ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Cal Baptist match thread

133 pounds: Brody Teske dec. Hunter Leake (CBU), 6-4​

First period: Teske hits a low shot halfway through the period that leads to a lengthy exchange until a stalemate is called with 33 seconds left. Teske nearly has a cradle locked up as time expires. No scoring in the first.

Second period: Leake starts on the bottom to start the period and escapes in 49 seconds for a 1-0 lead. Teske gets on the board with a takedown but Leake hits his head during the exchange so medical personnel is evaluating the situation. No injury time. Concussion evaluation. Action resumes with 49 seconds remaining in the period and Teske rides out.

Third period: Action begins in the neutral position and Teske takes advantage with a takedown and a 4-1 lead. Locked hands by Teske gives Leake a point, which cuts the lead in half. A reversal by Leake makes it 4-4 but Teske has riding time locked. An intentional escape by Leake makes the score 5-4 and neither scores. Teske wins 6-4 with riding time.

Iowa 33, CBU 3

141 pounds: Drew Bennett (Iowa) major dec. Edison Alinas (CBU), 16-5​

First period: Bennett gets on the board with a takedown in the first 15 seconds. An escape by Aliinas cuts the lead in half. Bennett scores on a low shot for a 4-1 lead halfway through the period. Alinas escapes with one minute left to cut the lead in half again. A high crotch by Alinas at the end of the period is countered by Bennett. Bennett leads, 6-2 at the break but officials are reviewing the call. The call stands.

Second period: Alinas start on the bottom and escapes to cut the lead in half yet again. Bennett scores another takedown for an 8-3 lead. Bennett earns a stalling point against Alinas as he rides out the remainder of the period.

Third period: Bennett escapes in 10 seconds and gets another takedown for an 11-3 lead. An escape by Alinas with a minute to go makes it 11-4 but another takedown and escape and takedown makes it 15-5. Bennett rides out the remainder of the period and wins 16-5 with riding time.

Iowa 37, CBU 3

149 pounds: Max Murin (Iowa) tech. fall Chaz Hallmark (CBU), 24-9​

First period: Murin takedown to a cradle for two and two but Hallmark reverses and Hallmark gets six out of the exchange for a 6-4 lead. Murin escapes and gets a takedown for a 7-6 lead at the break.

Second period: Murin starts down and escapes and gets a takedown for a 10-6 lead with 1:27 to go. Murin intentionally releases Hallmark and gets another takedown for a 12-7 lead. A Hallmark escape makes it 12-8 but another takedown to a turn gives Murin an 18-8 lead at the break.

Third period: An escape by Hallmark makes it 18-9. Stall warning on Hallmark with 1:10 to go and Murin scores a few seconds later and goes into a Turk and four nearfall for a 24-9 tech.

Iowa 42, CBU 3

Are there any match being wrestled or what???? someone throw us a bone!!!!
Hawks won 42-3. Murin wrapped up the meet with a 24-9 tech fall. Got 8 back points on two separate Turks.

Drew Bennet got a major. He looked pretty solid, had some nice attacks.

Teske won a narrow decision…I wanna say 6-4 with riding time. This was honestly the most competitive match of the dual meet.

Aiden Harris our 125 got ridden pretty good and was in danger of giving up a major until the CBU wrestler inexplicably slapped him. Harris also got out from bottom right at the buzzer. Good fight from Harris.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
157: Siebrecht looked good
165: Kennedy looked good
174: Rhodes looked good (never seen him wrestle before)
184: Assad looked "pedestrian"
197: Warner looked great
285: Cass looked great
125: Harris looked like a rag doll (never even heard of him before)
133: Teske looked average
141: Bennett looked good (never seen him wrestle before)
149: Murin didn't have a great match today, had to work hard for that

Assad, Teske, and Murin seem to have a hard time with clean finishes...they get "latched onto" or stalemated...burned up a lot of clock.

Nice job by Marinelli & Young on BTN+.

Good to see the new blood. Glad the season has started.

Assad, Teske, and Murin seem to have a hard time with clean finishes...they get "latched onto" or stalemated...burned up a lot of clock.

I agree with everything except Murin. He was steamrolling and looking to go up 6-0 when he got a little overzealous with the cradle, which can and does happen to anyone.

From there on out he dominated. How often do you see a techfall following an 8-6 1st period? He outscored Hallmark 18-3 over the next two periods and tallied 4 TDs and two separate 4 point near falls off turks.

Max wrestled the final five minutes exactly how he should, by beating the shit out of his opponent. I thought it was a GREAT response to early adversity.

Assad may have “looked” that way but note his win over that guy was nearly identical score wise to AA Marcus Coleman and that same opponent.

Assad may have “looked” that way but note his win over that guy was nearly identical score wise to AA Marcus Coleman and that same opponent.
Mentioned earlier, but CBU kid is a Buffalo transfer. I believe he was about 15-13 last season. We’d like to see Abe dominate, but kid at least had some survival skills and decent defense.

Harris showed good composure and let the ref take control of their whoever 25 pounder who has got some growing up to do. Looked like his coach physically shoved him out of Carver arena and was not entertained with the antics.

Assad just doesn't look like a winner and have no idea what the jr high kid was doing at 25

Mentioned earlier, but CBU kid is a Buffalo transfer. I believe he was about 15-13 last season. We’d like to see Abe dominate, but kid at least had some survival skills and decent defense.
Acciardi is a funky kid. He has a weird style and is like a fire hydrant. He was a nationally ranked kid during HS. He won a NJ state title at 220 he was also a runner up

Tarp, I'm usually in step with you but never have I ever seen a guy put up 24 points and someone say he didn't have a great match. 6 TDs and 10 NF points is pretty freaking strong no matter who you're up against.

My take away today is that it was nice to see turns and pins again. At the end of last year we had a team that was being held together with every piece of tape in the training room. Today we looked strong and mean minus a few weights.

If Bull and Young are correct the guy that Abe wrestled kept it close with Coleman from ISU last night so maybe he's just a level 5 clinger who makes it difficult to score. Abe did look more aggressive today so that is a bonus.

So how'd these two do on the call?
I thought they did a great job. I wouldn’t be upset if we saw more of them this year. A little rough on their transitions but very good. Ky did more of the pbp and Bull was more commentary. I think it helps that they know the wrestlers so well. They were able to talk about the ties that The Iowa wrestlers were good at.

I’d give them an 8/10 certainly better than most away meets announcers imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrod65
Tarp, I'm usually in step with you but never have I ever seen a guy put up 24 points and someone say he didn't have a great match. 6 TDs and 10 NF points is pretty freaking strong no matter who you're up against.

My take away today is that it was nice to see turns and pins again. At the end of last year we had a team that was being held together with every piece of tape in the training room. Today we looked strong and mean minus a few weights.

If Bull and Young are correct the guy that Abe wrestled kept it close with Coleman from ISU last night so maybe he's just a level 5 clinger who makes it difficult to score. Abe did look more aggressive today so that is a bonus.
If that's aggressive, Assad and Teske are the most aggressive guys in the big 10, Really?

125- Harris is a Juco walk on and not sure he even placed at Juco so it is what it is. Considering the CB guy beat terukina the other night and terukina bear Wisconsin Harris hung in there. Where is Ybarra?

133- ok first match for Teske. The CB guy is one of their better wrestlers and beat Redding from ISU who just beat Lamont of Wisconsin.

141- I thought Bennett had a nice showing for himself.

149- Besides the slip to his back trying to pin Max looked great. Lots of offense. ISU was up like 4-2 going into the 3rd vs that guy.

157- CB guy is awful so hard to judge. I'm not sure Siebrecht is strong enough for 157.

165- workman like. A bit ho hum.

174- Rhodes had a nice showing for a true freshman in his 1st match.

184- see 165.

197- Warner ready to roll. Loved it!

285- took care of business.

Reactions: Trapper85
Assad just doesn't look like a winner and have no idea what the jr high kid was doing at 25

He’s a backup who didn’t even place in JUCO last year. For Christ’s sake

anchorman stay classy GIF

Walk out songs, I missed some.

"Iron man" Abe Assad
"Fat bottomed girls" Warner
"Gods Gonna Cut you down" Cass
"Yeah!" (by Usher) Bennett
"Ice ice baby" Murin

Last edited:
Saw who I assume was Rhodes family go nuts in the front row. Momma was jumping up and down. Love those moments! Sounds like it was a lifelong dream to go to Iowa. Went to all the camps coming from Montana. And to go out as a true freshman and get a win in carver must be an out of this world experience.

Other than almost getting pinned by a guy ranked #68, it was a great match.

He’s a backup who didn’t even place in JUCO last year. For Christ’s sake

anchorman stay classy GIF
FYI, according to his bio he placed 4th at JUCO last year. I think everyone understands he's not a blue-chip recruit. And yet...he put on the Iowa singlet. He's gotta earn it and own it.

Q1: What's up with Ybarra? Can he still make 125? He looked good in his last match against Okie St last year.

Q2: Can Ayala wrestle up to 5 matches this year without burning his shirt?

FYI, according to his bio he placed 4th at JUCO last year. I think everyone understands he's not a blue-chip recruit. And yet...he put on the Iowa singlet. He's gotta earn it and own it.

Q1: What's up with Ybarra? Can he still make 125? He looked good in his last match against Okie St last year.

I think he placed 2 years ago. No Ayala can't wrestle without burning his RS. That rule only applies to true freshman

He placed 4th in JC two years ago. He didn't qualify last year. Regardless, I wouldn't expect the #4 JC guy to be a factor at the D1 level. And, even more importantly, talking crap about him is completely inappropriate. He's a Hawkeye, as you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT