ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wrestling and gambling

bammhawk1

HR Heisman
May 16, 2009
Doc was saying on the radio today that Iowa Wrestling was the program that is going to be hit the hardest. I thought it was Clown wrestling that was going to be hit hard?

Last edited:
Doc was saying on the radio today that Iowa Wrestling was the program for Iowa that is going to be hit the hardest. I thought it was Clown wrestling that was going to be hit hard?
I'm not going to mention names, but some of our wrestlers have more $$$ to gamble than others.

The Iowa vs ISU dual in December is gonna be, let's just say, interesting.
At least if ISU wins, we can put an asterisk by the final score.

Reactions: el dub
Wasn’t Joe Slaton charged initially with the big Napster scam back in the day? That blew over quickly. If there are charges involved in this I don’t think it goes away very quickly. And after the pill scandal in MN they made an example of JRob. It’s been a crappy last 45 days. Praying for clear and sunny forecasts.

I'm not going to mention names, but some of our wrestlers have more $$$ to gamble than others.

The Iowa vs ISU dual in December is gonna be, let's just say, interesting.
At least if ISU wins, we can put an asterisk by the final score.
Ugh, not liking how this sounds.

Reactions: blcoach80
What a stupid, stupid way to hurt yourself and the program. Hopefully its all "room guys."

Betting on dual meets would be so easy if you knew which guys were wrestling vs sitting.

The Iowa v ISU meet was a coin flip since we didnt know if Spencer and Woods were wrestling. If you had that information ahead of time, it would've been a VERY easy call.

Reactions: Gutt15
they weren’t betting on wrestling. i heard it was ufc
IIRC, NCAA athletes are only barred from betting on sports that NCAA holds competitions in.. UFC does not seem to be the same as collegiate wrestling or anything NCAA sponsors, so I would not expect that be an issue.

If a wrestler was betting on their own sport, let alone team, I'd expect them to be done permanently. If they were betting on Iowa events (like women's championship game) I'd expect a full season.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, last year a Virginia football player was initially handed a 3/4 season suspension for placing bets on the NBA finals. He made over 100 bets, between $1-$5, for a total of 400, and won $41. He self reported, and after appeal he missed half a season.

The whole thing seems pretty antiquated now.. obviously betting on your own game - which you could obviously impact - can't be allowed. I understand your own sport, or even own university - which you may have insider knowledge of, but so could lots of other students that aren't athletes; or even all collegiate events.

But with modern app based gambling, you can't go into debt to a bookie, and all your bets are tracked and analyzed for anomalies (which is how the Alabama baseball coach got caught.. and maybe rippled into the Iowa stuff?)

All that said, the players should have known it was against the rules, so its on them, unfortunately

Can't take a joke? Lighten up Francis.
Oh, rally?

Confused Head Scratch GIF by State Farm

IIRC, NCAA athletes are only barred from betting on sports that NCAA holds competitions in.. UFC does not seem to be the same as collegiate wrestling or anything NCAA sponsors, so I would not expect that be an issue.

If a wrestler was betting on their own sport, let alone team, I'd expect them to be done permanently. If they were betting on Iowa events (like women's championship game) I'd expect a full season.

In case anyone is unfamiliar, last year a Virginia football player was initially handed a 3/4 season suspension for placing bets on the NBA finals. He made over 100 bets, between $1-$5, for a total of 400, and won $41. He self reported, and after appeal he missed half a season.

The whole thing seems pretty antiquated now.. obviously betting on your own game - which you could obviously impact - can't be allowed. I understand your own sport, or even own university - which you may have insider knowledge of, but so could lots of other students that aren't athletes; or even all collegiate events.

But with modern app based gambling, you can't go into debt to a bookie, and all your bets are tracked and analyzed for anomalies (which is how the Alabama baseball coach got caught.. and maybe rippled into the Iowa stuff?)

All that said, the players should have known it was against the rules, so its on them, unfortunately

might be right on the ufc thing. i don’t know the rules

My reading of NCAA rules/regulations.

NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes and (department employees) from betting on any sport (amatuer or professional) for which the NCAA sponsors a championship. In addition...

The NCAA prohibits (betting) as follows. On-line; Super Bowl Squares; pools; live in-game; fantasy leagues; calcuttas; sports-betting apps (on-line); March Madness Brackets; et al.

It certainy appears that NCAA rules prohibit just about every gaming activity that I can imagine. Athletes' participation in all forms of gaming activity is discouraged by the NCAA.

Reactions: eb05
My reading of NCAA rules/regulations.

NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes and (department employees) from betting on any sport (amatuer or professional) for which the NCAA sponsors a championship. In addition...

The NCAA prohibits (betting) as follows. On-line; Super Bowl Squares; pools; live in-game; fantasy leagues; calcuttas; sports-betting apps (on-line); March Madness Brackets; et al.

It certainy appears that NCAA rules prohibit just about every gaming activity that I can imagine. Athletes' participation in all forms of gaming activity is discouraged by the NCAA.

it is amazing to me that the ncaa can consistently write rules that are confusing as hell. so it would seem ufc is banned if done through the app?

Reactions: Gutt15
Putting a few bets down on some weekend duals has been great, but losing Cody Goodwin will hurt. I would hold out on an Iowa wager until he posted the probables. It was a beautiful set-up. Also, wrestling lost a great journalist period with Goodwin leaving.

Putting a few bets down on some weekend duals has been great, but losing Cody Goodwin will hurt. I would hold out on an Iowa wager until he posted the probables. ...
hmmmmm, that's seems an even bet!

Putting a few bets down on some weekend duals has been great, but losing Cody Goodwin will hurt. I would hold out on an Iowa wager until he posted the probables. It was a beautiful set-up. Also, wrestling lost a great journalist period with Goodwin leaving.
Where did he go?

Wasn’t Joe Slaton charged initially with the big Napster scam back in the day? That blew over quickly. If there are charges involved in this I don’t think it goes away very quickly. And after the pill scandal in MN they made an example of JRob. It’s been a crappy last 45 days. Praying for clear and sunny forecasts.
Pill scandal was a whole different level of fiasco.

He was great for the sport/state, even if he was a Mizzou guy.. :)

Damn that's a bummer, but good for him. Loved his coverage. Hope the Register keeps it up with someone else.

Bummer for the sport and Iowa, but damn, great opportunity.
Agree — Cody was a good one. I always liked and appreciated his coverage, even from my outsider’s seat. Seemed like an objective guy who stuck to the facts.

Guessing this will be thrown out since no names have been mentioned
No, this is very much still going to be a thing.

The problem, apparently, is that the Iowa DCI is sitting on this case as they are still completing their investigation before they "officially" turn everything they have both into the State for any legal prosecution, the Universities so that they can take any further action, and then the f***ing NCAA..........

This thing won't be resolved before football season starts. Watch.

Reactions: el dub and MitchLL
No, this is very much still going to be a thing.

The problem, apparently, is that the Iowa DCI is sitting on this case as they are still completing their investigation before they "officially" turn everything they have both into the State for any legal prosecution, the Universities so that they can take any further action, and then the f***ing NCAA..........

This thing won't be resolved before football season starts. Watch.
Do we know what case this is tied to? I’ve read that no athlete gambled on their sport or team, at the same time I’ve read that this all steems from an investigation from an illegal activity. Meaning criminal, not just an ncaa violation.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT