ADVERTISEMENT

If you were KF, how would you save BFs reputation now?

I agree with multiple above posts that cite the NFL as the most practical solution. Both Kirk and Brian have lots of NFL connections. College coaches who have had limited success find their way onto NFL staffs all the time — especially when they already have connections. A departure for the NFL would be a way for Brian to save face and for KF/Barta to avoid having to fire or demote him.

Ideally, KF would resign, but Barta could strongly suggest allowing an OC to have control over the offense if KF stayed. This last part is the tricky part, as KF is as stubborn as they come and Barta is highly unlikely to assert himself (and has no leverage considering the contract in place).

This can't be done for a few reasons.

1) Brian isn’t going to take an 80% pay cut.

2) Belichick was never shy about hiring family, but he already has 2 of his own sons coaching with him along with James Ferentz who's a practice squad player. Adding another Ferentz might be too much for the organization to absorb.
Brian is toxic due to the lawsuit. It would be a total disaster for any program at any level as soon as the players google him. And don't kid yourself about his NFL "experience." Dude only spent *one year* actually coaching players. The other years he was in "quality control." His hire was a total favor. No one is going to take him off our hands. Absolutely no one.

Brian is toxic due to the lawsuit. It would be a total disaster for any program at any level as soon as the players google him. And don't kid yourself about his NFL "experience." Dude only spent *one year* actually coaching players. The other years he was in "quality control." His hire was a total favor. No one is going to take him off our hands. Absolutely no one.
I already said it was a tall order. Maybe we could trade him for one of Belichicks?

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
You weather the storm this season and then come back next season with Brian at OC and have a good season. That's the fix. Fans have short memories and the ones calling for Brian's head will be lauding him after a 10 win season.

Not sure if the above is possible but that's what would need to occur.
This seems to me how KF would think.

He feels he has built up enough collateral over the years (even awkwardly mentioning 10 wins last year) to have zero fear how this year ends. Zero. Therefore, he is only concerned about how things will look at the end of next year. He knows another dud cannot be laid. That will have to result in changes like the end of 2014 "demanded."

I predict his son will remain OC for next year.

He feels he has built up enough collateral over the years (even awkwardly mentioning 10 wins last year) to have zero fear how this year ends. Zero. Therefore, he is only concerned about how things will look at the end of next year. He knows another dud cannot be laid. That will have to result in changes like the end of 2014 "demanded."

He's been through this before. Each time, it's been circle the wagons, put head deep into the sand and...sure enough, some fluke season puts the halo back around his noble brow. I'm guessing that NIL and, more importantly, the Transfer Portal and Kirk's stubborn rejection of it, will produce a different result...in the long, drawn-out end.

Will it end with Iowa being back in 1998? Or will he take us all the way back to the mid-70s? Hard to say, but he probably has 3 years of "good will" failures to show us.

Last edited:
You weather the storm this season and then come back next season with Brian at OC and have a good season. That's the fix. Fans have short memories and the ones calling for Brian's head will be lauding him after a 10 win season.

Not sure if the above is possible but that's what would need to occur.

That was last year's plan.

I’m curious what Brian could bring on the open market? He doesn’t strike me as head coach material. I’d say he’d be competitive for FCS jobs but without his last name, Buena Vista or Coe College at best for Brian.

You have zero knowledge of Iowa football history with your arsine comments. I know from knowledge with former players that Kirk runs the offense. Its his scheme, his game plan, his player choices. My opinion only on 2017; KF knew we had limited chance against OSU and told Brian to let it rip and we did. Magical day. Next week we go to Madison and lay a monster KF turd with 66 yards of offense. Josh Jackson was our offense with 2x pick 6's. Abysmal! By the way the players I've known thru the years actually loved playing for Kirk. Not his scheme. Most made a shitpot in the League.
You believe that KF handed over the reigns to BF for one game, and then took them back after the most successful offensive showing in a decade? And, my comment is arsine (whatever that means)?

Of course it is KF's offense - scheme, game plan, player choices - and it was his offense on that fun day in October when everything clicked. Plays that the Hawks run every week worked. Stanley was exceptional that day and threw for 226 yards - not exactly letting it rip. But the Hawks had 243 yards on the ground. Nothing too sexy - just more effective.

The Hawks had a lot of talent on that team compared to this one. They finished 5th in total offense for the year.

It's just KF hate that would make someone think that KF stepped aside for one game and then resumed control.

Oh, I have way more than "zero knowledge" about the history of Iowa football.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
KF- actually let him do the job Brian's way like he did against Ohio State 2017. Let him make the game plan, pick the players (no Petras) and let her rip. Play to win! Not play not to lose. This Qb shit has been going on since 2001. McCann over Banks. 008 Jake C. over Stanzi. 2014 Ruddock over CJ. Today Petras over Labas I believe. It seemed like DJK and Wadley were always in the Ferentz doghouse, maybe deservedly so but they could play at a high level in big games. What puzzles me is KF was on Hayden's staff for 8 years and Fry had a pretty darn good offensive imagination. Did Kirk not like it?
It's not like KF gave him free reign for OSU but put the handcuffs on him for other games. OSU game was the the perfect storm of everything going right from the pick 6 first play, to Bosa ejection on what would've been 4th down and perfect fake fg call by Woods. BF actually called a great game utilizing his TEs and throwing a lot on 1st and Schiano the DC for OSU did not call a good game or make necessary adjustments. To me it was like when you are playing B-ball and feel like you'll make every shot or making every putt when golfing. Everything bounced Iowa's way that day. Now that same season look at the games like the following week vs Wisc with less than 75 yards. 10 pts vs NW and MSU. 17 vs a bad MN team. OSU game was the exception not the norm for BF's career as a play caller and hasn't been close to it yet 50 some games later.

I see one of 2 things for KF to try and save Brian's rep. One they legally change Brian's name for a fresh start... Or 2 KF gives the fans the middle finger and brings back BF. But in doing so to try to save face we are going to hear all spring and summer how we will incorporate some new wrinkles, plays and "evolve" the offense etc. Come Utah St and W. Mich we may actually see some new things but come Big 10 season it will be the same shit show we are seeing now with only difference is new players in there replacing the ones who either graduated or left the program.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
KFs job is safe (thanks buyout), he doesn’t care about his own reputation, and even BF may be safe knowing Barta has no balls or leverage. He probably even wants to keep the status quo on offense/personnel/system. But the one real motivator for KF could be saving his son’s reputation and credibility, which he has to understand is on life support (if not already dead).

So say you’re KF…what would you do to try to save your son’s future!? Both realistic and creative/fun answers welcome!

If I were Kf, I’d probably publicly take the blame for the QB choice, fire Barnett, give Brian back the OL and have Budymeyer take the QBs, insert Padilla or Labas, and hope the offense shows some life the last six games.
At some point I highly doubt Brian wants to be saved- here at Iowa.

It can be no fun with the beating he’s taking locally and nationally and he hears the outside noise. It’s got to be no fun for his family. Going to the job each day has to feel like a major challenge.

Brian would likely just prefer to get a fresh start somewhere else where the slate is clean. He’s discovering now that having Dad as HC is as much of a curse as it can be a blessing.

The worst Offensive Coordinator in FBS football has no chance to become a head coach at the FCS level, having gotten his job as O Coordinator because of nepotism doesn't help, along with the lawsuit.

Brian's only chance of staying in coaching is to go back to the NFL as a position coach and hope that in 10 years he can work his way back to getting considered for a coordinator position somewhere. Unlikely.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
He needs to find BF a job in the NFL and move him out. This is actually hurting any chance BF has at a coaching career.
The only thing that would derail a future coaching career for Brian is an unexpected bad outcome in the trial next spring. That would be tough for him to overcome if he's found at fault in any way.

Outside of that, even despite his struggles as OC at Iowa, he'll get a position coach job in the NFL-- he's certainly not lost all coaching credibility. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he lands back in New England under Belicheck in fact.

KF does not fire assistants. Even after the “Texadus” fiasco with Chris White and Kennedy they just quietly took “other jobs.” He definitely is not firing Brian. He’ll lean on the 2019 & 2021 seasons as examples they can win with this system/staff and blame injuries & a young OL. Even in 2020, as disjointed as it was, the offense put up some decent statistics.

I fear the only way this shakes up is if BF realizes he is causing his dad a lot of stress and pain and leaves for an NFL assistant job. With his OL pedigree and Belichik connection I doubt he’d have trouble coaching OL or TEs in the league.
Those were as close to firings as happens. It's why guys like working for him, he doesn't obliterate their careers. White and Kennedy were not being brought back, they knew this and were told it. So they were free to pursue other jobs for a time while still under contract at Iowa, so when the resignations were announced they had other opportunities.

Same thing happened with Kazcenski and other assistants.

I have no idea what happens in the off-season. People want quick solutions. Sometimes there are none.

Reactions: Bozo2020
Shouldve taken the Shane Beamer route to prove his worth. I remember Shane saying, sure his father got his foot in the door, but he didnt want to hang on his father's coat tails. He's bounced around, came up through the ranks and earned his spot as HC at South Carolina. With doing that, he also worked for a lot of good football minds and has used that to get where he is. Worked at 7 different programs.

Better not happen. Nether KF or BF appear to be remotely in touch with where the offensive side of the game has gravitated to. Kirk playing the entitlement card is pathetic. “You’re never better than your last game”. Well after OSU KF will be 7-8 in his last 15 all the while having an elite level defense and special teams. Unfortunately, he is as much the problem as BF. Barta fires BF or he goes. Tells Kirk he can stay but hires a new OC that is touch with modern day offenses and knows how to use and develop skill players. Not big on panels, but in this case I would use one for recommendations for an OC. Go after some of the best offensive minds in college FB. Money should not be an object. Phil becomes Associate HC and he and his staff get a raise as does Levar Woods. I believe Betts, Hodge, and Copeland probably are worth retaining but that may be the OC’s call. Copeland has had an impossible job trying to recruit high level WRs to Iowa so I’m not ready to throw him under bus yet.

Shouldn't Brian see what's going on, and step down on his own to save Dad from the heartbreak of having to do it? Brian should be saving Dad's reputation, and Dad will make sure he lands on his feet somewhere else.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
KFs job is safe (thanks buyout), he doesn’t care about his own reputation, and even BF may be safe knowing Barta has no balls or leverage. He probably even wants to keep the status quo on offense/personnel/system. But the one real motivator for KF could be saving his son’s reputation and credibility, which he has to understand is on life support (if not already dead).

So say you’re KF…what would you do to try to save your son’s future!? Both realistic and creative/fun answers welcome!

If I were Kf, I’d probably publicly take the blame for the QB choice, fire Barnett, give Brian back the OL and have Budymeyer take the QBs, insert Padilla or Labas, and hope the offense shows some life the last six games.
BF was a good offensivel lineman--Change him to offensive line coach

BF was a good offensivel lineman--Change him to offensive line coach
It was make sense. But looking at Brian and his ego I doubt that happens. Which speaking of BF being so bad as OC has over shadowed a bit how bad Barnett has been as the OL coach.

Shouldn't Brian see what's going on, and step down on his own to save Dad from the heartbreak of having to do it? Brian should be saving Dad's reputation, and Dad will make sure he lands on his feet somewhere else.
Yes. In January 2022.

But that still holds for today and after this season. BF has to go - both for himself and for KF .... and obviously for the Iowa fans.

I wouldn’t. Brian is an adult. Let him figure out life on his own.

That's the problem when you tie your horse to your daddy's wagon. When daddy goes off the cliff you have to decide whether to follow or save yourself. The problem is, I can't tell if the wagon is pulling the horse or the horse is pulling the wagon. I suspect that it's a mutual thing.

That's the problem when you tie your horse to your daddy's wagon. When daddy goes off the cliff you have to decide whether to follow or save yourself. The problem is, I can't tell if the wagon is pulling the horse or the horse is pulling the wagon. I suspect that it's a mutual thing.
I used to think BF wanted (or at least was considering) a QB change to just try something new if nothing else but that Dad said no. After listening today - and especially the comment of “what’s the upside?” - I’m pretty much in the camp that they’re holding hands and jumping off the cliff together on this one…while giving everyone else the bird.

The snarky, sarcastic answers are bull$hit and we deserve better. They’re being paid collectively millions of dollars and are acting like toddlers being asking to try a new food.

I used to think BF wanted (or at least was considering) a QB change to just try something new if nothing else but that Dad said no. After listening today - and especially the comment of “what’s the upside?” - I’m pretty much in the camp that they’re holding hands and jumping off the cliff together on this one…while giving everyone else the bird.

The snarky, sarcastic answers are bull$hit and we deserve better. They’re being paid collectively millions of dollars and are acting like toddlers being asking to try a new food.
agreed. The upside is easy, we might win a game. The upside is we find out that BF and KF are bad evaluators and QB2 is actually better than QB1.

"Change" is not something Kirk does. He sees it as a sign of weakness.

If someone he respects does manage to get through to him (whoever that would be) he needs the shuffle the offense, but BFz back as a asst and install a competent OC...but who would want the job? Then at season end... BFz quietly goes back to an NFL asst coach job.
Interesting take where most of us think it is a sign of strength

It's not like KF gave him free reign for OSU but put the handcuffs on him for other games. OSU game was the the perfect storm of everything going right from the pick 6 first play, to Bosa ejection on what would've been 4th down and perfect fake fg call by Woods. BF actually called a great game utilizing his TEs and throwing a lot on 1st and Schiano the DC for OSU did not call a good game or make necessary adjustments. To me it was like when you are playing B-ball and feel like you'll make every shot or making every putt when golfing. Everything bounced Iowa's way that day. Now that same season look at the games like the following week vs Wisc with less than 75 yards. 10 pts vs NW and MSU. 17 vs a bad MN team. OSU game was the exception not the norm for BF's career as a play caller and hasn't been close to it yet 50 some games later.
Schiano canned after BF-esque defensive efforts and lands a B1G head coaching gig again. BF will recover from this if he moves on…will recover quickly.

Schiano canned after BF-esque defensive efforts and lands a B1G head coaching gig again. BF will recover from this if he moves on…will recover quickly.
Couldn't disagree more. OSU's defenses were terrific for Schiano's first two seasons as their DC (the Iowa game being an anomaly). His 3rd year their defense dropped into the 60s - Does top 60 sound "BF-esque" to you? Not to mention he was one of their best recruiters...and a former NFL head coach.

BF has nowhere near the street cred of Schiano. He is making national headlines for his poor offenses and having his job due to nepotism, has a reputation as a hot-head and has a racial discrimination lawsuit hanging over his head. If he has any kind of decent football coaching career it will be only because of his last name. Most people in the football world wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

I think something will happen at the end of the season, it has too. KF will find BF a new landing spot either at BF's request or KF may have his hand forced. What worries me more is what the transfer portal will look like for Iowa (offensively) in December.

All he needs to do is get batch of this and let him go

th

apples to oranges. Schiano got Rutgers job after a mess of a situation there and returned back to a school that has been awful and hadn't been good since he left a decade ago. Minus KU they've been one of the worst P5 teams since he left there. Honestly who knows what happens to BF if he moves on. One thing to say will be interesting where his coaching path takes him post Iowa whenever that may be which not holding my breath he goes as long as KF is around as sad as that is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT