ADVERTISEMENT

If you were KF, how would you save BFs reputation now?

Jun 8, 2022
KFs job is safe (thanks buyout), he doesn’t care about his own reputation, and even BF may be safe knowing Barta has no balls or leverage. He probably even wants to keep the status quo on offense/personnel/system. But the one real motivator for KF could be saving his son’s reputation and credibility, which he has to understand is on life support (if not already dead).

So say you’re KF…what would you do to try to save your son’s future!? Both realistic and creative/fun answers welcome!

If I were Kf, I’d probably publicly take the blame for the QB choice, fire Barnett, give Brian back the OL and have Budymeyer take the QBs, insert Padilla or Labas, and hope the offense shows some life the last six games.

KFs job is safe (thanks buyout), he doesn’t care about his own reputation, and even BF may be safe knowing Barta has no balls or leverage. He probably even wants to keep the status quo on offense/personnel/system. But the one real motivator for KF could be saving his son’s reputation and credibility, which he has to understand is on life support (if not already dead).

So say you’re KF…what would you do to try to save your son’s future!? Both realistic and creative/fun answers welcome!

If I were Kf, I’d probably publicly take the blame for the QB choice, fire Barnett, give Brian back the OL and have Budymeyer take the QBs, insert Padilla or Labas, and hope the offense shows some life the last six games.
I don’t think this too far off except Budmyar has done nothing to show me he deserves a full time position. I think you could easily sell to the fan base that firing Barnett and essentially making him the scapegoat is acceptable. Demote Brian to the O line position where he had success and find a real OC and allow schematic changes.

This offense is at rock-bottom so going through the growing pains of a new scheme will still likely be growth over what we’ve seen the last two years. if they can find a level of success offensively the next 2 to 3 years he could look at becoming a position coach in the NFL at that point. Probably be far enough removed from the racial allegations that someone would be willing to take a chance on him.

I hope he’s pulling every string he has to get Brian back in the NFL. He’s not getting a head coaching job in college football unless it’s a FCS team or lower so the NFL is our best hope to rid ourselves of him. That racial lawsuit may well be a huge sticking point. If it ever gets settled, we could possibly fire him for cause ( as if running the worst offense in the country isn’t enough).

"Change" is not something Kirk does. He sees it as a sign of weakness.

If someone he respects does manage to get through to him (whoever that would be) he needs the shuffle the offense, but BFz back as a asst and install a competent OC...but who would want the job? Then at season end... BFz quietly goes back to an NFL asst coach job.

You pretty much answered your own question in one regard but if Brian is okay with moving to another school or the pros then Kirk could help by quietly contacting people that his son wants to coach elsewhere.

And the best elsewhere is as a head coach at a smaller school, lower level, maybe FCS if Brian wants to be a head coach.

Kirk left Iowa to be the head coach of Maine which is no barn burner of a job but it put him out there as ambitious, willing to put in the time as a head coach to develop his style, etc. It lead to the pros.

I and many others have said over the past few years that Brian might need to take this same path.

The bad thing is Brian takes a huge pay cut even as a head coach of a middling, average FCS team.

Kirk tries to find out some interviews he can get at the end of the season and see where it leads so Brian can show his style.

We have a winner!

You pretty much answered your own question in one regard but if Brian is okay with moving to another school or the pros then Kirk could help by quietly contacting people that his son wants to coach elsewhere.

And the best elsewhere is as a head coach at a smaller school, lower level, maybe FCS if Brian wants to be a head coach.

Kirk left Iowa to be the head coach of Maine which is no barn burner of a job but it put him out there as ambitious, willing to put in the time as a head coach to develop his style, etc. It lead to the pros.

I and many others have said over the past few years that Brian might need to take this same path.

The bad thing is Brian takes a huge pay cut even as a head coach of a middling, average FCS team.

Kirk tries to find out some interviews he can get at the end of the season and see where it leads so Brian can show his style.
People need to wake up. Brian isn’t going anywhere because he isn’t going to voluntarily take a massive pay cut. Kirk isn’t going to fire his son. Period. And dont tell me Brian works for Barta because that's nonsense. Iowa is the only option and making him the oline/assistant head coach with enough performance incentives to get him close to his current salary (Kirk can help with that by relinquishing a piece of his pie) is an exit ramp for everyone. Bring in an OC with a proven track record of building an offense and see what he can do. It's the only way out of this mess.

BF needs to fake an injury and be carted off the field. He's going to need the sympathy vote to get people to be ok with him.

• Haha
Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
People don't leave coordinator jobs to take a pay and status cut.

I don't see how Kirk can demote him to ol Coach. He'd have to take a massive pay cut plus it would be tough to remain on staff working along side a new coordinator.
I don't see how Kirk finding him a job in the NFL would be considered anything other than firing him and again it would be a huge pay cut with no job security.
Leaving for a lateral job as coordinator or asst hc would allow him to save face but no one is going to hire him at this point.
I only see two options: keep him in his current position and bring in more analyst/new assistants to essentially run the off and have Brian be the coordinator in name only (get a real QB coach, give up play calling responsibilities).
Or hire a new oc and fire Barnett and move Brian to Ol Coach and make it appear that it was somehow his idea or that he is volunteerily doing it out of selflessness because he thinks it's what the program needs the most right now and he is the best man for the job and that's just the loyal, dedicated, leader/man he is. Off course he will retain his current salary and may even be called run game coordinator or assistant to the assistant regional manager or something similar

I don't see how Kirk can demote him to ol Coach. He'd have to take a massive pay cut plus it would be tough to remain on staff working along side a new coordinator.
I don't see how Kirk finding him a job in the NFL would be considered anything other than firing him and again it would be a huge pay cut with no job security.
Leaving for a lateral job as coordinator or asst hc would allow him to save face but no one is going to hire him at this point.
I only see two options: keep him in his current position and bring in more analyst/new assistants to essentially run the off and have Brian be the coordinator in name only (get a real QB coach, give up play calling responsibilities).
Or hire a new oc and fire Barnett and move Brian to Ol Coach and make it appear that it was somehow his idea or that he is volunteerily doing it out of selflessness because he thinks it's what the program needs the most right now and he is the best man for the job and that's just the loyal, dedicated, leader/man he is. Off course he will retain his current salary and may even be called run game coordinator or assistant to the assistant regional manager or something similar
I don’t care if they keep his pay at what it is. Even give him a splashy title of Supreme Commander of Hair Product and Master Hydration Guru. Just make room for a new scheme please.

Did you just suggest one option that you don't think can happen?

;)

KF- actually let him do the job Brian's way like he did against Ohio State 2017. Let him make the game plan, pick the players (no Petras) and let her rip. Play to win! Not play not to lose. This Qb shit has been going on since 2001. McCann over Banks. 008 Jake C. over Stanzi. 2014 Ruddock over CJ. Today Petras over Labas I believe. It seemed like DJK and Wadley were always in the Ferentz doghouse, maybe deservedly so but they could play at a high level in big games. What puzzles me is KF was on Hayden's staff for 8 years and Fry had a pretty darn good offensive imagination. Did Kirk not like it?

Promote Brian to HC In Waiting with a raise then take OL duties while we hire a 68 year old fossil to take the reigns of QB coach. Fire G Barnett. Barta bends over and does what his boss tells him. Gary talks about his full faith that BF will lead us to champions for the next two decades. Gary still refuses to fix his crooked teeth. Volleyball coach or Rowing coach fired mid season for less. Gives Brian $40 million buyout to start because he is best for the job in his evaluation again because KF said so and that's the bottom line.

KF- actually let him do the job Brian's way like he did against Ohio State 2017. Let him make the game plan, pick the players (no Petras) and let her rip. Play to win! Not play not to lose. This Qb shit has been going on since 2001. McCann over Banks. 008 Jake C. over Stanzi. 2014 Ruddock over CJ. Today Petras over Labas I believe. It seemed like DJK and Wadley were always in the Ferentz doghouse, maybe deservedly so but they could play at a high level in big games. What puzzles me is KF was on Hayden's staff for 8 years and Fry had a pretty darn good offensive imagination. Did Kirk not like it?
Not he barfed at half time. It was offensive.

Not sure there is anything he can do. BF is damaged goods for more than reason and the Consultant is also contaminated by association.

Make some realistic changes so he can pull the offense out of last place. He can show how much he improved this offense…🙄
This I would let Brian loose no hamstringing him anymore. He plays the QB he wants and play calls are all his.... He can sink or swim with it. He's young enough to prove himself then if he fails so be it happens to college coaches all the time and they take a different gig elsewhere and work backup again.

BF's reputation is SO BAD with Iowa fans right now, that I don't see any way he stays with the organization, which is why I don't agree that he could be demoted back to OL coach. He'd have to build an OL like the '98 Broncos to avoid constant criticism.

The only way out has already been suggested above - KF needs to find someone in the NFL who owes him a huge favor and get BF a made-up/meaningless position like a quality-control coach or something like that. The lingering lawsuit makes him a difficult hire, but he might get by in the NFL with a job in which no one ever sees him or hears his name. BF can try to build his career back up from there.

As far as saving Iowa's offense, I don't know why people want this Budymeyer dude as our OC or QB coach. WTF has he done to deserve that? This team needs OUTSIDE HELP for the offense like no team I've ever witnessed. And the sooner the team moves on from the SP era the better; the kid will always be synonymous with god-awful offense. Like just about every other Iowa fans, I am befuddled at KF's loyalty to him despite having the worst offense in college football.

This is nonsense.

How can you possibly believe that KF decided to give BF the reigns for one game, and then took them away?

Also, I don't recall Wadley and DJK sitting on the bench very often, if ever.

And HF's "imagination" was better players on offense, better execution and a better scheme.

Budmeyer hasn't proven any help here since hired

Win

This is nonsense.

How can you possibly believe that KF decided to give BF the reigns for one game, and then took them away?

Also, I don't recall Wadley and DJK sitting on the bench very often, if ever.

And HF's "imagination" was better players on offense, better execution and a better scheme.
You have zero knowledge of Iowa football history with your arsine comments. I know from knowledge with former players that Kirk runs the offense. Its his scheme, his game plan, his player choices. My opinion only on 2017; KF knew we had limited chance against OSU and told Brian to let it rip and we did. Magical day. Next week we go to Madison and lay a monster KF turd with 66 yards of offense. Josh Jackson was our offense with 2x pick 6's. Abysmal! By the way the players I've known thru the years actually loved playing for Kirk. Not his scheme. Most made a shitpot in the League.

I wouldn’t do this, but the question is what would KF do…. He could “promote” Brian to assistant head coach (idk if that’s a thing or not) AND OL coach… that way his pay is same. Then Hire an OC and give him full power to run offense… I don’t know if this is even a feasible option but just a thought…

Last edited:
What are the odds that KF reaches out to Paul Chryst? Co-OC/OL coach?
Low. The more I think about this situation and KFs history the more I realize he will not demote Brian at all. The only way is if Brian finds another gig or is fired by Barta. That only happens if the president get involved or we literally have a 4 win season and stay below 125th ranked offense. I truly think if we win 5 games he’s safe.

You weather the storm this season and then come back next season with Brian at OC and have a good season. That's the fix. Fans have short memories and the ones calling for Brian's head will be lauding him after a 10 win season.

Not sure if the above is possible but that's what would need to occur.

KF does not fire assistants. Even after the “Texadus” fiasco with Chris White and Kennedy they just quietly took “other jobs.” He definitely is not firing Brian. He’ll lean on the 2019 & 2021 seasons as examples they can win with this system/staff and blame injuries & a young OL. Even in 2020, as disjointed as it was, the offense put up some decent statistics.

I fear the only way this shakes up is if BF realizes he is causing his dad a lot of stress and pain and leaves for an NFL assistant job. With his OL pedigree and Belichik connection I doubt he’d have trouble coaching OL or TEs in the league.

BF's reputation is SO BAD with Iowa fans right now, that I don't see any way he stays with the organization, which is why I don't agree that he could be demoted back to OL coach. He'd have to build an OL like the '98 Broncos to avoid constant criticism.

The only way out has already been suggested above - KF needs to find someone in the NFL who owes him a huge favor and get BF a made-up/meaningless position like a quality-control coach or something like that. The lingering lawsuit makes him a difficult hire, but he might get by in the NFL with a job in which no one ever sees him or hears his name. BF can try to build his career back up from there.

As far as saving Iowa's offense, I don't know why people want this Budymeyer dude as our OC or QB coach. WTF has he done to deserve that? This team needs OUTSIDE HELP for the offense like no team I've ever witnessed. And the sooner the team moves on from the SP era the better; the kid will always be synonymous with god-awful offense. Like just about every other Iowa fans, I am befuddled at KF's loyalty to him despite having the worst offense in college football.
This can't be done for a few reasons.

1) Brian isn’t going to take an 80% pay cut.

2) Belichick was never shy about hiring family, but he already has 2 of his own sons coaching with him along with James Ferentz who's a practice squad player. Adding another Ferentz might be too much for the organization to absorb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT