ADVERTISEMENT

I am becoming an e-bike evangelist ---- and this article articulates why very well

Would like to own one. Or at least demo one.

I am a regular road biker. Running more lately but still bike weekly. Gotta say, I do love biking by the e-bike folks while under my own power though while they have the motor assist. ;)

The way many e-bikes are geared / throttled is actually often quite frustrating because you are kind of stuck in that 15-17mph zone. You may get me on the uphill, but I’ll get you going down and on the straightaways e-bikers!

Reactions: Gus is dead
Probably because 5 million people don't want to live in high rise cubicles that run rampant with crime, drugs and every other misery brought by overcrowding. Plus when it's -25 only @Hawki97 has what it take to endure the elements...
Well no one advocating for walkable, smart growth development is asking for “high rise cubicles.”

I do a fair amount of research on this topic for my job. Here are some pics of what is being talked about:

walkable-city.jpg

httpswww.c-ville.comcharlottesville-named-walkable-city-1.jpg

philadelphia-nthp.jpg

This may look like a dystopian urban hell hole to you, but I think most reasonable people would be ok with it.

It’s a god damned thread about ****ing E bikes, Dick face. I just saw it on the god damned NBC Nightly ****ing News, with ****ing Kate Snow substituting for ****ing Lester god damn ****ing Holt. There’s already a god damn thread on the ****ing bridge here somewhere shit bag…
Ya don’t fu$$#gin say!

Reactions: Rudedolph
Well no one advocating for walkable, smart growth development is asking for “high rise cubicles.”

I do a fair amount of research on this topic for my job. Here are some pics of what is being talked about:

walkable-city.jpg

httpswww.c-ville.comcharlottesville-named-walkable-city-1.jpg

philadelphia-nthp.jpg

This may look like a dystopian urban hell hole to you, but I think most reasonable people would be ok with it.
Dude thinks I’m talking about big metro areas… because it’s just gotta be some either/or. Metro or urban. Metro or suburban. Gotta be, because I’m a “leftist” and so I simply gotta be agin’ thuh rurals and thur ‘Murrica.

As a “real” cyclist - I poo-pooed the e-bike revolution. Looking at it now though, I realize that people are on bikes that never would have been and that’s a good thing because it makes more people realize what it’s like to ride. That’s a good thing but I worry about the tipping point. E-bikes are slowly turning into electric motorcycles that fatties now take advantage of to go places where cars can’t and formerly were reserved for the self propelled. That should never have been the point, but as humans love the path of least resistance this is where we’re headed.

I also understand I’m probably a purist.
Exactly, when are they just electric Vespas?

I am going to get a new bike next year. I put it off for a long time. Cant decide if I want a road bike or a new hybrid. I am so used to wide handle bars that the drop ones feel off and too close in for me

I am going to get a new bike next year. I put it off for a long time. Cant decide if I want a road bike or a new hybrid. I am so used to wide handle bars that the drop ones feel off and too close in for me
Be like me and ride a sweet fixie. I couldn't find the pic of mine from some ancient thread, but this is similar. Mine is gunmetal grey.

maxresdefault.jpg

You, too, could be douchey AF.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Be like me and ride a sweet fixie. I couldn't find the pic of mine from some ancient thread, but this is similar. Mine is gunmetal grey.

maxresdefault.jpg

Are all tires tubeless now?

I still ride an old Cannondale Hybrid. Its closing in on 30 years old. Its from the days Cannondale's were made hand made in the USA. Some of the shifters just dont work well anymore. I will make it though this year though.

I cant believe the bikes I see out on the trails. People put some serious money in bikes.

I still ride an old Cannondale Hybrid. Its closing in on 30 years old. Its from the days Cannondale's were made hand made in the USA. Some of the shifters just dont work well anymore. I will make it though this year though.

I cant believe the bikes I see out on the trails. People put some serious money in bikes.
My tires are tubed. I may switch someday, but I've yet to have reason to do so.

My concern about E-bikes is that the speeds will improve and the standards for bike trails will have to be laid out. In my mind no one needs to go above 25 mph. That is plenty fast on a bike.
Also, arguably one should be a fairly skilled bicyclist before safely jumping on an e-bike. That's just my opinion, maybe.

Most of the tubeless tires I’ve seen are on mountain bike tires.

giphy.gif

I ride 4-5K a year though so I don’t feel that bad about it. The no pics wife on the other hand…

I see people passing me I know are not better bikers than me. Thats what spurs me to think about getting a new road bike.

Most of the tubeless tires I’ve seen are on mountain bike tires.

Tubeless on gravel is a must. I picked up a full on flat from a piece of sharp gravel ten miles from my house. I held my thumb over the hole for 3-4 minutes while it resealed, wrapped it in gorilla tape (always in my kit), and made it home without having to replace it with a tube or patch it. Every bike I own is tubeless - road, gravel, cyclocross, mountain, fat…I’ll never go back.

I see people passing me I know are not better bikers than me. Thats what spurs me to think about getting a new road bike.

I always look at it this way…my bike is for a workout. Not (always) to go fast. The older/shittier the bike, the better the workout. Who cares what others are doing? That’s why I roll often on my 1980’s Trek mountain bike.

Reactions: VodkaSam
The e-bike is awesome if you live in a city and I'd have one in a second if I still did. It's not worth it if you live in a smaller less congested area.

I always look at it this way…my bike is for a workout. Not (always) to go fast. The older/shittier the bike, the better the workout. Who cares what others are doing? That’s why I roll often on my 1980’s Trek mountain bike.

Because I am competitive. You are right though. I get an excellent workout on the hybrid.

E-bikes have two principal values:
1. Enabling and encouraging older/fatter people to continue to ride, including in places that might otherwise be too hilly for them.
2. "last mile" transportation solution in developed urban environments.

As to the first, I'd personally like to shoot every young bro I see riding them around town in skinny pants after a night out on the town.

As to the second, the downside risk is that their power/speed gives casual users too much confidence and leaves them in something of a gray zone in terms of where they should be ridden - they tend to be too slow for vehicular lanes, and too fast for paths (as in both cases it's speed differential relative to other traffic that is the real safety challenge).

maxresdefault.jpg

Fixie guys are crazy. My best buddy rides a fixie Marinoni, no matter the grade. Wants to try for the senior hour record some day.

The big green-and-black e-bike I purchased was not from one of the fanciest brands, but from Rad, a direct-to-consumer company that’s known for its affordability. While its batteries are not customized in the manner that’s caused well-publicized fires in cheaper brands, the company does use cheaper parts all over the bike as a way of keeping costs down. My experience has not been flawless. The bike’s so insanely heavy, like 65 pounds, that it’s tough to get it to the shop whenever I have a flat or some other problem. My bike shop hates Rad, because, overwhelmed by customers, the company can take weeks to respond to requests. (Recently I only got my hands on some much-needed parts by tweeting at them.) The battery stopped working entirely, leading to a long, frustrating process to get it replaced. The cheap disc brakes struggle with the heavy bike and wear down with astonishing speed—I’ve learned how to tighten them myself when they get soft, but I’ve also had them completely replaced several times. Most frighteningly, the front wheel popped off entirely during a hard braking event shortly after I purchased the bike. (I’m pretty sure that was because the authorized assembly contractor didn’t know what he was doing.) For all these reasons, I wouldn’t recommend a Rad bike to you, necessarily.

Yet even after all this hassle, I still love my bike, and I’d do it all again. The ways the bike’s made my life better far exceed the annoyances it’s caused. Eventually this bike will die, and maybe I’ll invest in something nicer, easier to get fixed—maybe even some $5,000 riding machine. But honestly: I spent about $1,500 on this semi-crappy e-bike, and I’ve already gotten more than two years of transportation and joy out of it—and that’s not to mention the money I’ve saved on gas and parking. Plus I get to be holier-than-thou to almost everyone I know! Seems worth it to me.

Recently, after a Sunday morning soccer game at a field about 2 miles from my house, I threw my bag into the crate on the back of my e-bike. It was a beautiful morning, still a little crisp, but I was sweating like crazy from an hour and a half of chasing the guys who intercepted all my passes, so I didn’t mind riding home through some cool air. I turned on the bike and pedaled along the soccer field to the nearby bike trail and turned toward home.

Riding in the other direction was a guy on a racing bike, decked out in Lycra, reflective jersey, biking gloves—the whole shebang. As he approached, he eyed me sitting up straight on my e-bike, sweaty T-shirt, orange milk crate strapped to the rack. As he passed by on a curve, I heard him mutter, the way you do when you’re disgusted, half to yourself, half to the object of your disgust: “Get a real bike.”

It took a moment for the words to sink in. What did he say about me?! I got it together to yell at his receding, well-sculpted back, “You sound like a dick!” As I rode home, stewing, I thought of plenty of other things I wished I’d said: “Get a real SHIRT!” “Your calves are overmuscular!”

Do you have a woven basket with plastic flowers on the front of your little bikey?

How about streamers hanging from the handle grips?

Do you wear a "Hello Kitty" helmet too?

I cruised past cars stopped in traffic.
Illegal or dangerous? Can't ride them on sidewalks in Atlanta. I'm not opposed to them, however. I actually live too close for them to work going to grocery store since it's right across the street. Would take longer to get the bike out, locked up etc than just running over.

Hate to break it to you, but that is the science:

"The former - verbal fluency - can be measured by asking volunteers to think of as many words beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet as they can in 1 minute.

People with greater language skills can generally think of more examples in the allotted time. Based on this approach, the researchers created the swearing fluency task. This task requires volunteers to list as many different swear words as they can think of in 1 minute.

By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task."

I'm not buying it. Knowing more swear words isn't the same as people who use swear words because they don't know "better" words with which to express themselves. Using "fvckin'" like a "one-size-fits-all" adverb multiple times per sentence in no way demonstrates increased intelligence.

And cursing because your hand is in cold water or because your plane is about to crash isn't remotely the same as the idiots who can't tell a story or relay a thought (often out loud, in public) without relying on cursing to elucidate their thoughts.

"The former - verbal fluency - can be measured by asking volunteers to think of as many words beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet as they can in 1 minute.

People with greater language skills can generally think of more examples in the allotted time. Based on this approach, the researchers created the swearing fluency task. This task requires volunteers to list as many different swear words as they can think of in 1 minute.

By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task."

I'm not buying it. Knowing more swear words isn't the same as people who use swear words because they don't know "better" words with which to express themselves. Using "fvckin'" like a "one-size-fits-all" adverb multiple times per sentence in no way demonstrates increased intelligence.

And cursing because your hand is in cold water or because your plane is about to crash isn't remotely the same as the idiots who can't tell a story or relay a thought (often out loud, in public) without relying on cursing to elucidate their thoughts.
Oh ƒuck off, Russ. I'll elucidate however the ƒúck I want.

Hate to break it to you, but that is the science:

marvel-is-it-though.gif

I think it takes more creativity, thus intelligence, to craft some good insults. "Fvck" is just lazy IMO.

Here are some of my favorite classic examples:

1. From My Fair Lady:

"I'll make a duchess of this draggle-tailed guttersnipe."
(there were constant insults throughout w/o foul language)

2. Big Jake (John Wayne):

"You're short on ears and long on mouth."

3. 9-to-5 (I had to look this one up to get it right):

"You're a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot. You're a foul heart - a wart on the nose of humanity and I'm going to blast it off."

4. One of my favorites from TV, Mal to Jayne (FireFly):

"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that."

Illegal or dangerous? Can't ride them on sidewalks in Atlanta. I'm not opposed to them, however. I actually live too close for them to work going to grocery store since it's right across the street. Would take longer to get the bike out, locked up etc than just running over.

Probably dedicated bike lane on the road. You can pass a ton of traffic that way. I moon every Frontier stuck in a line at the light on Mormon Trek now hoping it’s @jamesvanderwulf. I’m hoping he gets me a discount on the firebird. Easy to do because I’m the only bike out there.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: torbee and NoleATL
I've got a couple hundred rides and a few hundred miles on heavy public sharing E-bikes, I typically use them as a Uber/Lyft replacement as opposed to riding for pleasure. I can often get places faster than a car and save $10+ each time.

That's been enough to know that the E/assist is a cool technology and would be fun to have for personal use. I just haven't been able to justify a purchase at this point.

- Still pricey
- Heavy, I would have to carry up and down the stairs in my building
- Storage, already own two bikes that are stored in office
- Access to public e-bikes
- Live in a flat area
- Don't have an ideal use case: I work from home, and there's decent public transit, so a E-bike to commute several miles doesn't fit, I also wouldn't necessarily want to take it out where I'm locking it up in public for more than very shorty durations

If enough of those circumstances change, I'd get one. I imagine they will only become more technologically advanced (better pedal assist integration and lighter) and cheaper in the coming years.

I've got a couple hundred rides and a few hundred miles on heavy public sharing E-bikes, I typically use them as a Uber/Lyft replacement as opposed to riding for pleasure. I can often get places faster than a car and save $10+ each time.

That's been enough to know that the E/assist is a cool technology and would be fun to have for personal use. I just haven't been able to justify a purchase at this point.

- Still pricey
- Live in a flat area
- Don't have an ideal use case: I work from home, and there's decent public transit, so a E-bike to commute several miles doesn't fit, I also wouldn't necessarily want to take it out where I'm locking it up in public for more than very shorty durations

If enough of those circumstances change, I'd get one. I imagine they will only become more technologically advanced (better pedal assist integration and lighter) and cheaper in the coming years.
Yeah, it’s not for everyone.

I work 7 miles from home and have a great
Little charging station set up in my garage.

- Still pricey
- Live in a flat area

Hopefully they still come with a cute basket and a hello kitty helmet and streamers and shit.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
If you guys would get jobs like real men. You wouldn’t have to ride your little e-bikes like a bunch of wimps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT