ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Brands' era entering Zalesky level?

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
Losing is one thing .... being that embarrassed by the #13 team is another.

This loss feels like it did the losses endured in Z's last year.

#1 ranked Woods gets majored by a freshman.

#2 ranked Franek can't finish against a lesser opponent.

Ayala get stop a guy from hanging on him for 7+ minutes.

and so on.

and so on.
michigan is vastly underrated, it was almost a joke to have them that low. Their lineup is stacked with talent and besides PSU their dual meet losses came when they had multiple high ranked wrestlers sitting out.

Coming off our bye weekend (Illini and NW) and with PSU coming up it was a bad time to get michigan...and they had a plan and were ready to go. We did not and were not.

Staff shakeup long overdue.

Recruiting isn't as good as some like to give Morningstar credit for.

And Telford....don't get me started.

And it isn't gambling related either.

Hoping the stale performances of Woods and Ayala are sickness related.

Last edited:
Jim Zalesky

1998 - 13-3 in duals, #1 Big Ten Tournament, #1 NCAA Tournament

1999 - 13-4 in duals, #2 Big Ten Tournament, #1 NCAA tournament

2000 - 18-0 in duals, #1 Big Ten Tournament, #1 NCAA tournament

2001 - 18-4 in duals, #3 Big Ten Tournament, #2 NCAA tournament

2002 - 16-4 in duals, #2 Big Ten Tournament, #4 NCAA Tournament

2003 - 17-3 in duals, #2 Big Ten Tournament, #8 NCAA Tournament

2004 - 11-4 in duals, #1 Big Ten Tournament, #2 NCAA tournament

2005 - 9-5 in duals, #4 Big Ten Tournament, #7 NCAA Tournament

2006 - 11-7 in duals, #6 Big Ten Tournament, #4 NCAA Tournament

Tom Brands

2007 - 14-5 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #8 in NCAA Tournament

2008 - 21-1 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, #1 in NCAA Tournament

2009 - 24-0 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, #1 in NCAA Tournament

2010 - 23-0 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, #1 in NCAA Tournament

2011 - 15-0-1 in duals, #2 in Big Ten Tournament, #3 in NCAA Tournament

2012 - 14-4 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #3 in NCAA Tournament

2013 - 20-3 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #4 in NCAA Tournament

2014 - 15-2 in duals, #2 in Big Ten Tournament, #4 in NCAA Tournament

2015 - 17-1 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, #2 in NCAA Tournament

2016 - 16-1 in duals, #2 in Big Ten Tournament, #5 in NCAA Tournament

2017 - 13-2 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #4 in NCAA Tournament

2018 - 12-3 in duals, #4 in Big Ten Tournament, #3 in NCAA Tournament

2019 - 14-1 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #4 in NCAA Tournament

2020 - 13-0 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, NCAA canceled

2021 - 5-0 in duals, #1 in Big Ten Tournament, #1 in NCAA Tournament

2022 - 14-1 in duals, #3 in Big Ten Tournament, #3 in NCAA Tournament

2023 - 15-1 in duals, #2 in Big Ten Tournament, #2 in NCAA Tournament

The reality is that after penn state there is a lot of parity among the next 10 or so teams. Makes for a fun and unpredictable dual season and something to co sider when we discuss a number 2 vs 13 rank prior to the match. Iowa looked off minus a few guys last night. Glazier continues to be a surprising bright spot. Woods may have HEW at this point? Sick? Obviously he has more to offer than he showed last night.

Reactions: Trapper85
We are definitely do for a staff shake up. I wouldn't be afraid to replace all the assistants and we need a real strength and conditioning coach with a strong knowledge of the sport. Lets also not forget what teams Zalesky won with. Them were gable teams. Tom never inherited much from Zalesky teams. We need a strong recruiting haul to get this show back on the road. I don't know what went on last night, but I still believe we will be a strong number 2 at nationals.

No, remember this would be a different story if some a-hole hadn't gone rogue. Not that that is an excuse, but if Penn St. had 4-5 out of their line-up it'd be the same story for them.

I've been saying the staff needs replaced for 3 years. Where are all the jagoffs who don't go to practices and everything else to see how Iowa has not evolved for 10 years that have been telling me I don't know what I am talking about?
If Terry stays as a coach he needs to move to the HWC. Dennis from HWC needs to go. M* and Telford aren't elite in any way and shouldn't be coaching at a place like Iowa. Neither could EVER get another job anywhere close to Iowa. Tom may need to go also.
Things need to change in the room. From workouts, to lifting, recovery, recruiting. Look at at this years class. I realize that we didn't spend much money on most of these guys but we need 3 studs EVERY year. We have the history, the facility and the funds, it should be happening.

If you want to compare it would be more like psu losing
125 which the did
149 which they diid
And they still win by 30+
JFC...Use some common sense
They lost their 125,133,149 & 184 pounders this summer (after recruiting and transfers are done) to gambling charges? When did this happen? You'd think they'd put that in the news.

Put down the crack pipe. Zalesky had his teams in the bottom half of the big ten. We are nowhere near that. Flush the result, and move on to next week
ok, nothing to see here we are still “most likely” going to finish anywhere from 5th to maybe even up to 3rd in the B10 tournament. We are good, just move on. Oh, and we still can't finish take downs…not a problem.

Not the bottom for Iowa wrestling but it’s a long ways from the top. Evolution of the program has to happen to keep up or Iowa will get passed by.
Sure things could be a lot worse, sure this year could’ve been better. But looking ahead is next year gonna be a lot different.
Same 125, Schriever or Peterson at 133 , new worse 141, same 149's unless Anthony Ferrari wins that spot. New 157, could honestly be any of 4 different guys. Same 165. Should improve with another year in our room but that hasn't happened alot recently. Arnold at 174 will be an improvement. I believe Glazier at 184 and he will be great there. Angelo redshirts. AJ at 197. At heavy both guys will be better.

Reactions: el dub

and so on.
Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest post of all time.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Same 125, Schriever or Peterson at 133 , new worse 141, same 149's unless Anthony Ferrari wins that spot. New 157, could honestly be any of 4 different guys. Same 165. Should improve with another year in our room but that hasn't happened alot recently. Arnold at 174 will be an improvement. I believe Glazier at 184 and he will be great there. Angelo redshirts. AJ at 197. At heavy both guys will be better.
I don't see Anthony F as AA level at 149. Maybe he looks better at 157 but I doubt he is AA there either.

Reactions: el dub and BGon4ND
Problem as I see it is the people that make the decisions are happy with the results. The people that are responsible for the results feel that they've done everything they can for those results. One, or both of those things needs to change for there to be change.

Sad when tom has to potentially look to AJ for help. spend more time actually recruiting and maybe even spending some time woking on actually finishing take down attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT