ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa motorcyclist dies after colliding with deer

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Mason City man died after colliding with a deer on his motorcycle early Sunday morning.

A Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Deputy located the crash near the 1300 block of Broad Street in Plymouth just before 4:30 a.m. March 31.

Law enforcement identified Allan Shafer, 22, as the operator of the motorcycle. According to a sheriff's report, Shafer was traveling northbound on Broad Street when he struck a deer that entered the roadway.
Paramedics were on the scene where Shafer was pronounced deceased.

The Mason City Police Department, Mason City Fire Department, and the Plymouth Fire Department assisted on the scene.

Bummer. Seems like it happens a couple times a year.

There is a guy who lives down the road from me. I think his name is Rodney because several times I've heard him called "hot rod rodney". He has an old t bucket coup and a nice orange pearl.paint Harley by the sounds of it he put an S&S motor in. Anyway, he is an old "hot rod" guy. Long hair, beard, chain wallet, the full kit. So last year the neighbor came across him laying the ditch after hitting a deer on that Harley. He was banged up but alright. The bike sat in the ditch for a few days while he was in the hospital. Someone figured out he was in the hospital and his bike was in the ditch and stole it. Within hours our small.town had figured out where Rodney's bike was..... gotta love small town living.

Last edited:
Had a buddy in high school get knocked off his motorcycle by a pheasant,.. He was apparently riding down a gravel road, bird flies up out of a ditch, hits him square in the chest,.. He survived with minor injuries, bird was dead...

Reactions: cigaretteman
My BIL did the same thing years ago, he’s lucky he survived. Had to get about 10 staples in his head because he wasn’t wearing a helmet.
I put one down around 130mph on R16 when I was 18. No helmet, I slid long enough I remember thinking "just keep your head off thr ground". When you are young you don't really put it together on how lucky you were. As time goes on I think about that night every now and then. If I would have touched anything I'd be dead, instead I just slid super far and got really shitty road rash. I, and my bike slid between 2 friends on their bikes, if I touch them, I'm dead, if my bike hits them, they are.

• Wow
Reactions: cigaretteman
So yeah, motorcycles……

1. A high school friend of mine lost his dad to a motorcycle accident.
2. A coworkers of mine lost both his aunt and uncle the same day to a motorcycle accident.
3. Another coworker of mine lost his brother to a motorcycle accident.
4.My FIL was airlifted to the U of I after being merged into on his motorcycle.
4. My own dad broke multiple bones, rashed his arms, hands, hips and knees and missed two weeks of work due to a motorcycle accident.

As much as I love motorcycles, they’re just too dangerous for me to feel comfortable riding.

There is a guy who lives down the road from me. I think his name is Rodney because several times I've heard him called "hot rod rodney". He has an old t bucket coup and a nice orange pearl.paint Harley by the sounds of it he put an S&S motor in. Anyway, he is an old "hot rod" guy. Long hair, beard, chain wallet, the full kit. So last year the neighbor came across him laying the ditch after hitting a deer on that Harley. He was banged up but alright. The bike sat in the ditch for a few days while he was in the hospital. Someone figured out he was in the hospital and his bike was in the ditch and stole it. Within hours our small.town had figured out where Rodney's bike was..... gotta love small town living.
Sounds like they tried that in a small town.

Almost hit one on my bicycle a few days ago. Shockingly close. That was a first.
I've often wondered if folks that ride on paved trails in the country/woods ever hit a deer on their bikes. There's been times when I'm just walking, and a group of deer will run out across the trail like 10 feet in front of me. I always think "Damn, if I was moving faster I would have been RIGHT in that group of em".

I was doing around 40 mph in the convertible near the roundabout at Middle and 53rd in Bettendorf when one leaped out of the ditch and jumped OVER the car - the hooves were like 1 foot from my face.

Freaked me the hell out. Would have been a very bad - if not fatal - injury had I been driving 1 mph faster.
Pic of almost widowed wife?

Was he wearing a helmet? Something like 75-80% of motorcycle deaths are people not wearing a helmet. I love riding a motorcycle but wouldn't pull out of my driveway without a helmet, gloves and at least a protective jacket.

Reactions: funksouljon

Years ago I was riding four wheelers in the woods with my cousin. We headed back to the house down the two lane blacktop ‘O’ Hwy. It’s a very hilly and twisty stretch of road following Black river out in the country.
Come around a hill/curve and we notice a track off the road, then back on the road, then off the road and at the end of it is a big Honda gold wing looking motorcycle. Standing upright, stuck in a barbed wire fence. No rider in sight.
We stop and I notice the saddle bags have 10 empty and two unopened Michelob bottles in them. I look downhill and see a blue patch of cloth hanging from a knob on a pine tree trunk. I look further downhill and there is a dude laying facedown in the leaves, with a bright blue patch on the seat of his pants were the pocket was ripped off. We run down there and he’s softly moaning, no helmet. He seemed to be breathing ok so we didn’t move him. My cousin raced home and called 9/11 so ambulance could pick him up.
He was just a few inches from being ‘accordioned’ on that tree like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

/csb

I've often wondered if folks that ride on paved trails in the country/woods ever hit a deer on their bikes. There's been times when I'm just walking, and a group of deer will run out across the trail like 10 feet in front of me. I always think "Damn, if I was moving faster I would have been RIGHT in that group of em".
There are a lot of these:

Here in Pa, not only deer and birds, we also have bears that share the roads with the big bikes.

I was doing around 40 mph in the convertible near the roundabout at Middle and 53rd in Bettendorf when one leaped out of the ditch and jumped OVER the car - the hooves were like 1 foot from my face.

Freaked me the hell out. Would have been a very bad - if not fatal - injury had I been driving 1 mph faster.

Hwy 285 cuts south from I-10 to Hwy 20 in Niceville, and more than 15 miles of the trip is through the Eglin AFB reservation, with tons of deer.
One year a truck hit one and sent it through the windshield and out the back glass of a car in the oncoming lane.
Driver of the car did not survive.

I've had to brake.

Reactions: McLovin32
A college friend of mine’s sister was killed after hitting a deer on her bicycle. This was in Wisconsin maybe 30 years ago.

Speaking of motorcycles, I was on my way home from a family get together on Saturday. I was on a curvy road going thru the woods and a group of crotch rockets passed going the opposite direction. The first group was hauling ass (in a 45mph). Come to find out, one of them lost control and last I heard was in critical condition. Before I heard about the accident it just made me shake my head with the reckless manner in which they were riding.

I'd bet dollars to donuts your neighbors are yelling "hot rod Rodney" at you. They probably think you're a mentally handicapped adult and trying to build up your confidence

that's the problem is motorcycles, you can do everything correctly and then someone or something pulls out in front of you and WHAM you got the dead
My college dorm roommate used to argue that motorcycles were as safe as cars. I’d say exactly what you said above and he simply refused to acknowledge it. Stubborn, purposely obtuse and difficult to be around.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
My close relative is a lawyer and had a client who was riding on the back of a motorcycle and a driver of a parked car opened the driver's door and it took her leg off.

I've been rear ended sitting at red lights twice in the last decade. It was no big deal since I was in a car.

If I was on a motorcycle, I could have been paralyzed.

CSB.

It gets even worse. A sheriff deputy took a picture of the dead kids body and posted it onto his social media.

Cerro Gordo County sheriff’s deputy resigns following investigation​

Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office(Cerro Gordo County Sheriff's Office)
By KTTC Staff
Published: Apr. 5, 2024 at 3:43 PM CDT|Updated: 4 hours ago

MASON CITY, Iowa (KTTC) – A Cerro Gordo County sheriff’s deputy has resigned after allegedly posting a photo from an accident scene on social media.
In a press release issued Friday, Cerro Gordo County Sheriff Kevin Pals said his office started an investigation Thursday into the alleged posting sent out to members of the public. According to Pals, the deputy being investigated resigned effective Friday.
This week, KTTC received an email from a family member of a Mason City man killed in a motorcycle crash on Sunday. The sheriff’s office confirmed the death of 22-year-old Allan Shafer.
According to law enforcement, Shafer hit a deer while on his motorcycle early Sunday morning in Plymouth, which is about 15 minutes northeast of Mason City. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Shafer’s uncle told KTTC a sheriff’s deputy took photos of his nephew’s body and posted them on his personal social media.
The Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office is not releasing any additional information about its investigation at this time.
Pals did not mention the deputy’s name.

It gets even worse. A sheriff deputy took a picture of the dead kids body and posted it onto his social media.

By KTTC Staff

MASON CITY, Iowa (KTTC) – A Cerro Gordo County sheriff’s deputy has resigned after allegedly posting a photo from an accident scene on social media.
In a press release issued Friday, Cerro Gordo County Sheriff Kevin Pals said his office started an investigation Thursday into the alleged posting sent out to members of the public. According to Pals, the deputy being investigated resigned effective Friday.
This week, KTTC received an email from a family member of a Mason City man killed in a motorcycle crash on Sunday. The sheriff’s office confirmed the death of 22-year-old Allan Shafer.
According to law enforcement, Shafer hit a deer while on his motorcycle early Sunday morning in Plymouth, which is about 15 minutes northeast of Mason City. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Shafer’s uncle told KTTC a sheriff’s deputy took photos of his nephew’s body and posted them on his personal social media.
The Cerro Gordo County Sheriff’s Office is not releasing any additional information about its investigation at this time.
Apparently one of the victim's arms was severed and that is the disturbing photo.

Come close to getting tboned by deer multiple times in the dark on a dirt trail I ride almost daily. Biggest fear is getting an antler in the face. My bike mechanic knows a few people that have gotten smoked by deer at night.

I have ran over a few raccoons and once I went over the handlebars. Opossums are funny, they just turn their head and look at you and keep trotting along willing to share the trail. Noticed Skunks don’t want to spray, I have accidentally passed several in trail, they get the tail high but haven’t been sprayed yet.

Very glad nobody in my family rides motorcycles. Seems like “when” not “if” on those.

Here in Pa, not only deer and birds, we also have bears that share the roads with the big bikes.

My first week after moving to Colorado. Was out riding and came around a turn leaned over pretty good. Effing moose standing next to the road eating grass. So damn big Im pretty sure I could a have gone under him and smacked my helmet on his dong if he was crossing the road.

Edit - they are like cows on stilts. Never appreciated how big they really are until I saw one up close and in the wild.

Last edited:
My first week after moving to Colorado. Was out riding and came around a turn leaned over pretty good. Effing moose standing next to the road eating grass. So damn big Im pretty sure I could a have gone under him and smacked my helmet on his dong if he was crossing the road.

Edit - they are like cows on stilts. Never appreciated how big they really are until I saw one up close and in the wild.
We took a vacation to N Minnesota back when I was a kid. A moose came up to the cabin and walked within feet of all the windows. They truly are beasts. Just gigantic animals/csb

By KTTC Staff

Fing idiot!!! I hate cops sometimes....This is something you would think a young cop would do, but I heard it was a seasoned officer.

I hate going to these calls. I've worked quite a few and never thought to take my phone out and snap pictures for Snapchat. I would think I'd be too busy applying a tourniquet trying to save the guys life.

Fing idiot!!! I hate cops sometimes....This is something you would think a young cop would do, but I heard it was a seasoned officer.

I hate going to these calls. I've worked quite a few and never thought to take my phone out and snap pictures for Snapchat. I would think I'd be too busy applying a tourniquet trying to save the guys life.
In the other thread about this incident, who did this guy think would want to see those pictures? I have seen some gruesome, terrible things at work and I've never once thought that a friend would want to see it. So, the guy had a duty to assist, or if assistance is not warranted, at least control the scene for proper processing, beyond that he did something flat out silly.

Reactions: Hawkman98

Not that it makes it much better but he took a picture of a scene picture and sent it off. Not sure he was on the scene.

Reactions: Hawkman98
I lost two friends in motorcycle accidents in Mason City. One was my best friend two weeks after his wedding. I had another friend that hit a deer and his Harley cut the deer in half didn't even wreck his bike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT