ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine if Iowa had went with Marco in the MSU game

Dec 15, 2021
Marco showed He was a weapon with His legs and as He gained experience would have made this Offense better . Iowa wins against Minnesota and at least would have made Games of the BTCG and this one It takes Hill giving Tennessee 15 points and taking points off the board for Iowa to make the change . Sorry but Kirk has to own this . PS Brian , enjoy that bank roll Grifter.

Both Marco or labas after seeing little today would’ve been better. Least give some sort of threat with their legs. Not like they could be more inaccurate than deacon or be more careless with the ball. Or be statues in the pocket. Would’ve seen far less sacks. Still can’t fathom the roll out sack he took today in the 3rd with Johnson wide open in the flat.

I definitely think Iowa's offense would've been better with Marco. He would've bailed Iowa out much more with his legs. I'm sure he would've thrown some picks, but those growing pains happen.
He also would've gotten more confidence as a passer by getting real-time reps as the weeks went on.

Deacon showed some progress in games (Illinois and Rutgers for example), but was pretty quick to regress at other times, including sporadic play from week to week.

My only gripe in the limited time of seeing Lainez is his flat feet throwing the ball. The only reason I'm hesitant to harp on it more is because Hill does the same thing, so it COULD be attributed to poor coaching..........

Grand scheme of things what would have been different aside from likely beating MN which we should have anyway? Games would have been a bit more entertaining but that's about it... We weren't beating psu, Michigan or Tennessee today regardless.

Both Marco or labas after seeing little today would’ve been better. Least give some sort of threat with their legs. Not like they could be more inaccurate than deacon or be more careless with the ball. Or be statues in the pocket. Would’ve seen far less sacks. Still can’t fathom the roll out sack he took today in the 3rd with Johnson wide open in the flat.
That sack was money-on-the-game bad..............there really was no other excuse for that. He had all the time in the world to throw it away, let alone complete the pass to the open receiver.

Grand scheme of things what would have been different aside from likely beating MN which we should have anyway? Games would have been a bit more entertaining but that's about it... We weren't beating psu, Michigan or Tennessee today regardless.
Maybe not, but he scrambles today and you go up 7-0 instead of here we go again with Deacon then the game dynamic changes.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Yep so nothing to imagine. Just show the flaws in the other parts of the O. Which we all knew.

My only gripe in the limited time of seeing Lainez is his flat feet throwing the ball. The only reason I'm hesitant to harp on it more is because Hill does the same thing, so it COULD be attributed to poor coaching..........
This could very well be because of poor pass blocking and always having defenders in your face in 2 seconds or less. That young TN qb had a ton of time on many passes

Yeah, I think people need to pump the breaks here on 11. It's awesome to see an Iowa QB that can actually do something when no one is open, and blocking breaks down (something that happens way too often for Iowa) but we certainly didn't see anything with his arm that should create too much excitement just yet. Not trying to dog the kid, he's just a freshman and has a lot of time to improve, but I'm not sure much changes in the W/L columns with him out there.

We have to go get a guy in the portal. It's going to be tough to go find a guy who wants to come compete for the back-up position, but 12 very likely isn't staying healthy all year, we can't see 10 back out there, and jury is out on if 11 can make plays with his arm.

Uuugh...

Labas showed more in Kentucky game last year than Hill has the entire season. Why KF invested snaps in a QB like Hill with zero upside is just stupidity.

I don't know of going with Lainez would have led to more wins....Lainez looks a lot better with his legs than Padillo did. However, the offense needs to be redone to incorporate a mobile QB. Then it comes down to Lainez developing as passer. IF all you needed was a runner at QB, you could play a RB there and win...but you can't...teams will play Lainez for the run unless he develops his passing a lot more.

KF should have gone with Labas or Lainez and gone that route. Deacon shouild have been encouraged to transfer out. Budamyr needed to be booted also...he's the guy that brought in Deacon.

All that said, I appreciate Deacon giving his best effort...he gave himself a chance to prove himself at the P5 level and came up short. No shame in finding he doesn't have it.

I definitely think Iowa's offense would've been better with Marco. He would've bailed Iowa out much more with his legs. I'm sure he would've thrown some picks, but those growing pains happen.
If Deacon had led a nothing offense, but took care of the ball and just let the Iowa D do it’s thing then I’d at least listen to the argument that Iowa couldn’t afford the risk of Lainez getting turnover happy as a freshman….but Deacon Hill was a turnover machine from the start, so it’s just a wild choice.

I do want to point out that Marco had success against a somewhat tired defense that knew the game was won.

Still, suspect much better than Hill.
I do want to point out the time of possession was almost equal, with Tennessee having the ball a little longer.

Fail on your part.

This could very well be because of poor pass blocking and always having defenders in your face in 2 seconds or less. That young TN qb had a ton of time on many passes
What I mean by flat feet is after your drop your feet just plant and you scan your receiver options without moving your feet or body.

That wouldn't and shouldn't be affected by the pass rush and if anything should mean your feet ARE moving to not get caught in a bad position by the defense..............like Hill typically was.

Cade was healthy for PSU so grand scheme of things after is a Minnesota win, Floyd in the complex and an underclassman who has some skills with more Game experience and do not forget that a few of those Michigan points were on Hill as well. Maybe Iowa's Offense is better late in the Season with a QB who has had 8 weeks to grow and the entire Bowl prep as QB1 to face Tennessee .

Yeah, I think people need to pump the breaks here on 11. It's awesome to see an Iowa QB that can actually do something when no one is open, and blocking breaks down (something that happens way too often for Iowa) but we certainly didn't see anything with his arm that should create too much excitement just yet. Not trying to dog the kid, he's just a freshman and has a lot of time to improve, but I'm not sure much changes in the W/L columns with him out there.

We have to go get a guy in the portal. It's going to be tough to go find a guy who wants to come compete for the back-up position, but 12 very likely isn't staying healthy all year, we can't see 10 back out there, and jury is out on if 11 can make plays with his arm.

Uuugh...
He showed He has to be accounted for by the defense because He can make plays with His feet, That is 1 thing better than any other QB Iowa trotted out this Year .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT