ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Moss transferring according to report

It may not be the worst thing.

With Toussaint inbound, JaBo will absorb more minutes at SG. Wieskamp can also play some SG with PMac at SF.

Connor is flexible to fill in at PG and SG.

Fredrick is an unknown but could provide more depth at SG.

Defense going to BLOW with slow Connor and JaBo trying to guard any guards at all, going to give up 100 ever game with that crappy lineup

We are going to be a different team next year, but we also have a lot of experience. If the team meshes and has good chemistry we could be real good. If not, it could be an up and down year. I wish Moss the best but I think he was going to see fewer minutes next year and wanted to play more somewhere. Just a guess.

We going to get FACE rolled next year with this pathetic defensive team Fran going to roll out there

By all accounts, Moss was a good teammate, good guy and a good student. He honored his 4 year commitment to the University and will be earning his degree. After 4 years he may just want a change to see if he can improve his chances of playing somewhere professionally. He knows how Iowa plays and how our coaches coach, a new perspective might be what he needs to further his chances.

Reactions: LUC8
Who did we lose that is a good defender? Dailey was decent but didn't get a lot of minutes. Cook showed more effort but wasn't really good. Moss was average at best. JW really helped the defense and hopefully Toussant can as well. The effort on rotations has to be there. That has been terrible in the past.

The best core maybe ever? Did you start watching Iowa basketball in 2012?

The transfer situation has gotten crazy. It rarely works out the way either party thinks it will. A lot of these kids are getting sketchy counsel. From a program perspective, it’s better to have a strong program than a good team here and there. That’s why I agree with Fran’s general attitude towards the transfer market.

Losing experience/depth is never good. Period. Iowa will not be better because Moss is gone.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, when you have fans that are happy to see players leave the program, you have a sick program.
Joe W will be a Hawkeye all-timer and JBo is one of the most clutch players we've ever had. Throw in an ultra-skilled big man like Garza, and there is a chance it could be one our best cores in my life time (I'm 35)

Nobody is happy he is leaving and I don't think we are getting better simply because Moss is leaving.. but we will be a better team due to the likely drastic improvements of Joe W and Garza. We're also adding Joe T, PMac, CJ, Nunge and Pemsl. This is not a sick program. Exactly the opposite in fact.

You're nuts. Joe W, Garza, JBo will be the best core weve maybe ever had. With toussaint, cj, pmac coming in, jbo more at 2 and joe w being 30 min a game focal point, writing was on wall for moss. Sit back and enjoy the ride, hawks are going to be VERY good next yr

BWAH HA HA HA what the heck are you smoking, thta is bottom 2-3 in league starting group right there....wow....stupid as can be

Translation:
old.jpg

What a load of crap you just spewed. The real issue is the selfish baby-boomer generation who is only interested in helping themselves, and who are convinced that they way they do life is the only correct way to do life.

With all due respect you ae ignorant!!

Definitely makes next year a lot more questionable. Losing two starters and Seniors is huge. They still have a strong three in Bohannon, Wieskamp and Garza but they will need some guys to step up.

I can't help but feel that Isaiah has been getting bad advice. First the NBA stunt last season, and now this. Isaiah, you started on a Big Ten team and played in the NCAA tournament with nearly everyone returning... What more do you need? I do not feel like this is in his best interests, and that someone around him thinks they can benefit off of him.

Maybe he didn't like it at Iowa. Only he can say what is in his best interests.

Good contribution!

It’s not even close to bottom 2-3 in the league. Weiskamp is as legit as any Star player in the nation. Period.

I love Garza and JBo but there’s not a coach in the top half of the league worried about either of them. Just the truth.

I think the other possibility is that he looked at next year's team without Cook and Baer and didn't think they would make the NCAA tournament.

He likely knew both of them were gone before the previous season even started. I think way more likely he knew he wasn’t going to get the minute he wants to showcase himself for a professional career.

Yep definitely forgot about him. There have been a lot but I keep seeing people say players never develop under Fran and I Wonder how they can believe that.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
It’s not even close to bottom 2-3 in the league. Weiskamp is as legit as any Star player in the nation. Period.

I love Garza and JBo but there’s not a coach in the top half of the league worried about either of them. Just the truth.

You don’t think Garza is one of the best offensive weapons in the league?

Lots of grand claims going on in this thread. Put me in the boat that thinks Moss is just looking to showcase his abilities at whatever school possible. It will be a loss with his experience gone but also an opportunity for others to step up.

Reactions: Bro D and owenhawk
Lots of grand claims going on in this thread. Put me in the boat that thinks Moss is just looking to showcase his abilities at whatever school possible. It will be a loss with his experience gone but also an opportunity for others to step up.
That’s where I’m at. Dude wants to play at end of games. He rode the pine in crunch situations at Iowa, which actually I was ok with since he’s not a great ball handler. We played a lot better in crunch time this year than prior years. I don’t think it’s an internal problem at all.

That’s where I’m at. Dude wants to play at end of games. He rode the pine in crunch situations at Iowa, which actually I was ok with since he’s not a great ball handler. We played a lot better in crunch time this year than prior years. I don’t think it’s an internal problem at all.

Spot on

You don’t think Garza is one of the best offensive weapons in the league?

I love him. Great player and he’s an honest to God warrior. Best in the league? Again... which coaches from the top half of the league would swap their big for Garza?

He’s not necessarily a defensive liability but he’s not a standout either and unfortunately you have to play both.

I love him. Great player and he’s an honest to God warrior. Best in the league? Again... which coaches from the top half of the league would swap their big for Garza?

He’s not necessarily a defensive liability but he’s not a standout either and unfortunately you have to play both.

Agreed he’s not a good defensive player and needs to continue to improve.

But offensively, I’m pretty sure a team like Wisconsin and Purdue and Michigan would love to have a low post scorer like him. He is wildly efficient around the hoop (just think ifvhe didn’t take as many 3’s as he does), actually can hit the 10 - 15 footer consistently (and the 3 occasionally) and is a great FT shooter for a big man.

Agreed he’s not a good defensive player and needs to continue to improve.

But offensively, I’m pretty sure a team like Wisconsin and Purdue and Michigan would love to have a low post scorer like him. He is wildly efficient around the hoop (just think ifvhe didn’t take as many 3’s as he does), actually can hit the 10 - 15 footer consistently (and the 3 occasionally) and is a great FT shooter for a big man.

You seem like the type of guy who thinks Garza is better than Brazdeikis.

If JoeW's is as legit as any player in the country he will be a lottery pick and will not return...where does he stand in the mock drafts?

You seem like the kind of guy who doesn’t realize they play totally different positions and have totally different games.

True, different players & positions. Just get sick of people thinking Garza is a superstar when he is a sieve on one end of the floor. god knows a lot of Hawk fans think he's not that bad on D.

Nonsense. All Big Ten Freshman team. If that’s not nationally legit, there’s no such thing.

I'm not even sure if you're serious or trolling at this point. JW is a good player but he's not even a top 50 player in CBB according to KenPom player rankings.

Surprising to me that Moss is leaving. I doubt that he will go to one of the better programs, but he does flash skills now and then. It now will be critical that at least one of the new guys, JoeT, PMac, or CJ, step up. I have been disappointed in Moss' development, but he was still an important member of the team. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

True, different players & positions. Just get sick of people thinking Garza is a superstar when he is a sieve on one end of the floor. god knows a lot of Hawk fans think he's not that bad on D.

I don't think he is good at D and I said that. I have said that many times. He is not a superstar mainly because of his defensive issues. However, he is a very good college low post player. That is what was being discussed.
I simply said Garza is a top-level low post scorer in the Big Ten.

The reality is Iowa across the board has not been a very good defensive team - some due to lack of athleticism, some due to lack of effort. The only guy on the team I trust at all to play above-average man-to-man defense is Wieskamp (which is part of why he will be a star in college because he can do everything). Moss was not a good defensive player for the most part but people talked about him like he was.

Cook was a very poor defender too but people talked about him like he was a star. At least with Garza you can never question his effort ... you can do that with Cook. Garza always gives maximum on the court but he's just not a good defensive player (he will need to keep working on that because there are ways he can get better to at least be adequate). But nothing was worse than watching by far the most athletic player and supposed best player give inconsistent effort and get outworked.

All of this is why I am not super concerned about losing Cook and Moss. Iowa is still going to score points and have a good offensive team, with or without them. In my opinion, they will move the ball better and be more efficient offensively with the current make-up and highlighting Wieskamp and Garza as the 1-2 punch. But defensively, they still need to make strides if they plan to get to that next level. That is why I have been clamoring for a defensive-minded SG from the end of the season.

Reactions: Bro D
If JoeW's is as legit as any player in the country he will be a lottery pick and will not return...where does he stand in the mock drafts?
He is not listed because he won't be drafted. I haven't even seen him listed in Mock 2020 drafts.

But offensively, I’m pretty sure a team like Wisconsin and Purdue and Michigan would love to have a low post scorer like him...

Again, who would they trade for Garza? Which coaches are worried about Garza? Underwood for sure but probably not for long.

Great Hawkeye. Good Big Ten player.

Maybe he didn't like it at Iowa. Only he can say what is in his best interests.

I suspect he sees himself as having one last season to try make something happen and apparently he doesn't think that will occur at Iowa,.... Good luck Isaiah, thanks for being a Hawk....

Again, who would they trade for Garza? Which coaches are worried about Garza? Underwood for sure but probably not for long.

Great Hawkeye. Good Big Ten player.

Plenty of coaches are probably worried about Garza? How do you know they are not? On Wisconsin who would you rather have in the post next year now that Happ is gone - Garza or whoever they plan to play there? For Purdue offensively would you rather have Garza or Harms? For Michigan IN THE POST, Garza or who? If you are talking about an inside offensive weapon in the Big Ten, please list all of these better options that teams will be worrying about.

I
Yeah. I bet you don’t have a dog in this battle. Right

I don't. I vote based on what I hear from whatever candidate fits what I believe regardless of party. I have voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, etc. Doesn't matter to me and shouldn't to you either.

That's the problems with the two parties. They both thing there are only two sides and can't think for themselves. They think they always have to be on one side and that their side is the "right side" and always right and the other side is to blame for all of the problems. Very simplistic thinking driven by the need of people wanting to be a part of something and their insecurities. Republicans always blame Democrats and vice versa for ruining America and the world but they are both the problem.

Based on your response, I will just assume (like you did for me) that you are in one of those groups and always think your side is right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT