ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City Police officer on camera hitting handcuffed woman

She couldn’t see what she was grabbing. Her face had just been pepper sprayed and she was facing away from the officer towards the seat.
She didn’t seem to react to the pepper spray in any way. Not sure the pepper spray hit the mark. Watched the bar video and went ‘uggghh’ watched the entire released video and changed my opinion. Grab the tazer, May get thumped.

First, there are no winners in this. Second, this girl plainly needs counseling and help with substance abuse or she will die. Third, it's not good optics for the police. She weighs all of a 100 pounds. My guess is she doesn't know the front or backend of a Taser. I still think excessive force was used but it is what society is these days. In most jurisdictions, wearing a badge gives you wiggle room for abuse. Cell phones and body cams (when they are umm "on" or not "malfunctioning") have tempered this somewhat but until the incel that is the collaboration between the prosecuting attorneys and police stop, this crap will continue unabated. This type of force usage isn't limited to the US. These things happen abroad also and there are well documented cases in India and Australia. Sad for the girl, pathetic for the cop who wants to be a real man.

Last edited:
She’s lucky she didn’t receive worse treatment. Her worst injuries were likely self inflicted. I thought the officers showed exceptional restraint in dealing with her. And to those who question why it required so much effort to get her in the car, you’ve clearly never dealt with a cat who doesn’t want to go to the vet’s office.

First, there are no winners in this. Second, this girl plainly needs counseling and help with substance abuse or she will die. Third, it's not good optics for the police. She weighs all of a 100 pounds. My guess is she doesn't know the front or backend of a Taser. I still think excessive force was used but it is what society is these days. In most jurisdictions, wearing a badge gives you wiggle room for abuse. Cell phones and body cams (when they are umm "on" or not "malfunctioning") have tempered this somewhat but until the incel that is the collaboration between the prosecuting attorneys and police stop, this crap will continue unabated. This type of force usage isn't limited to the US. These things happen abroad also and there are well documented cases in India and Australia. Sad for the girl, pathetic for the cop who wants to be a real man.

I don't disagree with everything you posted here.

I would not however use this video as evidence to try and make these points.

I don't disagree with everything you posted here.

I would not however use this video as evidence to try and make these points.
There's lots of other inside evidence that I have, not on this case, which is credible (and which I cannot post), that would make you cringe. Oddly enough, my former neighbor, now passed, was a ICPD officer and in essence, my second dad. I had asked him once, in his nearly 30 years of service, how many times he had either used force or deployed his weapon. His answer was once. You can argue that Iowa City was different from 1970 to 1997 but I would also say that cops were held to a higher standard. The training that is done now is insufficient to deal with stressful situations, not to mention that due to shortages, pretty much anyone can apply to be a police officer even if they are mentally unfit.

She’s lucky she didn’t receive worse treatment. Her worst injuries were likely self inflicted. I thought the officers showed exceptional restraint in dealing with her. And to those who question why it required so much effort to get her in the car, you’ve clearly never dealt with a cat who doesn’t want to go to the vet’s office.

LOL! I thought the same thing.

I was a bartender at a meat market bar at Iowa - had to occasionally help the bounce staff remove people. I think people underestimate how hard it can be to restrain and remove a completely out of control person (man or woman). Granted, we didn't have police level training and it was mostly a brute force thing - but out of control, flailing, kicking, and swinging angry drunks are extremely dangerous and strong. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

There's lots of other inside evidence that I have, not on this case, which is credible (and which I cannot post), that would make you cringe. Oddly enough, my former neighbor, now passed, was a ICPD officer and in essence, my second dad. I had asked him once, in his nearly 30 years of service, how many times he had either used force or deployed his weapon. His answer was once. You can argue that Iowa City was different from 1970 to 1997 but I would also say that cops were held to a higher standard. The training that is done now is insufficient to deal with stressful situations, not to mention that due to shortages, pretty much anyone can apply to be a police officer even if they are mentally unfit.

Sure, there are countless examples over time. Hell, I was at Iowa while Sid Jackson was cleaning up the mean streets of the ped mall.

Just saying, this situation would not be an example I'd hold up to make my points for IC policing reform.

Edit to add: Man, what a legend old Sid was. Here's my favorite quote about him from the article in the DI after he got canned for OWI. 14 years before his first promotion...but then demoted. Guy loved cracking skulls on College St. though!

"Jackson had been with Iowa City police since 1982, and he received his first promotion in 1996. He was a lieutenant in the investigations unit, though he was later demoted to sergeant. Hargadine declined to comment on the reason.

Until his resignation, Jackson was one of two officers assigned to late-night patrol."

Last edited:
Reactions: IACub and GOHOX69
Sure, there are countless examples over time. Hell, I was at Iowa while Sid Jackson was cleaning up the mean streets of the ped mall.

Just saying, this situation would not be an example I'd hold up to make my points for IC policing reform.

Edit to add: Man, what a legend old Sid was. Here's my favorite quote about him from the article in the DI after he got canned for OWI. 14 years before his first promotion...but then demoted. Guy loved cracking skulls on College St. though!

"Jackson had been with Iowa City police since 1982, and he received his first promotion in 1996. He was a lieutenant in the investigations unit, though he was later demoted to sergeant. Hargadine declined to comment on the reason.

Until his resignation, Jackson was one of two officers assigned to late-night patrol."
You and I must be of a similar age haha. Thankfully, no bouncer tossed me out.

Reactions: Hawki97
ill_allow_it_community.gif

Go to the ten minute mark of this video. You see her right arm / hand grasping for his belt and whatever is on it (e.g. taser, gun, etc.). Hell, the restraints are so loose she gets her hands out in front of her when she goes in the car the first time. This isn't some cuffed up tight behind the back situation. She reaches fully behind her and gets hold of his belt and then he says "Let go of me, let go of me!" She doesn't, he smacks her in the back four times and she lets go. If anything, they need to consider tighter restraints that allow less movement...but then inevitably somebody would complain because they got hurt from too tight of restraints.

I've got very little love for the ICPD but they showed a lot of restraint with this psycho. She deserves whatever is coming to her.

Absolutely correct! ^^

Sid was a force to be reckoned with back in my college days. Everyone knew who he was and you didn't mess around when he showed up. Met him years later and became friends. Really like the guy.

Sid was a force to be reckoned with back in my college days. Everyone knew who he was and you didn't mess around when he showed up. Met him years later and became friends. Really like the guy.

Well, tell him he didn't get everybody. I on foot out-ran / out-hid his ass one night a long time ago and kept my collegiate alcohol record squeaky clean. Suck on that one Sid!

What is he doing these days?

LOL! I thought the same thing.

I was a bartender at a meat market bar at Iowa - had to occasionally help the bounce staff remove people. I think people underestimate how hard it can be to restrain and remove a completely out of control person (man or woman). Granted, we didn't have police level training and it was mostly a brute force thing - but out of control, flailing, kicking, and swinging angry drunks are extremely dangerous and strong. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.
Stuff that you think is funny as a drunk may not be to the sober bouncer. Working at one of those bars taught me that. Enjoyed the 150 pound guy who became tough when I stepped between him and the NFL d lineman. Peanut crew while carrying the guy out ‘why are you throwing the little guy out’ ‘perhaps because he grabbed the big guys girlfriends a**?’
I look forward to the op sharing their ‘inside information’ when it actually is relevant to the thread.

Cops having trouble with a 100 lb female... imagine a 240 lb football player?

There was a very popular player that was definitely on steroids, acted like he owned the place (because the owner basically let him do what he wanted) and would get VERY drunk at the establishment I worked. He was an absolute handful the couple times I saw him removed. They didn't pay me enough to come out from behind the bar to help with that situation. My parents paid a lot for these teeth to get straightened out.

There was a very popular player that was definitely on steroids, acted like he owned the place (because the owner basically let him do what he wanted) and would get VERY drunk at the establishment I worked. He was an absolute handful the couple times I saw him removed. They didn't pay me enough to come out from behind the bar to help with that situation. My parents paid a lot for these teeth to get straightened out.
A guy cold cocked a guy at Martini's once. I saw his molar fly by me. I could see the roots on the tooth. It was the coolest thing ever.

She now faces several charges including assaulting an officer. Court records show Brown has a history of fighting with police.

In 2018 she pleaded guilty to interference with official acts for resisting arrest and hitting a squad car. Later that year, she assaulted a staff member at Mercy Iowa City and resisted arrest, pleading guilty again to interference with official acts.

In 2019, she pleaded guilty to OWI and interference with official acts for refusing police commands and needing to be pulled from the vehicle.

Then this past March, she was charged with assault for allegedly trying to bite a security guard at UIHC and punching a staff member before she had to be sedated. A hearing in that case is set for July.
Something damaged this girl somewhere if she can’t stop doing this to herself.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Other than the prosthetic leg it also looks like she's missing her thumb. Maybe she was in a severe accident or something that caused her to go off the rails. Either way she needs to get sober and clean up her act. Yikes.

Was Mebus the other one? I wasn’t a big fan of him.

Other than the prosthetic leg it also looks like she's missing her thumb. Maybe she was in a severe accident or something that caused her to go off the rails. Either way she needs to get sober and clean up her act. Yikes.
Is that what that was? I was wondering about that!

She definitely has some real issues!

Was Mebus the other one? I wasn’t a big fan of him.

Hmmm…man, that’s trying to kickstart a near dead brain cell to come up with his name. But yeah, Mebus or something like it sounds awfully familiar. Those two ruled the cobbled streets with an iron fist!

Edit to add: Was it Mobley?

Last edited:
I am not sure this is healthy, but the prosthetic leg angle make me want to wood more.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
If there was ever a situation where mental health professionals should have been engaged (and long before this arrest) this was it. We are a f'd up society. If folks can't agree with that, then they are f'd up as well. Having said that, no issues with the police action here unless more evidence comes out. I felt sorry for the woman at the beginning of the video based on her obvious mental issues, felt for the law enforcement dealing with this knowing they were in for a perception challenge at one point, felt bad for our society at the end of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT