ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa school district shuttering...

You really think the school board made this decision without some input from parents???

JFC, you can't be this naive.
What did he say that was wrong? The parents have the final say in this. Hell, with the size of the school, the board probably is all of the parents.
^^^^^Serious post????

God, I hope not.

There hasn't been a school closing in Iowa for nearly a decade.
There have been mergers, but that's not what this is. These students will likely be divided up into 3/4 nearby districts.

But we have several posters here that want everyone to believe this is just a coincidence and not connected to Republicans continued attacks on public education.
Again...there will be more of this in the very near future.
As a point of reference, there are 10-12 current school districts with smaller enrollment than O/M.
Based on 2024 BEDS, Whiting, Diagonal and South Page are the only 'Districts' smaller than O-M. The rest appear to be private/academies that were probably started after the voucher deal. A couple of them are probably just homeschoolers that formed an academy to get the gov't money, which, I'm not getting into that discussion.
354Morning Star Academy, Bettendorf36
355St. Mary's, Remsen36
356Valley Lutheran, Cedar Falls36
357Cedar Valley Christian35
358Hamburg Charter35
359Iowa School for the Deaf30
360Orient-Macksburg29
361Whiting28
362Diagonal18
363North Iowa Christian School15
364Scattergood Friends14
365South Page, College Springs14
366Clear Lake Classical13
367Ottumwa Christian School13
368Unity Ridge Lutheran School4
369New City Classical Academy3
370Strong Roots2

This is probably better for the kids in the district. They can go to the district closer to their home rather than driving three towns over to go to school. Orient kids can go to Nodaway Valley or Creston and be 15 minutes from school, Macksburg kids can go to Winterset and also be 15 minutes from school. Consolidation would mean some of these kids would be 30+ minutes from school.
If they had merged, you would probably be complaining how the poor kids have to spend so much time on the bus every day. This is a good thing for these kids, unless they really loved being a big fish in a small pond.

Reactions: globalhawk
I agree.

A lot of regular Americans in many professions do extraordinary work under difficult circumstances.

I am biased in favor of teachers and police officers and other public servants—provided they uphold the honor and integrity of the profession—because many of us are unfairly scrutinized by society.
Im in education. Teachers also unfairly judge parents

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
If don't bring anything else to this forum, you bring one thing... sarcasm.

In your eyes, Reynolds can do no wrong.

We predicted the policies of this Governor would decimate rural areas. Just underestimated how quickly it would begin.
Rural areas have been in decline for decades. High tide was the 40s. Enrollment stayed up from boomer births. Decline is quickening regardless. Its demographics.

Welp, the first domino has fallen.

Orient Macksburg school district will disband after a decision by the local school board.

Dim Kim's plan to solve the teacher/administration shortage has been started in Mississippi North. By forcing rural schools to go bankrupt, those employees can go to other schools now.

Fvcking genius move from our drunkard Governor.
Apparently she isn't as dumb as she looks?
Apparently you've never driven around your state and noticed all the old, abandoned "rural" school buildings in towns that haven't had a school to themselves in over 60 years

Is that what’s happening in Iowa? Or are well-off people pocketing more money from the government while most Iowa kids, particularly in rural areas, don’t really have any private school options within a reasonable distance?

It’s been a decade and a half since I lived in Iowa, but I can’t imagine a plethora of private schools have cropped up in rural areas of the state, making a private school education a realistic option for many Iowa families.

Regardless, public funding should never go to private schools. I can’t believe that’s even argued. But if private schools do accept public funding, then they shouldn’t be allowed to discriminate against anyone. Clearly, that’s not the case.

So, yes, it’s absolutely disgusting and disgraceful, regardless of your ridiculous attempt to reframe it into something more palatable. Absolutely shameful and reprehensible.
In SE Iowa there are many private schools. NOTRE dame, Rrgina, IMS, West Point....could go on and on. Harmony Public closed quute awhile ago. It was time.

I'm not talking about rogue teachers.
Jeeeebus Northern…. What the phuque is a “rogue teacher”?
Might it be a reacher who has critical thinking skills? Might it be a teacher who believes in teaching their students to think critically? Or is it a Catholic or Hew who teaches in a public school system?

Jeeeebus Northern…. What the phuque is a “rogue teacher”?
Might it be a reacher who has critical thinking skills? Might it be a teacher who believes in teaching their students to think critically? Or is it a Catholic or Hew who teaches in a public school system?

I'm not the one that brought up rogue teachers.

You think the private school vouchers go to just “rich” kids
No, but I think private school kids have always found a way. I have a lot of friends who went to IC Regina, and I have friends who send their kids there now. They found a way to make tuition either by themselves, with help from family members, or via their parish. That is their choice.
There is ZERO accounting going on with what these schools are charging, and how much the money is going up with the influx of public money. It's laughable to me that for being so cost conscious. our Republican leaders now don't give a fig about monitoring the expenditure of state funds, and sure as F**K don't want anyone finding out where the money is going and how much schools are bumping up tuitiion.

Iowa was a top 5 education state when he went to school…same for me…so again, your constant stupidity shows again. The state is slipping due to republicans who won’t fund education.

Iowa

#6 in Best States Overall
Iowa is a relatively small state that has played a disproportionately large role in American politics, with its caucuses marking a key point in U.S. presidential election contests every four years.
Iowa is a farm state, producing milk, chicken and eggs, as well as livestock. Iowa is also a major engine of corn and soybean production, and is home to one of the nation’s largest cereal mills. Machinery production – from farm machinery and construction equipment to home appliances – is another major industry in the state.
Iowa, its name derived from the Native American Ioway people who once inhabited the region, became the 29th state in 1846. The Mississippi River forms its entire eastern border, while the Missouri River and a tributary, the Big Sioux, form the western border, making Iowa the only state with two parallel rivers defining its borders. The state abuts Minnesota to the north, Wisconsin and Illinois to the east, Missouri to the south, Nebraska and South Dakota to the west.
,[object Object],

READ MORE »

It is so dumb when posters say, ‘where are all these new private schools?!’
…When the program is only in its second year and not yet even fully implemented yet.
A new school wouldn’t even be complete yet if they started building when they first heard of this possibility passing the legislature.

First they’ll fill up. Then they’ll expand. Then they’ll build new when needed.
I urge you to start a thread every single time a new school is privately funded in Iowa. Bonus points for it being built in rural Iowa, or an underserved area.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Iowa was a top 5 education state when he went to school…same for me…so again, your constant stupidity shows again. The state is slipping due to republicans who won’t fund education.

Florida ranked #1 in education and Utah #2.

Those blue or red states?

Reactions: abby97
No, but I think private school kids have always found a way. I have a lot of friends who went to IC Regina, and I have friends who send their kids there now. They found a way to make tuition either by themselves, with help from family members, or via their parish. That is their choice.
There is ZERO accounting going on with what these schools are charging, and how much the money is going up with the influx of public money. It's laughable to me that for being so cost conscious. our Republican leaders now don't give a fig about monitoring the expenditure of state funds, and sure as F**K don't want anyone finding out where the money is going and how much schools are bumping up tuitiion.
I agree on needing oversight and auditing

Reactions: MitchLL
What the phuque is a “rogue teacher”?
One with a personal agenda that has nothing to do with providing students a quality education.

I have yet to encounter one, but I know they exist. Just as I know racist cops exist because I have met a couple.

Reactions: Tom Paris
What's a Hew?

Axe Chopping Wood GIF by HISTORY UK

Coincidently, I see where DSM Christian Achool announced plans to build a new campus about a mile from there present campus in a couple of years….about the same time Kim’s vouchers become eligible fir all comers…no longer “income based”….Now tell me about welfare for the rich. Or is this just “coincidence”?
One with a personal agenda that has nothing to do with providing students a quality education.

I have yet to encounter one, but I know they exist. Just as I know racist cops exist because I have met a couple.
a “rogue teacher” isn’t going to last long I wouldn’t think. But there are unhappy bastards in all phases of life I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Welp, the first domino has fallen.

Orient Macksburg school district will disband after a decision by the local school board.

Dim Kim's plan to solve the teacher/administration shortage has been started in Mississippi North. By forcing rural schools to go bankrupt, those employees can go to other schools now.

Fvcking genius move from our drunkard Governor.
Apparently she isn't as dumb as she looks?
People in these small towns sure are a hoot. Unable and unwilling to pay for their own school, let’s sky scream about the lack of funding to save schools in towns with no economic draw.

Coincidently, I see where DSM Christian Achool announced plans to build a new campus about a mile from there present campus in a couple of years….about the same time Kim’s vouchers become eligible fir all comers…no longer “income based”….Now tell me about welfare for the rich. Or is this just “coincidence”?

a “rogue teacher” isn’t going to last long I wouldn’t think. But there are unhappy bastards in all phases of life I suppose.

Read a story that indicated the land was acquired by way of gifts/donations.

Very few if any of the families that send their children to DSM Christian are "rich" the majority are at poverty level.

• Haha
Reactions: LunchBox50

While the district’s certified enrollment number is 163.9 students for the 2023-24 school year, 86.9 students have open enrolled out of the district and those state supplemental aid dollars follow the students to their new district. Thirty-three students have open enrolled into Oreint-Macksburg and only two students from the district are enrolled in Iowa’s new private school tuition voucher program.

Seems like some more digging may be needed if blame is to be attributed to private school money.

Reactions: Pinehawk

I have no idea about DSM Christian School. I’m not sure if you were directing that to me or not.

As to your other comments, it depends on the school district, parents, and school board. Like I said, I have never encountered a teacher promoting LGBTQ issues in a classroom or rhetoric that white people are still oppressing persons of color. For the handful of teachers across America who do promote those things, they better be in a sympathetic school district with like-minded parents.

Yeah, I said "some schools". Which means it comes from the top, not rogue teachers. Reading must be hard for you.
Well, in my defense, it’s often difficult to discern what the hell you are saying with all the unintelligible trash you like to post.

Other than obligatory DEI trainings, I doubt too many school districts or administrators or pushing the agenda you think they are. The greater point is this is a boogeyman you have created inside your head, most likely due to anecdotal evidence pushed by far right-winged media.

Reactions: joelbc1
Well, in my defense, it’s often difficult to discern what the hell you are saying with all the unintelligible trash you like to post.

Other than obligatory DEI trainings, I doubt too many school districts or administrators or pushing the agenda you think they are. The greater point is this is a boogeyman you have created inside your head, most likely due to anecdotal evidence pushed by far right-winged media.

You have no defense.

You claim to be a teacher yet in recent days you've posted some pretty nasty stuff on this board. This troubles me.

Methinks that many (here) equate recognition of alt lifestyles as capitualization to “the new world order”….and this just is not the case. Ragnar, I think you are correct that some here have created a “boogeyman” to help them more effectively cope with this challenge to their persona; belief system. Their attack on these alternate lifestyles and their use of “religion” to argue their case is just another false flag.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Again....this is the FIRST domino, more to come.
I take no joy in accurately predicting this would happen. But the actions of the Mississippi North legislative body led to this point.

The Reynolds defenders are out in full force.

Last edited:
The word Republican should be capitalized, I thought you were a teacher.

We, on the left, take no joy in seeing in real time, exactly what we predicted would happen to rural Mississippi North schools.

Being correct is fulfilling when you forecast a positive end result.
Being correct when our prediction of school closings materializes is not a good feeling.

This could have been avoided had voters used common sense and not given Terrace Hill that super majority.
Now...you're getting what your ignorance earned you.
You people on the left haven't been correct on anything in 75 years so please don't try and kid yourself now.:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT