ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House passes largest teacher pay increase in state history

"because most kids/parents are too irresponsible to properly maintain them during the season."
Most uniforms are +$150 and you may be on rotation every 4-5 years. They stay in the locker rooms after games both football and basketball for the last 30 years I’ve coached. The only high school sport, at any school,I’ve coached at that washes their own clothes is baseball/softball. When you have to beg the booster club and school for a uniform, you take care of them.
No you can’t trust some students let alone parents to get them done correctly. I’m guessing northern falls into that category given his lack of knowledge on 95% of the topics on this board.

Most uniforms are +$150 and you may be on rotation every 4-5 years. They stay in the locker rooms after games both football and basketball for the last 30 years I’ve coached. The only high school sport, at any school,I’ve coached at that washes their own clothes is baseball/softball. When you have to beg the booster club and school for a uniform, you take care of them.
No you can’t trust some students let alone parents to get them done correctly. I’m guessing northern falls into that category given his lack of knowledge on 95% of the topics on this board.

We've always washed our kid's uniforms. 6 sports total, spanning 15 years. Not one coach has washed anything during the season.

Reactions: Scruddy
We've always washed our kid's uniforms. 6 sports total, spanning 15 years. Not one coach has washed anything during the season.
That’s all great and wonderful Northern…but YOU need to understand that your experience here is not necessarily the norm. There are plenty of situations where washing of uniforms is the coach’s responsibility….
My situation I had 2 options….I wash them at home or I wash them at the school…..but I had to make sure they got washed. I probably could have used the school facility and had another student (manager, probably) wash them but getting them washed, dried and hung was MY responsibility. Where I worked we had varsity game uniforms, varsity, and practice uniforms to wash along with sophomore game uniforms and practice uniforms to wash…and the fresh stuff to wash….and then throw in girls uniforms and practice gear too,,,,,,those washing machines and driers at the school were busy!!!
Players were responsible for their socks and jocks, though…..

Reactions: bojihawk44
That's it, guys. Debate settled based on this tiny anecdote. Coaches have never washed uniforms or cleaned water bottles before based on Northern and Machine's personal experience.

We're done here.

Didn't say that. If you and other are in that position, that's your fault for allowing it.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Republican policies the last decade have created a major brain drain in Iowa. Public Schools have suffered and state agencies are a debacle for worker retention. Many quality education graduates from our universities and colleges are leaving IA in droves for more friendly states towards educators. They are trying to help soften the debacle they have created with some recent moves like this, and the new policies involving giving state workers retention bonuses so they don’t quit within a year.

For family health insurance? If so, that's extremely rare and extremely costly. I can't imagine how distracts afford that unless they have a ton of students and are understaffed.
For single insurance. Family insurance has to pay a relatively small monthly premium ( I want to say around ~$300 a month). He had me review his benefits last year. They were really really good but the pay was not so good especially considering how expensive Madison area is. He's also in a district with lots of upper middle class families. And property taxes are very high in the Madison area too.

For single insurance. Family insurance has to pay a relatively small monthly premium ( I want to say around ~$300 a month). He had me review his benefits last year. They were really really good but the pay was not so good especially considering how expensive Madison area is. He's also in a district with lots of upper middle class families. And property taxes are very high in the Madison area too.
Oh, I thought I read that her annual health insurance benefit was $20k or something like that. Maybe I misread or am not remembering correctly.

How many hours do you think a teacher who coaches one sport or one club/extra curricular works in a year? There are a handful of teachers that work the bare minimum hours and do nothing outside the class, most do not. I'd venture a guess that those that use the "9-10" month response work hourly jobs doing the minimum and they just suspect that's what everyone else does too.
Please explain/show the math for your response.
A lot of these people who whine about summers off work from home. Lots and lots of breaks doing that.

@Tom Paris , @bojihawk44 , @Bulldogs1974 or any other board Iowa teachers, do you have access to your district's salary schedule that can be shared? I retired in 2016 and I believe the base salary was around $38,000. I looked for the master contract which used to be posted online, but I can't find it anywhere. What are your school's enrollment and base salary numbers?
Starting salary in Davenport is around 35K. Not sure what the answers to the other questions are without looking them up. Base goes up usually $100 a year.

Reactions: gohawks50
When I started teaching our health insurance was great. Minimal cost to teachers with $100 deductible. As the staff aged insurance costs started skyrocketing and deductibles grew along with teacher contributions. It's entirely possible that your MIL had a great plan for a low cost 20 years ago.
Now a teacher can empty a savings account if they get cancer.

Reactions: gohawks50
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT