ADVERTISEMENT

ISU Wrestling in an auditorium?

It actually looks pretty cool to me...

Here is a video from when they did it at VT:

Anything that brings fans is good, but I don't get why this looked any cooler than any other well-attended wrestling meet. Because of the tiered seating?

Obviously wrestling outdoors is very different for many reasons, one that it is outdoors, which is unusual for wrestling, and two that it could fit a few more fans. Stephens would be more intimate but not much different than Hilton, would it?

I'm not against it, but it appears to be Dresser acknowledging the hurting fan base currently. Hopefully he can use events like this to boost attendance in general and not have to stoop to this.

Iowa wasn't stooping to anything with Grapple, to suggest it is a "pr stunt" of some sort of equivalence is nonsense.

Jacob Warner's high school, Washington CHS in Illinois, has done this a couple times over the last 2 years with OPRF participating last season. Although not D1 material, it was still a successful promotion.

Why successful? What is different that got people excited? Not snarking, genuinely curious, feel like I'm missing something.

Never said it was new idea. Never said it was a good or bad idea.

Just said that half of the fans that are normally close to the action are now further away. Actually it's probably closer to 60-75% of the fans are sitting further away since they are only facing one side of the mat. Don't see how that really benefits the atmosphere or how it makes things more exciting.

First of all, I have never been to Stephens Auditorium but I'm not sure that's true. Second, a unique event like this brings out fans that don't normally attend. Not like those people have a great view of the action from at home on their couch.

It amazes me that someone can be a fan of wrestling and pooh pooh things that have shown to be successful generating interest and publicity. We need things like this (and bigger).

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/sports/how-brian-smith-made-mizzou-wrestling-local-market

How many people does Stephens auditorium hold? G.O.T.G. was a promotional opportunity to expand the audience. Can Stephens Auditorium hold more than Hilton?
My guess is the capacity is <3,000. That's why people are looking at it as a gimmick

Have 2,000 people there and say you nearly had a sellout, or have 2,000 fans at Hilton and realize had 1/6 of a sellout. Fans laughed at Carl for the curtain. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

Why successful? What is different that got people excited? Not snarking, genuinely curious, feel like I'm missing something.
It generated some press and they got folks that would not normally come to see a dual to see what the fuss was about. The kids enjoyed the atmosphere as well.

First of all, I have never been to Stephens Auditorium but I'm not sure that's true. Second, a unique event like this brings out fans that don't normally attend. Not like those people have a great view of the action from at home on their couch.

It amazes me that someone can be a fan of wrestling and pooh pooh things that have shown to be successful generating interest and publicity. We need things like this (and bigger).

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/sports/how-brian-smith-made-mizzou-wrestling-local-market

I'm not complaining, just curious. I get softball stadium, it is outside, it is unique. But why is a "theater" or "auditorium" any different or more unique than an arena? Like I said before, I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

"Two seasons ago, while pregame festivities for an Oct. 10 Mizzou-Florida football clash were in full swing, Smith brought his Tigers outside to the front lawn of Hearnes Center nearby Faurot Field so the public could see the team’s first practice of the season."

This makes sense and is clever.

"The plan was to do the same thing the next year, but the idea evolved to an even bigger and better stage. After some deliberation and planning, Smith was able to bring practice to the first floor of the Student Center.

“It was crazy, but it made it fun,” Smith said. “For our guys it was fun, and I know for a lot of students, it was an interesting thing to say, ‘Well, where’s my regular table? Right now there are two guys wrestling where I usually sit and eat lunch.’”"

This makes sense too, because students are already there, not having to go out of their way.

I get how this is different, but actually watching must be quite a bit worse for actual fans, but I guess that doesn't matter as much for a small crowd, especially if not that "in" to it to begin with.

Maybe its just sad that historic program like ISU has to do this, and Dresser's got a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
Dresser is a huge promoter for wrestling in general but yes, obviously for his programs too..he did the same things at VT. I personally like what he is doing, but your hate for him probably blinds the good he does too.

I don’t think Mitch hates Dresser, just ISU and Minne.

It generated some press and they got folks that would not normally come to see a dual to see what the fuss was about. The kids enjoyed the atmosphere as well.

The general wrestling atmosphere, or what was the different atmosphere inside the auditorium different than a gym/arena?

I'm thinking back to my high school, which was wrestling-mad, thankfully, and had meets in the gym. Thinking about the assembly/auditorium, it would have been up on a theater stage with seats out in one direction, and would have been hard to see much action, and I'm not sure I can envision the differing atmosphere. Obviously other auditoriums could be better set up, but I'm missing the intrigue that a larger, or outdoor venue would bring.

My guess is the capacity is <3,000. That's why people are looking at it as a gimmick

Have 2,000 people there and say you nearly had a sellout, or have 2,000 fans at Hilton and realize had 1/6 of a sellout. Fans laughed at Carl for the curtain. You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

From my memory the curtain pissed people off because they turned people away, claiming it was full. I don't remember if this was actually verified, and it was a long time ago. Turning people away from wrestling is disgusting.

Wow. You argue even when you don't know what you are talking about.

I have been to Stephens. Many times. It's built like any other civic center. Seats about the width of the stage with the rows widening as they go up.

Will there be a novelty behind this? Of course, cause they have never done it. Will it be better viewing for the fans? Absolutely not. If 2000 fans show up(big for ISU) a significantly larger percentage of them will be sitting a long ways from mat then if at Hilton.

I have never said that this isn't novel. I have never said that they may have an attendance boost from the novelty of it. But I have said, three times now, that the actual viewing of the meet, won't be as fan friendly as it is in Hilton.

Period.

Now, the question is if they are able to sell beer like they do at other CY Stephens events
Then I am sure fans will happily seat a longer way from the mat.

Last edited:
From my memory the curtain pissed people off because they turned people away, claiming it was full. I don't remember if this was actually verified, and it was a long time ago. Turning people away from wrestling is disgusting.

That was Jamie Pollard not Carl Sanders.

I have been to Stephens. Many times. It's built like any other ciciv center. Seats about the width of the stage with the rows widening as they go up.

Will there be a novelty behind this? Of course, cause they have never done it. Will it be better viewing for the fans? Absolutely not. If 2000 fans show up(big for ISU) a significantly larger percentage of them will be sitting a long ways from mat then if at Hilton.

I have never said that this isn't novel. I have never said that they may have an attendance boost from the novelty of it. But I have said, three times now, that the actual viewing of the meet, won't be as fan friendly as it is in Hilton.

Period.

Now, the question is if they are able to sell beer like they do at other CY Stephens events
Why are you so hung up on the viewing. The viewing in Kinnick was way worse than Carver. It’s not like you won’t be able to see. Viewing will be better than lots of NCAA seats.

Why are you so hung up on the viewing. The viewing in Kinnick was way worse than Carver. It’s not like you won’t be able to see. Viewing will be better than lots of NCAA seats.
And there's also a rumor floating around that Kelvin Dresser is renting the Ronald McDonald costume and will be doing magic tricks during intermission.
But I heard some comments from "Fight Night" that Dresser is old and crippled, so might not happen.

If anyone is comparing the novelty of holding a wrestling meet in a football field in front of almost 50,000 fans to holding it in just ANOTHER Indoor venue in front of 3000 or so fans is missing the point of doing something new and exciting

Were all of the seats in Kinnick the perfect viewing? Well sure no, but then again part of it was just being there. Out doors. On a football field with 50,000 other fans. That was worth a bad angle or two, wouldn't you say?

Having in another indoor venue. With practically the same amount of fans as usual? Well to me the novelty isnt that big of a draw. And to not see the wrestling as well, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Now. If the only goal to is to spark a little interest to bring out an extra 500 fans? Then great. But for me personally, short of the Grapple on the Girdiron, I'd rather see it with good viewing

Reactions: MitchL

I have been to Stephens. Many times. It's built like any other ciciv center. Seats about the width of the stage with the rows widening as they go up.

Period.

I’m more than happy to concede the viewing in the venue point to you. That’s fine. They might be further away. Ok. Doesn’t change the overall point. Teams do stuff like this to promote the program. This exact style event has shown to do just that. And heck, we have a two page thread on HR talking about it. Who would be talking an ISU/Rider dual several days in advance if not for this? No one.

College wrestling needs more strong local fan following. Promote, promote, promote. The future of the sport depends on it. Whatever works. Do it.

Ok, some of you have warmed me to the idea. I really like the Dresser hire & I hope he has nothing but success but for the life of me I can't stand Jamie Pollard. If Dresser is doing this to increase his fan base, great & I get it. If Pollard is doing this so he can put another Cyclone State billboard up on 380 & continue to refrain from letting Wrestling fans into Hilton because of his massive inferiority complex, then I stand by my original statement that this is stupid.

College wrestling needs more strong local fan following. Promote, promote, promote. The future of the sport depends on it. Whatever works. Do it.

ISU could do exactly what you have stated by taking down the Hilton curtain & much more effectively than holding a match in Stephens. Think how many western Iowans & southern Minnesotan's are being pushed away from the sport because of Pollards anger boner towards Iowa?

ISU could do exactly what you have stated by taking down the Hilton curtain & much more effectively than holding a match in Stephens. Think how many western Iowans & southern Minnesotan's are being pushed away from the sport because of Pollards anger boner towards Iowa?

I don’t get it. Even with the curtain there are like 6K-7K open seats at Hilton. How’s that pushing people away from the sport?

An ISU Dual meet is being held in Stephens auditorium? That's about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

LOL!!! Crablegs bit on the first "curtain call"! Nice! Post pictures of it when its done. Should get at least 2-3K fans at the auditorium, anything less would have to be considered a disappointment, right?

AR-151119743.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

Stupid idea. No fans will attend. Almost as stupid as having the NYE duals in FL at a high school. Not quite as dumb as OP's thread and the clown posting about attendance.

Ok, some of you have warmed me to the idea. I really like the Dresser hire & I hope he has nothing but success but for the life of me I can't stand Jamie Pollard. If Dresser is doing this to increase his fan base, great & I get it. If Pollard is doing this so he can put another Cyclone State billboard up on 380 & continue to refrain from letting Wrestling fans into Hilton because of his massive inferiority complex, then I stand by my original statement that this is stupid.
A wrestling billboard off a highway is impressive. Obviously not new to you guys but to a guy from New York i was completely shocked to see Matt McDonough on a billboard on my way to NAIA nationals a bunch of years ago

Sorry to hijack the thread but your post jogged my memory on how serious wrestling was in Iowa

Skeptical if it is as jvclark describes it. Just stage front center? If it is anything like the vag tech video I would think it would be much better. A stage that's like a colosseum and seats right up to the mat with great overhead viewing. ...

Reactions: purescurve
Maybe you missed that they did take down the curtain.

I don’t get it. Even with the curtain there are like 6K-7K open seats at Hilton. How’s that pushing people away from the sport?

Fair enough but that wasn't the case when Pollard first did it. They had to turn fans away at the door. It was done to keep Hawkeye fans out.

Fair enough but that wasn't the case when Pollard first did it. They had to turn fans away at the door. It was done to keep Hawkeye fans out.

I also thought the curtain was dumb and petty so far be it from me to defend it but I don’t think keeping Iowa fans out harms ISU wrestling.

I also thought the curtain was dumb and petty so far be it from me to defend it but I don’t think keeping Iowa fans out harms ISU wrestling.

You are right, it doesn't hurt ISU, It harms ALL Wrestling. That's what pollard is too ignorant to understand. You wanted that Gym full of ANY wrestling fan when the UI vs ISU wrestling dual was at it's peak. It gets kids interested in the sport that may not. We packed Carver to the fire marshalls capacity for those meets & I am certain it excited kids to get interested in the sport.

When you market an olympic sport, you never miss an opportunity to open peoples eyes to it. That's what pisses me off to this day with what he did.

I’m more than happy to concede the viewing in the venue point to you. That’s fine. They might be further away. Ok. Doesn’t change the overall point. Teams do stuff like this to promote the program. This exact style event has shown to do just that. And heck, we have a two page thread on HR talking about it. Who would be talking an ISU/Rider dual several days in advance if not for this? No one.

On that point I couldn't agree more.

I heard that during Vietnam War treaty talks in Paris, they argued for hours about the dimensions of the table the were sitting at.

Reactions: Dagboi
PITT at ASU this Sunday at Gammge Auditorium.
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. As a transplanted Hawk fan I usually follow ASU on the internet and maybe go to A meet every couple years. This is a opportunity to check out a cool building and watch wrestling in one shot.

Reactions: HKI and whejoe
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. As a transplanted Hawk fan I usually follow ASU on the internet and maybe go to A meet every couple years. This is a opportunity to check out a cool building and watch wrestling in one shot.
Lived down the street from some of his work in Lakeland, FL. Not familiar with Gammge.

I can't believe Zeke Jones is going so low in promoting this "gimmick"..
Its a shame he has to go to these lengths just to get people to show up.
Pathetic. What a CLOWN!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT