ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat Rankings

A lot of solid points made here.

I, too, am in a camp that sees Hall-Amine-like outcomes.

I don't see it. Amine very similar to Hall in almost every way, just a lesser version. Kem is a shooter, and other than Zahid, I've never seen a shooter have any sucess against Hall. Hall will turn those shots into points real quick. If Kem doesn't shoot, then he's not using his biggest strength. IMO of course

If you had a straight up friendly conversation, I doubt many, if any, of those picking Kem to win actually consider Kem the better wrestler. But, saying it is a "dream" to think he could win is "very rose colored" as well.

1.)Hall wrestles a style that lends itself to very close scores with AA level competition. Keep wrestling close matches and all it takes is one mistake to lose. Hall has NOT proven himself infallible.

2.)Kemerer is a VERY good wrestler. Injuries and Nolf(I am sorry but there is no part of folkstyle wrestling that I consider Hall better than Nolf at) have really been the ONLY(excepting a poor decision to "palacio" with Palacio) thing holding him back and he has still finished top 4 both years he has competed in a rather deep weight class.

3.)Injury is a factor, but it isn't one you pre-season prognosticate with. Considering, unless you are a true insider, you have NO CLUE how his health is, it is only fair to pick him based on his wrestling abilities only.

4.)Strength-This is impossible to quantify as a benefit for either. Some guys can move up weights after cutting too much and become monsters. Churella did it. Luke did it. Hell Kutler did it as well. All were physical specimens jumping up 2 weights. With Kemerer's body type I would be truly surprised if lack of strength is even a slight factor.

5.) I think you are seriously devaluing Kem's mat wrestling. Do you recall a match where he was controlled on the mat or simply couldn't ride someone when he had to? Also, although I would agree, to this point, that Hall's neutral defense has proven better than Kem's neutral offense, the gap isn't that wide.

So with that said, Hall should be considered a favorite, but that gap is slight. A Kemerer win would not be more than a very mild surprise.

Now, if I had to personally pick, I would think their outcomes would be very similar to Hall vs. Amine. One point matches with Hall squeaking by each time.
When you want to give a detailed rebuttal but don't have the energy, those are the times you appreciate MSU! I couldn't have said it any better.

I don't see it. Amine very similar to Hall in almost every way, just a lesser version. Kem is a shooter, and other than Zahid, I've never seen a shooter have any sucess against Hall. Hall will turn those shots into points real quick. If Kem doesn't shoot, then he's not using his biggest strength. IMO of course
I think most on here realize Kem was struggling with that weight, moving up will only help him. But going off of your statement, if Kem shoots he's an idiot, if he doesn't shoot he's an idiot.

I think most on here realize Kem was struggling with that weight, moving up will only help him. But going off of your statement, if Kem shoots he's an idiot, if he doesn't shoot he's an idiot.

Just saying IMO a matchup issue more than anything

At least this is a thought out post, but I believe you are proving my point.

You're not picking Kem because you think he'll win, your picking him because he's your guy (fandom), but with nothing to show a strength for Kem over Hall. I never stated it was a "dream" for someone to pick him, I was trying to find out what strength you guys feel Kem has over Hall.

1. I believe Hall has about 100 wins so far in his career (I haven't checked), but only 4 guys (Amine, Kutler, Zahid, Crutchmer) have been defeated by Hall in a 1 point match, so his matches aren't 1 point matches that can go either way

2. I agree Kem is VERY good, but you're talking Elite with Nolf and Hall (both guys in finals every year they competed with multiple championships) compared to a non finalist..there is a big distinction there. Spencer is elite, Yianni elite, etc..

3. Injury is a factor becuase no one knows what you'll get. If people were picking Kem after watching him dominate for a month or so, I can get it. But after sitting out a year, bumping up 2 weights, it is a factor

4. True..can't quantify, but I would think if you asked all D1 coaches who is stronger between the 2, it would be a landslide (pure conjecture on my part)

5. Palacio (and Hall much better than him)

I didn't say 1 point matches only and I qualified it by AA level competition. 2 point matches are ALSO very close scores and that adds in Lujan, Skatzka, Labriola, Finesilver and Jordan.

Other than a late fall against Daniel Lewis and some early on domination of Skatzka before he turned it on at the end of last year, Hall hasn't really dominated any AA level competition.

Simply put, he is vulnerable. At the very least, he is much more vulnerable than the elite wrestlers that Sanderson has coached at PSU over the soon to be decade. Kemerer is a guy, IF HEALTHY, that truly has the potential to be at that level. If he stays healthy, I think you will recognize that, even with the PSU colored glasses!

Hall is 93-5 and has placed 1st-2nd-2nd. He has lost to 4 different opponents (Brucki, Meyer, B Jordan, Valencia x 2).

Kemerer is 84-8 and placed 3rd-4th. He has lost to 6 different opponents (Richardson, Sueflohn, Palacio, M Jordan, Berger, and Nolf x 3; Berger was inj default).

Neither is unbeatable, and both have been upset by lesser-ranked wrestlers.

Hall does in fact wrestle 1- and 2-point matches with top-10 opponents.

Hall is favored until proven otherwise, but I'm rooting for Kem and it wouldn't be a huge upset. Two great wrestlers.

No need to respond, Pish69; you've made your position crystal clear...multiple times.

I'm objective enough to bet Hall doesn't shoot on Kemerer a lot and, instead, wrestles a more defensive match. If Kem doesn't shoot a lot, the match is won by a point or two.

If Kem does shoot a lot, I'm taking Hall to win the scrambles, as I doubt Kem has Zahid-like horsepower to overwhelm Hall. But he could sneak in a TD somewhere along the way.

My best bet, though, is Kem tries to create his own offense, loses the first scramble, and the rest of the match is controlled by Hall. 3-2 or 3-1 win via counter TD and escape. Kem w/ an escape ot two. Much like a Hall-Amine match.

First, I'll look like an idiot here, but I thought I read a couple of months ago that Hall was taking an Oly redshirt and Cenzo was likely moving up. I must have missed when that changed, or it was bad info to start with.
Second, I was VERY impressed with Hall the first time I saw him live (Olympic trials), but since then, not so much. He always seems to get the job done when he needs to (except NCAA finals), but if Kem's shoulder doesn't become an issue, he can beat anyone. I'm not concerned about the two weight-class jump, I think he was cutting too much in 2017, and that affected him, and made him injury-prone. I think, if they wrestle, he beats Hall once this year. I hope it's at the NCAA tournament.

Now let me tell you boys how Cenzo going to flatten the Bull.....

nah..I'll stay away from that matchupo_O

Reactions: AFHawk86
So besides being an Iowa fan, what would be reasons someone picking Kem over Hall? Seriously?
1.) Iowa board
2.) Ironside can’t beat Kolat.
3.) Marianetti can’t beat McIlravy.
4.) Owings can’t beat Gable.
5.) Perry can’t beat Hendricks.
6.) Marinelli can’t beat Joseph.
7.) Weber has no chance of beating both Mollica and Branch in back to back matches.

I did not pick any of these upsets and not picking Kemerer yet, but how could you not understand why some are picking (hoping) for that upset?

At least this is a thought out post, but I believe you are proving my point.

You're not picking Kem because you think he'll win, your picking him because he's your guy (fandom), but with nothing to show a strength for Kem over Hall. I never stated it was a "dream" for someone to pick him, I was trying to find out what strength you guys feel Kem has over Hall.

1. I believe Hall has about 100 wins so far in his career (I haven't checked), but only 4 guys (Amine, Kutler, Zahid, Crutchmer) have been defeated by Hall in a 1 point match, so his matches aren't 1 point matches that can go either way

2. I agree Kem is VERY good, but you're talking Elite with Nolf and Hall (both guys in finals every year they competed with multiple championships) compared to a non finalist..there is a big distinction there. Spencer is elite, Yianni elite, Zahid elite, etc..

3. Injury is a factor becuase no one knows what you'll get. If people were picking Kem after watching him dominate for a month or so, I can get it. But after sitting out a year, bumping up 2 weights, it is a factor

4. True..can't quantify, but I would think if you asked all D1 coaches who is stronger between the 2, it would be a landslide (pure conjecture on my part)

5. Palacio (and Hall much better than him)

You’re ignoring a pretty glaring distinction between Nolf and Hall. Nolf was dominant against everyone not Isiah Martinez. Hall has not been. Equating Hall to Nolf is flawed. Hall is very good, but he’s not Nolf.

For the same reason, if the best weight for Kemerer was 165, I would give him the same likelihood of knocking off Czenzo as the Bull. I would not say the same if he was 174 while Bo Nickal was there.

Well... it is a cesspool...

And for the record, I dont see what's the big deal about Iowa fans thinking that Kem can beat Hall @pish69. I'd favor Hall based on past results but it wouldnt be that much of a shocker for Kemerer to win at Carver.
at Carver haha. Obviously not the favorite but is it really gonna shock anyone if he beats him anywhere? If so you are not paying attention or a PSU homer.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Grip220
at Carver haha. Obviously not the favorite but is it really gonna shock anyone if he beats him anywhere? If so you are not paying attention or a PSU homer.

Yeah, and Cassar can't stay on the mat with Stoll. Pay attention.

@wasdt21, you got some home grown rats too.

Edit, and btw, tinfoil hat boy, I specifically mentioned Carver because it's the first match that they'll see each other.
Tin foil hat. That is rich. everything I have ever said about PSU has pretty much turned into accepted facts by all the insiders in the nation. It has went from "no way that is going on" to of course that is going on and you are stupid not to do it. Just par for the course for a lot of programs.

Last edited:
This thread should be in a very rose colored tint.

I know this is the Iowa board but I’m shocked how many of you really believe Kem beats Hall.

Hall is..
1. Better technical wrestler
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights
2. Couldn’t take down Nolf, and Hall harder to take down
3. Coming off major injury
4. No Advantage in any of the 3 areas (top, bottom or neutral)

So besides being an Iowa fan, what would be reasons someone picking Kem over Hall? Seriously?
Because your post is heavily opinionated, and means nothing?

I didn't say 1 point matches only and I qualified it by AA level competition. 2 point matches are ALSO very close scores and that adds in Lujan, Skatzka, Labriola, Finesilver and Jordan.

Other than a late fall against Daniel Lewis and some early on domination of Skatzka before he turned it on at the end of last year, Hall hasn't really dominated any AA level competition.

Simply put, he is vulnerable. At the very least, he is much more vulnerable than the elite wrestlers that Sanderson has coached at PSU over the soon to be decade. Kemerer is a guy, IF HEALTHY, that truly has the potential to be at that level. If he stays healthy, I think you will recognize that, even with the PSU colored glasses!

This and your other post are the tits. Some people that are even-keeled about these things (not fans) are very high on Kemerer at 74. He was cutting too much to maintain 57 his sophomore year and think the weight jump will help immensely. Hall is tough for anybody...world class but I am willing to lay down a bet with the first PSU fan that wants to take it that Kemerer beats Hall at some point this year (if both stay healthy). $100 to the RTC or charity of choice?

At practice today, even my wife was surprised at how much weight/muscle he has put on. Side note: She now recognizes the starters. My work is done for now.

Whatever, deep throat.
You have a “bone” to pick somewhere with someone in real life..take care of that and shum on back. I normally like what you have to offer up even if it differs from what I imagine plausible. But hey, screw it...this is the cesspool, right?

This and your other post are the tits. Some people that are even-keeled about these things (not fans) are very high on Kemerer at 74. He was cutting too much to maintain 57 his sophomore year and think the weight jump will help immensely. Hall is tough for anybody...world class but I am willing to lay down a bet with the first PSU fan that wants to take it that Kemerer beats Hall at some point this year (if both stay healthy). $100 to the RTC or charity of choice?

At practice today, even my wife was surprised at how much weight/muscle he has put on. Side note: She now recognizes the starters. My work is done for now.

Bet

Flashing back to the thread about how Sam Brooks was a bad matchup for Bo Nickal and how Bo better not go upper body with him. I posted my opinion how it was the opposite and was called a troll and an assortment of other names. Good times!

fyi, I am already on the record that Hall is a bad matchup for Kemerer. Kem shoots too much and will get himself in trouble when the scrambling starts.

Cant wait to hear the excuses! I got $100 want some Carver Kem/Hall action I do. Buy those single match tickets pronto!

Go Hawks!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
Flashing back to the thread about how Sam Brooks was a bad matchup for Bo Nickal and how Bo better not go upper body with him. I posted my opinion how it was the opposite and was called a troll and an assortment of other names. Good times!

fyi, I am already on the record that Hall is a bad matchup for Kemerer. Kem shoots too much and will get himself in trouble when the scrambling starts.

The same match you refused to bet me posting rights on. Your adult infancy shows more and more with each post.

Chiefy

Was this a "date" with your wife? Solid and strong move.

If you had a straight up friendly conversation, I doubt many, if any, of those picking Kem to win actually consider Kem the better wrestler. But, saying it is a "dream" to think he could win is "very rose colored" as well.

1.)Hall wrestles a style that lends itself to very close scores with AA level competition. Keep wrestling close matches and all it takes is one mistake to lose. Hall has NOT proven himself infallible.

2.)Kemerer is a VERY good wrestler. Injuries and Nolf(I am sorry but there is no part of folkstyle wrestling that I consider Hall better than Nolf at) have really been the ONLY(excepting a poor decision to "palacio" with Palacio) thing holding him back and he has still finished top 4 both years he has competed in a rather deep weight class.

3.)Injury is a factor, but it isn't one you pre-season prognosticate with. Considering, unless you are a true insider, you have NO CLUE how his health is, it is only fair to pick him based on his wrestling abilities only.

4.)Strength-This is impossible to quantify as a benefit for either. Some guys can move up weights after cutting too much and become monsters. Churella did it. Luke did it. Hell Kutler did it as well. All were physical specimens jumping up 2 weights. With Kemerer's body type I would be truly surprised if lack of strength is even a slight factor.

5.) I think you are seriously devaluing Kem's mat wrestling. Do you recall a match where he was controlled on the mat or simply couldn't ride someone when he had to? Also, although I would agree, to this point, that Hall's neutral defense has proven better than Kem's neutral offense, the gap isn't that wide.

So with that said, Hall should be considered a favorite, but that gap is slight. A Kemerer win would not be more than a very mild surprise.

Now, if I had to personally pick, I would think their outcomes would be very similar to Hall vs. Amine. One point matches with Hall squeaking by each time.
This

giphy.gif

i do not think you are a troll, just an obnoxious prick

That's fair :D

The same match you refused to bet me posting rights on. Your adult infancy shows more and more with each post.

Lifetime posting ban vs you donating a few bucks, yea that was reasonable stakes, lol. I wouldn't accept a bet like that on principle alone. Aside from that, being proven right TWICE after all the name calling was worth more than any monetary win.

Last edited:
That's fair :D

Lifetime posting ban vs you donating a few bucks, yea that was reasonable stakes, lol. I wouldn't accept a bet like that on principle alone. Aside from that, being proven right TWICE after all the name calling was worth more than any monetary win.

Aaaaannnd again.... It’s beyond infantile to twist your mind to believe a PSU fans “rights” to post on an anonymous Iowa wrestling board has more monetary value than real money. Think about how ****ing juvenile that is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT