ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa needs a culture change - James Daniels

iowahawkeyes2020

Team MVP
Mar 1, 2020
This completely misses with me someone wanna inform? Everyone talks about Iowa football in a positive way. Rarely do you hear a bad word. Nationally it is why we are respected, recruits want to come here because of it, etc. Not sure what I’m missing

I’ve never heard anything bad specifically about the Iowa Football culture so that would be news to me. We have had some players transfer out that were disgruntled but so does every program. Now, I have heard a whole bunch of current and former players and even our assistant coaches all making statements that they have faced some prejudice at various times outside of football and that obviously needs to change, but again - that applies to every state in the country and isn’t just a problem here.

I’ve never heard anything bad specifically about the Iowa Football culture so that would be news to me. We have had some players transfer out that were disgruntled but so does every program. Now, I have heard a whole bunch of current and former players and even our assistant coaches all making statements that they have faced some prejudice at various times outside of football and that obviously needs to change, but again - that applies to every state in the country and isn’t just a problem here.
Exactly. Kneeling would then be a cultural change to any school not just Iowa

Guess we're just not as classy as they are in Ohio....or Chicago!???? Lol.

We need better coaches too I guess...???

Last edited:
Pretty obvious now why he refuses to say the name of the University during MNF player intros.
Yep, the people who thought he was throwing shade were right.
Except where he said nearly 2 years ago that it had NOTHING to do with Iowa.

On the WUW podcast Daniels mentioned that he and his HS teammates at Warren G. Harding made a pact that if they ever made it to the NFL they'd shout out their former HS. You can hear it from his own mouth.

If you think James is "throwing shade" with either of those tweets, y'all soft as hell.

Except where he said nearly 2 years ago that it had NOTHING to do with Iowa.

On the WUW podcast Daniels mentioned that he and his HS teammates at Warren G. Harding made a pact that if they ever made it to the NFL they'd shout out their former HS. You can hear it from his own mouth.

If you think James is "throwing shade" with either of those tweets, y'all soft as hell.
What's a y'all ?
Is it like a Yak?
Do I need a K'rall if I was going to get one?

I saw this on twitter and came over to give you a nod of respect. Takes balls to take a stand and Iowa should be proud to have someone like James come out of their program. Unfortunately seeing a lot of responses to the tweet like “..but Iowa has one of the best cultures in the country!”

A former player who is black is saying kneeling would improve culture in the locker room and the state. Should end the debate on whether it would help or not and start a discussion on what else can be done.

Part of a good culture means players are empowered to speak up. Props Iowa.

I take it as a message that Iowa, (unsaid but like all states) can do better and that recognition and awareness are steps in the right direction. I think James would have been here when Faith Ekaktie had guns drawn on him while playing Pokémon go which may be one experience that is a source of his opinion. I don’t think this was intended as a statement that there are huge racial problems in the state or program but that there is an ignorance that needs to be remedied. We are a predominately white state so that is a fair assumption that we can be ignorant or unaware of the wide range of prejudices that people of color deal with.

I saw this on twitter and came over to give you a nod of respect. Takes balls to take a stand and Iowa should be proud to have someone like James come out of their program. Unfortunately seeing a lot of responses to the tweet like “..but Iowa has one of the best cultures in the country!”

A former player who is black is saying kneeling would improve culture in the locker room and the state. Should end the debate on whether it would help or not and start a discussion on what else can be done.

Nailed it. What James D. said needs to be respected. Kirk comes out and says something about change and that's the "Iowa" good culture way. James D. (black) comes out and adds to the comment and that's not the good culture way? I don't get it. Life is not a football game. I agree with James D. all the way.
Respect the flag. It's represents your right to free speech. The very first thing in the constitution. [insert Ricky Stanzi quote here] Don't bite the hand that feeds(frees) you. Unity....Kneel before the anthem, then stand during the anthem as a team. Just my opinion. Fight! Fight! Fight! for IOWA.

I take it as a message that Iowa, (unsaid but like all states) can do better and that recognition and awareness are steps in the right direction. I think James would have been here when Faith Ekaktie had guns drawn on him while playing Pokémon go which may be one experience that is a source of his opinion. I don’t think this was intended as a statement that there are huge racial problems in the state or program but that there is an ignorance that needs to be remedied. We are a predominately white state so that is a fair assumption that we can be ignorant or unaware of the wide range of prejudices that people of color deal with.
I agree with this. I think initially what got people upset with his comment was the insinuation that Iowa football culture is bad or worse than other teams, which obviously none of us agree with. After reading his comments again and thinking about it more, I agree he’s probably referencing the fact that some of the white kids on the team have likely never experienced racism first hand and therefore are maybe a bit ignorant of the challenges some of their teammates from different backgrounds may have faced. I had forgotten about the Faith Ekakite incident but that’s probably a good example. Now that you mention it I remember a similar incident that Noah Fant experienced once when he went home to Omaha and had a gun pulled on him. Obviously lots of other current and former players have been sharing their experiences recently as well which has helped bring some awareness to the problem. If it was just an isolated issue here or there it would be easier to rationalize it away but it seems like the vast majority of the black kids on the team have had bad experiences (some minor, some not so minor) so it seems evident there is a problem. But again, that applies to every state and not just Iowa.

Nailed it. What James D. said needs to be respected. Kirk comes out and says something about change and that's the "Iowa" good culture way. James D. (black) comes out and adds to the comment and that's not the good culture way? I don't get it. Life is not a football game. I agree with James D. all the way.
Respect the flag. It's represents your right to free speech. The very first thing in the constitution. [insert Ricky Stanzi quote here] Don't bite the hand that feeds(frees) you. Unity....Kneel before the anthem, then stand during the anthem as a team. Just my opinion. Fight! Fight! Fight! for IOWA.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. I also think it is very easy to be overly sensitive and read too much into what someone says via a short message, like a tweet. Most of the people reading this message board will be Hawkeye fans and it can be a little concerning if you see something that could be could be interpreted as negative of the program, especially something racial. It is important that we do not overreact right now and ask for clarification if needed. I have complete trust that Kirk runs the program in a way that we can all be proud and he has the best interest of all of his players in mind. We repeatedly hear this from parents of players and past players.

Hey, I am all for change. However, that change has to come from both sides. You have to earn respect, not demand it. I take every interaction with a person on an individual basis. You get the respect you give. This is what BLM gets wrong. They need to push for change within the black community. Work for excellence, be the best you can be every day and realize that you are an ambassador to your community in everything you do. Simple stuff like not littering, not tagging, not walking down the middle of the street stopping traffic, even crossing at the crosswalks and things as simple as pushing shopping carts to corals. All are examples of being respectful of others and being invested in the community. I see examples of these micro aggressions every day by the black community. These are all part of the IDGAF mentality.

Let's not confuse culture with identity politics.

Maybe we should devote all of halftime to a number of topics. We can knee for one, stand on our head for another, fart for another,.......

What we really need is honesty. The media is trying to pit Americans against other Americans. They are using premises that are factually incorrect to create discord and discontent. That is their goal. And many are falling for it.

This completely misses with me someone wanna inform? Everyone talks about Iowa football in a positive way. Rarely do you hear a bad word. Nationally it is why we are respected, recruits want to come here because of it, etc. Not sure what I’m missing

Would be nice to please everyone 100% of the time, but every organization is going to have relationships that soured for one reason or another. With that said, all of society and its institutions are re-thinking how they approach things culturally - not just Iowa football. The Midwest is not the most friendly region for black people, so progress needed in that way, too.

He is talking about the culture around awareness of black issues. That’s the way I took it.
racial_disparity_map_worst_states.jpg

Hey, I am all for change. However, that change has to come from both sides. You have to earn respect, not demand it. I take every interaction with a person on an individual basis. You get the respect you give. This is what BLM gets wrong. They need to push for change within the black community. Work for excellence, be the best you can be every day and realize that you are an ambassador to your community in everything you do. Simple stuff like not littering, not tagging, not walking down the middle of the street stopping traffic, even crossing at the crosswalks and things as simple as pushing shopping carts to corals. All are examples of being respectful of others and being invested in the community. I see examples of these micro aggressions every day by the black community. These are all part of the IDGAF mentality.

This is just dumb.

Let's not confuse culture with identity politics.

Maybe we should devote all of halftime to a number of topics. We can knee for one, stand on our head for another, fart for another,.......

What we really need is honesty. The media is trying to pit Americans against other Americans. They are using premises that are factually incorrect to create discord and discontent. That is their goal. And many are falling for it.

Well we devote a few minutes every game to raise awareness for the children battling cancer and other issues in the children's hospital. Apparently, that is ok, but raising awareness of the systemic issues of racism in policing and the justice system is not ok? Cool.

Simple stuff like not littering, not tagging, not walking down the middle of the street stopping traffic, even crossing at the crosswalks and things as simple as pushing shopping carts to corals. All are examples of being respectful of others and being invested in the community. I see examples of these micro aggressions every day by the black community. These are all part of the IDGAF mentality.
This happens in 95% white communities also. And if you don't think the BLM movement is pushing for change within their communities you are blind. Similar to how people kept saying Kap needed do work in communities rather than peacefully kneeling, which was an idea provided to him by a Veteran.

This is just dumb.
Yup. There's a lot of "both sides-ing" and "slippery slope" arguments in this thread which are all bad faith arguments meant to detract from the main point that people like James Daniels was trying to get across.

Without radical changes in the 60s, we'd probably still have segregated water fountains, bathrooms, whatever. Hopefully the protests this past week and upcoming are the next steps towards racial awareness and everything with that.

Well we devote a few minutes every game to raise awareness for the children battling cancer and other issues in the children's hospital. Apparently, that is ok, but raising awareness of the systemic issues of racism in policing and the justice system is not ok? Cool.

And what are those systematic issues of which you speak? And no, don't try to use the media as a source. They are radically dishonest.

Gotta be the weather.

In all serious, many of the states that fared poorly have small (and for some, virtually non-existent) black communities. Nearly all of the highly-ranked states have sizable black populations. That fact in and of itself would tend to mean that it's more welcoming toward new black families, and also more opportunities for black workers.

It's no secret that the African American community has different needs and tastes than other folks. Very few black families are going to willingly move to say, South Dakota, because there is a general lack of black-geared amenities.

I'm not sure what criteria was used to formulate this chart, but there is a general theme of larger states tending to be better places for black Americans than smaller states.

Reactions: RichardMassive
This happens in 95% white communities also. And if you don't think the BLM movement is pushing for change within their communities you are blind. Similar to how people kept saying Kap needed do work in communities rather than peacefully kneeling, which was an idea provided to him by a Veteran.
Yeah, there are trashy people all over, but when I see someone from my community doing it, I call them out. And yes, you see white people doing this stuff. White trash.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT