ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Defensive backfield...

MitchLL

HR Legend
Dec 26, 2018
I know Iowa won, and I know it's picking nits............ but there were more mental and physical mistakes than almost any game in recent memory. From missed/poor coverage to penalties to dropped interceptions to knowing game situations.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Just goes to show that passing yards doesn’t mean s**t. In the spirit of your post, yes a little concerning but we’ve got some injuries back there.

Reactions: papabeef
I know Iowa won, and I know it's picking nits............ but there were more mental and physical mistakes than almost any game in recent memory. From missed/poor coverage to penalties to dropped interceptions to knowing game situations.:rolleyes:
It’s the bend but don’t break mentality. They played better I thought for being really young.

We got lit up tonight in the passing game. Gave up way too many yards. We have to get better with our zone scheme which is way to soft. I realize we are a little young in a few spots and how Koener couldn't make that interception is beyond me.

It’s the bend but don’t break mentality. They played better I thought for being really young.
The "mental" part is what was so bad today. Late hit by Belton, the interception rather than knocking the ball down(risk after rolling over of dual possession), #28 biting on play action on first Minny TD, and seldom looking back for the ball.

Those are mental, not physical and have nothing to do with "bend, but don't break".

Reactions: MadDogC
They played a really good receiver corps and a scheme that makes it tough to rush the passer and tough to stay disciplined because you have to respect the RPO.

We held them to the fewest points they've scored since Ohio St. last year. It was a good performance, overall.
Except Iowa seldom blitzed, so the linebackers should have primary responsibility for the RPO.

We got lit up tonight in the passing game. Gave up way too many yards. We have to get better with our zone scheme which is way to soft. I realize we are a little young in a few spots and how Koener couldn't make that interception is beyond me.

it was a horrible drop, but I just think he couldn’t read that the ball was tailing away like a curveball and he thought he had it. IDK.

It was a horrible drop, but I just think he couldn’t read that the ball was tailing away like a curveball and he thought he had it. IDK.

They played a really good receiver corps and a scheme that makes it tough to rush the passer and tough to stay disciplined because you have to respect the RPO.

We held them to the fewest points they've scored since Ohio St. last year. It was a good performance, overall.
This. Their averaging 40 pts per game, second only to OSU, and we held them to 19 pts, and yet the bitching. No surprise here I guess....:confused:

This. Their averaging 40 pts per game, second only to OSU, and we held them to 19 pts, and yet the bitching. No surprise here I guess....:confused:
And yet......... if Iowa would have lost, they would have been the primary reason. They teach guys to look back and find the ball in middle school.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
I didn't say it doesn't happen elsewhere. But It's still a mental mistake.
Agreed, I'm just saying you can coach this till your blue, and sometimes they just screw the pooch, even when their in position. Moss in particular usually seems to be in the right place, often he just needs to turn and play the ball, like he did on the interception.

And we did it without our best CB. Ojemudia missed the game. It really was a good performance.

If you'd asked me pre-game, I'd have told you there was no way they score more than 24 against us. But, if you'd told me Ojemudia was out, given what I've heard of their WR corps, I'd have upped that number to 31 - which actually says a lot for my opinion of our CB depth - they are also good. I'd basically have guessed we got beat one more time than with OJ.

Reactions: owenhawk
Agreed, I'm just saying you can coach this till your blue, and sometimes they just screw the pooch, even when their in position. Moss in particular usually seems to be in the right place, often he just needs to turn and play the ball, like he did on the interception.

I agree. Moss is rarely out of position. Doesn’t always make the play but he rarely really gets flat out beat.

I didn't say it doesn't happen elsewhere. But It's still a mental mistake.

Hawkeyes won. That’s what matters. Defense is good. Koerner is a stud. Iowa legit top 20. Enjoy t

wow. Enjoy the win over a top 10 team. You’re complaining about penalties?! The Hawkeyes had 3 penalties for 16 yards.

We need to get better and will,,but this was not a good matchup for us, nor has it been for too many teams in the big Ten...There receivers and QB are reallllllly good.

People complaining about Iowa's defense just don't know football. I don't know what else to say. Minnesota's offense has been ripping everyone, including Penn State, which has been quite a bit better on defense than Iowa this year.

Iowa's pass defense under Parker has been top 20 in pass efficiency defense each of the last several years. Coming into today, Iowa was right there at 16 in the country in pass efficiency defense. Probably dropped a few places today.

As others have said, Minnesota is really difficult to defend. No one else has held them to 19. They have 2 great receivers and an accurate QB. The d-line and Welch rose to the occasion for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT