X were wimps but how the hell would they know? They did their thing while they were raising us, we did ours ;)

giphy.gif

Count me as one who believes each previous generation has generally been tougher than the ones that followed.

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
QUOTATION: The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Continue bashing referees. I know it is therapeutic for you.

This thread is a hoot. I'm really hoping this is an elaborate troll job otherwise I feel sorry for anyone unlucky enough to have to deal with you either on the mat or elsewhere. Sitting a kid out of his state meet is waaaay too big of decision to be made so rashly, mat side by anyone. Good on the courts for stepping in so the matter can be more closely evaluted.

Wrong. This is something we have gone over in our chapter training meetings. I can tell you straight up and first hand as an official that 99% of the officials would ding him if they felt that he was actually taunting the opposing team or fans.
Wrong!!!!!

LOL at the judge:

“It looks like he’s looking at his dad to me” ... he must have superpowers because the video doesn’t show the stands. However the kid’s mother admitted that the father was the one that the ref in the chair was scolding and the flex certainly didn’t look to be aimed in that direction.

He later says “I didn’t hear any profanity.” Again he must have superpowers because you can’t hear anything that was said between the official and the wrestler at the end of the video.

I assume there will be a jury involved when this case is actually heard. As of now the judge is just doing the same exact thing the ref did in the first place by deciding something on his own.

As far as your 99% comment, there is at least 1 other ref that we know of that made literally the same exact call against the same kid. So I’d bet a large some of money your 99% figure is way off.
How do you know what video the judge watched and listened to? Oh thats right you and Texas Twister are much smarter than everyone else on here I forgot!

Last edited:
How do you know what video the judge watched and listened to? Oh thats right you and Texas Twister are much smarter than everyone else on here I forgot!

I don't know for sure, but I do know the mother was the one releasing the previous videos. If there was a different angle available that actually helped prove their point, I'm pretty confident it would be posted online.

Nearly 3/4 of young people age 17-24 are not eligible to join the military (even if they wanted to)...mostly for health reasons. This has been trending upward for years starting with Millennials and are now into Gen Z.

Anecdotally speaking, I have worked around young people out of high school for years. We had to have training sessions on how to motivate Millennials because they can be difficult to train. From my own experience, there seems to be a lack of self-awareness and street smarts...for lack of a better term. It's unfair to the ones who do get it, or at least are open to hard work and self-improvement. That said, along with Gen X, they fought the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. But many volunteers for infantry and other combat type units are usually very motivated to be there.

Now Boomers could try to say that Gen X were wimps but how the hell would they know? They did their thing while they were raising us, we did ours ;)

giphy.gif
If you want to point to increases in obesity and other health related trends, I agree, but that's not on the kids. Who do you think taught them those habits and gave them the food? The quality of food has also considerably decreased. Good whole foods are way more expensive than junk and take more time and effort to prepare. As working and middle class wages stagnate, causing many parents to have to take more than one job, more and more people will keep choosing the junk for the low cost and convenience. The best predictor of obesity and other chronic illnesses is a person's socio-economic status. I see this first hand in the town I live in. It's a university town. There's a 1-2 mile bubble around the university where the students, professors, and university professional staff live that is solidly middle class. The farther you move from the university, the lower class you get and you can see this in the health of the people. Very high rates of obesity. I think it's really a shame that we live in such a rich country with such crazy stratification of quality of life.

My larger point is that every generation has always considered the younger generations to be weak and entitled. Were the boomers really tougher than the millennials? Probably not in my opinion. The millennials are making their way in an increasingly tough world, and in the process are challenging the system they inherited. Every generation does this and it always irritates their elders.

Reactions: WDuck5217
giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]

Awesome movie with good lines and a great point----- I now think much better of you ;)

You are intelligent enough to understand that the kid didn't get dinged for questioning a ref, right - I mean, I am having doubts about you? If a kid asks in a respectful way, no ref would ding him. That is not why he got dinged. He gave a smart ass response. There is not a single varsity ref in the country that would not have dinged him. Some of you must be either incredibly immoral or ignorant if that is what you are thinking.
Now you speak for every varsity ref in the country. Oh I know. Not a single one of the many thousands could possibly be biased in a match. SMH. YOU MUST BE KIDDING

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT