ADVERTISEMENT

Is McCaffery sending Mulvey a Message?

Ronman

HR Legend
Jan 4, 2004
Planet Iowa
I believe he was the only player who didn't get into the game last night. He didn't seem ill or injured as he was jumping around all night. You would hope, as a player, that you having spent two years in the program you would get some consideration over the new walk ons

Reactions: perryhawk
A free out of state degree from Iowa is worth what about 100,000 dollars, or is it more? He evidently is not that upset.....
Isn't scholarships granted on a 1 year basis by the head coach, he could have been let go last year.

I believe he was the only player who didn't get into the game last night. He didn't seem ill or injured as he was jumping around all night. You would hope, as a player, that you having spent two years in the program you would get some consideration over the new walk ons
Fran appears to not think he can help the team. That's how i see it.

Curious what's going on with him as well. Maybe Fran is trying to make things as uncomfortable for him as possible so he leaves on his own?

Maybe Mulvey suffers from "BF-itis".

Can't muster up the personal pride to walk away from a situation their just not meant for, no matter how 'cush' they have it where they are.

But.... it gives Fran free 5 fouls to burn when he needs 'em.

A free out of state degree from Iowa is worth what about 100,000 dollars, or is it more? He evidently is not that upset.....
Isn't scholarships granted on a 1 year basis by the head coach, he could have been let go last year.
Between room and board. Tutors, food, monthly pay, and tuition that number is around $75k/year or more.

I understand he's taking a roster spot but what's the problem with letting him stay? Fran doesn't have to find time for him, I assume he must be some kind of practice player at that height and he'll be gone in another year. Fran's not going to make him leave, IMHO

Mulvey has been passed up by younger guys and our transfer brauns. As for not leaving maybe he likes his life in Iowa city. Maybe he does leave and plays a year or 2 somewhere after the season but sometimes athletes stay who never play cause they enjoy their life outside of sports where they are at. But after not going to Europe and summer and fall practices sure was no shock to minutes or lack there of he received.

He might give a few good defensive minutes if our bigs are hurt or in foul trouble but he has not progressed enough to see regular minutes yet.

There’s nothing going on. If he was good he’d play. Plain and simple. Not everyone makes it.
Right, but it's unusual for a guy who's getting no pt in year 3 to stick around today.

The majority would have transferred one way or the other by now.

It took Les Jepsen into his 4th year to start to make an impact and then he was 28th pick in the NBA draft. Hope Riley can continue to improve as he has the size to be able to compete at a high level.

Maybe it is as simple as Fran has decided Riley needs another year to get stronger and is redshirting him (and I agree we're doing the same thing with Evan Brauns). Who knows... next year both may be key contributors (although I would be surprised if Riley panned out)

I remember some quotes from Riley about how he didn't work as hard as the others his freshman year. Maybe he still doesn't, and Fran doesn't want to reward less than stellar effort with playing time.

Seriously, they talk, I'm 100% certain the kid knows his standing and mostly he's happy where he is

Back in my day I knew a guy from Pittsburgh who was technically in the bball team. Ralph Miller told him not to come to practice. He received his scholarship with all things attached. He was 6' 6" and a very good rec player. He graduated from Iowa and went on to a successful management career with UPS.

Reactions: Sexican
I understand he's taking a roster spot but what's the problem with letting him stay? Fran doesn't have to find time for him, I assume he must be some kind of practice player at that height and he'll be gone in another year. Fran's not going to make him leave, IMHO
Having a 7 footer is needed for practices. He's on the team for a reason. He has a role to play to make his team better.

Just imagine if you could have a 7ft on scholarship who could practice and play.

That'd really be something.
It would be, but I think Mulvey is only the second 7 footer Fran has ever recruited. Every other big man has been 6'10 or shorter. At this point it's just not gonna happen.

Don't know how much truth there is to this; but I thought I read where one of the talking heads saying he may be taking his red shirt year.

That's the problem.

Reactions: shudaddy
Don't know how much truth there is to this; but I thought I read where one of the talking heads saying he may be taking his red shirt year.
That just adds one additional year that he ties up a scholarship. If he's not good enough to play at this level, McCaffery ought to help him find a landing spot where he could be happy and play.

Reactions: RocknRollface
That just adds one additional year that he ties up a scholarship. If he's not good enough to play at this level, McCaffery ought to help him find a landing spot where he could be happy and play.
Maybe francis sees his potential and isn’t ready to give up on him yet. Kid seems pretty happy where he’s at.

Why would a coach at this level send a message? For the millions Fran is making shouldn't he just be honest with the kid? I'm guessing he has told Riley many times what his role is and if he doesn't like it he can find the door. Of course if Riley decides to commit to busting his ass to develop maybe he will earn some playing time one day.
Don't blame the kid for his lack of intensity or skill set. Our basketball staff offerred him a scholarship. He's their problem, not the other way around. Every team has a guy who is last on the depth chart. You can't afford to have too many fighting it out for that last spot.

Reactions: Slim45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT