ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Showing Interest in NDSU Transfer, Grant Nelson

If Iowa spent a lot of effort, when Nelson had made it clear that we wanted a big NIL agreement, then I agree with you. It really does suck that college sports has become this mess, but for now, it is what it is. I guess Fran did well to land Krikke and Brauns.
This is a great point.

How much effort is too much effort?

If Fran knew about Nelson's NIL expectations/demands, should he have pursued him at all? I'd say probably not, especially if Fran knew what his "cap" was to begin with.

This is a great point. How much effort is too much effort? If Fran knew about Nelson's NIL expectations/demands, should he have pursued him at all? I'd say probably not, especially if Fran knew what his "cap" was to begin with.

Anybody who selectively applies their efforts based on always achieving the average result, will guarantee an average level of performance,.. Really great results derive from accomplishing things that at first glance appear impossible...

This is a great point.

If Fran knew about Nelson's NIL expectations/demands, should he have pursued him at all? I'd say probably not, especially if Fran knew what his "cap" was to begin with.

At this point, any "great" recruit is going to have NIL expectations above what Iowa basketball can offer.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this stance suggests Fran has no business spending a lot of time on any high caliber recruit.

At this point, any "great" recruit is going to have NIL expectations above what Iowa basketball can offer.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this stance suggests Fran has no business spending a lot of time on any high caliber recruit.
It’s a new world we’re living in, at least with regards to portal transfers, and it appears coaching relationships, style of play, location, etc are now taking a far backseat to NIL.

Especially for kids just looking for one more year before hopefully starting their NBA career.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If Iowa spent a lot of effort, when Nelson had made it clear that we wanted a big NIL agreement, then I agree with you. It really does suck that college sports has become this mess, but for now, it is what it is. I guess Fran did well to land Krikke and Brauns.

This is a great point.

I doubt Fran put much effort into Grant Nelson's recruitment. Why do I say that? SWARM/Brad obviously couldn't offer Grant any big deals like what he offered McNamara, All, Brown, etc and I bet Grant's interest in Iowa quickly disappeared as a result. And once that happened, Fran was done & moved on.

Anybody who selectively applies their efforts based on always achieving the average result, will guarantee an average level of performance,.. Really great results derive from accomplishing things that at first glance appear impossible...

How do you suggest Fran go about landing a player like Grant Nelson when SWARM Inc. spent all the NIL money on football players?

Grant is clearly looking to get paid. Pay for play at it's finest. SWARM Inc. has no money to offer Grant. Fran had no chance in this recruitment.

Reactions: Watson2Coleman
Assuming you are talking about ON3--they have an algorithm that estimates how much a player is worth based on their social media followings. It's widely known that their estimates are really, really bad.
Similarly, that site has a percentage for their recruiting guesses and it's an algorithm that takes into consideration things like who offered first, if past players from that high school went somewhere, visits, social media reactions, etc. And those percentages are laughable until one of their experts overrides it with an actual "crystal ball prediction".

I commend them for trying something unique with the AI stuff, but it's pretty clear that it's a ways off from being accurate.
Thanks for the input. I wasn't trying to post bad info, but that's what I get for not looking closer at where the numbers came from.

Reactions: glacierhawk
Thanks for the input. I wasn't trying to post bad info, but that's what I get for not looking closer at where the numbers came from.
No worries-- they definitely want people to believe that their numbers are accurate so it's totally understandable why someone would read that and draw the same conclusions that you did (which is why I don't like that the site has that feature).

Reactions: seer_hawk
The longer the wild west situation lingers in NIL without reforms, the more it will become entrenched. I predicted this would be the end of collegiate sports as we all know it and I've seen nothing since then to change that opinion. Granted, Iowa has always been a longshot dark horse to ever win a national championship in MBB or football, but the NIL as it stands now lowers that probability to zero, zilch nada and that will be the case for 90% of D1 football programs and likely 95% of D1 MBB programs going forward without some serious reforms and oversight.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

The longer the wild west situation lingers in NIL without reforms, the more it will become entrenched. I predicted this would be the end of collegiate sports as we all know it and I've seen nothing since then to change that opinion. Granted, Iowa has always been a longshot dark horse to ever win a national championship in MBB or football, but the NIL as it stands now lowers that probability to zero, zilch nada and that will be the case for 90% of D1 football programs and likely 95% of D1 MBB programs going forward without some serious reforms and oversight.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
I see your sentiment a lot, and while I agree with some of it I'd also point out that we just saw Florida Atlantic make the final 4 and then return their entire roster for what will likely be a consensus pre-season top 10 team. And at the same time this offseason Kentucky has only 7 scholarship players on their roster at the moment and are bringing in late 2023 3-star and unranked kids just to fill out their roster depth.
So while NIL is certainly a major factor in recruiting at the moment, I also think it's too early to say that teams can't compete with the top schools of the sport.

when it comes to recruiting people forget that it costs money to go out and recruit. at what point do you simply cut bait and move on.

how many of you go fishing then you know that if your favorite spot is not producing any bites, you pack up and move to the next spot. well this is happening here.

some times you have to move to where the fish are biting, sounds like Nelson isn't even nibbling. so Fran is packing up and is moving to another spot on the stream or river in search of where the fish are biting.

when I was small mouth bass fishing I kept moving from pool to pool. constantly searching, coaching is like fishing you are constantly searching moving from one school to the next and from 1 AAU event to the next. its a never ending search.

Oh, please, enlighten us as to the next fishing spot Fran has moved on to? Sounds like Nelson isn't even nibbling? He cut us out over a week ago. People forget that recruiting costs money? Have you forgotten to stay hydrated?

I see your sentiment a lot, and while I agree with some of it I'd also point out that we just saw Florida Atlantic make the final 4 and then return their entire roster for what will likely be a consensus pre-season top 10 team. And at the same time this offseason Kentucky has only 7 scholarship players on their roster at the moment and are bringing in late 2023 3-star and unranked kids just to fill out their roster depth.
So while NIL is certainly a major factor in recruiting at the moment, I also think it's too early to say that teams can't compete with the top schools of the sport.
Just find a sugar daddy or sugar momma! Then buy the needed players. The future of "college" sports.

I saw today that Nelson would be choosing either today or tomorrow. Did he even visit Iowa? Sound like Bama of Arkansas. Bama lean

Where does Bama get all their money?
They have had under the table funding for decades, just like other SEC teams. NIL just makes it legal now. ‘Bama has many well heeled businessmen who have come aboard, as far back as Bear Bryant. Unfortunately, Iowa has never generated the same level of support.

Alabama: Paul Bryant Jr.
Bryant is Alabama royalty: His father was Bear Bryant, the legendary Crimson Tide coach. The younger Bryant became a successful businessman, owning dog tracks that grossed millions and selling several businesses (including a cement company) for hundreds of millions. His reinsurance company, Alabama Reassurance, was implicated in a felony insurance fraud case, though Bryant came out personally unscathed. Bryant has donated more than $20 million to Crimson Tide football, and he’s currently the president of Alabama’s Board of Trustees.

• Wow
Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Krikke led the MVC in scoring while Nelson played in the Summit League which is a notch below the MVC if not 2 in the pecking order of the Mid Majors.

Nelson at 6'11 he would give Fran more depth at the true 5 vs a 6'9 5. I am still hoping that Mulvey takes the same type of step that Olaseni did as a JR. then took a even bigger step forward his SR year,

Gabe's SO stats
10.7 mpg
2,7 ppg
2,6 rpg
1.0 bpg

JR Stats
16.7 mpg
6.5 ppg
4.9 rpg
1.3 bpg

SR Stats
18.6 mpg
8.1 ppg 3rd on the team
4.8 rpg
1.6 bpg 54 total blocks while Uthoff also avg 1.6 bpg with 56 total blocks.

each year he improved. if Mulvey improves his last 2 years like Olaseni did that will satisfy me, not everyone can be like Garza and unforetunatly many are judging Mulvey to Garza which is unfornately fair to have happen which is why other bigs want no part of. they want to be judged on their own merits

until posters realize this, it is going to be hard for Fran to get another Big.

Bryant is Alabama royalty: His father was Bear Bryant, the legendary Crimson Tide coach. The younger Bryant became a successful businessman, owning dog tracks that grossed millions and selling several businesses (including a cement company) for hundreds of millions. His reinsurance company, Alabama Reassurance, was implicated in a felony insurance fraud case, though Bryant came out personally unscathed. Bryant has donated more than $20 million to Crimson Tide football, and he’s currently the president of Alabama’s Board of Trustees.
Tells you a lot about the integrity of Bama and other SEC sports.

sounds like a place frank garza would work.

• Haha
Reactions: Iafootballfan

I say we just force these highly-sought after recruits to come to Iowa and if they want any money, then they will get the loose change we fans find off the street and they're gonna f***ing like it, deal with it, and play hard regardless so that we win the national championship...............

Yeah?

I think the swarm understands how to spend its funds currently to achieve the greatest payback in Iowa athletics.

I think the swarm understands how to spend its funds currently to achieve the greatest payback in Iowa athletics.
I think the Swarm is doing a good job of trying to build a good structure that has a steady source of income (the collective side). Where they seem to be lacking is getting local businesses to buy-in to sponsorship opportunities specifically for basketball. That seems to be the disconnect--it isn't the Swarm that is funding "only" football, the Swarm itself just cuts a flat check to all athletes. Where football is differing is they clearly have some Swarm Inc support that basketball does not currently have--that's what helped football in the portal.
There's also been some reporting on how basketball players are just costing more money per player. I wonder how much Swarm Inc support for basketball was spent just to ensure that Perkins, Sandfort, and the other returning players are kept content. Retaining the entire roster sans Ulis is pretty impressive in 2023 and I can't imagine they accomplished that for free.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Yeah well someone needs to tell Nelson to change his got dam mind and go to Iowa so we can win a National f***ing Championship.........

Angry Parks And Recreation GIF by PeacockTV

• Love
Reactions: Franisdaman
What is your prediction for the season?
20+ wins overall
11+ wins in BT play

and they could win more depending on how fast they come together as a team.

this team has the pieces to have a complete 5 on 5 practice with 5 players on the bench ready to fill in.
this is my 2 deeps
SO 6'2 Bowen FR 6'1 Harding at the 1/pg
SR 6'4 Perkins SO 6'5 Dix at the 2/SG
RSSR 6'9 Patrick JR 6'7 Sanfort at the 3/SF
JR 6'9 Brauns FR 6'9 Dembele at the 4/PF
SR 6'9 Krikke FR 6'11 Freeman at the 5/C

with these off the bench
JR 6'11 Mulvey 5
FR 6'7 Sanfort 3-4
JR 6'5 Lakata 2-3
SO 6'4 Kingsbury 2-3
RSFR 6'2 Nimmers CG.

this group should have some very interesting practice settings. finally a very deep roster to keep injuries in check.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
20+ wins overall
11+ wins in BT play

and they could win more depending on how fast they come together as a team.

this team has the pieces to have a complete 5 on 5 practice with 5 players on the bench ready to fill in.
this is my 2 deeps
SO 6'2 Bowen FR 6'1 Harding at the 1/pg
SR 6'4 Perkins SO 6'5 Dix at the 2/SG
RSSR 6'9 Patrick JR 6'7 Sanfort at the 3/SF
JR 6'9 Brauns FR 6'9 Dembele at the 4/PF
SR 6'9 Krikke FR 6'11 Freeman at the 5/C

with these off the bench
JR 6'11 Mulvey 5
FR 6'7 Sanfort 3-4
JR 6'5 Lakata 2-3
SO 6'4 Kingsbury 2-3
RSFR 6'2 Nimmers CG.

this group should have some very interesting practice settings. finally a very deep roster to keep injuries in check.
As of now, I am expecting the starting lineup to be Perkins, Dix, Patrick, Payton, and Krikke.
That can obviously change throughout the offseason, but I'm guessing Iowa plays smaller next year in most matchups.

When you hear Nick Saban, with his pockets stuffed with cash to hand out as party favors, bitching about the current system, you know it's screwed up.
Saban hates it because he has competition buying players. I don't take his negativity towards the NIL as a sign of how screwed up it is. I like the NIL in its current format. The individuals who built the machine finally have the control of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT