ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City Police officer on camera hitting handcuffed woman

Excusing bad behavior won't improve anything.

Improving situations like this begin and end with the young lady, her decisions, and her actions.

Excusing her behavior won’t improve anything.

No one has the right to being drunk in public and fighting with cops. Sometimes, how they get someones uncooperative ass to jail comes with bumps and bruises.

Make better choices.

She wasn't in control of herself or her decisions at that point. She has a significant substance abuse problem, and using cops in that situation will get you exactly what we saw.
This is a perfect example of where a community service/substance abuse professional could have, and should have, been on site to de-escalate the situation and get her the help she needs.

Or, just smack her around a bit, arrest her, and then do it again next weekend.

She wasn't in control of herself or her decisions at that point. She has a significant substance abuse problem, and using cops in that situation will get you exactly what we saw.
This is a perfect example of where a community service/substance abuse professional could have, and should have, been on site to de-escalate the situation and get her the help she needs.

Excusing her behavior won’t improve anything. There is 0% chance she hasn’t been told not to drink alcohol and to seek substance abuse / alcohol abuse treatment. She is obviously refusing. Sometimes blaming everyone but the person involved doesn’t actually help them, but in fact hurts them.

Excusing her behavior won’t improve anything. There is 0% chance she hasn’t been told not to drink alcohol and to seek substance abuse / alcohol abuse treatment. She is obviously refusing. Sometimes blaming everyone but the person involved doesn’t actually help them, but in fact hurts them.

No one is excusing her behavior. And, then you just made up a story about what you imagined has happened.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
There was a very popular player that was definitely on steroids, acted like he owned the place (because the owner basically let him do what he wanted) and would get VERY drunk at the establishment I worked. He was an absolute handful the couple times I saw him removed. They didn't pay me enough to come out from behind the bar to help with that situation. My parents paid a lot for these teeth to get straightened out.
Greg Helmers tried to choke me out when he was a bouncer at either the field house or Union. Made fun of him for how bad he sucked after he called me short (played him in high school and he was average at best against decent competition-how he got a scholarship i have no idea... and Antonio Ramos is another one. I blame Lehman for trying to recruit for Tom and then blaming it on others). Working at the athletic department and befriending Hand, Fullerton, Eustice, didn't work out well for him.

Add that to the list of mistakes made.
You're really trying too hard, pine. I know the ICPD "wronged" you or one of your family/ friends but just stop. You sit in the stands with one of ICs best and you still take this stance or did you two fall out?

You're really trying too hard, pine. I know the ICPD "wronged" you or one of your family/ friends but just stop. You sit in the stands with one of ICs best and you still take this stance or did you two fall out?
I personally know, like, and respect many police officers. Including him. And, I don't believe he would have ever behaved like we saw in that video. That, in part, is why he is where he is today.
I don't like when officers exploit their positions of power, and have zero accountability when they make mistakes.
Good officers would agree with that position.

So we need mental health professional/substance abuse councilors on staff of every town in America on call at 1:00 a.m? That's not happening.

She got herself in this situation and she needs to make the decision to get healthy. According to posts on reddit she has left rehab twice. Having dealt with a family member who has been through the same sh1t I get a bit tired of the poor me, I'm a victim bullshit. There are resources out there to assist if the individual really wants to get sober. Yes it's hard and yes I feel for them, but blaming others is bullshit. It's not the cops fault they had to go to these lengths to subdue her, it's hers. "When has this ever worked before, Daria?"

It's the officer's job to protect the community and that's what they did by getting her off the streets; she was clearly a danger to others and herself.

You then defend joy kelly then in standing up for her "victim" (i.e., perp that wasnt convicted because not enough evidence...) that was allowed to stay in society and couldn't be prosecuted because he was an innocent victim of society? Wow you are a hypocrit to what ever fits you and your family's narrative in iowa city.

So we need mental health professional/substance abuse councilors on staff of every town in America on call at 1:00 a.m? That's not happening.

She got herself in this situation and she needs to make the decision to get healthy. According to posts on reddit she has left rehab twice. Having dealt with a family member who has been through the same sh1t I get a bit tired of the poor me, I'm a victim bullshit. There are resources out there to assist if the individual really wants to get sober. Yes it's hard and yes I feel for them, but blaming others is bullshit. It's not the cops fault they had to go to these lengths to subdue her, it's hers. "When has this ever worked before, Daria?"

It's the officer's job to protect the community and that's what they did by getting her off the streets; she was clearly a danger to others and herself.

Yes, replace/repurpose some police to serve in this kind of community support/councilor role.
Do you want to address the root of the problem? Or, just have the police have to deal with it from her every weekend?
The right way to address situations like these is to attempt to prevent them. Instead of just continuing to hit the nail with a hammer and wondering why nothing is changing.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
You then defend joy kelly then in standing up for her "victim" (i.e., perp that wasnt convicted because not enough evidence...) that was allowed to stay in society and couldn't be prosecuted because he was an innocent victim of society? Wow you are a hypocrit to what ever fits you and your family's narrative in iowa city.
I've never defended joy kelly, not sure where you got that. I'd prefer she move along.

I personally know, like, and respect many police officers. Including him. And, I don't believe he would have ever behaved like we saw in that video. That, in part, is why he is where he is today.
I don't like when officers exploit their positions of power, and have zero accountability when they make mistakes.
Good officers don't believe in your unequivocal stance about law enforcement that you've repeatedly shown over and over again here. You have your mind made up on everything over the years before an investigation is even made. Your posts prove it out. That's why I asked who touched you in a bad place and you never responded. Carry on in your crusade to take down all those that wronged your family and you years ago.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
It's a discussion board. For discussing things. You should try to relax a bit.

Yes, replace/repurpose some police to serve in this kind of community support/councilor role.
Do you want to address the root of the problem? Or, just have the police have to deal with it from her every weekend?
The right way to address situations like these is to attempt to prevent them. Instead of just continuing to hit the nail with a hammer and wondering why nothing is changing.
Not sure your experience with addiction but the best councilor in the world isn't getting someone to quit unless that individual wants to stop.

This girl wasn't leaving without a fight.

Last edited:

I’m with you on masks. But this is unicorn fantasy level shit right here.

My guess is most officers disagree with your stance in this particular instance. You're just too stubborn to admit it.

My guess is most officers disagree with your stance in this particular instance. You're just too stubborn to admit it.
He'll keep doubling down. He's the Joe of whatever side he chooses but will never look in the mirror. I've seen it firsthand.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk

This is stupid. Having a wife that’s a social worker, you know what the first thing she does if she has a potential encounter with a violent intoxicated person? Call the cops. This fantasy of having social workers/counselors deal with this is just that, a fantasy.

If there was ever a situation where mental health professionals should have been engaged (and long before this arrest) this was it. We are a f'd up society. If folks can't agree with that, then they are f'd up as well. Having said that, no issues with the police action here unless more evidence comes out. I felt sorry for the woman at the beginning of the video based on her obvious mental issues, felt for the law enforcement dealing with this knowing they were in for a perception challenge at one point, felt bad for our society at the end of it.
It seems like the first two officers were doing a pretty good job of getting her to calm down. Things seemed to escalate again when the new officer arrived and took over.

I would pay good money to watch a counselor attempt to de-escalate that situation. Lololol.

Yes, she needs some sort of help, no one was going to be able to control her that short of force and restraint.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
It seems like the first two officers were doing a pretty good job of getting her to calm down. Things seemed to escalate again when the new officer arrived and took over.
That wasn't because of anything officer 3 did, that was because she didn’t want to get arrested, taken for a ride in the back of the paddy wagon.

Hmmm…man, that’s trying to kickstart a near dead brain cell to come up with his name. But yeah, Mebus or something like it sounds awfully familiar. Those two ruled the cobbled streets with an iron fist!

Edit to add: Was it Mobley?
I know there was a red headed cop with glasses with the name Mebus. He came and talked to bar employees one day to give us the police expectations of how we handled various situations.

Reactions: lucas80

God I hate agreeing with doug.

He'll keep doubling down. He's the Joe of whatever side he chooses but will never look in the mirror. I've seen it firsthand.
Not trying to beat you up. Have enjoyed your company firsthand. You just seem to have a weird sword to die on when it comes to law enforcement. We are all good. Let's hit up Blackstone or Shakespeare's?

I know there was a red headed cop with glasses with the name Mebus. He came and talked to bar employees one day to give us the police expectations of how we handled various situations.
I went through a half day of training with Al Mebus one day, too.

Not sure your experience with addiction but the best councilor in the world isn't getting someone to quit unless that individual wants to stop.

This girl wasn't leaving without a fight.
She cannot be far from it, but I guess she hasn't hit bottom, yet. She needs to figure it out soon, though. She's gonna die from an OD, alcohol poisoning, choking on her own vomit, or in a fiery car crash while drunked up. Hopefully she doesn't take anyone else out.

Not trying to beat you up. Have enjoyed your company firsthand. You just seem to have a weird sword to die on when it comes to law enforcement. We are all good. Let's hit up Blackstone or Shakespeare's?
Never a bad choice for you two. Let me know so I can step in between in you two clash.

Never a bad choice for you two. Let me know so I can step in between in you two clash.
Lol... haven't been in a fight since college. I'm honestly just curious about the LE hate. I know you both and think you are good guys. We can take it offline to have a true convo. I probably called pine out more than I should but he made the broad statements about LE years ago and has never backed down. Someone obviously triggered him. He won't say why, which is cool but as adamant as he is I would think he'd have something to back it up.

Lol... haven't been in a fight since college. I'm honestly just curious about the LE hate. I know you both and think you are good guys. We can take it offline to have a true convo. I probably called pine out more than I should but he made the broad statements about LE years ago and has never backed down. Someone obviously triggered him. He won't say why, which is cool but as adamant as he is I would think he'd have something to back it up.
Would hope so and have to agree. The one you sit with is one of the finest as well. Have had a cold beverage or two with him and some good Leo conversations.

Reactions: JMSBFD
Would hope so and have to agree. The one you sit with is one of the finest as well. Have had a cold beverage or two with him and some good Leo conversations.
Not sure I get the "one you sit with is one of the finest as well" comment but I'd certainly enjoy a beverage with you both some time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT