ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Moss transferring according to report

Wishing Moss the best going forward. I believe he gave his best and had endure too much critcism. Some of it, (criticism), was fair and some of it was not. Hope he lands in a good place.

Plenty of coaches are probably worried about Garza? How do you know they are not? On Wisconsin who would you rather have in the post next year now that Happ is gone - Garza or whoever they plan to play there? For Purdue offensively would you rather have Garza or Harms? For Michigan IN THE POST, Garza or who? If you are talking about an inside offensive weapon in the Big Ten, please list all of these better options that teams will be worrying about.

I don’t know that they aren’t worried. Maybe they lose sleep over trying to limit Garza. Hahaha

Jeezus. I don’t know how much more complementary I can be about the kid without turning into a clueless fan boy. He’s the best post player in the league. All Big Coaches are kicking themselves that he’s not on their team.

Happy now, Mrs. Garza?

How good do you think Iowa would be if they walked the ball up the court and fed Garza constantly. With shooters waiting for kickout?

I think they would be very good.

Reactions: fivec61
I don’t know that they aren’t worried. Maybe they lose sleep over trying to limit Garza. Hahaha

Jeezus. I don’t know how much more complementary I can be about the kid without turning into a clueless fan boy. He’s the best post player in the league. All Big Coaches are kicking themselves that he’s not on their team.

Happy now, Mrs. Garza?

You get worked up that I supposedly don’t answer your question and then you don’t answer mine. I’m trying to have a back-and-forth conversation but because I say that I think Garza is one of the best low-post scorers in the league - nothing more - I’m Mrs. Garza. I hope this isn’t how you deal with actual important conversations in life around family and work.

You get worked up that I supposedly don’t answer your question and then you don’t answer mine. I’m trying to have a back-and-forth conversation but because I say that I think Garza is one of the best low-post scorers in the league - nothing more - I’m Mrs. Garza. I hope this isn’t how you deal with actual important conversations in life around family and work.

Hahaha

“important conversation...”

If opponents have double Luka. Then hopefully he can find an open shooter.
Ike was a 43 per cent three shooter last year, too bad he is gone. Not sure that Luka will command the double team like Tyler did,either
Bottom line, Fran has to scramble and find a decent option at shooting guard...like his job depends on it because this was the big crescendo season he has built towards for three years so not making the dance is not an option. ..this was going to be our sweet sixteen year..gotta get there one of these years,Fran.

Are you 10 years old? Are you confused and thinking I’m saying this conversation is important?

I’m not interested in “having a back and forth conversation” with you about who, specifically, Garza is better than.

It’s boring AF.

Sorry.

Go hug someone.

I’m not interested in “having a back and forth conversation” with you about who, specifically, Garza is better than.

It’s boring AF.

Sorry.

Go hug someone.

It’s only boring as f@ck because you are too much of a baby to come up with answers when someone questions what you say.

Why bother being being on this board if you want to be a such b*tch..

51UwubIEZHL.jpg

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
yeah, the short leash and not closing games probably bothered him. He didn't improve much on his handles/dribble drive in 4 years on campus, he wasn't going to become a star as a senior.

Fran has an issue recruiting/keeping on campus African american players. I'm sure a lot of posters will disagree and don't care, but most elite players are African American, so not being able to recruit/retain that ethic group doesn't bode well for competing for B1G title someday.
(1) Did Fran have a problem at his previous schools keeping A-A players.? Someone who is familiar with those schools, esp. Siena can tell us. I kinda doubt it.
(2) My memory escapes me with the names of A-A players that have left in previous years. I know Ellingson wasn't one.

Moss was a great Hawks and had many contributions in his 3 years. I'm not surprised at this move, but the timing is odd. Hopefully Fran knew about this a while ago.

Hate to lose a guard on this roster, but at least we won't have to bang our heads against a wall in most games wondering where Moss went to. He has been sort of a mystery as a player.

Best of luck to him!
Fran comments on Moss' departure.

Watch:

I have supported Fran in the past, although questioning his recruiting production occasionally, but if we do not make the dance this year, l probably reconsider that support.
It bothers me to hear him concede that Ike" sought a bigger role" and evidently Fran was unwillingly to commit to that.
I now begin to wonder if it is all about protecting Conners minutes for Fran.
I like Conner and have never questioned his value to the team but I would think that Fran would do everything in his power to retain a three year starter with unique skill set like Ike.
He was a top shooter who was creating his own shot more as the season wore on. He was 2nd on the team in steals which create rare transition baskets. He will be missed.

He was a top shooter who was creating his own shot more as the season wore on. He was 2nd on the team in steals which create rare transition baskets. He will be missed.

Indeed.

Lots invested just to lose valuable experience.

Not blaming Fran. I think the transfer market has reached stupid proportions. Too many hangers on getting in these kids’ ears.

Reactions: fivec61
How good do you think Iowa would be if they walked the ball up the court and fed Garza constantly. With shooters waiting for kickout?

I think they would be very good.

Next year is screaming for a style change. Slower pace, more half court sets, more half court defensive emphasis. Play JBO, CJ, and Joe and let it rain from the perimeter after post touches from Garza and Pemsl.

I have supported Fran in the past, although questioning his recruiting production occasionally, but if we do not make the dance this year, l probably reconsider that support.
It bothers me to hear him concede that Ike" sought a bigger role" and evidently Fran was unwillingly to commit to that.
I like Conner and have never questioned his value to the team but I would think that Fran would do everything in his power to retain a three year starter with unique skill set like Ike.

Moss was simply a volume shooter who struggled to meaningfully impact the game in any other facets. You aren’t going anywhere in the Big 10 with Moss as one your primary players. He’s a below-average Big 10 starter. I share the concern, however, that we don’t have any better available options though.

I have supported Fran in the past, although questioning his recruiting production occasionally ....

He will be missed.

I agree with your last thought. And, I agree with your first thought.

But, there is no way I would ever support a coach if I felt he was protecting minutes for his son. I don't think Fran does that. Fran wants to win.

Moss is a mystery player. Terrific talent, sounds like a great your man - but in his first couple of years he would just disappear for long portions of the game, and it impacted his minutes in 18/19. He seemed to have an "aggressive switch" that was only on every once in while. If he had that switch on 80% of the time, he would have huge minutes.

Last edited:
My guess is that it’s less about the minutes and more about his role while on the court. He wants to be the guy we saw in overtime of the Tennessee game, and it’s just not ideal for the Hawks, who have too many other quality options

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

You forget that we also have a (hopefully) talented point guard coming in who is desperately needed. Frederick should also get minutes if he earns them. Why shouldn't Fran want to save some minutes for these guys given Moss' history of cold stretches during the season?

Also Connor has become the ultimate the scapegoat for every problem Iowa has had over the past year.

I know that we can’t do anything about Baer graduating but he’s the one that next year’s team is really going to miss, not Moss.

Baer’s A bigger loss than Cook & Dailey as well.

It’ll really show Baer’s impact on a poor defensive team like Iowa. He had so many key blocked shots, rebounds, & steals.

Reactions: HFFL64
We lost 2 of the few guys on the team that can create their own shot against athletic teams. We lost 4 of our best athletes in Baer, Cook, Moss, and Dailey. Forgive me if I am not ecstatic about how the off-season has transpired. Fran has proven over time that he will go out of his way to heap praise on his players even when their on court production doesn’t match what he professes. I will always support the Hawks, but I am reluctant to think that what is coming in is better than what went out. This will likely be one of the most unathletic teams in the B1G and will struggle against defenses that can get into your shorts and offenses that can penetrate and kick. Does this mean that Iowa won’t have a good year? I really don’t know. I, for one, am disappointed in the departures.

We lost 2 of the few guys on the team that can create their own shot against athletic teams. We lost 4 of our best athletes in Baer, Cook, Moss, and Dailey. Forgive me if I am not ecstatic about how the off-season has transpired. Fran has proven over time that he will go out of his way to heap praise on his players even when their on court production doesn’t match what he professes. I will always support the Hawks, but I am reluctant to think that what is coming in is better than what went out. This will likely be one of the most unathletic teams in the B1G and will struggle against defenses that can get into your shorts and offenses that can penetrate and kick. Does this mean that Iowa won’t have a good year? I really don’t know. I, for one, am disappointed in the departures.

I'm disappointed in the departures too but it doesn't me we aren't going to have a good team. Time will tell, but don't bury them yet, they may surprise you.

Reactions: BBHawk
The fact Connor gets more minutes is puzzling to me since he not shown many offensive skills other than operating the point but his lack of scoring is not very encouraging. The guy is average defensively but the overall do not bode well going into the summer of his third year.

The fact Connor gets more minutes is puzzling to me since he not shown many offensive skills other than operating the point but his lack of scoring is not very encouraging. The guy is average defensively but the overall do not bode well going into the summer of his third year.
He lost most of his first year due to multiple illnesses - it's not like he was practicing and working out with the team. He took a step back. Last year he was just getting his legs back under himself. I look for Connor to take a big step forward this year.

Assist to turnover ratio. Connor averaged 3 assists to Moss' 1. They had the same amount of turnovers. Connors overall shooting percentage was actually only slightly worse than Moss. Obviously when Moss was hot Connor should have barely been touching the floor. But when Moss was completely cold, like he was in the last leg of the season, you have an actual reason to put Connor out there instead of him.

Reactions: skydog0784
I think Moss is getting bad advice.

He has one year left; he's a starter; he plays in the B1G.

If he wants more playing time, EARN IT. At Iowa.

Don't run away from the challenge.

I'm disappointed in the departures too but it doesn't me we aren't going to have a good team. Time will tell, but don't bury them yet, they may surprise you.

I’m not. As I said I will always support them. This is just really disturbing and the makeup of them team bothers me.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I don't like this departure but it at least clears up the rotation a bit. Losing Moss will hurt but most likely not as much as we think, he was unguardable when on but most of the time he played like a bench player. His defense was average at best and he wasn't in at the end of games due to his inability to know time + score.(IE: 35 seconds left in the game, Hawks up by one and he would be the player to shoot that early 3 or drive to the hoop and get stripped early in the shot clock.)

The best defenders on the team were Baer, Dailey and Wieskamp/CMac but surprisingly I thought Bohannon wasn't bad this year and was the most improved on defense. He still wasn't great but I actually saw him stop people and he even won a game for us being the only player to actually box out on this team!!

The lineup's will most likely look like this:
CMac - Toussaint
Bohannon - Friedrick
Wieskamp - PMac
Nunge - Pemsl
Garza - Kriener

I think Pemsl won't start, at least at the beginning due to coming back from a major surgery. Offensively CMac just needs hit his 3's at a 35% clip and I think the offense will end up being one of the most efficient in the nation but if he doesn't then the inside lanes will get clogged up and we will have long draughts later on in the B10 as people sag of CMac daring him to shoot. Collectively for this team to make the NCAA again they really only need to improve on 2 things, defense and box outs.

CMac, Bohannon, Wieskamp are ok at this aspect though I expect them to improve a bit again but Garza is beyond pitiful at both. Instead of polishing his already great offense he needs to spend the offseason mostly working on the defensive fundamentals, especially his so called box outs. Boxing out directly underneath the basket is NOT a true box out!! I lost count of how many times the ball went up, Garza turned his fat but around to box out DIRECTLY under the freaking basket and allowed his guy to get the offensive rebound!! Move your ass and force your guy away from the basket, don't just give him the best rebounding position.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
The lineup's will most likely look like this:
CMac - Toussaint
Bohannon - Friedrick
Wieskamp - PMac

Nunge - Pemsl
Garza - Kriener

I think Pemsl won't start, at least at the beginning due to coming back from a major surgery.

2 comments - yet another way to misspell Fredrick :) , and Pemsl's surgery was not as serious as a repair. They just removed a plate and screws. Serious enough to warrant a rehab period, but no new ligament repairs. He should be fully ready to go this fall.

2 comments - yet another way to misspell Fredrick :) , and Pemsl's surgery was not as serious as a repair. They just removed a plate and screws. Serious enough to warrant a rehab period, but no new ligament repairs. He should be fully ready to go this fall.

I hope Cordell is 100% by Fall. He's the hustle and intensity guy that can help fill in the loss of Baer. (see isu game)

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT