ADVERTISEMENT

Interest in Ryan Grubb - OC Washington Huskies??

I thought Brian was gonna do that!
Nah, Brian can

jeremy-piven-gtfo.gif

I’d seen DeBoer’s name mentioned as potential HC candidate when Kirk retires but didn’t remember seeing Grubb’s to help with the offense.

Stumbled across it during the night & saw he was an Iowa native, so seemed to be an option that made sense. If Saban’s interested enough to consider Grubb, he must have some potential.

He's making 2 million a year? Penix had a helluva year for Washington last year. Not sure why we keep bringing guys names up when there has been absolutely no word in Iowa City about any changes being made on the offensive side of the ball. And if he's making 2 million why would he leave Seattle?

He's making 2 million a year? Penix had a helluva year for Washington last year. Not sure why we keep bringing guys names up when there has been absolutely no word in Iowa City about any changes being made on the offensive side of the ball. And if he's making 2 million why would he leave Seattle?
Points well taken. Clearly, we'd have to pay him a competitive wage and getting him away from DeBoer might prove difficult. The positive for him would be he'd be coming home to Iowa to raise a family.

Some leave Iowa and never look back. I was out of state for 14 years. Every time I'd come back, it felt great to be back home. He may feel differently but that was my experience.
I've been to WA & AL. Both states have their positives but neither stack up to the people of Iowa.

Just to be clear, I understand we may see no change. I'm not even advocating for Grubb. Might be a good fit but again it might not. I also try very hard to place my faith in our leadership.

I made the post at 2:30 in the morning. I rarely post, let alone start a thread in the middle of the night, so take it with a grain of salt. I simply couldn't sleep and stumbled across the article, so thought I'd share to see what other folks might think. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

C'mon, man. Grubb was one of the top 3 offensive coordinators in college football last year and led Washington to an 11-2 season (after they won only 4 games the previous year) and a high flying offense. He just interviewed for the OC job at Alabama.

Let's be realistic. Guys like that aren't working under Kirk Ferentz, no matter what Iowa pays. He's not a yes man.

C'mon, man. Grubb was one of the top 3 offensive coordinators in college football last year and led Washington to an 11-2 season (after they won only 4 games the previous year) and a high flying offense. He just interviewed for the OC job at Alabama.

Let's be realistic. Guys like that aren't working under Kirk Ferentz, no matter what Iowa pays. He's not a yes man.

Why's he interviewing with Saban then?...

Just to be clear, I understand we may see no change. I'm not even advocating for Grubb. Might be a good fit but again it might not. I also try very hard to place my faith in our leadership.

I made the post at 2:30 in the morning. I rarely post, let alone start a thread in the middle of the night, so take it with a grain of salt. I simply couldn't sleep and stumbled across the article, so thought I'd share to see what other folks might think. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Thanks for posting. I had no idea he was from Iowa. He definitely is an oc on the rise.

You do realize Saban totally revamped his offense when he realized he wasn't just going to play power football and continue to beat everyone? After teams started beating him w/faster offenses and more possessions? He might yell and scream at his coaches but he let's them coach. And if he doesn't like how it goes they might also get fired.

Reactions: pocha444444
Uh, do you know anything about Saban? The guy is the anti-Ferentz. Not only does he not hire incompetent yes men (they wouldn't last 1 season on his staff), but his past offensive coordinators have all run very different offenses, including:

Lane Kiffin - an offensive genius who completely revamped Alabama's offense the very first season he got there. Now a head coach.

Steve Sarkesian - superstar offensive coach, known as an innovator. Now a head coach.

Jim McElwain - ran a power offense, completely different than either of the two above. Now a head coach.

Mike Locksley - built an offense around Tua. Now a head coach.

Now compare with Iowa's OC's under Ferentz. O'Keefe, a known yes man, was ultimately demoted from OC to take a WRs coach position, then come back as a QBs coach. Davis, fired from his previous jobs, begged Kirk for a chance, and never worked again after Iowa. Brian, who despite trying with all his might, can't get work anywhere else other than HyVee.

There's a reason Kirk's coaching tree is so embarrassingly thin over the past 20 years.

Uh, do you know anything about Saban? The guy is the anti-Ferentz. Not only does he not hire incompetent yes men (they wouldn't last 1 season on his staff), but his past offensive coordinators have all run very different offenses, including:

Lane Kiffin - an offensive genius who completely revamped Alabama's offense the very first season he got there. Now a head coach.

Steve Sarkesian - superstar offensive coach, known as an innovator. Now a head coach.

Jim McElwain - ran a power offense, completely different than either of the two above. Now a head coach.

Mike Locksley - built an offense around Tua. Now a head coach.

Now compare with Iowa's OC's under Ferentz. O'Keefe, a known yes man, was ultimately demoted from OC to take a WRs coach position, then come back as a QBs coach. Davis, fired from his previous jobs, begged Kirk for a chance, and never worked again after Iowa. Brian, who despite trying with all his might, can't get work anywhere else other than HyVee.

There's a reason Kirk's coaching tree is so embarrassingly thin over the past 20 years.
I thought O'Keefe left to coach at the Dolphins and came back when the oc job wasn't available. I could be wrong though. Age is the enemy of memory.

I'm going out on a limb, but I believe Kirk will now TRIPLE down on Brian, especially now that McNamara is here. However if Brian is retained as OC and Iowa's offense again sucks donkey balls, then I think not only Brian but Kirk head should be on the chopping blocks at the end of next season. Just sayin, Kirk has seen the writing on the wall but refuses to acknowledge it IMOP. Personally, even if Brian returns, I truly hope the OL improves and Cade makes a big difference and the Offense can be an asset to the team. I would be fine eating crow

Last edited:
Points well taken. Clearly, we'd have to pay him a competitive wage and getting him away from DeBoer might prove difficult. The positive for him would be he'd be coming home to Iowa to raise a family.

Some leave Iowa and never look back. I was out of state for 14 years. Every time I'd come back, it felt great to be back home. He may feel differently but that was my experience.
I've been to WA & AL. Both states have their positives but neither stack up to the people of Iowa.
Born and raised in Iowa, went to Univ of Iowa. Then for work lived in Tennessee, Oklahoma, Colorado, So Cal, back to Iowa, then New Jersey, Wisconsin, and back to Iowa......for good. Traveled in every state but Alaska. I love being here. The older I get the colder it feels but when I retire I'll take care of that with a few months south somewhere. People here are the best.

Reactions: Bones Malone

We can dream though, can't we? ;)

51-26 since BF became OC.

46-32 in the six years prior.

Joke's on us. I bet that Beth is a Penn State sleeper agent or something. Only an idiot or a traitor would fire an OC who makes his team better. Or maybe she was sent from Michigan since they apparently like to cheat. In the meantime, the less intelligent in our fanbase is acting like there was some time before BF when we were just ripping off better 6 year records. They're not real Iowa fans either, IYAM. Real Iowa fans understand the blood and the sweat that the Ferentz family poured into this program to make it about as good as it will probably ever be. But hey, don't come cry to me next year.

Joke's on us. I bet that Beth is a Penn State sleeper agent or something. Only an idiot or a traitor would fire an OC who makes his team better. Or maybe she was sent from Michigan since they apparently like to cheat. In the meantime, the less intelligent in our fanbase is acting like there was some time before BF when we were just ripping off better 6 year records. They're not real Iowa fans either, IYAM. Real Iowa fans understand the blood and the sweat that the Ferentz family poured into this program to make it about as good as it will probably ever be. But hey, don't come cry to me next year.

How so? By building up the defenses' confidence in practice?

Thanks Mary! Think of this as a positive you will see your first born son more often.

Reactions: Andrew Houk

Iowa won because of elite defense, special teams, and scheduling.

Ryan Grubb turned down an offer from Saban to be the OC at Alabama. Alabama settled for ND's Tommy Rees.

Sigh...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT