ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Brands' era entering Zalesky level?

We are definitely do for a staff shake up. I wouldn't be afraid to replace all the assistants and we need a real strength and conditioning coach with a strong knowledge of the sport. Lets also not forget what teams Zalesky won with. Them were gable teams. Tom never inherited much from Zalesky teams. We need a strong recruiting haul to get this show back on the road. I don't know what went on last night, but I still believe we will be a strong number 2 at nationals.
Tom didn't inherit much from Zalesky, but he did bring a ton of transfers with him. Sort of same thing but different.

He is not at the Zalesky level at the end but definitely trending that way in short order. I had zero faith Zalesky could get the job done when they fired him and I have zero faith the current staff can get the job done moving forward. It's not even just about PSU leaving the field in the dust. The Iowa program is losing ground to other programs besides PSU. I thought when they got Spencer, Kem , Bull and Warner. Got Kaleb to over perform. Got a break with Spencer getting ADS here that the light bulb has come on and they were finally figuring things out but the recruiting just died after that. We got nothing from the east until Deluca committed. It went back to settling for easy targets. Sebolt became the new Iowa City West. They decided to just try and plug the holes from poor recruiting in the portal. They had an opening to get back in the game to stay but let the door slam shut.

Tom didn't inherit much from Zalesky, but he did bring a ton of transfers with him. Sort of same thing but different.
Dennis
Morningstar
Keddy
Beatty
Erekson
Perry
Falck
Fields
Luedke
Tsirtsis
Galanakis
Murphy
Magnani

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
Guys wanna toss this year out due to the gambling bit. How would’ve the outcome been any different last night with the lost guys out there. Nothing changes, hawks still get embarrassed

Reactions: vhsalum and MVPFAN
Guys wanna toss this year out due to the gambling bit. How would’ve the outcome been any different last night with the lost guys out there. Nothing changes, hawks still get embarrassed
Just to add some perspective, you do realize that some of Iowa’s better teams in history probably lose convincingly to this PsU team, right? PSU has 9 guys that should finish top 6 and with how Messenbrink dusted Caliendo, they are very likely to have 6 Finalists and be favored in 5 of those. Hell, even Kasak could AA and he is only wrestling due to injury.

Again, holding Iowa to the current bar PSU is at is ridiculously unfair. Even in Gable’s time, he maybe had 2 or 3 teams at this level and it legitimately could be argued that even all of them would lose. This is especially true if Van Ness didn’t get hurt.

Now, I do absolutely agree that Iowa needs to do more to close the gap and keep a clear distance ahead of everyone else. But, you simply can’t ignore that PSU has more top ten recruits in the current room than any DI coach has recruited in their entire head coaching careers(except maybe Smith and he has been coaching a LONG time)…

He is not at the Zalesky level at the end but definitely trending that way in short order. I had zero faith Zalesky could get the job done when they fired him and I have zero faith the current staff can get the job done moving forward. It's not even just about PSU leaving the field in the dust. The Iowa program is losing ground to other programs besides PSU. I thought when they got Spencer, Kem , Bull and Warner. Got Kaleb to over perform. Got a break with Spencer getting ADS here that the light bulb has come on and they were finally figuring things out but the recruiting just died after that. We got nothing from the east until Deluca committed. It went back to settling for easy targets. Sebolt became the new Iowa City West. They decided to just try and plug the holes from poor recruiting in the portal. They had an opening to get back in the game to stay but let the door slam shut.
Anyone got a gif of DeLuca watching last night with his buds. Yeah, he didn't get razed much....

Caels wife at 8am" Honey, there's a young man asking to speak to you..I don't know, he seems petrified...cael said relax have a good day, we'll be seeing you"

I was just thinking about matchups with PSU. Other than Bull vs Joseph I can't remember an example of an Iowa guy beating his PSU opponent once they lost to them.

Reactions: wahlberg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT