ADVERTISEMENT

Is KF aware of any top OC's who run a more explosive type offense?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Prior to Brian's dismissal announcment I am not sure KF even had an idea of some OC candidates. And do any of is think he has 5 names on his radar or list of an OC that runs what we might call an more explosive type offense and an OC who has developed some very good passing teams? That is what this team needs, better passing to open up the running.

Is KF prepared to make a very good hire?

To quote The Old Man from Pawn Stars:

"Not only No, but HELL NO!".

The Capt is fossilized.

Prior to Brian's dismissal announcment I am not sure KF even had an idea of some OC candidates. And do any of is think he has 5 names on his radar or list of an OC that runs what we might call an more explosive type offense and an OC who has developed some very good passing teams? That is what this team needs, better passing to open up the running.

That review will come after the season is over.

All of those that whined for BF to be fired are going to be greatly disappointed whoever the next OC ends up being. Everyone knows what KF formula for Iowa football is, (and it has worked just fine) physical run up the middle, eat up the clock, with some screens,maybe a WR reverse, play action passes and passes to tight ends over the middle. It is what Iowa football is and is not going to change.
I think many of those same people are expecting to see some kind of drastic changes like a spread passing game with mobile running QB. Those people need to stick to watching football on video games .

All of those that whined for BF to be fired are going to be greatly disappointed whoever the next OC ends up being. Everyone knows what KF formula for Iowa football is, (and it has worked just fine) physical run up the middle, eat up the clock, with some screens,maybe a WR reverse, play action passes and passes to tight ends over the middle. It is what Iowa football is and is not going to change.
I think many of those same people are expecting to see some kind of drastic changes like a spread passing game with mobile running QB. Those people need to stick to watching football on video games .
I agree. What needs to happen is if he hires outside the program, he better hire someone who can recruit. I'm think it will be Budmyer, so don't expect changes, either in scheme or an upgrade in recruiting.

I know what you mean and how you would feel because 1) an internal hire is just lazy on KF's part because 2) and an internal hire really means that person who is promoted was probably better than Brian.

There has to be some more OC's out there who can call the running game but also have a better passing game. A passing game that routinely has routes that get guys open.

I agree. What needs to happen is if he hires outside the program, he better hire someone who can recruit. I'm think it will be Budmyer, so don't expect changes, either in scheme or an upgrade in recruiting.
Well of course that’s what he should do.

I’m looking for a OC who can develop the players in that side of the ball and figure out a methodology to get playmakers the ball. Brian is woefully awful at this. You can still be power run, but the line has to produce. While Barnett is the current position coach, their lack of production the past few years falls on BF and KF.

Reactions: Tom Paris

I +consider 79-- and 30 yd TD runs from scrimmage explosive, Need more- -of -them.

Brain ultimately was struggling, so a move was good and it eliminates the negatives carried with Kirk's son as OC.

Iowa will fine a new OC. Fourth in 26 years.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Kirk will never go explosive, he needs to be looking at what Michigan is doing and find someone who can dlivery the same results. Dominating in the trenches, lethally accurate QB, and intelligent receiver routes. Michigan likes to pound the football on the ground like he does too.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
I don't think there is any way that KF has a "list" at this point. He either hasn't thought about it or has already made the decision to promote Barnett or Budmayr.
I bet Kirk kind of always has a “list” of guys he likes and could see coaching for him, even in times he isn’t planning to/ has to make any changes. If that makes sense.

Kirk will never go explosive, he needs to be looking at what Michigan is doing and find someone who can dlivery the same results. Dominating in the trenches, lethally accurate QB, and intelligent receiver routes. Michigan likes to pound the football on the ground like he does too.
I'm on board with this. In order, I think the Iowa offense needs:
1. A dominant OL.
2. An accurate + reasonably-mobile quarterback.
3. Continued recruitment and development of elite TEs.
4. A collection of receivers who can get open and catch the ball reliably, and a collection of RBs who can hang on to the ball.

All these conditions are consistent with KF's offensive philosophy (dominate the LOS, control clock and field position) and Iowa's historical standards (at least under HF and KF). Then sprinkle in some modern features like RPO and you have an effective offense.

For those clamoring for a "spread offense" or some sexy variant thereof, remember what happened to Michigan when they deviated from their core culture and hired Rich Rodriquez to replace Lloyd Carr - a couple decades of mediocrity. Also, too early to tell how the philosophical change will play out in Madison, but I'm not bullish on the Badgers at the moment.

What we need is a Spread offense.
At least upgrade to this century.
Do you even know what a spread offense is? Does that mean that if you run a pro-style offense (which is not a spread, and, what Iowa runs) that you are running an old out-dated offense? Even though that a lot of the NFL teams and top college teams employ a pro-style offense?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I'm on board with this. In order, I think the Iowa offense needs:
1. A dominant OL.
2. An accurate + reasonably-mobile quarterback.
3. Continued recruitment and development of elite TEs.
4. A collection of receivers who can get open and catch the ball reliably, and a collection of RBs who can hang on to the ball.

All these conditions are consistent with KF's offensive philosophy (dominate the LOS, control clock and field position) and Iowa's historical standards (at least under HF and KF). Then sprinkle in some modern features like RPO and you have an effective offense.

For those clamoring for a "spread offense" or some sexy variant thereof, remember what happened to Michigan when they deviated from their core culture and hired Rich Rodriquez to replace Lloyd Carr - a couple decades of mediocrity. Also, too early to tell how the philosophical change will play out in Madison, but I'm not bullish on the Badgers at the moment.
A good list that we all realize is needed.
1. Kirk has had a lot of dominant and really good OLines; needs to do it again.
2. CJB was the last really accurate and mobile qb so it is time; hope Marco is and he is here
3. No reason to think they do not have Lachey and a few others for the next few years.
4. Really need to upgrade here since Smith and ISM left, Jones could have been the guy
5. Our current running backs are very good and not going to mention the other part in order to not jinx them. Leshon is showing more natural instincts to cutback when it is available; I say if KalebJ and the other two just had more holes and creases the run game would be right up there around 5 ypc with a bunch of big runs.

When I talk about a better OC I mean one who can manipulate the defense and outsmart them and one who has a good enough passing game to make defenses pay for loading the box and for picking up good chunk plays, not just 4 yard outs.

Well I think it has to be someone fairly old- a young guy will not want a situation where he knows retirement is within 2-4 years. So focus on a late 50’s, early sixties and out of a job this Spring.

This is hogwash. There are some folks here letting their imaginations run wild on this board, but no Iowa fans who have been paying attention are truly expecting a splash hire at OC and a whole new high-octane offense.

BF was working under the conditions set by KF, just like the previous OC's. The problem is that BF was REALLY, REALLY bad at the job. Getting rid of BF was/is the right thing to do for a number of reasons. Those of us who are happy with the fact that BF is being booted out are hopeful that there is someone who can perform a lot better under the same conditions, and who might even be able to convince KF to let him loosen it up a bit.

Ludwig makes sense as Utah's core philosophy is similar to KFs.
Winningham and KF have longest tenure in college FB cuz they have executed their philosophies well.
Utah has had the mobile QBs which we need to incorporate into our offense.

We need our JJ McCarthy to emulate Michigan...maybe Marco or Resar?

Honestly I'd like Kirk to focus on getting a mobile QB first. Or 3 of them.
I’ve been saying this for years. A mobile QB hides a lot of warts (ie bad OL, WRs that can’t get separation). Our most successful offensive years have been with a QB that is not a statue.

Even last week when Deacon scrambled for a first down changed the dynamics of the drive.

I’ve been saying this for years. A mobile QB hides a lot of warts (ie bad OL, WRs that can’t get separation). Our most successful offensive years have been with a QB that is not a statue.

Even last week when Deacon scrambled for a first down changed the dynamics of the drive.
Yet somehow no matter how often they see other teams doing it, or even having it work for themselves, they still recruited statues for years…
There has been a huge shift with that the last 4 years tho… Labas Lainez resar and I suppose Cade at one point can move… I think Marco might be next to get a shot. If Michigan tees off on deacon for 3 quarters Marco might get a shot in championship game… unless it’s close I guess but that ain’t happening

Do you even know what a spread offense is? Does that mean that if you run a pro-style offense (which is not a spread, and, what Iowa runs) that you are running an old out-dated offense? Even though that a lot of the NFL teams and top college teams employ a pro-style offense?
There are so many different spread offenses.

What I would like to see is a quarterback that can run a RPO. We can still have our offense with some changes. With a good RPO option, may not have the defense stacking the line of scrimmage.

Just my thoughts

Well I think it has to be someone fairly old- a young guy will not want a situation where he knows retirement is within 2-4 years. So focus on a late 50’s, early sixties and out of a job this Spring.
Brian wasnt fairly old. Why wouldnt a 35-40 year old guy want to come and be the OC even if Kirk retires in a few years. These coaches love a challenge and if a guy feels he is a good OC and can bring Iowa up to 80th ranked to 60th ranked offense he will be called amazing.

You do a great job for a few years and then stay or move on to other top jobs.

I'm fine with what you just described. Somehow Brian could not put that simple plan into action. All this team has needed was an average offense. But the last 3 years have been an offensive disgrace. Just get an OC who can execute the above and we are fine. I love to watch a ground and pound running game with a dash of play action. Running the ball when the other team can't stop it is demoralizing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT