ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Media is Hilarious

I guess I would say it really speaks volume to the amount of stock a bunch of grown men put into a bunch of kids playing football.
I mean look, I'm as diehard a Hawk fan as there is, but call it perspective I suppose, but who Kirk hires isn't actually going to make or break my life. I figure it will get done when it gets done, and then I'll bitch about the hire. Now on to something more important: I'm giddy about Geico bringing back the caveman in their new commercial spot. Now that's worth mentioning.

;)

Here's a few headlines or comments:

- Iowa Offensive Coordinator search has become a nightmare. Come-on, a nightmare?

- 79 days without an offensive coordinator. Nope it is actually two weeks.

- What's next after Paul Chryst said no. Was there an offer? What was he wanting? More money, Asst. Head Coach title? No tie-down clause (who wants a one and done OC)? I don't

- This from a Tom Kakert interview, Kirk said three weeks so I'll give him a little more time - but the clock is ticking. You are a magnanimus individual Tom, you'll give Kirk a little more time. C'mon man.

I would be willing to bet none of these guys have ever made this type of hire, let alone, with so much visability.

It is not a nightmare, it has not been 79 days, some of the names dropped were never serious candidates and Kirk isn't looking for anyones permission to have more time. I want him to take his time to get it right. It will happen, sooner than later.
I don’t care how long it takes. Just get this hire right

Reactions: BustingNarratives
You’re damn right it’s unhealthy. This whole entire board and it’s continued bitching about a program that has won a shit ton of games in the last 20 years is grossly, obsessively unhealthy!
This is correct. We as fans need to know that this is Iowa and 2023 was basically peak success. Stop bitching.

• Wow
Reactions: hawkandroll

- Iowa Offensive Coordinator search has become a nightmare. Come-on, a nightmare?

- What's next after Paul Chryst said no. Was there an offer? What was he wanting? More money, Asst. Head Coach title? No tie-down clause (who wants a one and done OC)? I don't

- This from a Tom Kakert interview, Kirk said three weeks so I'll give him a little more time - but the clock is ticking. You are a magnanimus individual Tom, you'll give Kirk a little more time. C'mon man.

I would be willing to bet none of these guys have ever made this type of hire, let alone, with so much visability.

It is not a nightmare, it has not been 79 days, some of the names dropped were never serious candidates and Kirk isn't looking for anyones permission to have more time. I want him to take his time to get it right. It will happen, sooner than later.
I am completely stunned the media is trying to conflate things, that never happens. not in sports, politics, day-to-day stuff... It's as if they just want clicks and to be the first, not right, but just the first.

How is that two words?

Anyway, Iowa currently doesn't have schollys for transfers. And signing day for highschool recruits is about 11 months away.

Why do people just assume that Kirk is an idiot? It's pretty mind blowing
I'm all for KF finding the right person, but to say it doesn't impact recruiting is crazy talk. We've had 6 FBS or FCS schools in the past two weeks to talk to juniors at the high school I work at. One of them is from a school who hired a new coach during the bowl games. We are down 2 offensive coaches at the moment who could be talking to juniors establishing relationships. Do you think we just call guys a week before signing day? Especially with the offensive output the past 3 years, kids are coming here to play WR or QB based on the relationships with coaches not the offense.

I'm all for KF finding the right person, but to say it doesn't impact recruiting is crazy talk. We've had 6 FBS or FCS schools in the past two weeks to talk to juniors at the high school I work at. One of them is from a school who hired a new coach during the bowl games. We are down 2 offensive coaches at the moment who could be talking to juniors establishing relationships. Do you think we just call guys a week before signing day? Especially with the offensive output the past 3 years, kids are coming here to play WR or QB based on the relationships with coaches not the offense.
Something tells me none of those juniors will be committing within the next week. Plenty of time to establish relationships

Actually, we've been without an OC for the better part of a decade.....

• Haha
Reactions: ClarindaA's
I literally ran into two Iowan's (obviously not football fans) on separate occasions that were shocked to learn Iowa had made the big ten championship game. Given that the only thing they ever heard in the community was how bad Iowa's offense was, they had just assumed that Iowa sucked this season. That's just sad
I live in the Chicago suburbs. During football season I typically fly an Iowa flag. My mailman who doesn't follow college football asks me how the Hawkeyes are "treating me this year". I said good, they're going to be playing in the B1G championship game. He says "Oh really? I heard they have a really bad offense". I said yeah I know.

You’re damn right it’s unhealthy. This whole entire board and it’s continued bitching about a program that has won a shit ton of games in the last 20 years is grossly, obsessively unhealthy!
Do you mean a program that has won a shit ton of meaningless games in the last 20 years? Last truly meaningful win in your little mind???

FWIW, Iowa has their list of juniors they have offered or are interested in. Many visited games in the fall and came to Iowa City during bowl prep. Key recruits will also visit during spring practices. Iowa will continue refining their list and all key recruits will visit for a key junior weekend in June. Last year's weekend was very successful. We may miss on a few portal prospects but there will be more in the spring. That is when Brown transferred from OSU.

I guess I would say it really speaks volume to the amount of stock a bunch of grown men put into a bunch of kids playing football.
I mean look, I'm as diehard a Hawk fan as there is, but call it perspective I suppose, but who Kirk hires isn't actually going to make or break my life. I figure it will get done when it gets done, and then I'll bitch about the hire. Now on to something more important: I'm giddy about Geico bringing back the caveman in their new commercial spot. Now that's worth mentioning.

;)
No shit it’s not going to really affect any of our lives, but you admit to being a diehard fan, post on an internet message board, and you’re gonna throw shade at those that express their opinions? I’m 40, I have real life shit to worry about as well. But I, and I’m guessing most others who post here, come to this place to forget about daily life for a while and talk about the team they love. It’s pretty ridiculous there is still no OC named and it’s certainly something to discuss.

Last edited:
Whether a hire would have happened last week, this week or next week or the week after means nothing. In reality you need one going into spring ball with enough time, so they can have the playbook ready to go. It doesn't even need to be all of the playbook as more can be added in August. In reality this spring practice period is more the new OC evaluating what talent is there.
And then he decides he wants to coach defense where he would have some good kids to work with

I live in the Chicago suburbs. During football season I typically fly an Iowa flag. My mailman who doesn't follow college football asks me how the Hawkeyes are "treating me this year". I said good, they're going to be playing in the B1G championship game. He says "Oh really? I heard they have a really bad offense". I said yeah I know.
Well Jonesy, , at least you didn’t take offense at his comment…….

No shit it’s not going to really affect any of our lives, but you admit to being a diehard fan, post on an internet message board, and you’re gonna throw shade at those that express their opinions? I’m 40, I have real life shit to worry about as well. But I, and I’m guessing most others who post here, come to this place to forget about daily life for a while and talk about the team they love. It’s pretty ridiculous there is still no OC named and it’s certainly something to discuss.
Fair enough
All I’m saying is it’s not worth stressing over. It’s not gonna speed up Kirk’s decision. We’ll all have a chance to complain soon enough

Isn't it amazing how they are trying to control things out of their control.
People demanding he hires someone right away.
The hurry is kinda funny/amusing, but the vast majority of people just want someone that is going to inspire hope, not just within the fanbase, but with the f***ing players and program.

Even the players know the offense is dog sh**, and more importantly so do recruits and potential transfers.

I would not include the YT video entitled "Iowa Offensive Coordinator search has become a nightmare", as coming from members of the "media", if that is what you are referencing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT