ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has contacted 6’10” Osun Osunniyi. He's a 2X Defensive Player of the Year in the A-10

And football hasn't been competitive for years. The clones had a 5 year stretch at the end of Fry and the beginning of Ferentz. Including those 5 wins, Iowa has 28 wins to the clones 10 since 1983, and they won the last 6. That IS dominance. No other way to state it.

The games have been competitive for the most part under Campbell, but the series has not been really since it resumed in the 70s. Iowa has won basically 75% of the games which is very lopsided. Nothing to argue with there.

Interesting thought. Iowa is coming off one of their best seasons in over 20 years, while IA State was a flash in the pan, finishing lower in the rankings and having to literally scrape together a team yet again. They might be able to get by a few years like this but it's not a long term solution. Your days are numbered, clone.
Please stop embarrassing yourself and other Iowa fans. People on this board would be doing backflips if we made a Sweet 16 like Iowa State just did.

Since the series resumed in 1970 it's 29-24 Iowa. It's a pretty even series honestly and it's been a good series of games for the most part.

TJ has been the coach at ISU for one year. We'll see if that game last year is a blip or a start of a trend. Also important to note is that outside of Iowa winning 5 in a row from 78-83 nobody has won more than 3 in a row since 1970. Nobody is going on these big, long, dominating winning streaks.
Too sensible of a post for this board.

The games have been competitive for the most part under Campbell, but the series has not been really since it resumed in the 70s. Iowa has won basically 75% of the games which is very lopsided. Nothing to argue with there.
Correct. For most of the ‘80s and ‘90s, it wasn’t competitive. I was a senior in high school when Iowa State finally beat Iowa Hayden’s final year. It was quite a shock to everyone.

Even though Iowa has won the majority of head-to-head since the State streak ended in 2003, the games themselves have been mostly competitive with the obvious exceptions of ‘09, ‘10, and ‘16.

The games have been within 2 tds for the most part but the series has been lopsided for Iowa. And the blowouts (there have been blowouts) have been Iowa over clones.

Reactions: perryhawk
You said ISU was a flash in the pan, implying it's going to be a one year thing, and that it's not a "long term solution". You literally have no idea if that is the case or not, or what the long term plan is for the ISU staff. To be honest I would have liked to finish in the rankings but ultimately the goal is to get to and win in the NCAA tournament and they did that amazingly well this year.

You thought ISU would be lucky to win 10 games, so I think you could say TJ has done an incredible job so far.

I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding the Luck stat from KenPom. It doesn't measure "luck" as we traditionally think of it. It's just a measure of how much wins each program got versus how many wins they were projected to get based on his algorithm.
Nothing I said in the post you quoted was wrong. The clones were going the wrong way, looked disjointed, and showed no signs of winning more than 10 games before the season started. You predicted 10 wins, right?

As far as luck, the clones were lucky, especially in their NCAA tourney draw. Getting a higher ranked team who just fired their coach in the first game then a team with an injured star in the second was lucky. As far as KenPom, yes, it is statistically calculated. But it is valid nonetheless.

Correct. For most of the ‘80s and ‘90s, it wasn’t competitive. I was a senior in high school when Iowa State finally beat Iowa Hayden’s final year. It was quite a shock to everyone.

Even though Iowa has won the majority of head-to-head since the State streak ended in 2003, the games themselves have been mostly competitive with the obvious exceptions of ‘09, ‘10, and ‘16.
Last year wasn’t competitive. The fans left in droves at the end of the 3rd Q.

What is your assessment of ISU's basketball roster, this year v last year? I know you guys have added some good pieces and lost the stud PG.....so, how many new guys at what positions and how many experienced guys at what positions?

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
What is your assessment of ISU's basketball roster, this year v last year? I know you guys have added some good pieces and lost the stud PG.....so, how many new guys at what positions and how many experienced guys at what positions?

PG - Downgrade, lost the best PG in the portal.
SG - No change (pending AJ Green's commitment)
G - No Change, Kalscheur/Grill return
PF - Upgrade, Enaruna transfered down a level to Cleveland St. Added Tre King
F/C - Upgrade, last years centers were not P6 players. Added Osunniyi

Last edited:

Depends on Green. Everything depends on that but he could easily go to Duke, so the final evaluation is out until then. For the sake of the exercise though let's add him.

PG: Upgrade, Green will be better than Hunter was last year.
SG: Same guy.
SF: Downgrade, Brockington was 1st team all Big 12 last year.
PF: Upgrade, Kunc got better throughout the year and the other options here will be better
C: Huge upgrade

Ultimately I think they'll be around a 30-35 range in the metrics and should make the tourney again assuming they add Green. Without him it gets a lot tougher.

Word in Cedar Falls is the scouts told him he needs to prove himself off the ball; his usage rate off the dribble at UNI was extremely high and would not translate.

That may be the case but that's not how ISU would use him. He'd be the primary ballhandler and playmaker. For the record that's how he was used at the G-League combine as well.

Depends on Green. Everything depends on that but he could easily go to Duke, so the final evaluation is out until then. For the sake of the exercise though let's add him.

PF: Upgrade, Kunc got better throughout the year and the other options here will be better

Ultimately I think they'll be around a 30-35 range in the metrics and should make the tourney again assuming they add Green. Without him it gets a lot tougher.
Sounds like we basically agree we just had the players in different slots.

Reactions: ISUBryceC
Nothing I said in the post you quoted was wrong. The clones were going the wrong way, looked disjointed, and showed no signs of winning more than 10 games before the season started. You predicted 10 wins, right?

As far as luck, the clones were lucky, especially in their NCAA tourney draw. Getting a higher ranked team who just fired their coach in the first game then a team with an injured star in the second was lucky. As far as KenPom, yes, it is statistically calculated. But it is valid nonetheless.

I had no idea if they were "going the wrong way" or "looked disjointed" before the season. I thought they just weren't that talented. I did predict 10 wins. The whole point is that we both thought ISU would suck tremendously and they turned in one of the best seasons in school history by making the Sweet 16. I can't be mad at that.

Good stuff, that is what I was looking for......this is "just my take on Iowa" for next season.

PG Undetermined....Joe T and JBO manned that, both had strengths & weaknesses...have to see what happens.
2G Perkins (my assumption) better defender, rebounder, driving to the basket, but not as good of a 3 pt shooter as JBO...I think better overall than last year.
WF/3 Patrick.....was decent last year and should be better this year, maybe will take a good step forward.
PF--Won't be as good as Keegan, but Completely unknown until we hear if Kris is returning.
C Each of our post players should take a step forward, it's just a matter of how much each of them improves. Rebraca could take a good step forward.....the other two should also improve significantly, but the question is, will it be enough to provide a good contribution to the team.

I believe that Payton will take a significant step forward and be a strong contributor.......and Bowen has the potential to contribute right away. Ulis should improve...how much?

We need to develop our depth in case of injury and illness.

Good stuff, that is what I was looking for......this is "just my take on Iowa" for next season.

PG Undetermined....Joe T and JBO manned that, both had strengths & weaknesses...have to see what happens.
2G Perkins (my assumption) better defender, rebounder, driving to the basket, but not as good of a 3 pt shooter as JBO...I think better overall than last year.
WF/3 Patrick.....was decent last year and should be better this year, maybe will take a good step forward.
PF--Won't be as good as Keegan, but Completely unknown until we hear if Kris is returning.
C Each of our post players should take a step forward, it's just a matter of how much each of them improves. Rebraca could take a good step forward.....the other two should also improve significantly, but the question is, will it be enough to provide a good contribution to the team.

I believe that Payton will take a significant step forward and be a strong contributor.......and Bowen has the potential to contribute right away. Ulis should improve...how much?

We need to develop our depth in case of injury and illness.
My read from the games I watched this past season:

PG - Likely down, but lots of optimism. When you lose the #1 & #2 options, it would suggest down. Certainly Ulis seemed to close more games than Joe T, so you might say option #3 was actually #2. Lots of hope around Bowen, but that is putting a lot of pressure on a freshman, but that worked ok for ISU last year.

2G - Certainly a defensive upgrade, with the major question being if Perkins can be consistent threat from 3. Addition of his consistent mid-range game later in the year showed this is a likely upgrade. potentially better depth here or at the SF depending on where you slot in Sandfort.

SF - Push to upgrade. Certainly Patrick can score. Seems to disappear for stretches but has the tools to score. Will be an upgrade if defense improves, specifically if he rebounds more.

PF - Has to be a downgrade from Keegan, but how far? When writing this I assume there is no major addition at center from the portal which could change things if looking at Rebraca here. Chris is certainly talented, but he is not Keegan and depth becomes a factor.

C - Assuming this is still Rebraca. I would say flat to upgrade if you can get anything from the bench.

Bench - Big question mark. Lose some depth, but how much improvement do you get from others? Not counting on lots from Freshmen from the bench as projecting Bowen to start so not counting him from the bench, if not right away, then part way through the season. Actually think Connor will improve more than some assume as he will likely be healthier than he was last season. I was surprised he was able to play as many minutes as he did after the medical procedure he had. Certainly JBo, and even Naz from ISU, took longer to be healthy enough to play as much as Connor did last season.

That may be the case but that's not how ISU would use him. He'd be the primary ballhandler and playmaker. For the record that's how he was used at the G-League combine as well.
No he would have the ball in his hands and have a 100% green light. But Jeremiah Williams will be the starting PG.

Reactions: Iafootballfan

I think Kunc was the most underrated player on the team last year.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that Iowa's failure to make a dent in the NCAA tournament for a long time is a major obstacle to picking up transfers who may only have a year or two to play.

That still doesn't excuse the failure to pick up a legitimate post man. It also stings when headlines that "Iowa has contacted Oussunyi" and that Iowa may still be in the hunt for Fardaws Amaq are quickly followed by their commitments elsewhere.

Ouch.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkfan1963
So.....on your planet the NCAA tournament was early in the season? Got it.
Really? I didn't remember even playing ISU in the tournament. Hmmm. I guess I get Clones on here boasting about actually winning a contest against THE University of Iowa in SOMETHING since its been what six or seven years since they've beaten the Hawks in literally any meaningful athletic event? Don't get comfortable though the losing and your continued slide to not being of any relevance continues......

Reactions: Ronman
Wasn’t it great when the Clones won 2 games and their delusional fans stopped chirping for about 5 minutes?
Iowa fans are complaining more about Iowa winning 26 games, winning the B1G Tournament, then barely getting beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament than clone fans did in their 2-win season. It's all about expectations. Clones are thrilled to go 21 - 12, 7- 11 in the little 12, and then get 2 wounded duck games in the NCAA tournament that they barely won before they ran into a team with a pulse.

Yup, a season for the ages for them.

Yup, a totally disappointing season for Iowa.

🙄

Iowa fans are complaining more about Iowa winning 26 games, winning the B1G Tournament, then barely getting beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament than clone fans did in their 2-win season. It's all about expectations. Clones are thrilled to go 21 - 12, 7- 11 in the little 12, and then get 2 wounded duck games in the NCAA tournament that they barely won before they ran into a team with a pulse.

🙄

It was not a bad season...it's just that was the chance for Fran's best season in 12 years. If this was as good
as it gets, meh.

It was not a bad season...it's just that was the chance for Fran's best season in 12 years. If this was as good
as it gets, meh.
Huh? Last year should have been a better chance. Iowa just hit a hot team again. The last 3 years (2020 skipped because of Covid but Iowa wouldhavebeenin again) were great opportunities, and all 3 could have been better. But at least Iowa has been there. That is a step forward IMHO. But Iowa needs to make that next step!

Reactions: kceasthawk

🙄

ISU did something this season that Iowa hasn't done in a generation. You can keep banging on about the teams they played but they won the games.

When ISU under Prohm won the Big 12 tourney and got bounced as a 6 seed 3 years ago in the first round fans were not happy. Like you said it's about expectations but like it or not winning games in the NCAA tournament is the goal of every program.

Stating Iowa State was "lucky" to draw Wisconsin in Milwaukee is....quite the take.

Reactions: mrcyfan and CyberJJ
My mistake, Davis was reportedly playing at less than healthy with an injured ankle….In ADDITION Wisconsin’s starting point guard injured his ankle and was a MAJOR factor negatively affecting Wisconsin’s level of play.

He got injured right before halftime, ISU was winning at the time, and Hepburn was 0-3 from the floor with 2 rebounds, no assists, and 2 turnovers. His level of play before the injury was quite bad.

He got injured right before halftime, ISU was winning at the time, and Hepburn was 0-3 from the floor with 2 rebounds, no assists, and 2 turnovers. His level of play before the injury was quite bad.
Unlikely to be repeated in the second half. Did ISU's starting point guard miss half the game? Was ISU's best player playing with an injured ankle that left him less than his normal level of performance?

Unlikely to be repeated in the second half. Did ISU's starting point guard miss half the game? Was ISU's best player playing with an injured ankle that left him less than his normal level of performance?

To the bold, we don't know. Quite frankly he looked terrible in the first half so I see no reason why that wouldn't continue in the second.

As for Davis, he might have been a little banged up but everybody is by that point of the season. I think the disadvantage there might have been offset by playing a de facto home game but I could be wrong.

You're working pretty hard to spin this in a negative light for ISU. We made the Sweet 16, which is a huge deal and it doesn't matter who we beat to get there. If you guys took care of business, like everyone in the country expected you to, you had an easy path the the Sweet 16, and maybe the Elite 8. You had an easy draw and you blew it. Iowa State has done that a few times in the last 20 years, also. It really sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT