ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa severe weather outbreak thread 12/15****

You have your own "meadow"?
The WDT "meadow" is a sight to behold!!

xlarge.jpg

Ugh! Good luck to you. If it gets too bad, would your insurance cover a motel stay? We were without power for 11 days after the derecho, and I was seriously considering it just to get a comfortable night sleep for us.
I heard on TWC today that the Weather Service officially classified last night's storm also as a derecho after evaluating everything today. One guy thought it should get its own classification. Whichever, in December it was just incredible.

I hope everyone is safe, stays warm, and that there’s not a GIANT rolling ball of runaway Christmas lights on the loose in DM, CR, or even Keokuk trying to flatten poor unsuspecting Iowans who don’t see it coming.
Keokuk is technically Missouri. Iowa lost the coin toss on that one. Just an absolutely dreadful place.

Reactions: lucas80 and torbee
It's come down substantially. 1 bright side is you can put your fridge and freezer items literally outside and not lose it. The plumbing is of concern. Hopefully this afternoon.
Why would plumbing be a concern? If it gets to cold open the faucets and turn off the incoming water.

A Fertile Woman married a Manly Man in Han "cock" county
Oldie but a goodie
We have power back now, but my parents live in the country 3 miles away and still do not. They also lost all but one tree, two grain bins, and a camper tipped over. Shit got wild at their house.
Derek, sorry to hear that. Reports of some severe damage around the Buffalo Center area, including a building in town losing a roof, and a couple acreages that had significant damage. Locally, were lucky. Always a bit unnerving to hear your town and surrounding towns on a tornado warning.

Oldie but a goodie

Derek, sorry to hear that. Reports of some severe damage around the Buffalo Center area, including a building in town losing a roof, and a couple acreages that had significant damage. Locally, were lucky. Always a bit unnerving to hear your town and surrounding towns on a tornado warning.
Yeah, I consider us very lucky only being without power for a day. I have a friend by Rudd that said they have almost 10k without power and many may not get it back for a week. That would be miserable in December.

Reactions: Herkster5
They are good. They said it sounded like the house was going to blow away from the basement. Their neighbor a few miles away had a 2×4 go through the living room wall.
This is why the people who say the storm was “overhyped” or made out to be too big a deal by meteorologists piss me off. Just because it didn’t hit your house doesn’t mean it isnt a big deal to others who weren’t so lucky. There was some pretty bad damage in places ranging from the Missouri to the Mississippi River. That’s a big deal.

This is why the people who say the storm was “overhyped” or made out to be too big a deal by meteorologists piss me off. Just because it didn’t hit your house doesn’t mean it isnt a big deal to others who weren’t so lucky. There was some pretty bad damage in places ranging from the Missouri to the Mississippi River. That’s a big deal.
I sat in the hot tub and listened to it, it was intense. My house is pretty well shielded from winds from the W- SW.

This is what separates a professional journalist like yourself from us internet wannabees, the ability to work a word like turgid into a severe weather thread. Good work. Did I miss TwT or TwaT this week?
Turgid is just an awesome word.

I did not write a column this week as I am the farthest thing from a recruiting guru you’ll find.

For those of you wondering, the W flag that hangs out back is beaten, but unbowed.

Do you work in insurance, or do you think you personally have $150k worth of damage? Curious, because I am in the industry.
I own an insurance agency, and I did not have any damage to my acreage.

**Edit to add:

I think we filed less than a dozen claims, at least so far. Anywhere from buildings being flat on the ground, roofs tore off, walls blown out, to shingles and ridgecap damage to houses. All in all, we were very, very lucky in our area.

Security camera footage from the business destroyed by the tornado in Neola.

https://fb.watch/9YovyHfumk/
Thanks for sharing that Shawn. That tornado right there was supposedly the one that did the damage to my place as it traveled directly over my acreage and landed in Neola. I saw today that Glenwood had a tornado spotted as well as Underwood (located very close to Neola). I live exactly in between all of those locations. Pretty lucky it didn't smack us a good one.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Shawn. That tornado right there was supposedly the one that did the damage to my place as it traveled directly over my acreage and landed in Neola. I saw today that Glenwood had a tornado spotted as well as Underwood (located very close to Neola). I live exactly in between all of those locations. Pretty lucky it didn't smack us a good one.
It could have been so much worse. My friend Russ, Treynor native, lives about 200 feet from that building. He was videotaping with his phone. You can tell the moment he starts to panic. Fumbles the phone and then that’s the end of the video. He headed to the basement just before it hit.

Reactions: torbee and Hammer93
Been driving around sac county for the lake view tornado. A few large farm operations hit pretty good at the start of the tornado and damage was spotty for the next 17 miles with some damage here and there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT