ADVERTISEMENT

In Celebration of ***6 days*** until Iowa Football......

Before Chuck Long, another legendary Hawkeye wore #16 - Paul Krause - who went on to greater success in the NFL. Krause played DB, WR, and RB on the football team and was also an All-American baseball player. He moved on to the NFL in 1964, first to Washington and then to Minnesota, where he played on all four Vikings Super Bowl teams. Krause holds the NFL career record for interceptions (81) - topping another former Hawkeye, Emlen Tunnell (79) - and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

B25n8I4CMAAcN9V.jpg:large

For 15 - we have Tyler Goodsen!

At the time, I didn't understand why he didn't come back for his senior year. I thought he would go higher in the draft with a better senior season. After seeing our offense that year, I think he made the right choice to go pro when he did. If he had a better O Line in his upperclassmen years, I think he would be someone we compare to Shonn Greene.

Before Chuck Long, another legendary Hawkeye wore #16 - Paul Krause - who went on to greater success in the NFL. Krause played DB, WR, and RB on the football team and was also an All-American baseball player. He moved on to the NFL in 1964, first to Washington and then to Minnesota, where he played on all four Vikings Super Bowl teams. Krause holds the NFL career record for interceptions (81) - topping another former Hawkeye, Emlen Tunnell (79) - and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

B25n8I4CMAAcN9V.jpg:large
I remember Paul very well. Crazy athletic ability. One of the best ever for the Hawkeyes.

#13 is for Ramon "The Razor" Ochoa, one of KF's first recruits. Ochoa was the proverbial "next man in" as a senior in 2003 at both WR and PR. He scored two receiving TDs in his first career start against Arizona State and still holds the Iowa season records for most punt returns (40) and most punt return yardage (495). I've seen one web site claim Ochoa played the 2003 season with a stress fracture in his leg.

#13 is for Ramon "The Razor" Ochoa, one of KF's first recruits. Ochoa was the proverbial "next man in" as a senior in 2003 at both WR and PR. He scored two receiving TDs in his first career start against Arizona State and still holds the Iowa season records for most punt returns (40) and most punt return yardage (495). I've seen one web site claim Ochoa played the 2003 season with a stress fracture in his leg.

Great pick.

I don't think that would be a touchdown today.

Gordy Bohannon wore #11 as a Hawkeye and was part of Hayden Fry's first recruiting class as a JC transfer. In 1981 he took over the QB position for an injured Pete Gales and helped lead the Hawks to their first winning season in 20 years and a B1G championship. Fun fact: Bohannon grew up in Pasadena and got to play his final collegiate game at the Rose Bowl.

gordy_bohannon5.jpg

#11 has figured prominently in Hawkeye lore. Two key Hawkeyes from the great 1950s teams are Kenny Ploen and Bob Jeter. Ploen was a first-team All-American QB in 1956, plus B1G and Rose Bowl MVP. He led the team in passing, rushing, and scoring on the offensive side, and on defense had the most INTs. He had a fine career in the CFL. Jeter was RB and DB on the 1958 B1G and Rose Bowl champs. He set a Rose Bowl record of 194 yards rushing on just 9 carries. In the NFL Jeter was a Pro Bowl DB for the Packers.

ken_ploen.jpg

bob_jeter2.jpg

8 - Chuck Hartlieb wore #8 for the Hawks. He was the All-B1G QB in 1987 and 1988, after winning a three-way QB battle in 1987 and not cementing himself as the starter until game 6. "The other Chuck" still figures prominently in the Hawkeye record book, especially in season and game performance. For example, Hartlieb has most passing yards in a game (558) as well as second and fourth most, most TD passes in a game (7), and most passing yards in a season (3738) as well as third most.

636371867788364567-Hartlieb07.jpg

Last edited:
8 - Chuck Hartlieb wore #8 for the Hawks. He was the All-B1G QB in 1987 and 1988, after winning a three-way QB battle in 1987 and not cementing himself as the starter until game 6. "The other Chuck" still figures prominently in the Hawkeye record book, especially in season and game performance. For example, Hartlieb has most passing yards in a game (558) as well as second and fourth most, most TD passes in a game (7), and most passing yards in a season (3738) as well as third most.

636371867788364567-Hartlieb07.jpg
i'll say it again... i miss offense

s-l1200.jpg

One of my favorite Hawkeyes. Overcame some early injuries to come back and be all Big 10. Back to back years with a big pick six vs Indiana to win those games. Sure Mel Kiper was eventually proven right about him being drafted way too high by the Cardinals, but his last two years at Iowa were perhaps the best couple years of any CB we had during that era.

Another #8 to celebrate is the great LeRoy Smith.......... ;)

Smith set the program record with a 5 sack performance (along with 14 total tackles) in a criminally-underrated 16-9 victory at Ohio State in 1991.

He was co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus 1st Team All-American. Smith's 18 total sacks on the season was also a Big Ten record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT