ADVERTISEMENT

I figured we need another CC thread - Myth or reality: Will Caitlin Clark take a pay cut going to the WNBA?

I do not see this level of interest continuing after college. I could be wrong but I haven't missed but a couple womens games since gustafsons senior year.
I don't think I will seek out a WNBA game after the initial newness wears off.
After reading the article, it would seem that for her not to take a pay cut, Caitlin would have to bring the eyeballs to the WNBA herself. And, I suppose different from the concept of a pay cut would be the opportunity cost of leaving. That is, maybe she makes $1M in the WNBA next season and made $1M this past season at Iowa, but if she stayed at Iowa maybe she could have made $2M the next season. Either way, I think she is making the right choice from a competition perspective, assuming she is okay financially.

Last edited:
After reading the article, it would seem that for her not to take a pay cut, Caitlin would have to bring the eyeballs to the WNBA herself. And, I suppose different from the concept of a pay cut would be the opportunity cost of leaving. That is, maybe she makes $1M in the WNBA next and made $1M this past season at Iowa, but if she stayed at Iowa maybe she could have made $2M the next season. Either way, I think she is making the right choice from a competition perspective, assuming she is okay financially.
I'm not making a comment on her choice. I would love her to stay but i'm guessing she's doing what she thinks is best and that's all you can hope for.
My comments are more a reflection of where I think womens basketball overall is at. I think popularity will be at its peak at this years NCAA womens tournament and decline next year.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Will she really have more publicity than this second? Will Nike pay her more next year with less eyes on her. I don't think so.
hopefully the endorsement’s she’s signed are multi-year contracts. I think she’ll have a couple of years yet where she’s still getting plenty of eyeballs. After that the shine probably wears off some. Guessing she is likely set financially and that didn’t really play into her decision at all to turn pro. Losing all her close teammates to graduation and seeking better competition would be my guess as the 2 driving factors for leaving

Reactions: kceasthawk
I'm not making a comment on her choice. I would love her to stay but i'm guessing she's doing what she thinks is best and that's all you can hope for.
My comments are more a reflection of where I think womens basketball overall is at. I think popularity will be at its peak at this years NCAA womens tournament and decline next year.
I completely agree. I love the Hawks but my interest will be way down once the Show is gone.

Look at the WNBA season schedule, it is not real favorable to the sport.
start in april
playoffs in september.

I do not see this level of interest continuing after college. I could be wrong but I haven't missed but a couple womens games since gustafsons senior year.
Yeah, unfortunately it just isn't available with ease and even if it were, outside of CC, I have no interest in watching the WNBA. Then again, I'm not a big professional sports guy in general. I watch Iowa WBB but that's the extent of my viewership which applies to pretty much all sports outside of professional soccer.

I hope she dominates and I think she will but I doubt I watch much, if any, of her playing beyond college. Still have never seen Keegan play beyond Iowa and probably never will as an example.

Last edited:
Who freaking cares?

why is it that the first thing anybody thinks about is money?
Who said it as first thing everyone, or I, think about? Why do you care about other people finding it interesting to discuss?

I think Caitlin's fame has reached a point in which in her stardom transcends her sport. When was the last time we had a college athlete, in any sport, who was as big a star as Caitlin is? So, while eyeballs certainly matter, they aren't the end-all, be-all of endorsements. In another thread, I cited Shaun White and Usain Bolt as examples of athletes who compete in rarely watched sports, but became superstars nonetheless. Their stardom transcended their sport. (If I remember correctly, White's net worth today is $67 million, while Bolt's is $90 million.) Caitlin has a chance to do something similar.

I will guarantee you that Caitlin and her agent have a plan to make her a very, very wealthy woman over the next decade. It's not like she is begging for endorsement deals.

• Love
Reactions: kceasthawk
my theory as a k-state fan and cc admirer, she declared early allowing her team to finalize her professional third-party agreements, like her shoe contract. there's no way she would leave beloved iowa for less money. that just doesn't make sense.

100% agree. I was a huge fan of Gustafson.....have since watched about 10 minutes of game time since she left Iowa. I wish CC luck but don't expect my viewership to change much after the initial excitement.

I think Caitlin's fame has reached a point in which in her stardom transcends her sport. When was the last time we had a college athlete, in any sport, who was as big a star as Caitlin is? So, while eyeballs certainly matter, they aren't the end-all, be-all of endorsements. In another thread, I cited Shaun White and Usain Bolt as examples of athletes who compete in rarely watched sports, but became superstars nonetheless. Their stardom transcended their sport. (If I remember correctly, White's net worth today is $67 million, while Bolt's is $90 million.) Caitlin has a chance to do something similar.

I will guarantee you that Caitlin and her agent have a plan to make her a very, very wealthy woman over the next decade. It's not like she is begging for endorsement deals.
Wow. Someone that gets it........

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I think most importantly:
Will there be a "How's Caitlin Doing?" ala "How's Keegan Doing?' thread for her pro career?

my theory as a k-state fan and cc admirer, she declared early allowing her team to finalize her professional third-party agreements, like her shoe contract. there's no way she would leave beloved iowa for less money. that just doesn't make sense.
She already has a shoe contract & many other endorsements. She has her eyes on WNBA (her dream) and Euro ball. Europe pays better than WNBA. Heck, she may start up a new league in Asia. She could be huuuuuge in China.

Donald Trump GIF by fularious

She already has a shoe contract & many other endorsements. She has her eyes on WNBA (her dream) and Euro ball. Europe pays better than WNBA. Heck, she may start up a new league in Asia. She could be huuuuuge in China.

Donald Trump GIF by fularious
First off, she has a deal with Nike. I don't know if I'd call that a "shoe contract, yet anyway? I do believe we'll see more with Nike now, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a CC3 shoe or clothing line. Frankly Nike would be idiots not to brand with her right now. As for Euro ball, I've never once heard Clark say she wanted to play in Europe. Not saying she won't, but thats only an assumption at this point. She may be the player with enough clout in the marketing world that she doesn't need to go that route.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT