ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Defense is #4 in Country in Stop Rate; #9 in 3 and Out Rate (PSU is #2 & #3)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Wisky is #1 & #2.

Click on image for larger view

EGcG8M-WkAEluEX

The above chart came from this tweet:

Fingers crossed for another 6-4 classic.
We might be looking at another defensive slug fest.

If I were PSU, I would take the ball 1st and try to score right away. It seems like it takes the Iowa D a couple possessions to get comfortable before they start tightening the screws.

what worries me is that PSU's D looks better than Michigan's.....:(
Not me in that respect. The 3 factors for this game that give me hope are that 1) this game is in Kinnick, 2) Iowa's offense (and Oline) got embarrassed at MI (and will be fuming in this game), and 3) Barkley and McSorely are gone. I give Iowa a puncher's chance in this game.

Not me in that respect. The 3 factors for this game that give me hope are that 1) this game is in Kinnick, 2) Iowa's offense (and Oline) got embarrassed at MI (and will be fuming in this game), and 3) Barkley and McSorely are gone. I give Iowa a puncher's chance in this game.
I think we have a shot, but we are going to have to put the ball into the endzone. Field goals will not get it done this week. Someone has to step up at the tight end position.

Reactions: Franisdaman
defense deserves better than this offense
i honestly thought the offense was going to be good this year; 3 year starter at QB; experience at WR and RB; 2 Left tackles who will be playing on Sunday; for whatever reason, the offense has struggled against good defenses (on the road). Will PSU and Wisky be more of the same?

PSU has a very good defense. They average 5 sacks/game.

Watch this. Penn State is that good.

Really hoping our OL learns from last week, Alaric’s rust was beaten off with a rough game and they come into the game and control the line of scrimmage. We’ve got the RB’s to move the ball. Also need Stanley to have a much better game but I think that comes with better overall protection and playing at home.

Penn State doesn't blitz nearly as much as Michigan so that might help. Then again, their coaches might have watched the Michigan film so, um, yeah.

With each passing year, this is going to be more and more of Kirk's legacy. As fans look back they're going to say "Well, Kirk Ferentz sure was a good coach, but you know we don't give Norm and Phil enough credit - their defenses really made him look better than he was"

How sure are you that it’s Norm and Phil, and not Kirk...?

How sure are you that it’s Norm and Phil, and not Kirk...?

50% and I am completely serious with that answer.

I know 100% that KF is in charge of the team. Leaving special teams out of it, he has an offense and a defense, and coordinators that are 100% responsible for their own units. So maybe KF is a defensive genius but then by default he's got deficiencies in his offense.

You've got a good question because many people say KF doesn't allow the OC to have full autonomy over the offense, so why would anything be different on the defensive side of the ball?

They dont blitz as much, and still are #1 in sacks per game. C'mon o-line, nut up.
In most instances Iowa's problem when they can't protect is not knowing who is coming. It's less often guys getting physically beat. Last week this was almost entirely the case. Iowa would often have multiple guys blocking someone and leaving somebody else completely free.
PSU could certainly try to imitate what Michigan does but that isn't always a good idea. They already have an identity, and scheme that they are good at. Trying to imitate Michigan might disrupt that. Given how effective they have been this year it seems risky to alter your game plan against a pretty mediocre Iowa offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT