ADVERTISEMENT

DEFENSE Developments in IU game, Who Starts Moving Forward (Riley or Hankins, etc) & INJURY Updates

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
What follows is a summary of what was discussed by Chad Leistikow & Mark Emmert in their HawkCentral postgame podcast. This is a summary of what literally came out of their mouths. To listen for yourself, a link to the 25 minute podcast is at the end of this post.

Kristian Welch had 8 tackles in the IU game. Jones never got in the IU game because Welch played flawlessly and there was no need to make a change.

The defense as a whole played much better than last week:
* 2 interceptions in the end zone
* some big stops on short yardage situations
* this was IU's lowest scoring output of the year
* this was IU's 2nd lowest rushing total
* Iowa kept the IU QB (a really good player) in check

* Regarding the 2 freshman corners, Brents & Moss:

--Brents had a ton of family in attendance

--Brents had a good game & MN & IU preferred to go at Moss (as opposed to Brents)

--Moss gave up ONE TD & had 6 solo tackles vs IU

--Hankins was dressed but did not play a single snap

--OJ played in nickel and gave up a couple big plays & might have lost job to Brents

--Hankins & Brents might be your starting corners (for next 3 years!) once fully healthy

Hesse had a really good game.

Hooker's importance to the team is becoming very clear. Hooker played the outside LB and played it so well it looked like his natural position. Hooker played the whole game.

We never saw Barrington Wade

Iowa essentially went with a 4-2-5 defense with Hooker playing wherever he needed to line up.

Ferentz commented after the game that this will force them to make some tough decisions moving forward because:

* Per KF, Geno Stone looked like a starter & KF told Emmert that he earned a starting spot, whether he gets one or not.

* Hooker looked good at LB but Iowa probably gets Neimann and Hockaday back next week

* Christian Welch deserves to be out there based on his play

* So what will Iowa do because KF made it clear that these players have opened the coaches' eyes and that they all deserve to be on the field. And what about Jones, who played well in the 2nd half vs Minnesota?

With all the injuries on defense over the last couple weeks, things have evolved on defense where Iowa suddenly has a lot of depth.

Stone, Welch and Jones might be on the outside looking in and per Mark, "they would start on a lot of teams."

As Chad said, "all of the sudden they're going to have an embarrassment of riches on a defense that is already playing really well."

LINK to this podcast:

Last edited:
Amani won’t play unless the run is the team’s main offense. But 4 down linemen and Jones at MLB to stop the run and quick guys at the other 6 positions is a good option too. I’d say Geno over Gervase and keep Hooker at safety. Definitely Hankins and Brents as starters at CB. I like the hybrid LB’s like Colbert as they are quicker to the ball and can run with slot WR’s and TE’s.

What follows was all discussed in the Chad Leistikow/Mark Emmert HawkCentral postgame podcast:

Kristian Welch had 8 tackles in the IU game. Jones never got in the IU game because Welch played flawlessly and there was no need to make a change.

The defense as a whole played much better than last week:
* 2 interceptions in the end zone
* some big stops on short yardage situations
* this was IU's lowest scoring output of the year
* this was IU's 2nd lowest rushing total
* Iowa kept the IU QB (a really good player) in check

* Regarding the 2 freshman corners, Brents & Moss:

--Brents had a ton of family in attendance

--Brents had a good game & MN & IU preferred to go at Moss (as opposed to Brents)

--Moss gave up ONE TD & had 6 solo tackles vs IU

--Hankins was dressed but did not play a single snap

--OJ played in nickel and gave up a couple big plays & might have lost job to Brents

--Hankins & Brents might be your starting corners (for next 3 years!) once fully healthy

Hesse had a really good game.

Hooker's importance to the team is becoming very clear. Hooker played the outside LB and played it so well it looked like his natural position. Hooker played the whole game.

We never saw Barrington Wade

Iowa essentially went with a 4-2-5 defense with Hooker playing wherever he needed to line up.

Ferentz commented after the game that this will force them to make some tough decisions moving forward because:

* Per KF, Geno Stone looked like a starter & KF told Emmert that he earned a starting spot, whether he gets one or not.

* Hooker looked good at LB but Iowa probably gets Neimann and Hockaday back next week

* Christian Welch deserves to be out there based on his play

* So what will Iowa do because KF made it clear that these players have opened the coaches' eyes and that they all deserve to be on the field. And what about Jones, who played well in the 2nd half vs Minnesota?

With all the injuries on defense over the last couple weeks, things have evolved on defense where Iowa suddenly has a lot of depth.

Stone, Welch and Jones might be on the outside looking in and per Mark, "they would start on a lot of teams."

As Chad said, "all of the sudden they're going to have an embarrassment of riches on a defense that is already playing really well."

LINK to this podcast:
Very good problem to have, much like having too many customers at work!

Amani won’t play unless the run is the team’s main offense. But 4 down linemen and Jones at MLB to stop the run and quick guys at the other 6 positions is a good option too. I’d say Geno over Gervase and keep Hooker at safety. Definitely Hankins and Brents as starters at CB. I like the hybrid LB’s like Colbert as they are quicker to the ball and can run with slot WR’s and TE’s.
i give a lot of credit to the defensive coaches; there's been a ton of shuffling in the back 7 and the D has still been solid

and getting 2 freshmen corners ready for Minny and UI? That's pretty impressive.

The coaching staff truly develops these guys into great football players.

Impossible. Read on here earlier this week that Hooker was overrated.
He is actually really good. Glad to see him and Welch get some props.

I’m surprised people have said this. He’s made a few mistakes here and there but shows athleticism, good instincts and makes good plays. I’ve always liked him.
To add to this article, is there a better pass rusher in the big 10 than Espenesa?

Reactions: Franisdaman
I’m surprised people have said this. He’s made a few mistakes here and there but shows athleticism, good instincts and makes good plays. I’ve always liked him.
To add to this article, is there a better pass rusher in the big 10 than Espenesa?
i would love to see a few more reps from AJ but heck, the whole DL rotation looks great!

the only thing, to me, that has been shaky on this team is kick returns (both punt and kick off):
* vs Wisky, 2 punt return miscues cost us a win
* vs IU, it appeared we lost at least one kick in the sun, where ISM let the ball drop and roll before he picked it up; that could have been disastrous

If Iowa goes back to a conventional 4-3 when Hockaday and Niemann return, I would hope we would see Hooker and Stone as the safeties. It was painful watching guys run right past Gervase yesterday in open field situations. He’s played well in the past, but Stone needs to be in there. I agree on CBs, I think we see Hankins and Brents going forward with OJ and Moss occasionally in on 3rd down nickel situations. This is a very good, YOUNG defense. Could be a very exciting couple years going forward.

If Iowa goes back to a conventional 4-3 when Hockaday and Niemann return, I would hope we would see Hooker and Stone as the safeties. It was painful watching guys run right past Gervase yesterday in open field situations. He’s played well in the past, but Stone needs to be in there. I agree on CBs, I think we see Hankins and Brents going forward with OJ and Moss occasionally in on 3rd down nickel situations. This is a very good, YOUNG defense. Could be a very exciting couple years going forward.
this week's 2 deeps should be interesting

What a luxury to have interchangeable parts and have personnel that you can insert to create a unique scheme for each opponent.

Yes, there will be some situations where some good players see less minutes, but this Iowa defense could be very special

Reactions: dbrocket
Once everyone is back and healthy, the ability to rotate from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 on clear passing downs will benefits the Hawks, especially against PSU and Purdue. I like this alignment and sudden find of riches as the D is only getting better along with the O.

If I’m the Iowa Coaching staff, I play the 4-3 to start the Maryland game and let Welch, Colbert, Jones, and Hooker rotate and bring the wood on the Maryland running backs on runs and out of the backfield passes. Then rotate to the 4-2-5 on 2nd/3rd and 10 or longer situations to keep everyone fresh and strong for the second half of the season.

Jones could be good to work in against Maryland since their forte is the run game, but it's his pass coverage, particularly in space, that he needs to find a way to improve on. That's also easier said than done because he's just not the quickest guy on the field. He moves with power and will hit running downhill, but in order to keep up with a RB or a receiver in coverage he has to give up some ground. That's where teams like Northwestern exploit us for 5-8 yd pass plays in a methodical drive down the field, and give us trouble.

Jones took a few snaps at LB in the waning moments.

Why would you take our best safety off the field for Stone? Gervase totally outplayed Hooker again, but all anyone talks about is Hooker and Stone. Gervase led the team in tackles, had a PD and an INT and no one even mentions him. Go ask PP who the most consistent safety has been from the last 5 games last year through this season so far. I know you won't take my word for it. Yes, Gervase bit on the dead leg move from the QB and let him get around him, but that QB is a tough dude in the open field. Look at the plays that QB has made all year. He's made almost everyone miss and look bad one on one in the open field. It gets old.

Reactions: steventrelain
Might be the guy on the other end of the line.......;)

Jones could be good to work in against Maryland since their forte is the run game, but it's his pass coverage, particularly in space, that he needs to find a way to improve on. That's also easier said than done because he's just not the quickest guy on the field. He moves with power and will hit running downhill, but in order to keep up with a RB or a receiver in coverage he has to give up some ground. That's where teams like Northwestern exploit us for 5-8 yd pass plays in a methodical drive down the field, and give us trouble.
Thats what is so nice about the development of guys like Colbert, and Hooker. PP has options to move players around based off the strengths of the opponent. A different line up against Maryland then say against Northwestern, is something we probably haven't been able to pull off most years without a significant dropoff. Now all these guys have been seasoned on the field with important actual game experience. Can't do anything but help going forward.

Just for the record, I like Hooker and I think we are very fortunate to have someone like Stone who can step in at safety without much of a drop off. He and Hooker will be a very nice tandem back there next year and with our top 4 corners coming back, the future is bright, although they will have to develop some depth at safety, but I'm confident that they will and it wouldn't surprise me if Moss moves to safety next year. Sorry for the long sentence. :)

Why would you take our best safety off the field for Stone? Gervase totally outplayed Hooker again, but all anyone talks about is Hooker and Stone. Gervase led the team in tackles, had a PD and an INT and no one even mentions him. Go ask PP who the most consistent safety has been from the last 5 games last year through this season so far. I know you won't take my word for it. Yes, Gervase bit on the dead leg move from the QB and let him get around him, but that QB is a tough dude in the open field. Look at the plays that QB has made all year. He's made almost everyone miss and look bad one on one in the open field. It gets old.
Let’s just run with all three seem to be very solid players.

My take .....

Against passing teams ... they'll keep the look with Hooker as the OLB. They'll likely have it also be more of the go-to formation on obvious passing downs. That way the personnel package doesn't gather dust. Besides, as others have alluded, Kirk clearly really appreciates the play of Geno Stone (and I bet Phil shares that sentiment).

A big questions that folks haven't yet broached is this ... who will play the nickel back when Hankins is back to 100%. I agree that the starters are most likely Hankins and Brents ... but thus far, I'm of the opinion that Riley Moss might be the better option when playing nickel than Ojemudia. I love OJ and I think that he's a great Hawk ... but he lets guys get behind too easily ... and when he does, he panics (and draws the PI).

As for LB ... holy crap will that be a tough situation for Phil and Seth to sort out. First off ... having Hooker play the hybrid OLB is an experiment that has been working. Do you go away from something that is working? The answer might depend on how healthy Niemann is and how well he practices at LEO.

Furthermore, even against Minnesota, when he was healthy ... I was seeing Hockaday make a bunch of mistakes. Hockaday was a great feel-good story at the start of the season ... but will he be able to retain the spot? Jones played well at the spot in the second half against the Gophers and Welch played pretty solidly against IU at MIKE.

The only things I'm certain about at LB is that Colbert seems to have locked down the WILL spot ... and that, when healthy, I would have told you that Niemann had locked down the LEO spot.

The D definitely has found some options with its personnel.

My take .....

Against passing teams ... they'll keep the look with Hooker as the OLB. They'll likely have it also be more of the go-to formation on obvious passing downs. That way the personnel package doesn't gather dust. Besides, as others have alluded, Kirk clearly really appreciates the play of Geno Stone (and I bet Phil shares that sentiment).

A big questions that folks haven't yet broached is this ... who will play the nickel back when Hankins is back to 100%. I agree that the starters are most likely Hankins and Brents ... but thus far, I'm of the opinion that Riley Moss might be the better option when playing nickel than Ojemudia. I love OJ and I think that he's a great Hawk ... but he lets guys get behind too easily ... and when he does, he panics (and draws the PI).

As for LB ... holy crap will that be a tough situation for Phil and Seth to sort out. First off ... having Hooker play the hybrid OLB is an experiment that has been working. Do you go away from something that is working? The answer might depend on how healthy Niemann is and how well he practices at LEO.

Furthermore, even against Minnesota, when he was healthy ... I was seeing Hockaday make a bunch of mistakes. Hockaday was a great feel-good story at the start of the season ... but will he be able to retain the spot? Jones played well at the spot in the second half against the Gophers and Welch played pretty solidly against IU at MIKE.

The only things I'm certain about at LB is that Colbert seems to have locked down the WILL spot ... and that, when healthy, I would have told you that Niemann had locked down the LEO spot.

I think the best lineup could be Niemann Welch and Colbert for the next two years. I would like to see them put 20 pounds on jones and make him a DE in pass Rush situations. He is a high motor guy who could be a monster coming off the edge

What a luxury to have interchangeable parts and have personnel that you can insert to create a unique scheme for each opponent.

Yes, there will be some situations where some good players see less minutes, but this Iowa defense could be very special
yeah, Hooker seems to be a rover where he he can play the 3rd LB or as a safety valve for the pass; Parker seems to plug him in where needed

I think we as fans take Phil Parker for granted; he's done a helluva job this year

Good to have you back CMHawk99.

My take .....

Gosh, I watched the 4th qtr of Neb and N'w; I think you are right in that we will see a 4-2-5 most of the time vs N'w because N'w cannot run the ball (which is weird after Justin Jackson gashed us for so many years)

Imagine if Brandon Snyder were still on the team; yikes! Talk about depth!

Wasn't Moss the lowest rated 2018 recruit for Iowa? I know ratings don't matter to KF but I think they mentioned this during the broadcast. I love Moss' speed; now, if he can get his head turned around on pass defense, I think he is gonna be a special player

I know a lot of people don't like hearing this but I think a lot of the playing time comes from how the players are practicing, especially those players coming back from injury. How you practice matters. If Hockaday is cleared to play but is not moving as well as Welch, Welch might be the starter, for example. I don't know how you keep Neimann off the field if he is 100%; he was playing so well.

Its weird, too, in that it seems like EVERY opening drive of our opponent, they drive down the field (we are bending) and then after that, Iowa's D seems to get better as the game progresses and the D settles in and adjusts. Just another example of really good coaching.

This is gonna be fun. Lets beat Maryland and then the week leading up to Penn State is really gonna be fun because its pretty much a must win the rest of the season.

OP said Jones never got in the game and wade never saw the field. He was wrong on both accounts.

OP said Jones never got in the game and wade never saw the field. He was wrong on both accounts.
If you were paying attention, you would know that I quoted Mark and Chad from their podcast. Listen to it; its only 25 min long.

Jones did not play at LB, correct? Sure he got in on special teams but the snap count discussion was on our LBs and Jones had 0 snap counts at LB. Or is that wrong and Jones did get in at LB?

Wade was in on 1 play at LB instead of 0?? So the snap count by Emmert was wrong by a grand total of 1?

Please let us know!

Thanks!

My take .....

I agree with most of what you said here. I really do think when niemann comes back they will play Neiman versus most every team and in most situations with only an occasional time that they will put hooker there

I think the best lineup could be Niemann Welch and Colbert for the next two years. I would like to see them put 20 pounds on jones and make him a DE in pass Rush situations. He is a high motor guy who could be a monster coming off the edge
Welch is a JR his year - we only have him through '19. Niemann, on the other hand, is just a SO ... so we have him for 2 more years. Colbert is just a RS FR ... so we have him for even longer!

Reactions: minuteman762
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT