ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa announces Kirk Ferentz contract extension through 2026

Apr 8, 2003
UI EXTENDS FERENTZ CONTRACT

Iowa’s head football coach to be a Hawkeye until 2026

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa announced today a contract extension for head football coach Kirk Ferentz through the 2026 season. The announcement was made by Gary Barta, UI director of athletics. The extension was finalized and signed Tuesday.

Ferentz began his 18th season as Iowa’s head football coach Saturday when the nationally-ranked Hawkeyes defeated Miami University, 45-21. Ferentz’s previous contract extended through the 2020 season.

“I’ve said it many times, I would like Kirk to retire as a Hawkeye, and this contract is a strong statement toward that commitment,” said Barta. “Kirk’s dedication to the football program and the University of Iowa has brought national attention and recognition to the Hawkeyes for nearly 20 years.

“Kirk is one of the top coaches in country. His commitment to winning, graduating student-athletes, and doing things the right way is unmatched by any program or coach,” added Barta. “There is strong momentum surrounding the Hawkeye football program. Whether it’s on the field, recruiting, academics, facilities, or with his staff, we’re achieving at a high level today, and are well positioned for continued success for years to come.”

Ferentz is one of only two coaches in the NCAA’s Football Bowl Subdivision who has been head coach at the same school since the 1999 season, joining Iowa alumnus Bob Stoops (Oklahoma) as the longest tenured head coach in the nation. Ferentz was a Hawkeye assistant coach under Hayden Fry for nine seasons (1981-89).

“I am pleased and proud to continue as head coach of the University of Iowa football team through 2026. It is a tremendous privilege and responsibility to lead the Iowa football program,” said Ferentz. “I am extraordinarily proud of our program, our players, and our supportive fans. I appreciate the trust and confidence demonstrated by Athletic Director Gary Barta and President Bruce Harreld – and I look forward to continuing our winning tradition.

“Iowa is home to me, my wife, Mary, and our five children,” added Ferentz. “We moved a lot during the early years of coaching, but once we arrived in Iowa City - this quickly became our home. We appreciate and value what it is to be an Iowan and an Iowa Hawkeye.”

Among the Iowa football coaching staff – defensive coordinator Phil Parker and director of strength and conditioning Chris Doyle -- have been part of the program throughout Ferentz’s tenure. Defensive line coach Reese Morgan has been a member of the staff for 16 seasons.

“Kirk represents what we celebrate in our state and at our university; hard work, relentless pursuit of doing the little things right, and humbleness that allows the success of others to shine through,” said Harreld. “His and Mary’s generosity toward our community and state is remarkable, and I look forward to having him lead our program for years to come.”

Ferentz’s total annual compensation under the new agreement will be $4,500,000. Ferentz and the members of his staff will also continue to be eligible for bonuses based on performance.

Ferentz is a four-time winner of the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award, including 2015 when Iowa posted a school-record 12 wins while claiming the Big Ten’s West Division title. Ferentz was the Bobby Dodd, Eddie Robinson, and Woody Hayes national Coach of the Year last season.

Ferentz was Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2002, 2004, and 2009, was named The Associated Press National Coach of the Year in 2002 when Iowa made its first of two appearances in a Bowl Championship Series event. Ferentz holds a record of 128-87 as Iowa’s head coach and ranks seventh all-time in Big Ten coaching victories and eighth in overall wins among Big Ten Conference football coaches.

Football student-athletes under Ferentz have also performed well in the classroom. Thirteen Hawkeyes have earned Academic All-America recognition under Ferentz, including first team honors on eight occasions. Iowa players have earned Academic All-Big Ten honors on 234 occasions.

The Iowa football program annually ranks above its peers and near the top of the Big Ten Conference in the NCAA’s Graduation Success Rate (GSR) and Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores. Iowa football reported its all-time high score in the NCAA’s most recent APR report in April.

Ferentz’s 2016 Iowa squad is coming off a 12-2 season that included its first appearance in the Big Ten Championship Game and an appearance in the 2016 Rose Bowl Game, Iowa’s first trip to Pasadena in 25 years. Ferentz has led Iowa to 13 bowl appearances.

This is excellent, news. Couple more top 10 finishes and BCS bowl games in the next 10 years.....and more than likely a CFP appearance. Woot.

Last edited:
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I really hope this isn't a mistake.

I'll admit, I was among the fans calling for his head before last season. It just seems like this long of an extension handcuffs the program to him in such a way that even if he went back to the "old kirk," we would be forced to see the contact out, or pay an insane amount of money in the form of a buyout. Which would really hurt the program for a lengthy period of time.

I get it; Iowa is not a "flashy" program, and it probably never will be. It just seems like the way the world is turning and the way recruits are connecting with schools and coaches now that Iowa may need to take a more modern approach to how we do everything from running an offense (faster paced, more spread offense), to coaches connecting with recruits on twitter (maybe a more toned down version of Harbaugh) to altering uniforms to get players and recruits excited (Oregon, Baylor, TCU, etc.) I just hope that Kirk can continue to evolve the program instead of falling behind. We all know and love this program whether or not critics say it's boring football, or criticize the conservative gameplay.

Please don't read this as me saying I don't support Kirk and the program, or that I think this extension was a big mistake. It just makes me a little nervous. What if Iowa goes 8-4 and loses another bowl game this year? What if we run a conservative offense and get blown out against another spread team? I just hope that next offseason, or any of the next 5 offseasons (given this contract extension) we don't look back at this as a mistake.

I do like what this contract does for recruits looking at Iowa in the next few years, hoping we continue to surpass expectations.

GO HAWKS!

THISGONBGUD.gif

Not a fan of this.

Me either. My question is why. He wasn't going anywhere and everyone knows it. We couldn't ask for a more quality guy to be coach but it was a short time ago many were wanting him gone. They better have a better buy this time around.

Here is to hoping he keeps having success and we don't have to worry about ever getting rid of him and he goes out on his own terms as a legend.

I was hoping through like 2023ish and then hand it over to Brian who will be HC at Purdue at the time!

Good for Kirk. Does he really plan on coaching to 70?

Put me in the group who doubts he coaches till the end of this contract. However it makes sense with the world of recruiting these days having him locked in that long even though I think he retires a few years before the end of it.

Reactions: nu2u
Wut? KF deserves this. We got to smell the roses last year because of him. He does things the right way and we play sound football under him and, are a consistently a winner.

I have a ton of respect for KF, just believe this type of contract is for someone who has won more than he has. Getting to the Rose Bowl was amazing but they got their dicks kicked in. I am happy that he is our coach and I hope he earns this type of deal year after year. I also don`t believe KF has any intention of coaching that long.

Reactions: 24 so far
The crux of the new deal is the buyout, which no one knows. For anyone that is unhappy on the surface right now, would you still be unhappy if the buyout is something like 1.5 year salary?

Not saying that will be the case, but it a world where Iowa athletics has piles upon piles of cash, no one should be upset over the extension and raise, just potentially the buyout if it isn't changed.

And as others have said, I would also guess there is about a 5% chance at most he coaches through 2026.

I have a ton of respect for KF, just believe this type of contract is for someone who has won more than he has. Getting to the Rose Bowl was amazing but they got their dicks kicked in. I am happy that he is our coach and I hope he earns this type of deal year after year. I also don`t believe KF has any intention of coaching that long.
If stanford doesnt have christian mccaferry that game is a lot closer. He's prolly gonna win the heisman this year. Dont feel bad about that game. Iowa just needed a little wake up call, smell the salts if you will.

You do this so teams cant play the "He is leaving card" in recruiting. I am sure he has some idea when he is going, but they certainly won't make that public to be used against them.

Agree JR. Kirk and the Mrs. probably have a plan, give or take a year. They have no obligation to share it with the public.

Reactions: Lance Funsten
I don't know the terms of the deal, but I'm surprised he wanted to be locked in for 10 years. What if he puts together a string of 10-2 seasons or better? Are incentives involved? I would hope so. At this stage in his career job security shouldn't be a huge motivator. He could retire tomorrow and live a wealthy lifestyle anywhere on the planet.

The crux of the new deal is the buyout, which no one knows. For anyone that is unhappy on the surface right now, would you still be unhappy if the buyout is something like 1.5 year salary?

Not saying that will be the case, but it a world where Iowa athletics has piles upon piles of cash, no one should be upset over the extension and raise, just potentially the buyout if it isn't changed.

And as others have said, I would also guess there is about a 5% chance at most he coaches through 2026.

Unless the buyout is infinity it doesn't matter. If the administration wants him out they will have it.

This is excellent, news. Couple more top 10 finishes and BCS bowl games in the next 10 years.....and more than likely a CFP appearance. Woot.
Link to where you bought what you're smoking? I would like to buy a lot of it. I'm not by any means calling you crazy, I just really want some!

I don't know the terms of the deal, but I'm surprised he wanted to be locked in for 10 years. What if he puts together a string of 10-2 seasons or better? Are incentives involved? I would hope so. At this stage in his career job security shouldn't be a huge motivator. He could retire tomorrow and live a wealthy lifestyle anywhere on the planet.

As JR said, it's about recruiting. With more and more kids committing before their senior HS year. That's six years you have them under your umbrella. Now Kirk and the assistant coaches can go into those living rooms and tell parents no worries were gonna be here the entire time your child is a student at Iowa.

As others have said, this all depends on the buyout. If it is a small/reasonable buyout, then I'm happy with the extension. If it is like the current buyout but extended out to 2025, I would really question Barta's thinking.

Reactions: Pepperman
You do this so teams cant play the "He is leaving card" in recruiting. I am sure he has some idea when he is going, but they certainly won't make that public to be used against them.

This is true. IMHO, he was already a year past-due for a 1-2 year roll-over. Even with all his time here, you have to have a contract that extends past the careers of the kids you're recruiting. This extension basically signals that, barring collapse or scandal, he's going to retire on his terms. I think he's earned that. He's a proud guy and isn't going to want to limp to the finish -- see "New Kirk 3.0". If he was mailing it in, we wouldn't have had last season. I also thought he looked Saturday like he'd lost weight. Looked younger and more energetic than he has the past few years.

Coach Kirk is worth $4.5 million per year. He runs a
clean and honest program and still wins. I hope that
he enjoys good health and good recruiting. His assistant
coaches are extremely loyal to him. This also helps
give the Hawkeye football program some stability.

Reactions: Ree4
One of the least surprising announcements ever. Anyone who follows Iowa football knew that last year locked in KF as coach as Iowa for as long as he wants.
Highly unlikely at 61 that he takes on another coaching job elsewhere.
Also highly unlikely that he coaches to the end of this contract.

I'm not really opposed to the deal, nor particularly enthusiastic about it. I do hope there is a lot of thought being put into a transition plan should on field performance start to slide and/or KF decides he's had enough.

Coach Kirk is worth $4.5 million per year. He runs a
clean and honest program and still wins. I hope that
he enjoys good health and good recruiting. His assistant
coaches are extremely loyal to him. This also helps
give the Hawkeye football program some stability.
Well said Lute. Do you plan on making it to any games this year?

I am definitely not a fan of this new extension for KF. He was one bad season away from being fired in 2014 and now he is the greatest coach ever at Iowa (referring to the x's and o's not the off field administration)? BIg mistake IMO. BTW, if you have not noticed KF coaching is always about 5+ years behind the rest of the NCAA. And now, even the NFL is a passing league.

I'm a bit stunned by the length but my happiness with this new deal will be directly dependent on whether the "new" Kirk is at the helm or the "old" Kirk reappears. I must say I have no interest in seeing another Ferentz take over after Kirk does retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
I am definitely not a fan of this new extension for KF. He was one bad season away from being fired in 2014 and now he is the greatest coach ever at Iowa (referring to the x's and o's not the off field administration)? BIg mistake IMO. BTW, if you have not noticed KF coaching is always about 5+ years behind the rest of the NCAA. And now, even the NFL is a passing league.

The only way this is a mistake is if the buyout remains the same. Unless you believe we shouldn't be paying him $4.5M a year, he will be hear for 10 more years, OR that we should hire a young, top flight coach that will stay at Iowa for 20 years.

Whatever dude. You don't like it then don't post here.

Count me as not liking this much. I think the timing is terrible, right before the ISU game, not good. I think the stability and patience that Iowa Football has shown to it's coaches is more than commendable but I am not a fan of such a long extension for anyone.

Things many Iowa fans refuse to figure out:

1. KF was never close to being fired - his buyout didn't matter.
2. KF is able to retire whenever he wants, he is not required to coach to the end of the contract. Again, buyout hardly matters.
3. There is no goddamn succession plan for BF.

I was thinking about this yesterday with the upcoming game between Tennessee and Va Tech at Bristol Speedway next weekend. Frank Beamer was a long tenured coach at Va Tech and it would have been cool to see Iowa and VT play in an early season opener in the last few years, pitting two of the longest tenured coaches in the country against each other.

Too late for that. Maybe what we need to do is dump the Clown game next season and set up an early season showdown with Oklahoma at Arrowhead in KC. Awesome storylines surrounding that game. Although I had hear Bob Stoops would prefer to not schedule against Iowa if he could help it.

There are a lot of good candidates post KF. I agree there is no succession plan. BF would have to be a coordinator first. Kerry Cooks, Jerry Montgomery, Bobby Diaco come to mind...others may appear in the coming years as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT