ADVERTISEMENT

If SL gets his knees repaired now

I think the commonly stated recovery time is 6-9 months, so it's possible he'd be ready to go full speed by the start of 22

I'm not sure how he could get both done and the same time. In fact that seems very unlikely. Double the chance of complications and it would really really limit his rehab potential.

I think the commonly stated recovery time is 6-9 months, so it's possible he'd be ready to go full speed by the start of 22
Recovery time is less that 5% at 6 months meaning less than 5% Athletes pass their return to sport test at 6 months. 9 months is typical for passing return to sport. However maximal knee stability is usually achieved at 18-24 months. I know this because my nephew just went for his ACL repair return to sport testing at the U of I sports medicine complex and was told this by the same surgeon and team that works on the FB and wrestlers. At least what my brother told me. Also the same nephew had the typical wrestler graft from the quad tendon. Evidently the Quad tendon is gaining popularity...especially for wrestlers as it creates less patellar pain issues when kneeling.

Bot a doc nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night but it seems the recovery from 2 repairs would be much longer than the timeline for 1.

Spencer has some tough decisions in front of him.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Recovery time is less that 5% at 6 months meaning less than 5% Athletes pass their return to sport test at 6 months. 9 months is typical for passing return to sport. However maximal knee stability is usually achieved at 18-24 months. I know this because my nephew just went for his ACL repair return to sport testing at the U of I sports medicine complex and was told this by the same surgeon and team that works on the FB and wrestlers. At least what my brother told me. Also the same nephew had the typical wrestler graft from the quad tendon. Evidently the Quad tendon is gaining popularity...especially for wrestlers as it creates less patellar pain issues when kneeling.
Being an ACL surgery recipient in 2013 I understand the patella tendon argument. I used my patella tendon and it is still sensitive when kneeling. Having said that I agree with the 18-24 months. It takes time even for an amazing athlete like Spencer. I feel terrible for the guy.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
So no Olympic Trials? Is that what the Hawk faithful are hearing?
I have no clue. But I can't imagine wrestling in the Olympic trials with those types of injuries. I'm no ortho epert I was just relaying informaiion second hand from a family member regarding their personal experience with ACL. With that said...there are other parts of the knee that are at risk because of instability. PCL, MCL and meniscus are at risk with increased instability.

Reactions: MatBrat
What was somewhat odd was Spencer said at his interview or whatever you call it. "i'll see you all in a couple of weeks" when asked about the Olympic trails.

Honestly, I hope that this does not become the case! As great as he is, and I believe he is the best wrestler in the world. I do not believe even he can go through not only the level of wrestlers necessary, but also the grind?

Plus that gives him zero chance of having surgery to repair his knees. I honestly think the bigger picture needs to be looked at, at this point. That is to get him back to 100% or as close as possible. Even if that means taking some time off now and even next year!

My gut tells me the Warrior in him, may not allow this to happen? I hope the coaches, his teammates, family, make the absolute best decisions based on his health and longevity in the sport!

What was somewhat odd was Spencer said at his interview or whatever you call it. "i'll see you all in a couple of weeks" when asked about the Olympic trails.

Honestly, I hope that this does not become the case! As great as he is, and I believe he is the best wrestler in the world. I do not believe even he can go through not only the level of wrestlers necessary, but also the grind?

Plus that gives him zero chance of having surgery to repair his knees. I honestly think the bigger picture needs to be looked at, at this point. That is to get him back to 100% or as close as possible. Even if that means taking some time off now and even next year!

My gut tells me the Warrior in him, may not allow this to happen? I hope the coaches, his teammates, family, make the absolute best decisions based on his health and longevity in the sport!

Ditto

I wonder if we just saw the last of SL in the Iowa singlet. Either that or we don't see him at OTTs. I can't imagine him making the team, having to wait for the olympics, then doing another college season. All on zero ACLs.

Reactions: HemiHawk
I wonder if we just saw the last of SL in the Iowa singlet. Either that or we don't see him at OTTs. I can't imagine him making the team, having to wait for the olympics, then doing another college season. All on zero ACLs.
No way. He wants to be a 4 timer and he will at least give himself the opportunity. If he has to redshirt he has that option.

In their eyes, two weeks isn't going to make or break his recovery time. In all likely hood, he won't damage them further by competing, it'll just be incredibly painful to do so.

I truly believe he came out without any knee braces to see how he weathered the storm. They took the finals as a OTT trial run. I think he gives it a go and if he doesn't win it we'll see him have surgery. If he wins and makes the Olympics, I think he'll get surgery after that and sit out next year and use his redshirt or medical waiver.

There's very few circumstances where they'll repair both knees simultaneously, so I think we can safely assume that's not going to happen. So now, the bigger question is will he only get one done and try to go his senior season or hold off for a full healthy run. An even bigger issue moving forward is the second surgery on his right knee, what they call a "revision" is what truly worries me about his competitive future, but then again, it appears he's been battling it since 2019.

Herein lies an interesting hypothetical question for Hawk fans:

IF you had to choose (luckily its not that way. Again hypothetically here) would you rather see the Hawkeyes win another team title next year OR would you sacrifice back-to-backs to see Spencer Lee be a 4-timer?

IF you had to choose (luckily its not that way. Again hypothetically here) would you rather see the Hawkeyes win another team title next year OR would you sacrifice back-to-backs to see Spencer Lee be a 4-timer?
Exactly. The chances of him winning Olympic gold aren't very good with the injuries. But his chances of winning 4 titles is. In the past Iowa has made the decision the program is more important then the club. Most guys don't wrestle for teams while in college. Gilman did juniors once I think

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

4 timer, easy.

(But if Lee redshirts, I think Ayala -or whoever mans 125- can score enough points to do both)
Recovery time is less that 5% at 6 months meaning less than 5% Athletes pass their return to sport test at 6 months. 9 months is typical for passing return to sport.

I didn't promise or even mean to imply lee would be the 1-in-20 that is ready after 6 months, and I even said 'it's possible he'd be ready to go full speed by the start of 22' which would be 9 full months. That said, i think fewer than 5% of the population has won a national title on two torn ACLs, so doubt Spencer at your own peril ;)

Last edited:
Fascinating. The link below gives more details on it. The new procedure is vastly stronger because the quad tendon is more like the missing ACL in composition, and it causes less problems and structural weakness than patellar tendon grafts.

Quadriceps Tendon Graft for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: THE GRAFT OF THE FUTURE! - PubMed (nih.gov)

Rehab starts 3 days after surgery, and he'll be out of any brace in a couple months. 6 months he can be running on it. (my own experience). He doesn't have to do any wrestling until 2022 so that would be 9 months

Reactions: Gutt15
Rehab starts 3 days after surgery, and he'll be out of any brace in a couple months. 6 months he can be running on it. (my own experience). He doesn't have to do any wrestling until 2022 so that would be 9 months

Assuming they’re done the same day. Would they do that? I’d assume they’d make you space them out?

There is a common misconception that once someone has an injury like a torn ACL they can’t make it worse and it just becomes a pain issue. If he has significant instability, he can definitely do a lot more damage to the knee continuing to wrestle without ACLs. Since there is limited to no blood supply, articular cartilage can’t regrow or heal itself.

Surgery should be done asap. Long rehab while redshirting in 2022. What are the chances ADS could get down to 125 ?

I mean Lee IS damn near super human but he said himself he can barely wrestle, can't shoot or sprawl. Hard to see a way for him to compete with the best at the Senior level when you can't effectively shoot or sprawl. And I really don't like the thought of him wrestling another match in his current state. Huge target on his back (or knees) now. You know he wouldn't make any excuses but it would be awfully hard for the rest of us not to make excuses on his behalf if he lost. Time to take care of numero uno, Spencer, and get healthy for your 4th and for the future!

In their eyes, two weeks isn't going to make or break his recovery time. In all likely hood, he won't damage them further by competing, it'll just be incredibly painful to do so.
No ACL means less stability. Less stability most certainly places the meniscus at risk. It also place the PCL and MCL at risk. The knees can most certainly be damaged further and without an ACL those chances are dramatically increased.

This is simply not true. My nephew had his ACL fixed by the UI sport medicine guy that does the ACLs for the Wrestling team and the football team. He was sent home post op without a brace. He was doing passive range of motion the next day. he was running on it at 12 weeks and is now running int he 400 meter dash competitiively last week in track at 6.5 months. He has been leaping, hopping, box jumping on it since week 16 (4months)

This is simply not true. My nephew had his ACL fixed by the UI sport medicine guy that does the ACLs for the Wrestling team and the football team. He was sent home post op without a brace. He was doing passive range of motion the next day. he was running on it at 12 weeks and is now running int he 400 meter dash competitiively last week in track at 6.5 months. He has been leaping, hopping, box jumping on it since week 16 (4months)
I would imagine there is an age gap between your nephew and FFoH that would change this timeline quite a bit. There are plenty of factors that could influence the timeline. These aren't one size fits all surgeries.

You are definitely correct that he could injure his knees more by wrestling on them. The idea that you could be missing support structure to your knees without displacing that stress to surrounding structures is completely foolish.

And in freestyle no less where your opponent tries to grab your legs and intertwine them in order to create torque and roll you over.

Reactions: liex26
I predict he skips trials, gets the knees done over next month or so, and starts competing for the Hawks by mid-January.
Selfishly I kind of hope he does this. The odds of winning the Olympics on no ACLs just seem so low to me and I selfishly want to see him at 100% for next season so the Hawks can win back-to-back titles.

But given what I’ve heard from Spencer in every interview - including the press conference a few days ago after the tournament as well as all of his comments on why he kept competing in high school after he tore his ACL, etc. all tell me he is going to at least go down swinging and give it a go for the trials.

As he’s said before, it would always haunt him just not knowing if he could have won even on no ACLs. He’d rather lose than skip it and go the rest of his life wondering what would have happened.

Reactions: roeisele
Getting them fixed would be best. If they can only do one then do the fresh one since he has been wrestling on the other one for 2 years now.

Why does he even need to let it rehab? Hell it won the title with 2 torn ACLs. Think what he could do with 2 partially healed ones.
Could wear a brace or am I showing my stupidity? Maybe you shouldn't answer that.

• Haha
Reactions: Lsanders20
Can somebody refresh us on his injury timeline from high school until now? Hasn’t he torn one of his ACL twice now since high school? Or am I thinking a shoulder injury when he lost to Desanto?

I bet he gives it a go at the trials. If he wins that, goes for the olympic gold, then gets surgery afterwards, then redshirts next year. If he loses the trials, he’ll get surgery, then will wrestle next college season in the second half of the season.

So many different crazy scenarios. I certainly wouldn’t doubt the kid or his chances at success, whatever route he chooses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT