ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa needs a culture change - James Daniels

Hey, I am all for change. However, that change has to come from both sides. You have to earn respect, not demand it. I take every interaction with a person on an individual basis. You get the respect you give. This is what BLM gets wrong. They need to push for change within the black community. Work for excellence, be the best you can be every day and realize that you are an ambassador to your community in everything you do. Simple stuff like not littering, not tagging, not walking down the middle of the street stopping traffic, even crossing at the crosswalks and things as simple as pushing shopping carts to corals. All are examples of being respectful of others and being invested in the community. I see examples of these micro aggressions every day by the black community. These are all part of the IDGAF mentality.
The problem is with White people, not Black people. And it is systemic.

I think it's weird that we're now getting into opinions that America is somehow "more special" than other nations. Just because other countries don't do their pledge of allegiance or national anthem before games doesn't make their citizens any less patriotic towards their countries than ours.

Also, it's weird how misty-eyed some people are getting over athletes wanting to kneel, an extension of their first amendment rights, during the national anthem to highlight a problem that's been around since the beginning of our nation.

It's not hurting you, they're not unpatriotic for doing so, and you can't dictate what they do. They're respectfully kneeling during the anthem. It's not as if they're running around screaming and causing a scene.

Sports at all levels was the ultimate space where people could come together as players and fans to unite as one group regardless of politics, race or other issues. What’s not being considered is if this now becomes a space mired in all of that other stuff a paying customer can opt out.

Reactions: 24 so far
Oh no,,, Blacks do way more crime and are involved in more violent crime per 100,000 people.

My kids went to central H.S. in Davenport. Do not hit me with education gap. They all had the same opportunity. Income gap reflects Blacks not excelling in H.S. and high drop out rates. Again, this is single parent household poverty issue as much as a race issue. There is a 17% gap in drop out rate between whites and blacks in Iowa. 90.2% of whites graduate. But this does not reflect the other end of it, and that is how many kids by are putting effort into their classes and taking AP courses. I listen to the teachers that I know in the community. Single parent household parents are not as engaged with their kids education.

Home ownership is a process. You have to prove responsibility before you can qualify for loans.
We have statistics on this. Black people commit crimes at the same rate as white people, but are more likely to be punished, and punished more harshly. Black fathers are actually *more* involved in their children's lives on average too, btw. So, that narrative is also trash. Drop out rates are tied to poverty, which disproportionately affects Black people because of racism (hiring discrimination, unequal funding for education, mass incarceration, housing discrimination, etc).

Anyway, you are clearly very racist, so I will be ignoring you now. But, you need to work on yourself. It is not okay to be part of the problem on this.

I think you're r
This

No names were called, first of all. Hypothetical behavior was described as a question using adjectives. Second, I am sorry the on average 1 minute and 56 seconds it takes to salute our nation in unison breaks into your day with inconvenience. My mistake. Let's not take opportunity to celebrate our oneness. Let's let selfish views and a spirit of a separatism prevail. Yes, you can take pride in your team but do not take a moment to take pride in the areas of life above and beyond momentary competitive division to celebrate what brings us all together.

Your ignorant post (I write too many myself, so I can recognize them) most certainly divides you from me. But, we are Americans, and I would give my life to let you disagree. Maybe you will change your mind, and when we finally get to see a live ****ing sporting event, you'll appreciate the gift that is sport in America. Maybe you won't. But, I forgive you. Unfortunately, there are not as many Americans today who think this way. Be it politics, etc., it's all about me and what I want and damn the other side. There's so little sacrifice or shared responsibility. But, Go Hawks.
I think we're both reading too much into a message board post. I simply stated I thought it was odd that the national anthem is played before everything. I have the same thoughts on the pledge of allegiance when I was in school. There are many areas of life where sacrifices are made that don't include the playing of an anthem but once again I don't want to read too much into a message board. I'm here mostly to distance from the garbage floating on other online sites and unfortunately I happened to contribute to it. Apologies. I too hope we get to experience a live game this year and I'd gladly toss you a beverage of choice if we cross paths. Carry on and Go Hawks.

After initially being behind the players if they want to kneel during anthem, I think as mentioned previously a moment of silence for victims of racial/hate driven violence where team kneels before anthem is by far best solution.

We don't need any more divisiveness (if that's even possible) and that's what kneeling during anthem as team would do. Let's give the guys who want to kneel their own moment without controversy and that way we don't force guys to kneel during anthem who really don't want to. Plus going from kneeling to standing as a team for star spandled banner would be really cool visually and symbolically. It's definitely anyone right to kneel, I just feel this would be infinitely better

I think you're r

I think we're both reading too much into a message board post. I simply stated I thought it was odd that the national anthem is played before everything. I have the same thoughts on the pledge of allegiance when I was in school. There are many areas of life where sacrifices are made that don't include the playing of an anthem but once again I don't want to read too much into a message board. I'm here mostly to distance from the garbage floating on other online sites and unfortunately I happened to contribute to it. Apologies. I too hope we get to experience a live game this year and I'd gladly toss you a beverage of choice if we cross paths. Carry on and Go Hawks.
Yeah. I am probably reacting to the disintegration of my perceptions of the nation. I am passionately pro-America. Though we are terribly flawed, I believe in our mantra. Not every person in every country feels that way obviously. But, what I see in politics in its unnecessary battlefield of left and right, in religion as it fades from importance in families and the average, in the family structure and the way kids are raised often without invested parents...it's just a collective failure, and though I shouldn't, I own it. I feel like it's happened on my (generation's) watch.

So, when what is to me a fundamental like the National Anthem is attacked, I just... Have you ever stood on the line as a player or coach and felt pride in the moment of the opportunity? To feel the grandeur of the nation...to feel the unity of being empowered on a great team...to feel your heart beating out of your chest with positives: unity, possibility, and achievement. I cannot understand how someone doesn't respect if not love that 2 minutes or the opportunity to pledge loyalty to our country in school. It does not infringe on anyone but rather includes everyone.

But, that is my view, and we may simply have to agree to disagree. I drink a beer or two and held season tickets for a while now. I'd accept an invite and return the favor.

We don't need any more divisiveness (if that's even possible) and that's what kneeling during anthem as team would do.
Not letting players kneel would be divisive. People ignorant enough to get their feelings hurt when players kneel shouldn't be allowed to dictate what the team does.

Let's give the guys who want to kneel their own moment without controversy and that way we don't force guys to kneel during anthem who really don't want to.
Right, we just force guys to stand during the anthem who really don't want to.

We have statistics on this. Black people commit crimes at the same rate as white people, .

Not sure where you get your statistics, but you are incorrect. It's unfortunate and an intelligent discussion of "why" is important. But there is a huge disparity in violent crime and murder. A simple search of FBI data shows that. Facts are not racist.

There are certainly disparities in punishment that need to be part of the discussion and solution, too.

Nothing will get fixed unless we stop being selective and look at all the components of the problem...especially the ones that are uncomfortable or don't fit one's narrative.

Last edited:
Not letting players kneel would be divisive. People ignorant enough to get their feelings hurt when players kneel shouldn't be allowed to dictate what the team does.

Good for you to decide which people's feelings matter and which don't.....that solve things lmao.

Why don't they do things that WILL make an impacting instead of taking a knee. It really hasn't accomplished anything. It gets people talking more about whether or not it's offensive, and much less about the why.

Why can players not kneel at the begining of halftime and ask the crowd to observe a moment of silence? Seems like something that would unite "everyone"
..not just those that agree with you and the ones that just don't care either way.

So, when what is to me a fundamental like the National Anthem is attacked, I just... Have you ever stood on the line as a player or coach and felt pride in the moment of the opportunity? To feel the grandeur of the nation...to feel the unity of being empowered on a great team...to feel your heart beating out of your chest with positives: unity, possibility, and achievement. I cannot understand how someone doesn't respect if not love that 2 minutes or the opportunity to pledge loyalty to our country in school. It does not infringe on anyone but rather includes everyone.
This can still be felt from one knee. I've never understood how taking a knee is determined to be disrespectful. We were taught to take a knee out of respect when someone was injured on the field of play. We kneel to pray.

This can still be felt from one knee. I've never understood how taking a knee is determined to be disrespectful. We were taught to take a knee out of respect when someone was injured on the field of play. We kneel to pray.
From kindergarten I was always taught you stand for the national anthem.

These days kids can do whatever they want so I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed...

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Good for you to decide which people's feelings matter and which don't.....that solve things lmao.

Why don't they do things that WILL make an impacting instead of taking a knee. It really hasn't accomplished anything. It gets people talking more about whether or not it's offensive, and much less about the why.

Why can players not kneel at the begining of halftime and ask the crowd to observe a moment of silence? Seems like something that would unite "everyone"
..not just those that agree with you and the ones that just don't care either way.
I'm not the one who decides idiots' feelings don't matter. They just don't. Stupid viewpoints don't need to be catered to.

Why can't players not kneel at the beginning of halftime? Because it's meaningless. Players shouldn't have to water down their statements to make racists more comfortable.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I'm not the one who decides idiots' feelings don't matter. They just don't. Stupid viewpoints don't need to be catered to.

Why can't players not kneel at the beginning of halftime? Because it's meaningless. Players shouldn't have to water down their statements to make racists more comfortable.
Meaningless every moment but during the anthem ...ok. lol

Athletes from team sports have events where they do things as a team like meals, practices, chants, music, battle cry, national anthem, etc. The reason they do this is to come together as a team to show unity. Even if you don't feel like it, you go through the motions to let teammates and fans know that you are in this together. Letting athletes skip out on team events seem more divisive to me, to both teammates and fans. It screams "me" or my feelings are more important than the team.

Athletes from team sports have events where they do things as a team like meals, practices, chants, music, battle cry, national anthem, etc. The reason they do this is to come together as a team to show unity. Even if you don't feel like it, you go through the motions to let teammates and fans know that you are in this together. Letting athletes skip out on team events seem more divisive to me, to both teammates and fans. It screams "me" or my feelings are more important than the team.
Then they should all kneel together.

zolo3rd1dw151.png

Yes, idiot, the anthem is when it makes the strongest statement. Not wanting them to make the strongest possible statement exposes your contempt for black people.
No it shows my support for our national anthem ****ing moron.

I think they have time one would be the strongest anyways jackass feel free to have your own stupid opinion. Want change? Sure you're willing to sacrifice for it. And now that doesn't mean they should have to...

Reactions: Kurt Warner
From kindergarten I was always taught you stand for the national anthem.

These days kids can do whatever they want so I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed...

Yep, spot on. JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." The mindset of our younger generation (all races) is more like, don't tell me what I can or cannot do and you better give me the stuff I want.

Reactions: HoundedHawk
Yep, spot on. JFK said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." The mindset of our younger generation (all races) is more like, don't tell me what I can or cannot do and you better give me the stuff I want.
On a side note.....black kids get in trouble in school too much so the schools decide the best thing to do is let things slide more often. Crap like that is why the issue isn't so easy to deal with.

Doing something like that makes the principal super intendant etc look better but it DOES NOT help the kids in the king run. It helps keep them down imo. You discipline everyone but them and say that's the opposite of racist????? People are funny these days!

I know...off topic sorry :).

You prioritize observation of a ritual during a song over black people being allowed to speak out against violent, unequal treatment.
During those few seconds yes, yes I do. The other 99.999% of their lives I will go ahead and support them!! If that's not enough for you oh well. Hell as far as I'm concerned swap out the ANF sticker for a BLM sticker!!

During those few seconds yes, yes I do. The other 99.999% of their lives I will go ahead and support them!! If that's not enough for you oh well. Hell as far as I'm concerned swap out the ANF sticker for a BLM sticker!!
"The only time I have a problem with kneeling is when it's most important for the people who want to kneel to do it."

If the black players prefer to kneel, everyone should kneel. Players who have a problem with it should take a hard look at what's important to them and why.

Bullshit, disagreeing with how someone protests is not the same as disagreeing with WHY they are protesting. Just like I will never agree with people burning the American flag, I will not agree with people kneeling during the anthem. To me, both show intense disrespect to flag and the people who have died defending it.

"The only time I have a problem with kneeling is when it's most important for the people who want to kneel to do it."
Every chance should be important, there is no most important! If anything most important should be the chance you get to unite the whole country.... Doing at that moment will never do so.

All we keep doing is discussing whether or not it is disrespectful and not even talking about why it is done. There are much better opportunities to be seized. If people can't see that then oh well. Do what you do. Kneeling during the anthem was to get people to talk about the issue clearly it did not work properly. Sorry you are too blind to see this.

Ask any black football player that went to Iowa during my career (15-17) and they know exactly what I’m talking about.

If he has something to say then say it...this is getting ridiculous! You say what you have to say or don't say anything....

I agree, either come out and say what you mean, or stop. Also, I find it amusing that after he is in his new job that has guaranteed money, is when he decided to trash IOWA. It would of been more impactful if he would of done it while a student.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT