ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Wrestling in an auditorium?

We,ve got one here in Kirkwood, about a mile away from my home. He must've been kinda short and thin........or a really poor designer for normal sized people.
sigh.gif

Or perhaps a good designer for the original owners?

I’m not the only one who cuts the legs off all new tables and chairs that I buy, am I?:D

All my friends know the low rider.
Low rider is a little higher....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi
Fair enough but that wasn't the case when Pollard first did it. They had to turn fans away at the door. It was done to keep Hawkeye fans out.

There was literally only one dual in the Curtain Era where attendance was curbed because of the setup. Why are you still bent out of shape about it 10 years later?

There was literally only one dual in the Curtain Era where attendance was curbed because of the setup. Why are you still bent out of shape about it 10 years later?

We jus don’t like yo khiiiind around here, Chippers...

Last edited:
Reactions: honkey69
I was in Stephens on Thursday with Mrs. V. and mentioned to her that they were going to a hold a wrestling meet

"Why would they do that?"

"Helps promote wrestling"

"How does it promote wrestling?"

"Umm, it's something new"

"So, cramming people into an auditorum that you can only see from one side, and the facility has only has three bathrooms is something new? More like something stupid"

(and I took out some naughty words) . Anyway, she's not a fan of the idea, but I don't think she was really going to it either way.

In the end, I hope it works and am eager to hear about how it goes.

In the event that they need more suggestions to promote wrestling (and I'm just spitballing here) how about in a ball pit from Chucky E Cheese, or in a swimming pool or ice rink? Or maybe they can larp with swords ?

Last edited:
I was in Stephens on Thursday with Mrs. V. and mentioned to her that they were going to a hold a wrestling meet

"So, cramming people into an auditorum that you can only see from one side to a facility that only has three bathrooms is something new? More like something stupid"

(and I took out some naughty words) . Anyway, she's not a fan of the idea, but I don't think she was really going to it either way.

In the event that they need more suggestions to promote wrestling (and I'm just spitballing here) how about in a ball pit from Chucky E Cheese, or in a swimming pool or ice rink? Or maybe they can larp with swords ?

How ‘bout in a swimming pool filled with shards of ice shaped like swords?

Reactions: Vallholl

"So, cramming people into an auditorum that you can only see from one side to a facility that only has three bathrooms is something new? More like something stupid"

A few years ago the DIII Championships were in an ice rink and the attendance was top 5 in DIII history. Of course, being in Cedar Rapids helped that.

No, this idea is not Kurdelmeieresque, but it is an honest effort to promote the sport. If you think you have a better idea then send it on to Dresser - or Brands, or Schwab, or Ryan... Or maybe to PinsandPints, Randy Novak, WDDM or bniccols - someone who can, perhaps, act upon it.

No, this idea is not Kurdelmeieresque, but it is an honest effort to promote the sport. If you think you have a better idea then send it on to Dresser - or Brands, or Schwab, or Ryan... Or maybe to PinsandPints, Randy Novak, WDDM or bniccols - someone who can, perhaps, act upon it.
Honestly my first thought was that it was a joke and almost tweeted at Jamie Pollard, "For real?"

My second thought was that "Fifth Column" (of Zadick, St. John, and Metcalf) is working.

My third thought is the realization that "It's real".

I like the idea of shoe horning 42,287+1 fans into Kinnick for a wrestling meet against Minnesota on November 10th before the Northwestern Football Game.

Reactions: GG121AND2 and HKI
This email was sent out today:

Dear Faculty and Staff

As the new Head Wrestling Coach at Iowa State University, I wanted to introduce myself AND invite you to be our guest at a unique event.

I also wanted to tell you how much I respect the work and support you provide for our student-athletes.

Our next home dual is Sunday, November 26 (2 PM) versus Rider and will take place in Stephens Auditorium. While Iowa State wrestling is a storied program with a deep tradition, one thing we have never done is put a wrestling mat on the stage of the fine arts center. This will be a first: Ancient art meets fine arts.

I want to extend a special offer for you and your guests to attend our match for FREE. I will give a chalk talk at 1:15 in the Celebrity Café in Stephens Auditorium, where there is a cash bar nearby.

To claim your free reserved tickets, stop by the Athletics Ticket Office, located on the northwest corner of Jack Trice Stadium in parking lot 85W, during regular business hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, beginning Monday, Nov. 20 thru Wednesday, Nov. 22.

Thank you again for your dedication to our student-athletes and support of the Iowa State Wrestling program. I look forward to seeing you in Stephens Auditorium next Sunday.

Go Cyclones!

Kevin Dresser

Reactions: HKI and Vallholl
FREE! The local homeless folk are spreading the word.. Stephens Auditorium is going to smell a bit like the set of Shameless.. Bring some whiskey shooters, quarters and pork rinds to fend them off:p

Reactions: HawkFT
Fine by me if ISU wants to wrestle there. Gotta revamp the program anyway they can.

I wouldn't want to watch a wrestling meet in that type of facility, but to each his own.

Reactions: ih8iast8 and HKI

"So, cramming people into an auditorum that you can only see from one side, and the facility has only has three bathrooms is something new? More like something stupid"

This is precisely where I'm stuck and I feel like I'm missing something. Hope it draws them in.

Again, entirely different, and just mentioning the obvious: outdoors, on a carrier, scenic, military-related, etc.

Doing it in just another auditorium than the auditorium you were doing it in isn't even remotely comparable.

I know! If Dresser really wanted to make a statement he would have his teams wrestle on the moon! Amirite?!

I mean he didn't even want to wrestle in Iowa City for National duals a couple years ago. WHAT AN ORANGE!

This is precisely where I'm stuck and I feel like I'm missing something. Hope it draws them in.

I don’t know why you’re “stuck” on it when several other schools have done similar events to great reviews.

I don’t know why you’re “stuck” on it when several other schools have done similar events to great reviews.

No, I'm "stuck" on not understanding the appeal, which I've asked about a few times with almost no answer other than "anything is good for the sport" or "other schools have done it." I'm asking for why people thought it was interesting, if that was their opinion, and why Stevens would provide that interest where Hilton wouldn't. I'm simply asking for specifics within those "great reviews." "It was fun," doesn't inform me of anything.

No, I'm "stuck" on not understanding the appeal, which I've asked about a few times with almost no answer other than "anything is good for the sport" or "other schools have done it." I'm asking for why people thought it was interesting, if that was their opinion, and why Stevens would provide that interest where Hilton wouldn't. I'm simply asking for specifics within those "great reviews." "It was fun," doesn't inform me of anything.

It’s different. It’s intimate. It’s something to promote. No one is arguing it’s steak. It’s sizzle though, and wrestling needs sizzle.

Evidence: No one would be talking about an ISU - Ryder dual but there’s now a 3 day thread on HR about it and we’ve been talking about it for two weeks.

Reactions: crablegs1
It’s different. It’s intimate. It’s something to promote. No one is arguing it’s steak. It’s sizzle though, and wrestling needs sizzle.

Evidence: No one would be talking about an ISU - Ryder dual but there’s now a 3 day thread on HR about it and we’ve been talking about it for two weeks.

"It's sizzle..." means nothing though, which is precisely why I've been asking my question. What the hell does that mean? "Intimate" makes sense as a descriptor, but I'm not sure that fits for Stevens, because they will be up on a stage, and everybody else lower, on one side, going farther back. But I can see a full house being far more intimate than a 1/8 full Hilton, surely. Our discussion isn't about the event, and most likely not about attending it, it is about its merits, and many of the posts were just taking people to task comparing it to the Grapple. I'll grant you "different", as it is in a different location and up on a stage, and I'll even grant "intimate", I hope there is a great turnout.

"It's sizzle..." means nothing though, which is precisely why I've been asking my question. What the hell does that mean? "Intimate" makes sense as a descriptor, but I'm not sure that fits for Stevens, because they will be up on a stage, and everybody else lower, on one side, going farther back. But I can see a full house being far more intimate than a 1/8 full Hilton, surely. Our discussion isn't about the event, and most likely not about attending it, it is about its merits, and many of the posts were just taking people to task comparing it to the Grapple. I'll grant you "different", as it is in a different location and up on a stage, and I'll even grant "intimate", I hope there is a great turnout.

Sizzle isn’t nothing. Wrestling desperately needs it right now. Draw positive attention. Get people talking. Get additional news coverage. Promote. Promote. Promote. And again, for about the 5th time, similar events have created positive interest at other schools. So what’s there to be critical about? It wouldn’t make sense for the Iowa program but the same standard can’t be applied at ISU.

It isn’t the exact same thing as the Grapple but promoting a program and a sport is one core element of each. Iowa and ISU are not on the same plane in regard to attendance, profile and support so they need to do different things a promote themselves.

Sizzle isn’t nothing. Wrestling desperately needs it right now. Draw positive attention. Get people talking. Get additional news coverage. Promote. Promote. Promote. And again, for about the 5th time, similar events have created positive interest at other schools. So what’s there to be critical about? It wouldn’t make sense for the Iowa program but the same standard can’t be applied at ISU.

It isn’t the exact same thing as the Grapple but promoting a program and a sport is one core element of each. Iowa and ISU are not on the same plane in regard to attendance, profile and support so they need to do different things a promote themselves.

I meant sizzle is a silly word without definition. You could claim that tanning wrestlers to look orange for meets is sizzle, or that wearing a pin chain is sizzle, or that coaches tweeting veiled insults at other programs is sizzle. You could promote a meet in Hilton without having to promote it being in Stephens, because, as you posted, "promote. promote. promote." You keep taking offense, like I'm insulting the idea. I asked for specific opinions from those familiar with it, you gave three reasons, one of which was a completely undefined "sizzle." I'm not questioning its success elsewhere, I'm asking why it was successful. Also, I never compared it to it happening at Iowa, you just are insulted for insulted sakes.

I meant sizzle is a silly word without definition. You could claim that tanning wrestlers to look orange for meets is sizzle, or that wearing a pin chain is sizzle, or that coaches tweeting veiled insults at other programs is sizzle. You could promote a meet in Hilton without having to promote it being in Stephens, because, as you posted, "promote. promote. promote." You keep taking offense, like I'm insulting the idea. I asked for specific opinions from those familiar with it, you gave three reasons, one of which was a completely undefined "sizzle." I'm not questioning its success elsewhere, I'm asking why it was successful. Also, I never compared it to it happening at Iowa, you just are insulted for insulted sakes.

I've explained it to you in several posts. Now you're just being obtuse.

I've explained it to you in several posts. Now you're just being obtuse.

You explained different, intimate and "sizzle", and this is what you said about "sizzle":

Sizzle isn’t nothing. Wrestling desperately needs it right now. Draw positive attention. Get people talking. Get additional news coverage. Promote. Promote. Promote.

You explained different, intimate and "sizzle", and this is what you said about "sizzle":

Good summary.:eek:

I don’t know what else to tell you. I have heard fantastic reports from those who attended, just like similar events at other schools. People are talking about and actually showed up for a freaking ISU - Rider dual. What else do you need to know?

Again, entirely different, and just mentioning the obvious: outdoors, on a carrier, scenic, military-related, etc.

Doing it in just another auditorium than the auditorium you were doing it in isn't even remotely comparable.

My kid wrestled on the USS Midway last summer at sun down. It was pretty cool.

Good summary.:eek:

I don’t know what else to tell you. I have heard fantastic reports from those who attended, just like similar events at other schools. People are talking about and actually showed up for a freaking ISU - Rider dual. What else do you need to know?

You are missing what I've asked for. I want to know what their reports were about, specifically. What did they compliment? The lighting? The orchestra in the pit? The curtains? Did they actually use the word "sizzle"? I haven't been to one so I was looking for descriptions. You and I are likely wired differently, which is obviously fine, when someone comes back from a meet/show and says, "wow, that was fantastic!" I ask what was great about it, you likely don't and take it at the value of the superlative. Some of it I can obviously imagine for myself, like being on an aircraft carrier or in a football stadium outside. Harder for me when it is an auditorium when compared to an arena. Also, and last I'll post about this, I haven't read or heard anything about how the "atmosphere" actually was from the meet, I haven't heard or read anyone talking about it since.

This, for example was the Register article about it: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...r-special-dual-stephens-auditorium/896240001/
"The dual was a special one for the Cyclones. It was held at Stephens Auditorium, the multilevel theater on campus located less than half a mile from Hilton Coliseum. It was Iowa State’s version of a growing trend in collegiate wrestling, where teams host competitions away from the usual gymnasiums and arenas in an attempt raise the sport’s profile." That described nothing, other than it being "special" and the general description of Stephens. That was the entirety of the mention of "special-ness," so hard to visualize it.

You are missing what I've asked for. I want to know what their reports were about, specifically. What did they compliment? The lighting? The orchestra in the pit? The curtains? Did they actually use the word "sizzle"? I haven't been to one so I was looking for descriptions. You and I are likely wired differently, which is obviously fine, when someone comes back from a meet/show and says, "wow, that was fantastic!" I ask what was great about it, you likely don't and take it at the value of the superlative. Some of it I can obviously imagine for myself, like being on an aircraft carrier or in a football stadium outside. Harder for me when it is an auditorium when compared to an arena. Also, and last I'll post about this, I haven't read or heard anything about how the "atmosphere" actually was from the meet, I haven't heard or read anyone talking about it since.

This, for example was the Register article about it: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...r-special-dual-stephens-auditorium/896240001/
"The dual was a special one for the Cyclones. It was held at Stephens Auditorium, the multilevel theater on campus located less than half a mile from Hilton Coliseum. It was Iowa State’s version of a growing trend in collegiate wrestling, where teams host competitions away from the usual gymnasiums and arenas in an attempt raise the sport’s profile." That described nothing, other than it being "special" and the general description of Stephens. That was the entirety of the mention of "special-ness," so hard to visualize it.
You've never been in an auditorium? It's easier for you to imagine being on an aircraft carrier? Must have been in the Navy.

Reactions: HKI

I don't think it's a case of being wired differently. You don't seem to understand the steak vs. sizzle metaphor. That, or your just being completely obtuse. You keep looking for steak where it does not exist nor was it intended to exist.

More people attended this dual due to the unique venue, more people talked about this dual due to the unique venue, more reporting was done on this dual due to the unique venue. And, on top of it, the people that attended enjoyed themselves. Promotion was the point and it succeeded, just as it has at many other schools.

What the heck else do you possibly need to know?

I don't think it's a case of being wired differently. You don't seem to understand the steak vs. sizzle metaphor. That, or your just being completely obtuse. You keep looking for steak where it does not exist nor was it intended to exist.

More people attended this dual due to the unique venue, more people talked about this dual due to the unique venue, more reporting was done on this dual due to the unique venue. And, on top of it, the people that attended enjoyed themselves. Promotion was the point and it succeeded, just as it has at many other schools.

HKI just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. He makes zero good points on anything in any of his posts on this forum.

I'm not looking for "steak" or looking for "sizzle", I asked you to describe what the sizzle was, or repeat what others told you the sizzle was. That is the thing about using "sizzle", it was a description of a sound made, but you aren't using it as that description, you are using to to describe the atmosphere, which I guess you can't describe in any other way. Did it succeed? Was 1,300 fans the goal? What would they have gotten otherwise? I really can't be more clear, and really you can't repeat yourself any more than you already have, this thread should be done. I've asked for descriptions, you are stuck on sizzle, let's move on.

Click below for Cylone Report link and one guy's perspective in post #61
>>>***Rider Dual in Stephens 2:00PM on Sunday***<<<<

Thank you sir. Even he doesn't describe anything regarding the event itself, just that he went because of the venue. Glad it brought him in. I'd be intrigued to see how he compares it to the other 5/6 meets he has been to before. Did anybody in this thread go to the meet?

ADVERTISEMENT