ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

It doesn't seem like TNT enjoy putting a lot of effort into recruiting
This might be the most inaccurate thing ever posted on here. You do remember Tom drove through the night to PA to make sure Kemerer came here right? And how Tom and Terry were the ones that got Spencer to come? I believe it was Terry that was at Gabe Arnold’s house first day of contact. While M* may do the most work of the staff, Tom and Terry do their fair share.

I also don’t believe Cael does most of the traveling. I think that’s mostly Cody.

This might be the most inaccurate thing ever posted on here. You do remember Tom drove through the night to PA to make sure Kemerer came here right? And how Tom and Terry were the ones that got Spencer to come? I believe it was Terry that was at Gabe Arnold’s house first day of contact. While M* may do the most work of the staff, Tom and Terry do their fair share.

I also don’t believe Cael does most of the traveling. I think that’s mostly Cody.

Tom had to drive to Kem's because of the disastrous visit he had. Coaches all over the country are at recruits houses the first day of contact. Getting Spencer was absolutely a feather in their caps but they need a lot more feathers. TnT can share the mediocre and poor classes with Ryan, that's fine. I don't know or care who does the traveling at PSU but Carl is the one who makes it work. We have heard more than once about a kid who went to another school that liked Iowa but we either didn't recruit or recruited at first and then got out worked after not following up and assuming we were sitting good. I often hear about coaches from other teams at a national highschool tournament being seen while evaluating talent but not ours. Recruiting these days takes planned out coordinated effort. Recruits need a lot more maintenance. That's why a recruiting coordinator is a good idea.

Last edited:
First off do you realize without Ryan all the recruits we would have never gotten. Let’s try to remember how Carl did at isu before he got to p$u. It started with money for him over there and now it’s culture. Not saying he can’t coach all these guys know how to coach(maybe not Manning) and recruit. Problem is now psu has the culture of winning and it’s going to be extremely difficult to out recruit that no matter who you are.
ISU finished fifth or higher in each of his years as coach. Look up how many years they have finished fifth or higher since he left.

The dirty little secret no one wants to admit is had Cael stayed at ISU they would have won a few championships. He had Taylor ready to go and others would have followed.
He wouldn’t have had Ruth. Cael likely does win a few titles at ISU, but he doesn’t win them early on and who knows how that changes things moving forward.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

To me it is pretty simple, but I'm not the one doing the work. With that said people need to quit giving any members of the staff a pass until recruiting improves.

Trust me I’ve heard/seen some of your thoughts and proposals. Let’s just say this program is better off without your input.
Hmmm, the only actual staff "change" I've proposed was adding/changing to a recruiting coordinator. .....but you're right that wouldn't help.

Reactions: drunkengoat
Hmmm, the only actual staff "change" I've proposed was adding/changing to a recruiting coordinator. .....but you're right that wouldn't help.
Adding a full time recruiting coordinator would be awesome and help the coaches recruit. Wouldn’t even have to be a wrestler.

The dirty little secret no one wants to admit is had Cael stayed at ISU they would have won a few championships. He had Taylor ready to go and others would have followed.
Very likely. I mean when they get top end talent in Ames many other recruits usually. Just like when they got Carr…….oh wait.

Reactions: MitchLL and Spoons
I haven’t started posting on On3 yet but I see some posts there. And Mike Z isn’t the mod. (And I like Mike, but that’s another story.)

That said, someone already signed up as SPOONER there so I’d have to find a new monicker. If someone did it to screw with me, I have to respect that.

Baby Hat GIF
RDietz is there so you're good to go.

Reactions: rossel 33
That's a pretty optimistic prediction with nothing to support it with.

One big reason he left Ames was he was always going to be second fiddle in the State.

That said...the KJ era sure was entertaining and six years with Dresser is only marginally better.

One big reason he left Ames was he was always going to be second fiddle in the State.

That said...the KJ era sure was entertaining and six years with Dresser is only marginally better.
Taylor was a big time recruit coming to L’Ames.

His track record at PSU might give some insight that he would be successful at other schools, given enough time.

Reactions: drunkengoat
Possibly. But, for example, was Nick Saban anywhere near as successful at Michigan State as at LSU and Alabama? There’s a lot to be said for being in a recruiting hotbed
I think the Saban-Carl comparison is a good one.

Saban was good at MSU. Then he moved to a hotbed of recruiting where he can load up on top end talent. He has the recruiting skills (like Carl) to get the best of the best to sign on even when there are players just as good to compete for a spot against. And he is willing to kick the loser of the battle to the curb and “encourage them to leave”. And if they have a very good starter but find someone better, he is willing to kick the starter to the curb. It is cut throat winning. I couldn’t do it - I am too loyal and honest to do that to someone, but it is a skill that makes a dynasty as long as you can keep your players/wrestlers happy and keep them coming. One might even say Brands doesn’t have the cut throat killer instinct to do it - he is too loyal to his people - great trait for a mentor/role model, but not necessarily for a cut throat winner. I doubt very much that TnT even considered recruiting over/transfer portalling in a guy over Kennedy. Carl didn’t hesitate to do it to Facundo or to Beard.

And some coaches can stack the talent but still can’t win/underperform (see Texas and ND football, maybe throw tOSU, Michigan, and OSU wrestling in there to some degree [though not great examples]).

Saban and Carl have it all right now - The top end talent stacked deep, financial backing, and enough skill to make it all work.

Saban is a good coach but couldn’t make it work with the Miami Dolphins where he didn’t have superior talent at almost every position. He couldn’t develop a dominant team at MSU. Could Carl? Maybe, maybe not.

Michigan must feel much better about them than what they have, but they are not PSU material
I think the Saban-Carl comparison is a good one.

Saban was good at MSU. Then he moved to a hotbed of recruiting where he can load up on top end talent. He has the recruiting skills (like Carl) to get the best of the best to sign on even when there are players just as good to compete for a spot against. And he is willing to kick the loser of the battle to the curb and “encourage them to leave”. And if they have a very good starter but find someone better, he is willing to kick the starter to the curb. It is cut throat winning. I couldn’t do it - I am too loyal and honest to do that to someone, but it is a skill that makes a dynasty as long as you can keep your players/wrestlers happy and keep them coming. One might even say Brands doesn’t have the cut throat killer instinct to do it - he is too loyal to his people - great trait for a mentor/role model, but not necessarily for a cut throat winner. I doubt very much that TnT even considered recruiting over/transfer portalling in a guy over Kennedy. Carl didn’t hesitate to do it to Facundo or to Beard.

And some coaches can stack the talent but still can’t win/underperform (see Texas and ND football, maybe throw tOSU, Michigan, and OSU wrestling in there to some degree [though not great examples]).

Saban and Carl have it all right now - The top end talent stacked deep, financial backing, and enough skill to make it all work.

Saban is a good coach but couldn’t make it work with the Miami Dolphins where he didn’t have superior talent at almost every position. He couldn’t develop a dominant team at MSU. Could Carl? Maybe, maybe not.
Agree, if savanna was a great coach he would have kicked ass in the NFL and Michigan State. He would not have reached this legendary status, not even close.

DeAugustino was 4th in 2022 and wrestled hurt in 2023. I think that was pretty widely known.

Cannon is a 2-time AA. I’ve read some folks say he too was wrestling hurt last year. He beat Nagao 7-4 during the season. Some have said he plans to move up to 141 and with Michigan having Ragusin at 133, I’d say that sounds probable.

I just checked and wrestlestat lists him at 141.

Possibly. But, for example, was Nick Saban anywhere near as successful at Michigan State as at LSU and Alabama? There’s a lot to be said for being in a recruiting hotbed
His championship at LSU was his 9th year as a head coach. I think within the next six years of coaching Sanderson would've won at least one at ISU.
As for PSU they didn't win one since 1953 without him. With him? Ten out of thirteen contested years.

DeAugustino was 4th in 2022 and wrestled hurt in 2023. I think that was pretty widely known.

Cannon is a 2-time AA. I’ve read some folks say he too was wrestling hurt last year. He beat Nagao 7-4 during the season. Some have said he plans to move up to 141 and with Michigan having Ragusin at 133, I’d say that sounds probable.

I just checked and wrestlestat lists him at 141.
Yeah, both guys are good additions for Michigan. Ayala beat DeAugustino 6-5 in the 2022 dual.

Reactions: mcpat
Agree, if savanna was a great coach he would have kicked ass in the NFL and Michigan State. He would not have reached this legendary status, not even close.
Then why didn't PSU win one in my lifetime ? Prior to his arrival in 2009 they had one.
Saban has six national titles at Bama, tying Bear Bryant. Was Bryant a great coach?
He won his first National title at Bama in 1961. His first year as a head coach was in 1945. Even he took awhile to get his first title.
Saban is a great coach, as is Bryant just like Sanderson.

Then why didn't PSU win one in my lifetime ? Prior to his arrival in 2009 they had one.
Saban has six national titles at Bama, tying Bear Bryant. Was Bryant a great coach?
He won his first National title at Bama in 1961. His first year as a head coach was in 1945. Even he took awhile to get his first title.
Saban is a great coach, as is Bryant just like Sanderson.
I don’t think anyone is saying Carl isn’t a great coach.

Clearly, Carl is a tremendous recruiter and salesman (a big part of coaching). He is able to get Age level world champions to follow him to PSU (little extra $ didn’t hurt in his early days to get the ball rolling). Many/most of the world champions are able to maintain/improve on their dominance under his (and assistant coaches) tutelage.

I don’t know that he has proven he can take above average talent and significantly elevate their games to become NCAA champions/world champions, but then again, he doesn’t have to. He starts with world champions. If that one doesn’t maintain their dominance, he moves on to the next world champion at his weight and is able to convince them to go to PSU. It is a skill nobody else has managed to accomplish which makes him a great coach.

Saban is a good coach but couldn’t make it work with the Miami Dolphins where he didn’t have superior talent at almost every position.

I'm no Nick Saban fan, not even close. But he went to Alabama because he wanted more control of personnel. He was dying to sign Drew Brees but the front office wouldn't sign off because he didn't pass their physical. Instead they shoved Dante Culpepper down his throat and he knew he'd never win with that load. So he checked out. What might have Saban done with Brees at QB for 10 years? We'll never know.

I don’t think anyone is saying Carl isn’t a great coach.

Clearly, Carl is a tremendous recruiter and salesman (a big part of coaching). He is able to get Age level world champions to follow him to PSU (little extra $ didn’t hurt in his early days to get the ball rolling). Many/most of the world champions are able to maintain/improve on their dominance under his (and assistant coaches) tutelage.

I don’t know that he has proven he can take above average talent and significantly elevate their games to become NCAA champions/world champions, but then again, he doesn’t have to. He starts with world champions. If that one doesn’t maintain their dominance, he moves on to the next world champion at his weight and is able to convince them to go to PSU. It is a skill nobody else has managed to accomplish which makes him a great coach.
Matt Brown and Frank Molinaro won championships are were not elite recruits. Brown was in the 70s and Molinaro was in the 30s in their senior year recruiting rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT