ADVERTISEMENT

I am becoming an e-bike evangelist ---- and this article articulates why very well

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

My E-Bike Changed My Life​

One could change yours, too.​

BY DAN KOIS
JUNE 18, 2023

The other night, I was making dinner when I realized that we were completely out of ginger. Our grocery store is pretty close by, but it’s too far to walk and still get a meal on the table in time. You can drive it, but at dinnertime the parking lot is an absolute zoo. Forget circling to find a space—sometimes it’s so tough to turn left into the parking lot that you end up idling in the middle of the street forever. And did I remember to fill the car up with gas? What a hassle!

However, I wasn’t annoyed, because I had no intention of driving to the store. Instead I clicked on a helmet, hopped on my e-bike, and set out. I cruised past cars stopped in traffic. I sailed up a long hill. I zipped right up to the doors of the Harris Teeter and locked my bike to the rack, next to two other e-bikes. Yes, I still had to wait at a register, but once I was out, I rode home in no time flat. The trip was probably 15 minutes instead of a 10-minute drive, which, yes, means it took 50 percent more time. But it was about 700 percent more pleasant!

The other night, I was making dinner when I realized that we were completely out of ginger. Our grocery store is pretty close by, but it’s too far to walk and still get a meal on the table in time. You can drive it, but at dinnertime the parking lot is an absolute zoo. Forget circling to find a space—sometimes it’s so tough to turn left into the parking lot that you end up idling in the middle of the street forever. And did I remember to fill the car up with gas? What a hassle!

However, I wasn’t annoyed, because I had no intention of driving to the store. Instead I clicked on a helmet, hopped on my e-bike, and set out. I cruised past cars stopped in traffic. I sailed up a long hill. I zipped right up to the doors of the Harris Teeter and locked my bike to the rack, next to two other e-bikes. Yes, I still had to wait at a register, but once I was out, I rode home in no time flat. The trip was probably 15 minutes instead of a 10-minute drive, which, yes, means it took 50 percent more time. But it was about 700 percent more pleasant!

ADVERTISEMENT

Since I bought this fairly inexpensive transportation device in 2021, I’ve ridden hundreds upon hundreds of miles, each of them replacing a mile I would once have driven in a car. I’ve taken uncountable trips to the grocery store, and scores of rides to the office or the Metro or to meet friends for a night out. Freed from traffic and parking worries, faced with a ride in the fresh air rather than yet another trip in a car, I go out more. My suburb has come to feel like a place newly worth exploring.

My e-bike has changed my life. I’m happier, healthier, and more active. My relationship to my community has been completely transformed. I guess I’ve become an e-bike guy. You can, too.

E-bikes have gotten enough media coverage in recent years that you might assume they’ve attained mass-cultural ubiquity, but it’s not really true. When I start going on tiresomely at parties and cookouts about my e-bike, a lot of people ask: What’s an e-bike again?

An e-bike is a general term encompassing any number of motor-assisted bicycles, from janky near-mopeds with jury-rigged batteries that would curl a fire inspector’s hair to luxe, $5,000-plus beauties made by the big names in cycling. Even Porsche makes one! But they pretty much all operate on the same basic principle: You pedal, as on a regular bike, and the motor gives you a little boost. That boost can vary; my e-bike tops out at 18 miles per hour, while you’ve likely seen some riders zooming around at speeds well higher than that, often not even touching their pedals. In 2021, more Americans bought e-bikes than electric cars, according to one study; the 880,000 e-bikes sold that year nearly doubled the sales of the year before.

I’ve never exactly been a consistent cyclist. I enjoy riding, and at times have made it part of my life. But I’m the kind of person who trained for, and wheezed his way through, a cycling tour of Provence with his dad, but who almost never rode to work. I spent three months in the Netherlands, where abandoning cars felt incredibly liberating; when I returned to the U.S., I struggled to ride consistently. Unlike pancake-flat Delft, the Washington suburb where I live is a crenelated topo of rolling hills, such that if I rode anywhere I was sentencing myself to multiple back-breaking climbs just to get home. As I got older and less in shape, those climbs became more and more daunting. The idea of doing them while hauling groceries, or anything heavier than a backpack? Oof.

In early 2021, though, I was ready for a change. I was sick of driving everywhere—sick of turning on the car to go a mile to the grocery store, sick of driving myself to tennis matches and soccer games. Our office was open, but I hated taking the freeway into the city. I felt compelled by arguments like my colleague Henry Grabar’s, that the point was to think of e-bikes not as more expensive bikes, but as cheap replacements for cars. I ordered a cruiser from one of the many direct-to-consumer companies whose ads’ algorithms were getting better and better at inserting into my social media feeds. And I gave it a try.

The first thing to say about riding an e-bike is that it really does feel like magic. You pedal the same way you’ve been pedaling bikes since you were a kid, but the bike just sails forward, as if a giant hand is pushing you from behind. You’re not going alarmingly fast—my bike has variable speed settings, so you can really cruise at whatever speed you want—but you are going faster than you’d expect, given the modest effort you’re putting into pedaling.

So on my first ride I was already enjoying the process. And then I reached the Edison hill.

The first thing to say about riding an e-bike is that it really does feel like magic.
Just about a block from my house, the road bends sharply upward toward Edison Street. It’s not a long incline, but it’s made more perilous by the fact that for this section, the street narrows and the bike lanes disappear. If you’re heading north or east from my house, there’s basically no other bikeable route, so this hill had become my nemesis: I dreaded laboring up to Edison Street. By the time I got to the top I’d be sweating and swearing and casting nervous glances over my shoulder at the impatient drivers riding my ass.

But this time I turned my e-bike to its highest setting and—there’s no better way to put it—simply rode up the hill. I wasn’t flying or anything, but I was able to maintain my speed through the ascent, and minimize my time on this perilous stretch of road. It was not harder work than riding on level ground. It felt the same.

This was how I discovered that for a rider like me—older, a little out of shape, not interested in showing up at work drenched in sweat—the real power of an e-bike is the way it changes your mental map of your community. Yes, the assist I get from the motor minimizes distances, so that a destination 5 miles away no longer feels annoyingly far. But my e-bike also flattens the map. Where once my calculation about whether to ride someplace had to take into account whether the steep hills between me and, say, downtown D.C. would make the ride a torturous ordeal, now those hills disappear. They are simply not part of my calculations. Does it seem like there are some bike lanes between here and there? OK, I’m in.

Once I realized this, I made a vow: If I’ve got an errand that’s within 5 miles of my house, I’m gonna ride there. For the most part, I’ve fulfilled that pledge. I don’t ride in the snow, though I’ve made plenty of trips in drizzle, in blazing heat, and in freezing cold. (I bought insulated pants!) I can’t haul too much on the bike, though I’ve managed to figure out how to carry such suburban-dad loads as five extra-large pizzas, three bags of mulch, a full propane tank, or eight cases of Spindrift. I can’t drive my teenagers to their various obligations on my bike—though I bought a second e-bike, and they often grumpily ride that to work and to friends’ houses.

And I find that I am simply more likely to leave the house, for any reason, than I used to be. Yeah, I’ll get that ginger, back in a jif. It’s a nice day out? I’ll just ride over to the beer garden and work there. Friends are playing basketball in a neighborhood with no parking? Great news, I’m on my way. I even took a semester-long teaching gig in the city that would have been a nightmare, traffic-wise—but it was a fun ride across the river, so sign me up! The result: a far more active lifestyle. I’m not pretending that these rides on a motor-assisted bicycle count as aerobic exercise, but they’re definitely better than sitting on my ass, staring at my phone.

The big green-and-black e-bike I purchased was not from one of the fanciest brands, but from Rad, a direct-to-consumer company that’s known for its affordability. While its batteries are not customized in the manner that’s caused well-publicized fires in cheaper brands, the company does use cheaper parts all over the bike as a way of keeping costs down. My experience has not been flawless. The bike’s so insanely heavy, like 65 pounds, that it’s tough to get it to the shop whenever I have a flat or some other problem. My bike shop hates Rad, because, overwhelmed by customers, the company can take weeks to respond to requests. (Recently I only got my hands on some much-needed parts by tweeting at them.) The battery stopped working entirely, leading to a long, frustrating process to get it replaced. The cheap disc brakes struggle with the heavy bike and wear down with astonishing speed—I’ve learned how to tighten them myself when they get soft, but I’ve also had them completely replaced several times. Most frighteningly, the front wheel popped off entirely during a hard braking event shortly after I purchased the bike. (I’m pretty sure that was because the authorized assembly contractor didn’t know what he was doing.) For all these reasons, I wouldn’t recommend a Rad bike to you, necessarily.

Yet even after all this hassle, I still love my bike, and I’d do it all again. The ways the bike’s made my life better far exceed the annoyances it’s caused. Eventually this bike will die, and maybe I’ll invest in something nicer, easier to get fixed—maybe even some $5,000 riding machine. But honestly: I spent about $1,500 on this semi-crappy e-bike, and I’ve already gotten more than two years of transportation and joy out of it—and that’s not to mention the money I’ve saved on gas and parking. Plus I get to be holier-than-thou to almost everyone I know! Seems worth it to me.

Recently, after a Sunday morning soccer game at a field about 2 miles from my house, I threw my bag into the crate on the back of my e-bike. It was a beautiful morning, still a little crisp, but I was sweating like crazy from an hour and a half of chasing the guys who intercepted all my passes, so I didn’t mind riding home through some cool air. I turned on the bike and pedaled along the soccer field to the nearby bike trail and turned toward home.

Riding in the other direction was a guy on a racing bike, decked out in Lycra, reflective jersey, biking gloves—the whole shebang. As he approached, he eyed me sitting up straight on my e-bike, sweaty T-shirt, orange milk crate strapped to the rack. As he passed by on a curve, I heard him mutter, the way you do when you’re disgusted, half to yourself, half to the object of your disgust: “Get a real bike.”

It took a moment for the words to sink in. What did he say about me?! I got it together to yell at his receding, well-sculpted back, “You sound like a dick!” As I rode home, stewing, I thought of plenty of other things I wished I’d said: “Get a real SHIRT!” “Your calves are overmuscular!”

NEW YORK (AP) — A fire at a New York City e-bike shop quickly spread to upper-floor apartments and killed four people early Tuesday in the latest deadly blaze linked to exploding lithium ion batteries.

The fire, reported shortly after midnight, happened at a shop that was cited last summer for safety violations related to the storage and charging of batteries, officials said. Investigators determined that it was an accident caused by a lithium ion battery, which can overheat while being charged and explode in an intensely hot flare of flame, fire officials said.

A pile of burned bikes, scooters and other debris lay on the sidewalk outside the shop, HQ E-Bike Repair, which was on the ground floor of a six-story building in Manhattan’s Chinatown neighborhood.

So far this year, there have been more than 100 fires and 13 deaths linked to battery explosions in the city, said Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh.

NEW YORK (AP) — A fire at a New York City e-bike shop quickly spread to upper-floor apartments and killed four people early Tuesday in the latest deadly blaze linked to exploding lithium ion batteries.

The fire, reported shortly after midnight, happened at a shop that was cited last summer for safety violations related to the storage and charging of batteries, officials said. Investigators determined that it was an accident caused by a lithium ion battery, which can overheat while being charged and explode in an intensely hot flare of flame, fire officials said.

A pile of burned bikes, scooters and other debris lay on the sidewalk outside the shop, HQ E-Bike Repair, which was on the ground floor of a six-story building in Manhattan’s Chinatown neighborhood.

So far this year, there have been more than 100 fires and 13 deaths linked to battery explosions in the city, said Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh.

Yeah those cheap battery ones are a menace. Gotta stay away from them.

As a “real” cyclist - I poo-pooed the e-bike revolution. Looking at it now though, I realize that people are on bikes that never would have been and that’s a good thing because it makes more people realize what it’s like to ride. That’s a good thing but I worry about the tipping point. E-bikes are slowly turning into electric motorcycles that fatties now take advantage of to go places where cars can’t and formerly were reserved for the self propelled. That should never have been the point, but as humans love the path of least resistance this is where we’re headed.

I also understand I’m probably a purist.

I see the merit for sure in urban settings. See a lot of people driving those really fast, way faster than they could pedal that to me that makes me wonder about their biking skills. I also worry a bit about idiots driving cars. They are everywhere and 90 percent of them are looking at phone. Seems like they could increase your risk of major injury and death a bit in certain areas. Would only want to use in not too crazy of traffic.

As a “real” cyclist - I poo-pooed the e-bike revolution. Looking at it now though, I realize that people are on bikes that never would have been and that’s a good thing because it makes more people realize what it’s like to ride. That’s a good thing but I worry about the tipping point. E-bikes are slowly turning into electric motorcycles that fatties now take advantage of to go places where cars can’t and formerly were reserved for the self propelled. That should never have been the point, but as humans love the path of least resistance this is where we’re headed.

Kind of agree. I NEVER don’t pedal - feels like totally cheating whereas using a little boost feels like a helping hand.

That said, still far better for the environment and our built infrastructure than automobiles and trucks.

Kind of agree. I NEVER don’t pedal - feels like totally cheating whereas using a little boost feels like a helping hand.

That said, still far better for the environment and our built infrastructure than automobiles and trucks.

I don’t disagree at all. Ride it and ride it hard. No matter what it is. (Sorry OPs mom)

Me three years ago would have been “phhhhuck that!!!” I also flew early over to Slovenia to watch a bike race. I’m nuts. I’ve changed my tune. Bikes for all!!

Last edited:
Was in the Wayzata, Minnesota area Friday and rented bikes as we took the car and have no receiver for the rack. Almost thought about the E bikes but 100 vs 40 sealed the deal. Rode the Dakota trail to St. Boniface and back to Gear West. Stopped at Back Channel Brewing on the way back. Cool brewery accessible by land or lake...
Back+Channel+Website+Photos+%288+of+11%29.jpg

a99ee0f4aebb49f64276529a8d3331cbce37ef12_36.jpg

Was in the Wayzata, Minnesota area Friday and rented bikes as we took the car and have no receiver for the rack. Almost thought about the E bikes but 100 vs 40 sealed the deal. Rode the Dakota trail to St. Boniface and back to Gear West. Stopped at Back Channel Brewing on the way back. Cool brewery accessible by land or lake...
Back+Channel+Website+Photos+%288+of+11%29.jpg

a99ee0f4aebb49f64276529a8d3331cbce37ef12_36.jpg

Noice!

“Oh, hey, chad. How you doing today.”

“Oh ****ing great, Stacey I just EBIKED like a man to work.”

“So you have a motorcycle”

“no, Stacey you stupid bitch and I an E-BIKE ITS MOAE MANLY AND I PRETEND TO EXCERCISE!!!”

Probably because 5 million people don't want to live in high rise cubicles that run rampant with crime, drugs and every other misery brought by overcrowding. Plus when it's -25 only @Hawki97 has what it take to endure the elements...
Lol look at you, James, jumping to a poorly-considered, rush-to-idiocy take. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

*** sigh ****

Sorry about that take, washed up walk on. Lots of cities in China where 10 million walk and bike to work. I suggest you give it your best shot. Hell you could play center there on a company basketball team...maybe.
Doubling down, I see.

@jamesvanderwulf you’re so fücking stupid. Just so god damned stupid. But with nice aplomb, I’ll give you that.

When you’re able to set your pride aside, maybe ask me what the fùck I’m talking about. Because I’m not taking about what your dumbass thinks I’m talking about, dumbass.

I saw a guy on a real fancy looking e-bike going what had to be close to 30mph on a sidewalk, no helmet. Dude is just begging for something bad to happen.

Reactions: torbee

With the rise of ebikes, I've seen a significant rise in cities putting money into bike trails. Formerly abandoned and cracked paths are now being revamped, repaved, and drastically improved. Are ebikes annoying as they whizz by while you're struggling to get up a hill? Yes, but thanks to them, you can be annoyed on a nice safe path rather than risk death on the street.

Now do gasoline or diesel fires.
Maybe the stoppage of the 95 in Philly…

Reactions: torbee and VodkaSam
Y’all just need to grow up and get a motorcycle like an adult
I was into motorcycles earlier in my life, but have always been into cycling. Have over 2,300 miles YTD between my road bike, gravel bike and Peloton. Motorcycling just started to seem dangerous to me (because of other motorists, not the motorcyclist) years ago and I gave it up.

Also, I don’t see many overweight cyclists. But motorcyclists, wow. And without wearing a helmet, good chance either a traumatic brain injury or diabetes is going get you sooner than later.

Reactions: billanole
I was into motorcycles earlier in my life, but have always been into cycling. Have over 2,300 miles YTD between my road bike, gravel bike and Peloton. Motorcycling just started to seem dangerous to me (because of other motorists, not the motorcyclist) years ago and I gave it up.

Also, I don’t see many overweight cyclists. But motorcyclists, wow. And without wearing a helmet, good chance either a traumatic brain injury or diabetes is going get you sooner than later.

That’s what makes it rad.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Cold day in hell when I care what your take on anything is. People who use Fvck every other word always exude high IQ...
Except you do care what my take is. You responded directly to it, albeit with all kinds of stupid-ass presumptions, based suspiciously on a pretty bigoted prejudice, I might argue.

But, truly, thanks for confirming that pride’s got the better of you.

It is that month, I suppose.

• Haha
I live in Berkeley and most people commute using e-bikes. I purchased an Aventon e-bike a couple of months ago and I can get to any place I need way faster than driving using the trail and bike lanes around here. It’s amazing.
I am jelly. Many of our roads in the area are narrow, curvy, and hilly without bike lanes. Riding is a fairly dangerous proposition, even tho the outdoor sports overall is a very popular rec field here.
Slowly but surely we gain a few more miles of bike friendly roads…

Reactions: HawkNester
Reactions: billanole

Shit I have 570 and thought I was doing good.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Hate to break it to you, but that is the science:

You don’t fuvkin’ say! Well the god damned construction site must be where all the smartest father fuvken baby raping Mensa mother ****ing shit bags hang. I kinda suspected I was surrounded by god damn geniuses…

Now do gasoline or diesel fires.
Maybe the stoppage of the 95 in Philly…
It’s a god damned thread about ****ing E bikes, Dick face. I just saw it on the god damned NBC Nightly ****ing News, with ****ing Kate Snow substituting for ****ing Lester god damn ****ing Holt. There’s already a god damn thread on the ****ing bridge here somewhere shit bag…

The wife and I LOVE our e-bikes. Got them 2 years ago and ride them ALL THE TIME. Was not into riding before because my knees were a little messed up. Now, me knees are stronger and I only use the assist when going up steep inclines. Just Awesome!!!

Would like to own one. Or at least demo one.

I am a regular road biker. Running more lately but still bike weekly. Gotta say, I do love biking by the e-bike folks while under my own power though while they have the motor assist. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT