ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa school district shuttering...

Almost every district in Iowa is in serious decline. Amazing to see some of the Cedar Rapids schools that are less than 1/2 the size they were in the 70's. Has nothing to do with Governor Reynolds. Has everything to do with Feminism and the resulting depopulation bomb. Women either just don't want to have children, or they are waiting to long to start families, all of which is caused by feminism. Gone are the days of 10-12 kids in families, like my grandparents generation.
A “voice from the past”….a phuquin’ Legend has just checked in Boyz!

I knew Jimmy Buffet was right….there is a woman to blame! 😂

Reactions: Ree4 and peacehawk
Almost every district in Iowa is in serious decline. Amazing to see some of the Cedar Rapids schools that are less than 1/2 the size they were in the 70's. Has nothing to do with Governor Reynolds. Has everything to do with Feminism and the resulting depopulation bomb. Women either just don't want to have children, or they are waiting to long to start families, all of which is caused by feminism. Gone are the days of 10-12 kids in families, like my grandparents generation.
Apparently the blame gets assigned to Governor Reynolds retroactively for the past 50+ years.

Apparently the blame gets assigned to Governor Reynolds retroactively for the past 50+ years.
Nope. School consolidation is inevitable. However, with consolidation comes large numbers of political turn-over. Voters will always extract their revenge, and often without aiming first. School and county consolidation will adversely affect the party in power…and Republicans aren’t gonna give it up without a fight.
You wanna piss off a voter…. Take away their schools or their county seat.

Reactions: MitchLL
^^^^^Serious post????

God, I hope not.

There hasn't been a school closing in Iowa for nearly a decade.
There have been mergers, but that's not what this is. These students will likely be divided up into 3/4 nearby districts.

But we have several posters here that want everyone to believe this is just a coincidence and not connected to Republicans continued attacks on public education.
Again...there will be more of this in the very near future.
As a point of reference, there are 10-12 current school districts with smaller enrollment than O/M.

No. There’s a new round of white flight taking place. We see it around Davenport all the time. Des Moines has it too.

^^^^^Serious post????

God, I hope not.

There have been mergers, but that's not what this is. These students will likely be divided up into 3/4 nearby districts.

But we have several posters here that want everyone to believe this is just a coincidence and not connected to Republicans continued attacks on public education.
As a point of reference, there are 10-12 current school districts with smaller enrollment than O/M.
There is a difference between closing a school and merging districts but too many here cannot understand what it is.

^^^^^Serious post????

God, I hope not.

Mitch,

The following article was written in 2014. Pay attention to the bold. 29 schools shuttered in a decade with most of those years having a Democrat governor.

In 1894, Iowa had 13,433 public schoolhouses, mostly one-room rural structures considered to be their own districts. That's been whittled down to 338 districts as of July; in the last decade alone, 29 schools have been shuttered.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So...reporting a pertinent news story makes someone a troll???

I suspect it's more a case of you didn't like the news I reported.

BTW...be better.
It is when this is not new in Iowa and you pin it on the Republican Governor.

Mitch,

The following article was written in 2014. Pay attention to the bold. 29 schools shuttered in a decade with most of those years having a Democrat governor.

In 1894, Iowa had 13,433 public schoolhouses, mostly one-room rural structures considered to be their own districts. That's been whittled down to 338 districts as of July; in the last decade alone, 29 schools have been shuttered.
Northern…there is a difference here. Shutting down a district and farming kids to several different districts is a lot different than consolidation of districts. Sounds like the district in this thread is being split up between 2-4 other districts….Consolidations would be combining school districts…the “consolidation” I am familiar with would be back in the ‘89’scwhen Prairie City and Monroe merged. Bloody hell was raged for a long period of time. Eventually things got worked out…Tge HS went to Monroe, the Jr High to PC and both kept grade schools(?)…but there was a lot of bad feelings between residents involved.but, it had to happen.
These consolidations are going to have to happen now too…. And rural areas will be the losers, especially with tax money going to private schoools now.,

Northern…there is a difference here. Shutting down a district and farming kids to several different districts is a lot different than consolidation of districts. Sounds like the district in this thread is being split up between 2-4 other districts….Consolidations would be combining school districts…the “consolidation” I am familiar with would be back in the ‘89’scwhen Prairie City and Monroe merged. Bloody hell was raged for a long period of time. Eventually things got worked out…Tge HS went to Monroe, the Jr High to PC and both kept grade schools(?)…but there was a lot of bad feelings between residents involved.but, it had to happen.
These consolidations are going to have to happen now too…. And rural areas will be the losers, especially with tax money going to private schoools now.,
Yep, you’re still sober. Nice.

Largely a distinction without a difference.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It is when this is not new in Iowa and you pin it on the Republican Governor.
Reread post #85!!!

This is NOT a merging of one district with another. It's a district "disbanding".
That hasn't happened here in a decade.
Wanna know what political Party has occupied Terrace Hill for the last ten years?
It is 100% due to the GOP and their refusal to properly fund public education.
Get educated or get lost.

Take a hike incel, what a pathetic post.

Reactions: Ree4 and lucas80
Nope. School consolidation is inevitable. However, with consolidation comes large numbers of political turn-over. Voters will always extract their revenge, and often without aiming first. School and county consolidation will adversely affect the party in power…and Republicans aren’t gonna give it up without a fight.
You wanna piss off a voter…. Take away their schools or their county seat.
If joelbc1 is a product of Iowa's public education system, sounds like shuttering the system could be beneficial.

OP is just plain wrong here. There needs to be a thinning of the herd of these tiny districts, as well as reducing the number of counties to about 25.
From a practicality POV, the reduction in # of counties is a good idea.
But it's political suicide for a political Party to implement that.
NEVER HAPPEN.
And there isn't a town/village/city that wants to lose any school attendance center. That's a "death knell" for any rural area.

Fund public schools properly and there is no need for the voucher/subsidy program.

Rural Iowa is getting neck deep in shit by supporting Republicans. But for some reason, they're too stupid to realize that.

Seems like your head will explode in 1 year when everyone qualifies for ESA. You should probably start taking some meds now to chill out.
Yeah, that's going to be sweet for us taxpayers, isn't it? Paying so some rich kid can go to Dowling while public school funding slacks, and rural schools dry up to dust and blow away in the wind.

Iowa was a top 5 education state when he went to school…same for me…so again, your constant stupidity shows again. The state is slipping due to republicans who won’t fund education.
Why address reality when you can scream about teacher's unions, DEI and homo kids while siphoning off $200 million to give rich kids a leg up in life?

I believe as taxpayers we were promised that the plan imported from an out of state think tank would increase school choice and lead to more options for kids. How many new schools have opened in rural Iowa with all of this new choice available to our kids?

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and Pinehawk
I believe as taxpayers we were promised that the plan imported from an out of state think tank would increase school choice and lead to more options for kids. How many new schools have opened in rural Iowa with all of this new choice available to our kids?
I thought Iowa schools were funded by property taxes. Obviously, I could be wrong.

We, on the left, take no joy in seeing in real time, exactly what we predicted would happen to rural Mississippi North schools.

Being correct is fulfilling when you forecast a positive end result.
Being correct when our prediction of school closings materializes is not a good feeling.

This could have been avoided had voters used common sense and not given Terrace Hill that super majority.
Now...you're getting what your ignorance earned you.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and Ree4
Does that private school started by that Toledo Iowa Republican legislator count?

Grifters gonna grift.

Femminism? I'd say economics is a bigger driver of public schools closing their doors. Plano ISD is a monster sized school district and they are shutting down 4 schools ( 2 elementary & 2 middle schools). Reasons being is that empty nesters are not selling their houses and younger families can not afford the few that are on the market. Plano has 3 high schools that are larger than any high school in Iowa. Last year DFW added 180,000 people to its population base. It is the fastest growing metro area in the country.

From a practicality POV, the reduction in # of counties is a good idea.
But it's political suicide for a political Party to implement that.
NEVER HAPPEN.
And there isn't a town/village/city that wants to lose any school attendance center. That's a "death knell" for any rural area.

Fund public schools properly and there is no need for the voucher/subsidy program.

Rural Iowa is getting neck deep in shit by supporting Republicans. But for some reason, they're too stupid to realize that.
Essex really doesn’t have much, college springs, zero. It’s wasting taxpayer funds already

Reactions: TunzaHawk
Why address reality when you can scream about teacher's unions, DEI and homo kids while siphoning off $200 million to give rich kids a leg up in life?
You think the private school vouchers go to just “rich” kids

Maybe education is faltering because democrats destroyed the concept of a nuclear family and want single women to have several children, view them as a commodity with no father around to gain a vote because they depend on your handouts.

Even for this board, this is next-level stupid.

Glad it was posted by a Cyclone fan.

Jesus Christ.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT