ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Media is Hilarious

I believe the problem lies in there are just too many Hawkeye dedicated sites and they are all fighting for our views. Hawkeye fans are a dedicated bunch but there simply isn’t enough of us to support so much Hawkeye media which they are left with creating drama for viewership.

Last edited:
I'm all for KF finding the right person, but to say it doesn't impact recruiting is crazy talk. We've had 6 FBS or FCS schools in the past two weeks to talk to juniors at the high school I work at. One of them is from a school who hired a new coach during the bowl games. We are down 2 offensive coaches at the moment who could be talking to juniors establishing relationships. Do you think we just call guys a week before signing day? Especially with the offensive output the past 3 years, kids are coming here to play WR or QB based on the relationships with coaches not the offense.
Iowa typically doesn’t sign players during the February regular signing period. They might have someone in place prior to the next early signing period when they sign the overwhelming majority of their players.
Being without an OC and a WR coach isn’t ideal but not much worse than when bf was ‘recruiting’

Reactions: eyesofhawk
WR coach was let go. Are you sure Brian was the problem and not Copeland.

WR coach was let go. Are you sure Brian was the problem and not Copeland.

It has always been a very tight coaching group in Iowa City,.. You would have to be extremely foolish to believe that all of the problems associated with a lack of offensive output were consolidated in a single human being named Brian Ferentz...

Agree with all this. I cannot imagine having any actual stress over it, but it’s still quite strange we don’t have an OC by now.
I was thinking about the timeline.

- After job posted, resumes from coaches received
- Kirk made several phone calls prior to bowl prep, probably to coaches he felt fit the Hawks pro-style offense
- Chryst was probably the #1 target and after talks post bowl game an offer was made.
- Chryst said he wanted some time to mull over the offer (I've read a week, doubt it was that long). He discussed with wife, probably leveraged the offer to get more money at Texas, and decided he could ride the pine with $11M in the bank waiting for head job to come along.
- Now Kirk is looking at options #2, #3' and so on. I'm sure there had been conversations with them prior to Chryst saying no.
- A new offer has probably been put on the table, I'm sure. Probably closer to being a done deal, than we think.

Through this entire search, Kirk is looking for a coach that will stay until he retires (doesn't move around), fits the chemistry of the coaches at Iowa and runs a pro-style offense.

Thinking back, Kirk said that his focus all along was on the players and finishing the season. Every week was a huge challenge knowing the offense was a liability. Looking at the bags under Kirk's eyes late in the season, he spent a lot of long nights at the football complex.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT