ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical DJ carton scenario

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
Assuming he would want to come on Scholly would Fran pull scholly from Pat and Connor.

That would solve scholly issue for all to come back.

Here you go:

That is no longer the case. A B1G / P5 player is guaranteed a scholarship for all 4 years (provided no academic, ethical, moral, team major violations, etc. malfeasance) if offered & accepts a scholarship upon his first year of college eligibility. That scenario pertains to Patrick but not Connor.

The only question pertaining to Patrick that I've seen raised is - can he voluntarily rescind his 4 year guarantee and stay with the team?

I can see where that would not be allowed as a lot of games could be played with that "loop hole" but haven't seen definitively answered via the internet searches I've conducted anyway.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

As I allude to in the response that was quoted above, I don’t know for sure if a player can opt out of his guaranteed scholarship but tend to think they can based on a few subsequent replies such as unoHawk’s above.

I do think it’s a moot point as I don’t see Carton coming to Iowa anyway.

If he wants to come, he has to pay his own way and redshirt for a year, That's the only way it would work out. That's how Uthoff had to come to Iowa although then the BIG had a transfer rule. This time there are no scholarships available.

Why? With or without they have all the benefits outside of Tuition and room and board. Fran can easily cover the cost, while being NCAA compliant. Win.

Because they're scholarship players and deserve it. Doesn't matter who their parents are or how rich they are.

I've been reading a lot of opinions on this subject but haven'd seen much on the following question/issue - What was the relationship like between the Iowa coaches and DJC? If we weren't even in his top 3 the first time around, was this an issue? BTW, not saying there was a rift between them, just looking for informed answers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT