ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Wrestling in an auditorium?

ih8iast8

HR Heisman
Nov 7, 2011
An ISU Dual meet is being held in Stephens auditorium? That's about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

Reactions: HKI
Anything for publicity, they did something similar at Va Tech. Guess they wanted another "curtain call".........

Reactions: MitchL
Kind of like wrestling in a football stadium.

LOL!!! Crablegs bit on the first "curtain call"! Nice! Post pictures of it when its done. Should get at least 2-3K fans at the auditorium, anything less would have to be considered a disappointment, right?

AR-151119743.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

my guess is dresser doesn't know what cy stephen is

Any truth to Metcalf and Zadick having a duet before the meet? That I would pay to see even at CY. Need to get butts in the seats! I try to refrain from this type of fun banter, but just too easy after Crablegs comment.

No...no it's not.
So, Grapple on the Gridiron wasn't a promotional opportunity for Iowa? Geez, guess it was just dumb luck all the promotion they got from that.

I was at Grapple on the Gridiron and it was awesome! One of the coolest events I've been to. I'll also be at the dual in Cy Stephens and expect it to be a cool/unique event. Anything that promotes and excites around wrestling I'm all for.

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
Anything for publicity, they did something similar at Va Tech. Guess they wanted another "curtain call".........
^^^This. Dresser is desperate to try and revive a dead program. Anything to get a headline. You will also notice he's bringing in an unusually high number of mid to low level recruits. Low risk move because likely not much $$$ tied up. If even one guy makes the lineup, he can tout success.
Fans are eating his act up with a "sponge and a spoon ".

^^^This. Dresser is desperate to try and revive a dead program. Anything to get a headline. You will also notice he's bringing in an unusually high number of mid to low level recruits. Low risk move because likely not much $$$ tied up. If even one guy makes the lineup, he can tout success.
Fans are eating his act up with a "sponge and a spoon ".
The hate is strong with this one haha

But is it objectively accurate?

I think it is. :p
Mostly, but is it a bad thing? Yes he's trying to re-energize and revive a dying program. Should he just let it die? Should he not try to sell hope and excitement to the fans?

It is also true that he is bringing in a lot of mid-level recruits. If one of them hits and is an multi-AA that is awesome. He is also bringing in the #2 recruit in the country (FLO). I think it's a top 5 class (maybe only top 10, but still good). How he could convince any recruit to come into the steaming pile of crap program is beyond me.

Dresser has all of the management/marketer/sales skills that Brands lacks. I'm not going to say he's a better wrestling coach (technique, running practices, etc.), but he is the better CEO. I think that is also an objectively accurate statement.

The dual might be a unique atmosphere but to compare it to G.O.T.G is asinine. Besides ISU is a bad team. Might aswell watch a play/dance there instead. Might get a more entertaining evening that way
Of course the wrestling is not at the same level, and they can't fit 40+ thousand in the auditorium, but that's not the comparison being made. The comparison being made is that they are both unique ideas of moving a match to a non-traditional wrestling venue with the goal to promote the team. The size of event is not comparable, but the idea is very similar.

So, Grapple on the Gridiron wasn't a promotional opportunity for Iowa? Geez, guess it was just dumb luck all the promotion they got from that.

I was at Grapple on the Gridiron and it was awesome! One of the coolest events I've been to. I'll also be at the dual in Cy Stephens and expect it to be a cool/unique event. Anything that promotes and excites around wrestling I'm all for.

I like your excitement for the event. But in my mind. All this is doing is taking a small group of fans and making half of them sit further away from the action than they normally would be.

Reactions: HKI
The dual might be a unique atmosphere but to compare it to G.O.T.G is asinine. Besides ISU is a bad team. Might aswell watch a play/dance there instead. Might get a more entertaining evening that way
They already did that. Called it "Beauty and the Beast" with the gymnastics team. I guess the gymnastics crowd was bigger than the wrestling crowd.

I like your excitement for the event. But in my mind. All this is doing is taking a small group of fans and making half of them sit further away from the action than they normally would be.

You realize this isn't a new, innovative promotion, right. It has been done at several schools with success. Just because its something doesn't make sense for Iowa doesn't mean it's a bad idea for other schools.

Wrestling needs to be consistently promoting right now. Pooh-poohing successful efforts is counterproductive to that.

I would rather have 1500-2000 fans in an auditorium then 1200 in an arena. He is thinking outside the box. He is shaking and moving. How anyone who claims to love wrestling can be negative about something like this is beyond me. Good for Dresser.

Also, I am not sure Dresser runs practice. It looks like Zadick is doing that.

In regards to bringing in mid level recruits. I am guessing he is doing the best he can. Eventually, the team will move into a top 10-15 range with those kids and it will be easier to sell the top level recruits on the program. The excitement and hope will be back or at least at a higher level and it will be easier to get those high level recruits.

He seems to doing a lot of things as well as they can be done as of right now. It will be fun to watch. I can't wait until you guys and them have a dual meet and the outcome is not certain before it starts.

No it's not. The view of the mat will be atrocious in Stephens. The romans had it right when they built the colleseum in the shape of a circle.

You don't seem to be aware that this has been a successful promotion at several other schools.

Mizzou did this a couple of years ago. It was a pretty cool event and definitely got people talking about it. I don't see how anyone can take it as a negative.

Reactions: Yellow Snow
Of course the wrestling is not at the same level, and they can't fit 40+ thousand in the auditorium, but that's not the comparison being made. The comparison being made is that they are both unique ideas of moving a match to a non-traditional wrestling venue with the goal to promote the team. The size of event is not comparable, but the idea is very similar.
well how would we know the comparison you were trying to make based off your initial post. Are we just supposed to guess what you mean when you say "kind of like playing in a football stadium"?

Also i dont think anyone is really booing the event. I think everyone here supports promoting wrestling anyway it happens. More like poking a little fun because it's the Cyclones..

well how would we know the comparison you were trying to make based off your initial post. Are we just supposed to guess what you mean when you say "kind of like playing in a football stadium"?
I guess I assumed it is possible to infer the context of my reply by reading the post at which the reply was directed. The one which said that it was a publicity event (kind of like the GOTG.)

He is doing what every college wrestling coach should be doing, promoting his program and trying to build a following.

Not every program is blessed with 10-15,000 fans coming through the doors for every event.

I guess I assumed it is possible to infer the context of my reply by reading the post at which the reply was directed. The one which said that it was a publicity event (kind of like the GOTG.)
Considering your posting history its safe to assume most of us assumed otherwise.

How many people does Stephens auditorium hold? G.O.T.G. was a promotional opportunity to expand the audience. Can Stephens Auditorium hold more than Hilton?

You realize this isn't a new, innovative promotion, right. It has been done at several schools with success. Just because its something doesn't make sense for Iowa doesn't mean it's a bad idea for other schools.

Wrestling needs to be consistently promoting right now. Pooh-poohing successful efforts is counterproductive to that.

Never said it was new idea. Never said it was a good or bad idea.

Just said that half of the fans that are normally close to the action are now further away. Actually it's probably closer to 60-75% of the fans are sitting further away since they are only facing one side of the mat. Don't see how that really benefits the atmosphere or how it makes things more exciting.

You don't seem to be aware that this has been a successful promotion at several other schools.
Jacob Warner's high school, Washington CHS in Illinois, has done this a couple times over the last 2 years with OPRF participating last season. Although not D1 material, it was still a successful promotion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT