ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Showing Interest in NDSU Transfer, Grant Nelson

20+ wins overall
11+ wins in BT play

and they could win more depending on how fast they come together as a team.

this team has the pieces to have a complete 5 on 5 practice with 5 players on the bench ready to fill in.
this is my 2 deeps
SO 6'2 Bowen FR 6'1 Harding at the 1/pg
SR 6'4 Perkins SO 6'5 Dix at the 2/SG
RSSR 6'9 Patrick JR 6'7 Sanfort at the 3/SF
JR 6'9 Brauns FR 6'9 Dembele at the 4/PF
SR 6'9 Krikke FR 6'11 Freeman at the 5/C

with these off the bench
JR 6'11 Mulvey 5
FR 6'7 Sanfort 3-4
JR 6'5 Lakata 2-3
SO 6'4 Kingsbury 2-3
RSFR 6'2 Nimmers CG.

this group should have some very interesting practice settings. finally a very deep roster to keep injuries in check.
The way Fran plays defense and with limited scoring there 15 wins might be lucky next year.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
The way Fran plays defense and with limited scoring there 15 wins might be lucky next year.
That's extremely optimistic IMO but I guess we'll see.
We know the entire schedule at this point--so we can start making educated predictions on these things:
Non-Con: 8-3
7 buy-games = 7 wins
@ Creighton = L
@ ISU = L
2 of USC/Oklahoma/Seton Hall = 1-1

Big Ten Home: 8-2
Nebraska = W
Ohio St = W
Rutgers = W
Illinois = W
Maryland = W
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Big Ten Away: 3-7
Indiana = L
MSU = L
Northwestern = L
Illinois = L
Maryland = L
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Overall: 19-12 (11-9) which would put Iowa squarely on the bubble.

Reactions: littlez
how or where do you see limited scoring as I see these for returning numbers
Perkins 29.7 mpg 12.3 ppg 3rd on the team
Sanfort 20.7 mpg 10.8 ppg 4th on the team in scoring
Patrick 22.3 mpg 9.8 ppg 5th in scoring
Bowen 9.4 mpg 3.1 ppg 8th in scoring
Dix 9.2 mpg 2.0 ppg

rest of the bench 3.5 ppg for a total of 41.5 ppg off a team that avg'd 80.2 ppg.

then Fran added Krikke who led the MVC in scoring with 19.4 ppg
Braums avg'd 7.0 ppg
that makes another 26.4 ppg for a total of 67.9 ppg. IA avg'd 80

as a FR Sanfort scored 5.0 ppg playing 10.5 mpg. he dbled the mpg and dbled his scoring per game. I wonder how much he will improve on his scoring this year.

with the added size to the front court their should a definite improvement on the interior defense. no more letting player havimg a clear path to the basket and better rebounding which does lead to better defense as it cuts down on 2nd chance points. which has killed IA in the past.

now I will wait for you to explain your point, I will say it again the quicker this team comes together the better they will be because of this.

I think the Swarm is doing a good job of trying to build a good structure that has a steady source of income (the collective side). Where they seem to be lacking is getting local businesses to buy-in to sponsorship opportunities specifically for basketball. That seems to be the disconnect--it isn't the Swarm that is funding "only" football, the Swarm itself just cuts a flat check to all athletes. Where football is differing is they clearly have some Swarm Inc support that basketball does not currently have--that's what helped football in the portal.
There's also been some reporting on how basketball players are just costing more money per player. I wonder how much Swarm Inc support for basketball was spent just to ensure that Perkins, Sandfort, and the other returning players are kept content. Retaining the entire roster sans Ulis is pretty impressive in 2023 and I can't imagine they accomplished that for free.

I wonder how many fans are turned off because so many University of Iowa entities are asking for money:

* SWARM, to pay players

* The athletics dept wants your donations in general and for good seats at Kinnick & Carver

* The Hawkeye Wrestling Club has an "inner circle" where Iowa wrestling fans are donating monthly amounts

* The I Club wants you to join up today

* The University of Iowa (the non athletics side) would love you to donate as well

I wonder how many fans are turned off because so many University of Iowa entities are asking for money:

* SWARM, to pay players

* The athletics dept wants your donations in general and for good seats at Kinnick & Carver

* The Hawkeye Wrestling Club has an "inner circle" where Iowa wrestling fans are donating monthly amounts

* The I Club wants you to join up today

* The University of Iowa (the non athletics side) would love you to donate as well
That's why doing things like the Swarm beer and events are important. A lot of fans aren't going to do a monthly donatation to the collective, but a bunch of fans will drink beer and pay an entree fee to watch something like a co-ed basketball game. Those income revenues are going to be important for the collective.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Iowa having a good offensive is just as safe a bet as having a bad defense.

Never expecte to much or too little from Fran, he usually finds a way to have his standard season regardless if he has 4 nba players or none.

Iowa having a good offensive is just as safe a bet as having a bad defense.

Never expecte to much or too little from Fran, he usually finds a way to have his standard season regardless if he has 4 nba players or none.
when has Fran have 4 NBA Players that played at the same time? making shit up again. god you really are ****ing pathetic,

Garza and Weiskamp played together
Keagon played by himself
Kris played by himself

there have also been multiple injuries. the day they lost to Oregon
Connor only played 12 minutes with bad hips that required surgery on both hips in the off season after the tournament was over,
Fredrick played 13 minutes because of a lower leg injury
JBO played 19 minutes with a shoulder injury

that made 3 starters that played injured. but rather that admitted there were injuries that hurt 3 starters, these posters bitched about them scoring 0 points in the game.

Keagon Murray got extended minutes ended up with these for stats.
24 minutes
2-9 FG
1-5 3 point shooting
1-2 FT's
4 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal
1 block
1 turn over
sure didn't look like a NBA player then.

Patrick stats
20 minutes
10 points
4-6 FG
2-2 ft's

its to bad all you posters do is remember how Keagon finished and ignore how he started and try to ram how he finished down every bodies throat.

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
We know the entire schedule at this point--so we can start making educated predictions on these things:
7 buy-games = 7 wins
@ Creighton = L
@ ISU = L

Nebraska = W
Ohio St = W
Rutgers = W
Illinois = W
Maryland = W
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Indiana = L
MSU = L
Northwestern = L
Illinois = L
Maryland = L
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Give me my house on the unders.

Reactions: Iafootballfan
7 buy-games = 7 wins
@ Creighton = L
@ ISU = L

Nebraska = W
Ohio St = W
Rutgers = W
Illinois = W
Maryland = W
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Indiana = L
MSU = L
Northwestern = L
Illinois = L
Maryland = L
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Glad we get Minny, PSU, and UM twice. Pretty reasonable prediction.

when has Fran have 4 NBA Players that played at the same time? making shit up again. god you really are ****ing pathetic,

Keagon played by himself
Kris played by himself

Connor only played 12 minutes with bad hips that required surgery on both hips in the off season after the tournament was over,

that made 3 starters that played injured. but rather that admitted there were injuries that hurt 3 starters, these posters bitched about them scoring 0 points in the game.

24 minutes
2-9 FG
1-5 3 point shooting
1-2 FT's
4 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal
1 block
1 turn over

Patrick stats
20 minutes
10 points
4-6 FG
2-2 ft's

its to bad all you posters do is remember how Keagon finished and ignore how he started and try to ram how he finished down every bodies throat.
Lol.

Herbys getting angry.

If you were really an Iowa fan you would put heights and star rankings in your post.

Who is Nelson? ;)

Typical thread that got derailed….

(See post #188)

giphy.gif

Keagon played by himself
Kris played by himself

24 minutes
2-9 FG
1-5 3 point shooting
1-2 FT's
4 rebounds
1 assist
1 steal
1 block
1 turn over

Patrick stats
20 minutes
10 points
4-6 FG
2-2 ft's

Last time I checked after nunge got hurt keagan was starting some games if not 6th man making it 3 players playing significant time who made the nba. Also kris was 6th man keagan’s soph year. So no keagan didn’t play by himself. Once again you post inaccurate info.

20+ wins overall
11+ wins in BT play

this team has the pieces to have a complete 5 on 5 practice with 5 players on the bench ready to fill in.
this is my 2 deeps

with these off the bench
JR 6'11 Mulvey 5
FR 6'7 Sanfort 3-4
JR 6'5 Lakata 2-3
SO 6'4 Kingsbury 2-3
RSFR 6'2 Nimmers CG.

this group should have some very interesting practice settings. finally a very deep roster to keep injuries in check.
But you are missing the important data. what were their star rankings as 18 yr old HS players?

Last time I checked after nunge got hurt keagan was starting some games if not 6th man making it 3 players playing significant time who made the nba. Also kris was 6th man keagan’s soph year. So no keagan didn’t play by himself. Once again you post inaccurate info.
as a SO as the leading scorer. had these 2 as the #2 and #3 scorers
JBO 11 ppg avg'ing 26.9 mpg
Pat 10.5 ppg avg'ing 24.2 mpg

also as FR he was the 5th scorer at 7.2 ppg at 18 mpg just in front of Nunge who tore his acl after 22 games who avg'd 7.1 ppg in 15.9 mpg.

20+ wins overall
11+ wins in BT play

this is my 2 deeps

with these off the bench
JR 6'11 Mulvey 5
FR 6'7 Sanfort 3-4
JR 6'5 Lakata 2-3
SO 6'4 Kingsbury 2-3
RSFR 6'2 Nimmers CG.

On paper, that roster is not close to a 20+ overall/11+ conference win team.

You’re nuts.

7 buy-games = 7 wins
@ Creighton = L
@ ISU = L

Nebraska = W
Ohio St = W
Rutgers = W
Illinois = W
Maryland = W
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Indiana = L
MSU = L
Northwestern = L
Illinois = L
Maryland = L
Michigan = W
Minnesota = W
PSU = W
Purdue = L
Wisconsin = L

Lol

On paper, that roster is not close to a 20+ overall/11+ conference win team.

You’re nuts.
if this roster on paper is not a 20 win season
Top 100 4* Pat RSSR 6'9
Top 100 4* Sanfort FR 6'7
Top 100 4* Krikke RSSR 6'9
grade 81 4* Harding FR 6'1 updated listing
grade 80 4* Freeman FR 6'10
4* Dembele FR 6'9 250 lb PF
SR Perkins 6'4
JR Sanfort 6'7
SO Dix 6'5
SO Bowen 6'2
RSJR Braums 6'9
JR Mulvey 6'11
OPEN SCHOLLY.
3 top 100 4*'s, 3 4* just outside the top 100, 2 transfers
now if that is not a 20 win team then just what the hell is?

then if these players Krikke and Braums are not good enough then why is Nelson so much better as he played in the Summit which is below the MVC as far as MID MAJORS go.

Top 100 4* Pat RSSR 6'9
SR Perkins 6'4
JR Sanfort 6'7
SO Dix 6'5
SO Bowen 6'2
RSJR Braums 6'9
JR Mulvey 6'11
OPEN SCHOLLY.
Maybe because star rankings when players were 18 yr old HS players don’t automatically equate to success at the college level especially when they are 21-22 yr olds who have played a few years in college. Some over achieve and some don’t live up to the billing.

Such as krikke. coming out of HS not sure where the hell you are getting he was a top 100 4* player. he was anything but. reason why he ended up at Valpo as a lightly recruited player but like so many mid major transfers he over achieved and being taken by D1 school. Meanwhile Pmac a top 100 player is not one of the top 100 players in his class. Same with former players like oglesby. College football and b-ball is littered with 4/5* who didn’t live up to the hype. Why Iowa fans are familiar with names like Blake Larson and Dan doering.

Last edited:
Top 100 4* Pat RSSR 6'9
SR Perkins 6'4
JR Sanfort 6'7
SO Dix 6'5
SO Bowen 6'2
RSJR Braums 6'9
JR Mulvey 6'11
OPEN SCHOLLY.
Lol

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
For that roster, 15 wins would be pretty good.
I disagree, Karnack is more likely to be right on this one. We have a solid roster and I think we will be just as good as last season . We were 19-14 and I see another season of 19-20 wins and an NCAA appearance. We will be be good again offensively. Hopefully the defense and rebounding will be at least as good as last year. Go Hawks !

Top 100 4* Pat RSSR 6'9
SR Perkins 6'4
JR Sanfort 6'7
SO Dix 6'5
SO Bowen 6'2
RSJR Braums 6'9
JR Mulvey 6'11
OPEN SCHOLLY.
I'm not sure why you're looking at the stars for veteran players. They mean nothing at this point. In terms of starters, they lost the 2 most productive players on the team from last year. That's not debatable from a statistical or defensive perspective and neither one of them had the rankings out of high school. Patrick wasn't close to one of the top 100 players in the country last year.

If this is going to be a 20 win team, there will need to be substantial growth from expected starters, Patrick and Bowen along with more consistent play from Perkins. It could happen, but it's hardly a given. I'm optimistic that Dix and Sandfort are going to have very good seasons. As always, defense is a concern with this group.

I'm not sure why you're looking at the stars for veteran players. They mean nothing at this point. In terms of starters, they lost the 2 most productive players on the team from last year. That's not debatable from a statistical or defensive perspective and neither one of them had the rankings out of high school. Patrick wasn't close to one of the top 100 players in the country last year.

If this is going to be a 20 win team, there will need to be substantial growth from expected starters, Patrick and Bowen along with more consistent play from Perkins. It could happen, but it's hardly a given. I'm optimistic that Dix and Sandfort are going to have very good seasons. As always, defense is a concern with this group.
Im really not concerned with Iowa having a decent regular season.

Fran has a pretty consistent track record of being above average over a large sample size of different players. I don't worry about the roster anymore, I just assume players will improve because it almost always turns out to be true.

The only times his teams haven't contend for the tournament is when he had those two really bad classes that flamed out 6 or 7 years ago that left a hole in the class structure.

in the past these were the 4* players that had success and FRAN has not had that any 4* recruits that committed starting with and ending his last
PG TOP 100 Gesell
C TOP 50 Woodbury
Stretch 4 top 100 by ESPN #147 by Rivals Uthoff
top 40 by ESPN TOP 80 by Rivals Cook
top 50 by Rivals top 80 by ESPN Wieskamp
top 100 by ESPN and top 100 by Rivals Patrick
top 100 by ESPN outside the top 100 Connor
Top 100 by ESPN just outside the top 100 by Rivals Garza
that's it and now he has landed these making just 8 since 2010 in 9 years.

4* by ESPN just outside their top 100 3* by Rivals Toussaint
3* by ESPN #112 4* by Rivals Ulis
4* by ESPN just outside their top 100 3* by Rivals left school a year early Mulvey
top 100 4* by ESPN 3* by Rivals Bowen
top 100 4* by ESPN top 100 4* by Rivals Sanfort
grade 81 4* just out side ESPN top 100 by ESPN non top 150 by Rivals Harding
grade 80 4* just outside ESPN top 100 non top 150 by Rivals Freeman
4* just outside Rivals top 100 grade 78 by ESPN, Dembele
4* top 100 by ON3 transfer portal Krikke led the MVC Conference in scoring. not just his team and is a #55 4* by 247. that makes 9 since 2020 in 4 years
considering how and what he has found in White, the Murray twins and the rest, I am very comfortable with how these new 4* players are going to do.

big deal Fran has been losing key cogs every year he has been here, just like every D1 team in the country.

as for Pat he has had to deal with cancer treatments since the day arrived, last summer he went to a clinic in Minnesota to get is cancer meds adjusted that he takes everyday. since then he has gone from 185 lbs to 205 lbs just waiting to see the updated weights to come out as the talk is Pat is up to 215 lbs now. he is also back to normal mentally going into this fall.

last season he dealt with more that most of you can't even imagine,

Perkins played with a deep bone bruise last season. if any of you had a bruise on your thigh, try to imagine the pain that Perkins did all season as a deep bone bruise does not go away as it takes time and lots of rest. something you don't get while playing, yes he can go easy in practice but he can't in a game.

this fall both Perkins and Patrick should be at full strength. having 2 RSSR's plus a RSSR transfer will give Fran 2 RSSR's in the starting lineup and that means more than anything else to a team

this could be the starting lineup
SO Bowen
SR Perkins
JR Sanfort
RSSR Patrick
RSSR Krikke

the only player that lacks experience will be Bowen and watching players like these succeed Gesell, JBO and JUCO transfer Crawford did as startes in their 1st year even JT led the team in steals in his 1st year.

I am more than comfortable with Bowen at the point. with 3 SR's and a JR around him, he should not struggle much and as the season goes along he should settle into the starters role quite easily.

Patrick a 4?
sarcastic-laugh.gif

First of all I'd love it to be true. That he is much bigger and ready to bang with the best of the BIG. Just don't think that's really in the cards.

Last edited:
this is how these msg board poster go, all negative then when the team starts winning they bitch every time IA loses to a team they just know is inferior to IA. doesn't matter who they just know that team was clearly inferior and god help them if they lose to ISU. the tar and feathers will be filling IC streets up plus the pitchfork crowd will be out in full force, even these posters predicting a bad season will bitching about this season should have had more wins.

IA could win 25 games and they will still scream bloody murder that this team team didn't win more. that's before the BTT and NCAAT was even played.

Im really not concerned with Iowa having a decent regular season.

Fran has a pretty consistent track record of being above average over a large sample size of different players. I don't worry about the roster anymore, I just assume players will improve because it almost always turns out to be true.

The only times his teams haven't contend for the tournament is when he had those two really bad classes that flamed out 6 or 7 years ago that left a hole in the class structure.
Perhaps. I know people begrudge the fact that Iowa has struggled post season, but I don't think too many here appreciate the talent that Iowa has had on hand in the recent past. Fran has had 7 players drafted over this stretch of NCAA tournament bids in White, Uthoff, Cook, Garza, Weiskamp, Keegan, and Kris. Kudos to him for making that happen, and they've had good seasons as a result. Who's getting drafted after this year? IMO, this year is a rebuild waiting for players like Bowen, Dix, the Sandforts and others to develop their games. Just getting this current group to the tourney is gonna require a really great coaching job by Fran to make this team better than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps. I know people begrudge the fact that Iowa has struggled post season, but I don't think too many here appreciate the talent that Iowa has had on hand in the recent past. Fran has had 7 players drafted over this stretch of NCAA tournament bids in White, Uthoff, Cook, Garza, Weiskamp, Keegan, and Kris. Kudos to him for making that happen, and they've had good seasons as a result. Who's getting drafted after this year? IMO, this year is a rebuild waiting for players like Bowen, Dix, the Sandforts and others to develop their games. Just getting this current group to the tourney is gonna require a really great coaching job by Fran to make this team better than the sum of its parts.
Im not going to try to predict who improves and to what degree because there's so many pieces but I'm nearly positive it will be different than what people are calculating now because everyone is making assumption based on last year and historically that has not been accurate.

I think Iowas been picked around 9th the last 2 years.

Until I see otherwise I'll assume Fran will put together a team that scores a lot and doesn't defend and usually that's good for a middle of the pack finish and a tournament bid.

Once there we know what happens.

big deal Fran has been losing key cogs every year he has been here, just like every D1 team in the country.

as for Pat he has had to deal with cancer treatments since the day arrived, last summer he went to a clinic in Minnesota to get is cancer meds adjusted that he takes everyday. since then he has gone from 185 lbs to 205 lbs just waiting to see the updated weights to come out as the talk is Pat is up to 215 lbs now. he is also back to normal mentally going into this fall.

last season he dealt with more that most of you can't even imagine,

Perkins played with a deep bone bruise last season. if any of you had a bruise on your thigh, try to imagine the pain that Perkins did all season as a deep bone bruise does not go away as it takes time and lots of rest. something you don't get while playing, yes he can go easy in practice but he can't in a game.

this fall both Perkins and Patrick should be at full strength. having 2 RSSR's plus a RSSR transfer will give Fran 2 RSSR's in the starting lineup and that means more than anything else to a team

this could be the starting lineup
SO Bowen
SR Perkins
JR Sanfort
RSSR Patrick
RSSR Krikke

the only player that lacks experience will be Bowen and watching players like these succeed Gesell, JBO and JUCO transfer Crawford did as startes in their 1st year even JT led the team in steals in his 1st year.

I am more than comfortable with Bowen at the point. with 3 SR's and a JR around him, he should not struggle much and as the season goes along he should settle into the starters role quite easily.
Wish we could get another year out of Crawford

part of that adj defense is rebounding
last year
6'8 Kris svg'd 7.9 rpg
6'9 Filip avg'd 7.5 rpg
6'9 Patrick avg'd 3.5 rpg
6'4 Perkins avg'd 4.1 rpg
6'7 Sanfort avg'd 4.1 rpg.

those made up the top rebounders last season

this year they add these for reboundingpurposes
6'11 Freeman
6'9 Krikke
6'9 Dembele
6'9 Braums
and yea even 6'11/7' Mulvey who in 49 minutes had
11 rebounds
1 TO
1 steal
5 blocks that = 1 block every 10 minutes playing.

so it makes for a very interesting season in store to watch what he does this fall.

techinally Mulvey is just a SO college age wise. sorry but 18-19 age makes no difference.

he will be just a JR while he should be just a SO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT