ADVERTISEMENT

HS Wrestler Disqualified

That isn't how it is being judged. It is claimed "to be biased". I have also claimed "it may be taunting if directed at the opposition/fan base". Nuts on here claim otherwise (no, I am not calling you one of them)

Well, sometimes on the Internet we express a degree of certainty beyond what the evidence warrants.
:)

Well, sometimes on the Internet we express a degree of certainty beyond what the evidence warrants.
:)

Are you certain about that?

images

The ref probably knew the kid because he taught at the kid’s old school. Both moved on but nobody cannot say there could not be bias in that situation, pos or neg.

Just to be clear, the claim is that he previously taught at the opponent’s school, not flex kid’s school. Seems like a stretch to me. Most refs have no interest in who actually wins. And again, if there was bias involved, I’m sure it would’ve been evident before the match was literally over.

Reactions: IAChief32
think there was an nba ref who might have had a little bias,but he was probably the only one.:)

Just to be clear, the claim is that he previously taught at the opponent’s school, not flex kid’s school. Seems like a stretch to me. Most refs have no interest in who actually wins. And again, if there was bias involved, I’m sure it would’ve been evident before the match was literally over.

Gotcha...thanks for the correction. Ref knows the kid who got beat...also knows the coaches. He just left there in 2017, There is skin in the game there for a claim of bias whether some want to acknowledge it or not.

Reactions: el dub

Just go be clear, the kid in question apparently attended the opponents school last year.

Gotcha...thanks for the correction. Ref knows the kid who got beat...also knows the coaches. He just left there in 2017, There is skin in the game there for a claim of bias whether some want to acknowledge it or not.

He was a teacher, it’s not like he was the wrestling coach. Is your proposal that refs shouldn’t be allowed to officiate matches between kids if they know who they are? Good luck with that.

He was a teacher, it’s not like he was the wrestling coach. Is your proposal that refs shouldn’t be allowed to officiate matches between kids if they know who they are? Good luck with that.

Streeeetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttch alert.

There is absolutely zero evidence that the official was biased. The only real evidence that I can clearly see from the video is that Halter claimed he did the muscle flex to his dad. His dad is at 5:30 o'clock in the video, front roll, green shirt. The muscle flex was aimed at 4:00 o'clock - clearly. Big, obvious lie. Look at the video again doubters and be honest in your judgment.

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
Can't help it. The waiting an entire week for the Hawks to wrestle again will drive anyone insane.

FWIW, I've always respected your contributions. IMO, this thread just got a little out of control, though, as no one would give an inch on their perspectives.

I was seeing IronBird's avatar next to a thread going over 5 pages and, without reading the title, kept thinking there was a Teasdale update. ;)

Respect is earned.

Bosses/superiors/adults/etc. aren't always right and aren't above reproach.

Kids need to learn to stick up for themselves, question authority and speak out when they see things that aren't right.

The kid could be a punk. His parents might be enablers. The refs actions can and still should be questioned in this situation, IMHO
Agree to an extent they kids nowadays also need to be taught respect.

New InterMat article on current status and controversy of the situation.
Great article. From it:
One possible product of situations like this: According to a letter issued by the WIAA on Jan. 10 (nearly a month before this incident), parents who engage in "verbally criticizing game officials or coaches … (are) the primary reason Wisconsin has an alarming shortage of high school officials."

The letter went on to state that 80 percent of officials quit after two years, much shorter than what had been the norm.

I saw a ton of flexing this past weekend at the Iowa State tournament and didn't see anyone penalized. Also, saw the class 3A 126 State Champ throw his headgear after winning with no penalty. Not sure why refs weren't enforcing the rules.

Reactions: Herky the Uruk-hai
I saw a ton of flexing this past weekend at the Iowa State tournament and didn't see anyone penalized. Also, saw the class 3A 126 State Champ throw his headgear after winning with no penalty. Not sure why refs weren't enforcing the rules.

Context is important. Some of you need to seriously lighten up.

Flexing is cool as long as it is not done to taunt. I did not see the telecast. Is there a link for replay? I would enjoy that.

By watching will you be able to tell if it’s a taunt?
I stated clearly that I wasn't there to tell if it was a taunt or not. I also stated that Halter lied about doing the flex to his dad. We can see where his dad is in the video and he was not flexing to his dad. The ref was there and made the call. I will not criticize the ref unless I know full well that it was not a taunt. I cannot determine that and I know that almost all refs want to be fair and honest.

It seems to me that states need to makes special rules for how to handle suspension-worthy infractions that occur in the last event leading into the postseason tourneys. In general, a rule that suspends a wrestler for the next dual or in-season tourney is not a rule that should be applied identically to the state championships or its qualifying tourney. In the two examples (WI, NY) discussed thus far, there is no distinction being made between a "regular" event and the ultimate event that kids have been killing themselves for all season long (or even all career long). In both cases, while the punishment is the same (suspension for next event), the consequences are vastly different (missed dual vs. missed championships).

Let's take the emphasis off officials having to be extra cautious with judgment calls with badly-behaved wrestlers and modify the rules slightly to have consequences that are more reasonable.

For example, if a wrestler with a flagrant or two unsportsmanlike conduct calls normally must miss the next competition date (typically a dual), then just have the wrestler forfeit his next scheduled match if the infraction occurs in the last event leading into postseason tourneys. That allows him (in most cases, I assume) to still work for a spot at states. If it happens at a qualifying tourney, he has blown his shot to be state champ, but still has a chance to finish his year/career on the podium.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but anything is better than this stuff ending up going to court.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
It seems to me that states need to makes special rules for how to handle suspension-worthy infractions that occur in the last event leading into the postseason tourneys. In general, a rule that suspends a wrestler for the next dual or in-season tourney is not a rule that should be applied identically to the state championships or its qualifying tourney. In the two examples (WI, NY) discussed thus far, there is no distinction being made between a "regular" event and the ultimate event that kids have been killing themselves for all season long (or even all career long). In both cases, while the punishment is the same (suspension for next event), the consequences are vastly different (missed dual vs. missed championships).

Let's take the emphasis off officials having to be extra cautious with judgment calls with badly-behaved wrestlers and modify the rules slightly to have consequences that are more reasonable.

For example, if a wrestler with a flagrant or two unsportsmanlike conduct calls normally must miss the next competition date (typically a dual), then just have the wrestler forfeit his next scheduled match if the infraction occurs in the last event leading into postseason tourneys. That allows him (in most cases, I assume) to still work for a spot at states. If it happens at a qualifying tourney, he has blown his shot to be state champ, but still has a chance to finish his year/career on the podium.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but anything is better than this stuff ending up going to court.

This is probably fair, actually in the N.Y. case it looks like this happened in some sort of duals event so the kid did technically did sit out of 2 other duals after this infraction (according to LI forum - http://liwa.websitetoolbox.com/post/fmc-and-court-ruling-10038028 ). Maybe it should just be reworded to “the next team or individual match” or something.

But even in the WI case, is their first qualifying tournament (I think they called it Sectionals) double elimination? If not, then he’d still be out of luck.

This is probably fair, actually in the N.Y. case it looks like this happened in some sort of duals event so the kid did technically did sit out of 2 other duals after this infraction (according to LI forum - http://liwa.websitetoolbox.com/post/fmc-and-court-ruling-10038028 ). Maybe it should just be reworded to “the next team or individual match” or something.

But even in the WI case, is their first qualifying tournament (I think they called it Sectionals) double elimination? If not, then he’d still be out of luck.

Yep -- and my "most cases, I assume" sidenote, indeed, had double- vs. single-elimination circumstances in mind. I assume most are double . . . but if single, yes, that presents an additional obstacle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT