ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Wrestling

How many JuCo programs are there? Ten? Unless there are absolute holes in the roster and given the relative lack of competition at the college level, they'd be better off focusing on long term depth than a fast start.

My daughter is a JUCO women's wrestler. Iowa seeing the light and starting a women's program makes me happy. Indian Hills Community College has a pretty solid JUCO program. Might fill in some holes. Especially as HS womens wrestling is new or non-existent in most areas. Filling out a roster is first then filling in quality and depth is second. Well done Iowa!

Last edited:
How many JuCo programs are there? Ten? Unless there are absolute holes in the roster and given the relative lack of competition at the college level, they'd be better off focusing on long term depth than a fast start.
I don't claim to know a damned thing about NIL. That said, I would think if they are able to build a good amount of hype around the program the first year or two, the NIL will enable the team to spread and move scholly money around in a much freer way to get more than what would have been the case a couple years ago.

Just a thought

Met my first lady wrestler from california. She is wrestling for waldorf in forest city. Never had a clue they had womens wrestling on forest city.

So what weights have yet to be covered? Anyone have list?
101- E.Gonzalez, B.Gonzalez
109- N. Valencia
116- E.Schmit
123-
130-
136-
143- R.Larramendy
155-
170- K.Welker
191-
See above...although, perhaps these lighter weights could slide down one spot something like this:
101 - E Gonzalez
109 - B. Gonzalez
116 - N. Valencia
123 - E. Schmit

Also we are in the running for Faith Cole who is a 106 now...if she joins, perhaps she competes with N. Valencia or one of the Gonzalez twins for one of those first 3 spots? I think at least for now, women's teams can field 2 per weight at tournaments, but I could be mistaken.

See above...although, perhaps these lighter weights could slide down one spot something like this:
101 - E Gonzalez
109 - B. Gonzalez
116 - N. Valencia
123 - E. Schmit

Also we are in the running for Faith Cole who is a 106 now...if she joins, perhaps she competes with N. Valencia or one of the Gonzalez twins for one of those first 3 spots? I think at least for now, women's teams can field 2 per weight at tournaments, but I could be mistaken.
Would be nice to get Cole. As E. Gonzalez is only ranked 15 at 106 and Cole is ranked #4. Valencia went 112 at state and lost in the final to the #3 112 who is a sophomore. The women are wrestling unattached next year so while it would be nice to have all the weights filled you have this years juniors to choose from as well to possibly be in that first live lineup. And it would be good to try and spread the talent out by age some. Also now that women's wrestling has really exploded you are going to see a big leap in talent level in the younger grades coming up. Already a lot of highly ranked sophs and freshman. The talent numbers available coming out of highschool is going to be way higher than the college opportunities for a while so a lot of very good wrestlers to choose from. National tournaments will be important to compare talent. Would be nice to add a college weight higher than 191, maybe 205 or 210. I'd guess we will eventually have around 30 in the room.

Any of the heavier weights showing interest?
Maybe this is where having a named assistant would be helpful...any chance we could get Adeline Gray? I know she's pregnant with twins, and I speculate that her days of competing are behind her. If there were interest from both Chun and Grey, she'd be a dynamite hire IMO and would be an immediate draw for blue chip upper weights. Would love to get either her or Maroulis on board.

Maybe this is where having a named assistant would be helpful...any chance we could get Adeline Gray? I know she's pregnant with twins, and I speculate that her days of competing are behind her. If there were interest from both Chun and Grey, she'd be a dynamite hire IMO and would be an immediate draw for blue chip upper weights. Would love to get either her or Maroulis on board.

Just speculation on my end, but I would not be surprised to see Victoria Francis in an assistant role for Iowa in the near future. Her transitioning to coaching full time after the '24 Olympic cycle makes a lot of sense to me anyway...

So here's what the Hawkeye women's team has so far:
109- N. Valencia
116- E.Schmit, A.Bayless
123-
130- N.Estrella
136-
143- R.Larramendy, B.Mir
155-
170- K.Welker
191- S.Calkins

Who am I missing, and who does anyone have in mind for 123, 136, and 155? Obviously, some things may get sorted out in the wrestling room. We will need contenders at every weight.

Reactions: AFHawk86
So here's what the Hawkeye women's team has so far:
109- N. Valencia
116- E.Schmit, A.Bayless
123-
130- N.Estrella
136-
143- R.Larramendy, B.Mir
155-
170- K.Welker
191- S.Calkins

Who am I missing, and who does anyone have in mind for 123, 136, and 155? Obviously, some things may get sorted out in the wrestling room. We will need contenders at every weight.

That's everyone that has committed so far.

Hopefully coach Chun can keep up the Cali pipeline as there are some hammers graduating. Katie Gomez would be a huge get. She is #4pfp & #1@122. Both her and Jennifer Soto(#23pfp & #2@122) have visited, so there is interest.

No idea on Amit Elor's(#2pfp & #1 @152) interest level, but would be a monster pick up for 155. If not her, there is a ton of younger talent at the weight. #2 is a jr, #3 a so, #4 a fr.

Some personal favorites would be the Cassioppi sisters(obviously). For some in state talent, would be happy to see Lily Luft and Eva Diaz.

And can't forget about transfers either. Still waiting to hear if Emma Bruntil is coming to Iowa. Would imagine that if she does, it will push one or both of Mir/Larramendy to 155.

That's everyone that has committed so far.

Hopefully coach Chun can keep up the Cali pipeline as there are some hammers graduating. Katie Gomez would be a huge get. She is #4pfp & #1@122. Both her and Jennifer Soto(#23pfp & #2@122) have visited, so there is interest.

No idea on Amit Elor's(#2pfp & #1 @152) interest level, but would be a monster pick up for 155. If not her, there is a ton of younger talent at the weight. #2 is a jr, #3 a so, #4 a fr.

Some personal favorites would be the Cassioppi sisters(obviously). For some in state talent, would be happy to see Lily Luft and Eva Diaz.

And can't forget about transfers either. Still waiting to hear if Emma Bruntil is coming to Iowa. Would imagine that if she does, it will push one or both of Mir/Larramendy to 155.
Of note that Eva Diaz committed to Grand View last October. It’s also where her sister is currently at.

Reactions: jrod65
ADVERTISEMENT