ADVERTISEMENT

Is Clark the greatest Hawkeye of all time?

Is Clark the greatest Hawkeye of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 90 57.0%
  • No

Votes: 50 31.6%
  • OP is an idiot.

Votes: 18 11.4%

• Total voters
Clark is phenomenal player and entertainer.
However, she is playing a team sport and is yet to make an elite 8.
Someone earlier said Clark and Megan were widely different but successful players.
Clark cannot be the GOAT until she puts her team on her back when it matters the most.
BJ Armstrong is in discussion not for points or assists, but winning.
Hopefully in a month, this will be an easy yes.

Someone earlier said Clark and Megan were widely different but successful players.
Clark cannot be the GOAT until she puts her team on her back when it matters the most.
Honestly....what did BJ win? What did BJ win that #22 hasn't?

Garza competes against everyone just like every other team sport, not just other big guys. The competition pool isn't even comparable, if you can't comprehend this then you might be a wrestling homer.

They have weight classes for a reason. He would get manhandled if he had to compete against everyone like most sports do. It's just an apples and oranges comparison. Best ever at whipping other 125 lb tiny guys, that's where it ends
And if Garza had to play only as a point guard he would suck. If you can't comprehend that then you might be a basketball homer. He's a center and occupies a very small percentage of the population in height, a smaller percentage than Spencer's.

More irrelevancy.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I think Caitlin is further above her peers than Spencer is. That's saying something with the dominance Spencer is exhibiting this year.

Caitlin has athleticism and talent that's not been seen in women's basketball much. I can only think of someone like Cheryl Miller who was that far above her peers in her days.

Women's basketball is also now popular than wrestling so that helps Clark's cause.
No way. Spencer is pinning #2,#3,#4 in the country in the first period. Clark is amazing but to be similar Iowa would have beaten Indiana by 50. Not needing a last second 3.

Ok best at 125...You're obviously a wrestling person per avatar but if you have to resort to Russia because few non wrestling fan Americans know who he is that isn't a great argument. What percentage of men in the US are small enough to even make 125....like 5 pct? And then what percent of the overall population gets into wrestling? It's small. Quick google search says there are 78 D1 wrestling programs and 358/350 men's and women's D1 bastketball teams.

He's incredible and GOAT Hawkeye wrestler but I haven't seen one highlight of him or even heard him mentioned on any of the major national sports networks outside of BTN.

That's far from the case with CC. I've seen them lead off Sportscenter with her highlights twice and Iowa highlights are shown regularly because of her. Team sports that have massive amounts of participants and big chunks of the population are fans are just different. No disrespect to Spencer
When talking about the greatest Hawk ever, what difference does it make the kind of publicity they get? We’re talking about being the greatest, not the most popular. Spencer Lee, if he gets his 4th this year, will do something only 4 other guys have ever done! Add to that his 3 hodge trophies (he will get a 3rd this yr if he wins his 4th title), and the fact he’s been hurt pretty much his whole career. Spencer is in the conversation of greatest wrestler EVER, not just greatest Hawkeye wrestler!
Caitlin Clark is without a doubt the greatest Hawkeye wbb player ever, and maybe she is the greatest Hawk?, but im not willing to say she is just because she’s on Sportscenter and has nba players tweeting about her.

Lost in elite 8 to UNLV in 87.
I didn’t say BJ was best, but just an example of accomplishment Clark still needs on resume.
What #22 has done as a player has never been approached by a basketballer at UIowa in my lifetime....BJ had a whole lotta help getting to that Elite 8.....and BJ was a helluva ballplayer.......he just cant match Caitlan's individual accomplishments/numbers...and she has a bit to go, too.....And there is no shame in that. #22 is something we (Iowa fans) have never seen before.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Here's one of your inaccurate ones:
Not inaccurate and it has nothing to do with Spencer or his accomplishments. It has to do with the sport he participates in. Look. I get it. You're a wrestling fan. Spencer is a great wrestler. Maybe one of the best ever, certainly at Iowa. If he were in a sport that got attention outside of the Midwest he'd be a lot more well known by the college sports fan. The vast majority of universities outside the midwest don't even field wrestlers, hence the lack of attention. It's all about football and basketball. Hell I'm in Kauai and they were playing back the ends of Sunday's games on ESPN last night.

What #22 has done as a player has never been approached by a basketballer at UIowa in my lifetime....BJ had a whole lotta help getting to that Elite 8.....and BJ was a helluva ballplayer.......he just cant match Caitlan's individual accomplishments/numbers...and she has a bit to go, too.....And there is no shame in that. #22 is something we (Iowa fans) have never seen before.
Luka Garza’s junior and senior years were dam close. Should have won npoty both those years. Caitlin being a guard, having the ball in her hands 90% of the time, drilling 3’s from the logo and making some spectacular passes make her prime time entertainment. But luka garza flat dominated games his last 2 years. Caitlins #’s are better, but luka wasn’t far behind those 2 years. This is more a response directed at your last sentence.

Not inaccurate and it has nothing to do with Spencer or his accomplishments. It has to do with the sport he participates in. Look. I get it. You're a wrestling fan. Spencer is a great wrestler. Maybe one of the best ever, certainly at Iowa. If he were in a sport that got attention outside of the Midwest he'd be a lot more well known by the college sports fan. The vast majority of universities outside the midwest don't even field wrestlers, hence the lack of attention. It's all about football and basketball. Hell I'm in Kauai and they were playing back the ends of Sunday's games on ESPN last night.
Goodness, your ignorance on this is staggering. Easily, most of the universities that have D1 wrestling are outside the Midwest, with the hot spot being to the east of Ohio.

You'll never get the answer right, because to you it's all about what gets the most attention on TV, an absurd standard when it comes to the greatest Iowa athlete ever. As I said, the Sullivan award went to Spencer Lee, the nation's top amateur athlete regardless of sport, an awareness vastly beyond yours.

I'll let you have the last word with this. You simply don't know enough to engage further, and, worse, have inferior criteria standards. Just sit out there out on your island in the most isolated part of the earth, and let your select ESPN highlights be your ultimate standard to what is Iowa's best athlete ever, lol.

Last edited:
Just noticed that you put BJ in the discussion. I like BJ a lot, but he isn't close to being the GOAT, except maybe on his particular team at the time he played, and that is debatable.

The only reason women's basketball is routinely on an ESPN highlight reel is because of Caitlin Clark. It has zero to do with the popularity of the sport (women's basketball) as compared to wrestling. Just watch what happens when she is gone or when teams with players not named CC are involved. Is Caitlin Clark more recognizable because of ESPN type highlights - absolutely. But is she the superior athlete/greatest Hawkeye, in my opinion no. I would also argue that Spencer is more recognizable world wide because of the popularity of wrestling in so many countries. When she is given a nickname from a country like Russia that is probably the most dominant in the world in the sport, I'll reconsider.

No way. Spencer is pinning #2,#3,#4 in the country in the first period. Clark is amazing but to be similar Iowa would have beaten Indiana by 50. Not needing a last second 3.
Completely different thing. Clark is on a team...not competing as an individual. She's head and shoulders above other players and something we have never really seen before.

Spencer is amazing but we have seen that level of excellence before with Sanderson amongst others. Gable Steveson just last year.

So I do think Caitlin not only has a larger gap between her opponents talent level than Spencer does but she plays in a sport that gets a lot more mainstream coverage.

Completely different thing. Clark is on a team...not competing as an individual. She's head and shoulders above other players and something we have never really seen before.

Spencer is amazing but we have seen that level of excellence before with Sanderson amongst others. Gable Steveson just last year.

So I do think Caitlin not only has a larger gap between her opponents talent level than Spencer does but she plays in a sport that gets a lot more mainstream coverage.
If you think CC is "head and shoulders" above Paige Bueckers, Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones and even Joens (Iowa State) and Berger (Indiana) you obviously don't truly watch the games and just showing local bias and seeing sports center highlights.

Goodness, your ignorance on this is staggering. Easily, most of the universities that have D1 wrestling are outside the Midwest, with the hot spot being to the east of Ohio.

You'll never get the answer right, because to you it's all about what gets the most attention on TV, and absurd standard when it comes to the greatest Iowa athlete ever. As I said, the Sullivan award went to Spencer Lee, the nation's top amateur athlete regardless of sport, an awareness vastly beyond yours.

I'll let you have the last word with this. You simply don't know enough to engage further, and, worse, have inferior criteria standards. Just sit out there out on your island in the most isolated part of the earth, and let your select ESPN highlights be your ultimate standard to what is Iowa's best athlete ever, lol.
I think you are both judging on different criteria. And you are wrong about her not being athletic because she is. Lee is the best 125 obviously and cc is the best women's basketball player. But Caitlin has an edge to national popularity which is part of best athlete. I give the edge to Caitlin just because the popularity she has is higher but i don't want to diminish Lee who will go down as the greatest 125lb wrestler ever. Just that we can have an argument about this is credit to both of them and i don't miss Lee's matches ever. It's very close for me but i have to say Caitlin but Lee is very close. Popularity and sport has to be a consideration also and that's why i give the edge to Caitlin. We don't see Lee on national TV. So although we've had some incredible field hockey players and track stars Lee has raised the popularity of wrestling for iowa but not as much as Caitlin has and i have a feeling she makes more in nil by a long ways.

His winning came at the professional level.
I think you are both judging on different criteria. And you are wrong about her not being athletic because she is. Lee is the best 125 obviously and cc is the best women's basketball player. But Caitlin has an edge to national popularity which is part of best athlete. I give the edge to Caitlin just because the popularity she has is higher but i don't want to diminish Lee who will go down as the greatest 125lb wrestler ever. Just that we can have an argument about this is credit to both of them and i don't miss Lee's matches ever. It's very close for me but i have to say Caitlin but Lee is very close. Popularity and sport has to be a consideration also and that's why i give the edge to Caitlin. We don't see Lee on national TV. So although we've had some incredible field hockey players and track stars Lee has raised the popularity of wrestling for iowa but not as much as Caitlin has and i have a feeling she makes more in nil by a long ways.
Again - popularity and making more NIL money has nothing to do with who the better athlete/greater Hawkeye is. You have and will again see Lee on national tv - and that will be winning his 4th Title to likely go with winning his 3rd Hodge for the most iconic wrestling program, at least arguably, in the country. Along with that you have one National Team title (should have been two but F Covid) and two Big Ten titles. And to say Lee has "raised the popularity of wrestling for Iowa" is really not very educated. Sorry, but Iowa was winning National titles decades ago.

These discussion are always interesting.

Is the GOAT -

- the most talented player of all time?
- the player with the most individual accomplishments?
- the player that took their team the furthest in team competition?

IDK. But CC belongs on the list!

Again - popularity and making more NIL money has nothing to do with who the better athlete/greater Hawkeye is. You have and will again see Lee on national tv - and that will be winning his 4th Title to likely go with winning his 3rd Hodge for the most iconic wrestling program, at least arguably, in the country. Along with that you have one National Team title (should have been two but F Covid) and two Big Ten titles. And to say Lee has "raised the popularity of wrestling for Iowa" is really not very educated. Sorry, but Iowa was winning National titles decades ago.
Popularity has something to do with greatest iowa athlete or we'd be talking about a couple stars from the national championships field hockey teams. And being on national tv once in an entire season shows the difference between women's basketball and wrestling. Do u realize some of the incredible athletes on our field hockey teams that were national champions multiple years? Why are they not in the discussion? Lee is a great athlete and will go down as the beat 125 at Iowa ever. He's absolutely dominant. So is Caitlin. So the real test is what they do with their play/matches which I'd say is about the same. Best player in women's basketball by a ways and best wrestler in the country. Which one gets more eyeballs? CC. No offense to lee as both are generational talent so you have to go to impact and Caitlin has a bigger impact than Lee does. I don't see the argument here. I don't miss a game cc plays or a match Lee wrestles. What seems important to you is wrestling vs basketball. Basketball is just more popular nationally and honestly even in the state.

Reactions: longliveCS40

And i was watching Iowa win National titles years ago. Not sure how old you are but ive been watching Iowa wrestling for 50 years. You sound like a kid

And i was watching Iowa win National titles years ago. Not sure how old you are but ive been watching Iowa wrestling for 50 years. You sound like a kid
Name the 177 pound wrestler for Iowa in 1977 - without looking it up. That will tell you a little something about me. Remember what they say about those who make assumptions.

And tell me - exactly what did I say that would make me seem like a kid? Please be specific.

Name the 177 pound wrestler for Iowa in 1977 - without looking it up. That will tell you a little something about me. Remember what they say about those who make assumptions.
Was it Chris Campbell?

That sounds about right

Bingo - but I was waiting for Bishop to show me how knowledgeable he was on the subject. Considering he said I seemed like a kid and all.
If I knew, then trust me—HE knows, lol

It’s hard to say who’s greatest, when it’s between Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan, so to speak

Both are the greatest at their respective sports, and we get to watch BOTH of them at the same time!

Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who—let’s just sit back and enjoy the moment, shall we?

Reactions: bowlhawk
And tell me - exactly what did I say that would make me seem like a kid? Please be specific.
The way you are trying to argue. It sounds,like my kid. As much respect and props i give to Lee you only praise Lee. That's why it seems to be just a basketball vs wrestling issue for you. I will say again that they are both generational talents and both are dominant in what they do so the only logical thing to consider is what they do for the university as a whole. Which athlete is better can also be which athlete has the biggest impact. Lee is unfortunately limited in his ability just because of how wrestling is set up. Clark makes a bigger impact but I'm also saying that there is an argument for either one. For me Clark has had the biggest impact. It's about the only way i can create a difference. I expect Iowa to have a great chance to win the big again next year and we'll see how they do in the tournament the next 2 years. I haven't missed one Lee match this year and won't. There isn't another 125 lber in the near future that can touch him. And I'll watch every game Clark plays as well. So jmo shouldn't get you to insult me because i disagree with you.

If you think CC is "head and shoulders" above Paige Bueckers, Aliyah Boston, Haley Jones and even Joens (Iowa State) and Berger (Indiana) you obviously don't truly watch the games and just showing local bias and seeing sports center highlights.
I have watched all of them play. The athleticism, ball handling, and especially shooting is on another level with Clark. There's a reason she sells out opposing team arenas and those other girls you mentioned do not.

Popularity has something to do with greatest iowa athlete or we'd be talking about a couple stars from the national championships field hockey teams. And being on national tv once in an entire season shows the difference between women's basketball and wrestling. Do u realize some of the incredible athletes on our field hockey teams that were national champions multiple years? Why are they not in the discussion? Lee is a great athlete and will go down as the beat 125 at Iowa ever. He's absolutely dominant. So is Caitlin. So the real test is what they do with their play/matches which I'd say is about the same. Best player in women's basketball by a ways and best wrestler in the country. Which one gets more eyeballs? CC. No offense to lee as both are generational talent so you have to go to impact and Caitlin has a bigger impact than Lee does. I don't see the argument here. I don't miss a game cc plays or a match Lee wrestles. What seems important to you is wrestling vs basketball. Basketball is just more popular nationally and honestly even in the state.
Lee likely will be the first 4 time national champion at Iowa. He won't be the greatest 125, he will be considered among the greatest of them all, if not the greatest. You saying she is the best player in the women's game "by a ways" tells me you don't really follow the game. Ever heard of Page Bueckers or Aliyah Boston? Maybe Haley Jones? I love CC as a player - she is incredible. But the original question was who is the Greatest Hawkeye - not the most popular or recognizable. And when you can say a field hockey player was a 4 time 1st Team Team All American and winner of the player of the year 3 times and the Sullivan Award Winner as the best amateur athlete, we can continue this discussion. Men's basketball is more popular than wrestling. The women's game, I don't think so.

The way you are trying to argue. It sounds,like my kid. As much respect and props i give to Lee you only praise Lee. That's why it seems to be just a basketball vs wrestling issue for you. I will say again that they are both generational talents and both are dominant in what they do so the only logical thing to consider is what they do for the university as a whole. Which athlete is better can also be which athlete has the biggest impact. Lee is unfortunately limited in his ability just because of how wrestling is set up. Clark makes a bigger impact but I'm also saying that there is an argument for either one. For me Clark has had the biggest impact. It's about the only way i can create a difference. I expect Iowa to have a great chance to win the big again next year and we'll see how they do in the tournament the next 2 years. I haven't missed one Lee match this year and won't. There isn't another 125 lber in the near future that can touch him. And I'll watch every game Clark plays as well. So jmo shouldn't get you to insult me because i disagree with you.
Read all of my comments about CC. I am and always have been a staunch supporter of hers. You just don't like it because I called you out on your inaccuracies and thinking popularity equals greatness. And you didn't write down anything specific. Just that your feelings may have been hurt.

Read all of my comments about CC. I am and always have been a staunch supporter of hers. You just don't like it because I called you out on your inaccuracies and thinking popularity equals greatness. And you didn't write down anything specific. Just that your feelings may have been hurt.
No, my feelings aren't hurt and honestly we shouldn't even be arguing over this. I'm just grateful they are both Hawkeyes. And i change my pick to Nile Kinnick. Lol.

I have watched all of them play. The athleticism, ball handling, and especially shooting is on another level with Clark. There's a reason she sells out opposing team arenas and those other girls you mentioned do not.
If you think CC is a better "athlete" than really any one of those I referenced, you aren't watching with anything but Hawkeye colored glasses. She is more exciting because of her long range shooting, constantly attacking, and passing. She simply is not a better "athlete." If marketing was not an issue, I doubt she would even be the number 1 pick if she came out. Maybe, maybe not. A lot of her game will have to be reigned in once she gets to the professional level. Maybe her turnovers will be less because she will be playing with more talent? She certainly will need to get stronger. I hope she stays 2 more years because she is certainly a multi-generational talent.

No, my feelings aren't hurt and honestly we shouldn't even be arguing over this. I'm just grateful they are both Hawkeyes. And i change my pick to Nile Kinnick. Lol.
I can probably agree with you here. He would be the 3rd head on my Mt. Rushmore of Hawkeye greats.

Maybe you can help me. I. The 70's i think it was there were some twins that wrestled for iowa. I think there last names started with an M but can't find them on Google. Any ideas? They were a couple of my favorites at the time and the wrestling talk got me reminiscing.

Maybe you can help me. I. The 70's i think it was there were some twins that wrestled for iowa. I think there last names started with an M but can't find them on Google. Any ideas? They were a couple of my favorites at the time and the wrestling talk got me reminiscing.
Are you thinking of the Banachs? Ed and Lou. Though I am not sure they are twins.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Lee likely will be the first 4 time national champion at Iowa. He won't be the greatest 125, he will be considered among the greatest of them all, if not the greatest. You saying she is the best player in the women's game "by a ways" tells me you don't really follow the game. Ever heard of Page Bueckers or Aliyah Boston? Maybe Haley Jones? I love CC as a player - she is incredible. But the original question was who is the Greatest Hawkeye - not the most popular or recognizable. And when you can say a field hockey player was a 4 time 1st Team Team All American and winner of the player of the year 3 times and the Sullivan Award Winner as the best amateur athlete, we can continue this discussion. Men's basketball is more popular than wrestling. The women's game, I don't think so.
Women's college basketball is more popular than men's college wrestling AINEC. Honestly, that's just objectively provable.

That's part of the reason why CC is above Spencer as all time Hawk. Part of the criteria is your fame. It's the reason I'd put Nile Kinnick at number 1. He played in the most popular sport, won the Heisman, and gave a famous speech that's still aired on TV to this day.

You'll never get the answer right, because to you it's all about what gets the most attention on TV, and absurd standard when it comes to the greatest Iowa athlete ever. As I said, the Sullivan award went to Spencer Lee, the nation's top amateur athlete regardless of sport, an awareness vastly beyond yours.

Looking at the list Spencer Lee is the only Iowa athlete ever to win the Sullivan award. Shawn Johnson did win it for gymnastics in 2008.

Reactions: LIV4GOD
Women's college basketball is more popular than men's college wrestling AINEC. Honestly, that's just objectively provable.

That's part of the reason why CC is above Spencer as all time Hawk. Part of the criteria is your fame. It's the reason I'd put Nile Kinnick at number 1. He played in the most popular sport, won the Heisman, and gave a famous speech that's still aired on TV to this day.
You keep saying the women's game is more popular. It's just not. Remove CC from the equation and you have the same old partially filled arenas. If you want to make the argument she is the greater Hawkeye, by all means have at it because she certainly could be. But please don't try to make the argument that women's basketball is anyway near as popular as the men's game and use that against wrestling. I would say wrestling is more popular than women's bball because the fans are so knowledgeable and passionate about the sport. Iowa wrestling fans can tell you about nearly all of the top wrestlers, not just from the Hawks. I'd venture a guess most Iowa women's bball fans could not name the top players on say Notre Dame and/or South Carolina. You really think fans of the women's game are as passionate as wrestling fans? Just wait and see what happens when CC leaves Iowa. Season tickets will drop 50%. That means she is the popular one, not the game itself.

Are you thinking of the Banachs? Ed and Lou. Though I am not sure they are twins.
I was and just remembered that they were brothers, not twins. I had a traumatic head injury so it can take 20 minutes to a couple weeks to remember stuff like that. Now that i hear the names they are 80's and not 70's. Good Gable story, was playing poker with Mike McCready and was talking about a player Ferentz suspended for a year. Mike called up Gable and after 10 minutes of them insulting each othera manhood he said what the suspension was for. Not only was Gable one of the most driven athletes and coaches ever and knew everything going on at the university but he was one of the most creative funny vervally abusive, to his friend, that i have ever heard. I can't repeat what those two said ti each other but I'm laughing just remembering.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
The recency bias is embarrassing.

Did Iowa not just have the National Player of the Year...IN MEN'S BASKETBALL just 2 years ago? lol Clark has never even won NPOT in the women's game. If she does win (as a result of UConn's superstar being injured all year), perhaps you can have the conversation whether she's the "greatest Hawkeye in the past 2 years." Even then, though, it would be a stretch because Spencer Lee is about to win his 4th national wrestling title...and he's led his team to a team title.

Chuck Long was a few votes shy of the Heisman Trophy playing the most competitive position in sports and led the Hawks to the Rose Bowl. Clark led the Hawks to a 1st round loss in the NCAA tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT